HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend 2010 events?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 66 37.93%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 4:37 PM
ON3P Skis

Thanks for the link to that Flickr show. Those photos were awesome!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 12:58 AM

Font

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Samsung on TD Tower (almost done (one strip to go) - easier on the all glass facade) and Royal Bank wrap on Royal Tower - definitely a problem adhering the wrap to the precast spandrel panels - they've stopped applying it to those section of the facade:
Pics by me today

The

WE
S
TE

Were still in the wrong font in this picture too.

Do you have a shot of them replacing them?

Thx

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 5:27 AM
Vancouverite

Since the thread has been revived, anyone knows where I can get any olympic clothing? I dunno winter is coming and I missed out in February, I got lucky and found one sweater in the Bay Metrotown

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 5:52 AM

zellers has lots and the bay stores - most of them have lots

about 6 weeks ago, maybe more - the woman at the store downtown told my friend and I that stock was going to be coming in every few weeks until 2012 - thats when they would probably change designs but all the current stuff is still coming into the stores regularly

so to check back in a few weeks if you don't see the item you are wanting

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 1:21 AM
Vancouverite

Ah ok, Thanks SpongeG!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 5:33 AM

i guess global will be all over this one tuesday...

Snowboardcross had highest percentage of injuries at Vancouver Olympics; study

By Stephen Wilson (CP) – 2 hours ago

LONDON — Snowboardcross was the most hazardous sport at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, with nearly 75 per cent of female athletes sustaining injuries during the rough-and-tumble races, according to a medical study.

The report, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, found that at least 11 per cent of all athletes at the games in February sustained injuries — including 20 concussions.

The study reported a total of 287 injuries among the 2,567 athletes, including the "catastrophic injury" which caused the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili in a training crash a few hours before the opening ceremony on Feb. 12.
The findings illustrate some of the inherent dangers in pushing the boundaries in already risky high-speed winter sports.
"Overall, we are a little concerned about the increasing number of injuries that are not just minor," International Olympic Committee medical commission head Arne Ljungqvist told The Associated Press on Monday. "Some of this can be regulated by stricter rules.

"But it seems there is a conflict — the interest of making sport more interesting perhaps but also a little more dangerous. Some athletes want to have more speed, but on the other hand we have to look after the safety of the athletes."
The IOC-funded project is the first in-depth study of injuries at a Winter Olympics. It follows similar research at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing, where nine per cent of athletes reported injuries
Ljungqvist said the Vancouver report will serve as a basis for working with international federations to minimize injury risks at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

The findings are based on reports from 82 national team doctors and designated medical centres in Vancouver and Whistler. The study said the actual figures were likely higher because not all injuries were reported.

About 25 per cent of the injuries were serious enough to result in athletes being unable to train or compete. The most common injury areas were the head, spine and knees; bruising and ligament and muscle sprains were the most frequent types of injury.

The highest-risk sports were bobsled, ice hockey, short-track speedskating, Alpine and freestyle skiing and snowboardcross, where between 15 per cent to 35 per cent of athletes sustained injuries.

The lowest risk were Nordic skiing, as well as luge, curling, speedskating and freestyle moguls — with less than five per cent of athletes being injured.

The study found that snowboardcross produced the highest percentage of injuries (35 per cent) of any Olympic events. An astounding 73 per cent of the women — 16 of the 22 competitors — sustained injuries. For men, the figure was 11 per cent — four of the 35 athletes.

Snowboardcross was brought into the Olympics in 2006 to inject some life, youth and X Games attitude into the Winter Games. It features athletes pushing, shoving and hurtling down a hill at breakneck speed. The sport's cousin, skicross, made its debut in Vancouver.

"Snowboard and snowboardcross is where I see there is a potential for improving safety," said professor Lars Engebretsen of the Norwegian School of Sports Sciences in Oslo, an author of the study.

"The fact is during the season leading up to the Olympics they also had high injury incidents during their World Cups and pre-Olympic qualification," he told AP in a telephone interview.

Last week, a teenage member of the Russian national snowboard team was killed in a snowboardcross training accident in the Swiss Alps.

Among men in Vancouver, the highest rate of injuries was in short-track speedskating, with 27.8 per cent. The sport features close contact, high speeds and sharp turns.

Bobsled had a 20 per cent overall injury rate, followed by ice hockey at 18 per cent.
Engebretsen said scientists will spend the next six months studying videos of all the serious injuries to determine how they occurred.

Kumaritashvili's fatal accident was the only injury reported in the luge competition, which could be partly attributed to the fact that organizers shortened the course in Whistler to make it safer after his death.

"My impression from before and looking at all the statistics from that sport (luge) is they did not have many injuries," Engebretsen said. "This (fatal) incident was very, very unusual."

The circumstances of the luge crash were not covered in the study.
Overall, the injury rate at the games was higher among women (13 per cent) than men (nine per cent).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...iCop-7kYbS3kig

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 12:57 AM

Has anyone been following what has been unfolding in Delhi? Now that's a real calamity that truly deserves an international media ass whooping.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 1:24 AM

Something being chaotic in India isn't really newsworthy or shocking

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:55 AM

did anyone watch the commonwealth opening? wow most impressive

it repeated at 1 am monday...

not sure if they aired it live

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 8:56 AM

Opening ceremonies blow away ranting Canadians

Toronto, Oct 4 (IANS) They was no more ranting by the Canadian media - which joined the country's sports authorities in slamming India for poor preparations for the Commonwealth Games - Sunday after the opening of the sports extravaganza in New Delhi.

Changing its tune, it called the opening ceremonies 'pitch-perfect' and a 'showcase for its emergence as a global force'.

Writing under 'No Delhi dallying around: Opening ceremonies rock the house' in the country's biggest newspaper Toronto Star, famous sports writer Randy Starkman said, 'Finally, the much battered Delhi Commonwealth Games are under way - and in very fine style, too.''

As a veteran of 12 Olympic Games (winter and summer) and many Commonwealth and Pan Am extravaganzas as well, he said, 'I have generally made it a policy to avoid opening and closing ceremonies. Just not my kind of thing - plus I am afraid if I do show up, they will make me write about them and I don't do pomp and pageantry that well. And there are many that do.''

But blown away by the opening ceremonies Sunday, he said, 'The opening ceremonies here were a real treat and my favourite moment was when the image of Gandhi appeared on the scene, a vision of serenity amid what has mostly been chaos until now.

'I have to say I have been impressed so far by the incredible friendliness and helpfulness of the volunteers in trying to make this work.''

Calling it an unblemished opening ceremony after ' breathlessly bad few weeks,'' the paper said, 'It was an evening to celebrate India's ancient music and dance, its dazzling modern technology...''

The paper added, 'As Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh settled into his seat next to Prince Charles, the ceremonies got underway at 7 pm - right on time - with a series of fireworks that lit up the night sky. Athletes soon began their slow march into the stadium following a series of dance and music performances and the only questions left unanswered seemed to be: would the $16-million helium blimp hovering overhead stay afloat, and how would the audience react to the arrival of Pakistan, India's neighbour and arch rival.

'Turned out there was no problem on either front.''

It said, 'The blimp, covered in mirrors and cameras, was a technological marvel and displayed a visual crawl of the nations' flags as they were announced. Pakistan, meantime, received one of the largest cheers of the night, trailing only the host nation India.''

The newspaper said though Indians are obsessed with cricket, 'the Commonwealth Games will serve as a showcase for its emergence as a global force.''

http://sify.com/news/opening-ceremon...em4cebfhf.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 4:49 AM

Well more crisis with the Commonwealth Games.
Looking back at the Vancouver Winter Games, I feel very happy there was no major health issue (like H1N1 flu).

Quote:
Over a dozen swimmers from Australia and England have fallen ill in the latest setback for the trouble-plagued organisers in New Delhi. British media reported on Thursday that 20% of the English swimmers — about eight to 10 competitors — had been struck down with a stomach virus.
Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...blamed_1449274

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 5:02 AM

^ apparently, used condoms flushed in toilets by athlete are clogging up sewage pipes...loll.

I loved this comment: "I don't think our Country is big enough to take in any more from the Commonwealth!"

edit: apparently, there are even more issues
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1225935866629

- last night a temporary scoreboard collapsed, thankfully the stadium was empty
- athletics judges are threatening to walk out because the state of the field is far from standards
- officials had to wait four hours for buses to take them back to the hotels after the Opening Ceremony
- 3 Ugandan team officials were seriously injured when a security tyre killer at the Athletes Village rose up causing the car to brake immediately...
- concerns that a security mistake could be made considering the armed soldiers everywhere
- technological meltdown: 1) big delays in results, meaning media can't broadcast results immediately 2) ticketing system not working properly, people being turned away

Last edited by mr.x; Oct 8, 2010 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 7:50 PM

Nostalgia:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 3:54 AM

One-year anniversary party for Vancouver 2010 Olympics

Hope this is the right thread.

Looks like some sort of anniversary celerberation is being planned.

Quote:
'No Fun City' asks: Where's our anniversary party?

With the first anniversary of the opening ceremony for the Vancouver Olympics just one month away, residents of the "No Fun City" are asking: Where's our party?

A reunion has been planned for VANOC's paid employees, but so far, there's no word on what sort of celebration the rest of the city will see.

Former volunteer Joe Labarda plans to wear his blue jacket for the next 30 days, and on Feb. 12, he and hundreds of other volunteers have decided to meet at the Olympic cauldron and walk around the city in a sea of blue.

"We took it upon ourselves and said, ‘You know what? Let's just do it,'" he said.

He's disappointed that little else seems to have been planned.

"We haven't heard anything from the city at all as far as what they're planning for the one-year anniversary."

Mayor Gregor Robertson says that plans for a party are in the works -- they just haven't been announced.

"We haven't announced the formal plans yet, but we'll start doing that next week -- certainly a lot of big celebrations, not only downtown but all over the city," he said.

The provincial government isn't saying much either; Minister of Sport and Culture Stephanie Cadieux said the details are being finalized before they're announced later this month.

But she added that, "there will be what we would call a ‘signature celebration' in Vancouver."

That shroud of secrecy is a shame, according to Tourism Vancouver, which had hoped to promote the celebration.

"We wanted to be able to communicate that to visitors to bring people here, particularly from other parts of the province, but until you have that information, you're unable to do that and we're getting a bit late in the game for people to do any meaningful planning," said Walt Judas, a spokesman for the association.

Other cities are using provincial Spirit Festival grants to assist with celebrations. The Richmond Oval will host a free skate and torch-bearers' parade, while Whistler is putting on a two-week Olympic-themed festival.
Source: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion