HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:10 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Back in my BC days, I knew lots of people that lived in Crescent beach area of Surrey. All of which claimed to live in White Rock. That says a lot about Surrey's brand value.
Well it is on the south side of the 99, so really it's not that far off from White Rock

It's not like someone from Whalley claiming to live in Surrey in order to raise the profile of their neighbourhood

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I lived there a few years ago. I think it's a great spot and I'd live there again, but it is more practical than "sexy" as far as neighbourhoods go. I've also lived in a prettier part of Kitsilano. It looked a lot nicer, the place I lived in was nicer, and there was a beach nearby, but it was less convenient.

Vancouver unfortunately does not have a lot of good medium density (let's say lowrise apartments or rowhouse) character neighbourhoods. The stuff around Granville Island and Oak Street below Broadway has a moderate population density but most of the developments have large footprints, are plain looking, and have a pretty limited mix of uses. It's pleasant but never seemed like a very urban neighbourhood to me.
Very little of Vancouver is what I would call "sexy". A "sexy" neighbourhood would be like inner city Barcelona, or something like that: intriguing alleyways lined with hole-in-the-wall bars and little restaurants and tiny little shops. That whole feel is anathema to Vancouver, which was a planned city from the start and a place that likes beauty to come from order.

Regardless, I'm getting old and I'll take practical over sexy any day. I prefer to cook and entertain at home over eating out, so I want a neighbourhood where I'm close to decent grocery stores. I don't stumble home from bars anymore, so I don't need to be close to these places. Vancouver has a very feeble bar/pub culture, anyway.

In a way, I'm wondering if I would prefer suburbia? I think it'll hit more of us than we'd like to admit. There are good reasons for not living in suburbia, though. I still like to walk around to clear my head, and suburbia offers very few opportunities to do so. I also am an avid cyclist and, again, suburbia is poorly designed for that. And all my friends live in the city, so why would I transport myself far away from them?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 10:41 PM

I really like Strathcona, it has some great old buildings and some little cafes and shops sprinkled about. I would love to live in that area.

Compared to the 90's when it was really sketchy and dumpy, it is now been turned around for better or for worse and the place is really looking good, and you see lots of families walking around now.

an old synagogue converted to condos

Vancouver version of rowhouses

Last edited by SpongeG; May 17, 2017 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Best location for what, a home?
If money were no object I'd pick Saskatchewan Cres in Saskatoon across the river from downtown for best urban view in the province, plus its close to Broadway Ave shops, cafes, coffee shops & pubs.

TourismSaskatoon

For lake side cottage views in Southern Saskatchewan I'd pick places like Lake Diefenbaker or Regina Beach.. or Katepwa Beach that has an Osoyoos peninsular beach feel to it.

http://www.sundayslogcabins.com/things-to-do

It's already gotten to +33°C along South Saskatchewan River in places like Leader, Sask this month & i've already hit the beaches along river. I'm really looking forward to this long weekend for more time in the sun

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 12:22 AM

If money were no object, I'd go for a stately Edwardian mansion in Rosedale - why not. Great location close to Yonge st and the subway.

Like one of these:

Google Streetview

Something much more affordable (and admittedly more my style) - a house tucked away on an intimate street yet extremely close to shops and transit. Like this in Riverside:

http://corerealtygroupinc.com

Walk out from a little laneway (on the left) and you have some green space and urban street:

Google Streetview

Last edited by shappy; Apr 13, 2018 at 4:45 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada