HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:45 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Singing bus driver silenced by OC Transpo

Full article: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Si...689/story.html

Quote:
Despite a chorus of approval over the years, OC Transpo bus operator Yves Roy — known as The Singing Bus Driver — has been asked to stop crooning while at the wheel.

Passenger Eddie Vasblom, who travels from downtown to Barrhaven every evening after he finishes work, had noticed Roy’s silence over the past couple of weeks and asked him why he’d stopped singing. Roy said he’d been called in to his supervisor’s office where he was read some of the 12 complaints that have come in since January.

After reading about a half dozen, the supervisor asked if Roy wanted to hear more. But Roy had heard enough, said he got the point and that he’d stop singing. And he did.
To HELL with this city and its morose, dead, inhuman bureaucracy and bullshit. Screw OC Transpo. Not only have the changes sucked harder than a Dyson, the busiest routes are ALWAYS crammed and often non-articulated buses. Combine this farce of a transit system with the bus driver who swore at an autistic guy and was defended by his Union, and now one of the coolest bus drivers has been silenced, because of a handful of complaints, nevermind the numerous people who enjoyed his singing.

I can't wait to find a good job outside of this ridiculous city.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post

Full article: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Si...689/story.html

To HELL with this city and its morose, dead, inhuman bureaucracy and bullshit. Screw OC Transpo. Not only have the changes sucked harder than a Dyson, the busiest routes are ALWAYS crammed and often non-articulated buses. Combine this farce of a transit system with the bus driver who swore at an autistic guy and was defended by his Union, and now one of the coolest bus drivers has been silenced, because of a handful of complaints, nevermind the numerous people who enjoyed his singing.

I can't wait to find a good job outside of this ridiculous city.
While i don't agree with telling this guy he can't sing thing like this are not limited to ottawa don't assume thing are alot better in any other city.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:00 AM
I am a typical

12 complaints since January? Out of what, the 120,000 people he has driven since then? Most are probably from the same group of people, too.

In Thunder Bay we have "Banana Bob". Every time he passes a grocery store in the morning, he runs in and buys enough bananas for everyone on the bus to get one. I don't know if anyone complained about it, but he doesn't do it as frequently as he used to. People do complain about drivers stopping into Tim Hortons, ignorant of the agreement the city has to let diabetic drives use their washrooms for free on our longer routes.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

If they were smart they would turn it into a tourist attraction instead of silencing him.

I know it happens in other cities but this only adds to Ottawa's reputation as the town that fun forgot.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:51 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
While i don't agree with telling this guy he can't sing thing like this are not limited to ottawa don't assume thing are alot better in any other city.
I've spent significant time in other cities in North America, and the only good thing I have to say about OC Transpo is that it's better than public transit in North Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
12 complaints since January? Out of what, the 120,000 people he has driven since then? Most are probably from the same group of people, too.
Probably. I love how 12 complaints out of the hundreds of thousands of people he's driven warrants his superiors telling him to zip it. This guy has even gotten appreciation mail before, so this shouldn't have ever been an issue.

Quote:
In Thunder Bay we have "Banana Bob". Every time he passes a grocery store in the morning, he runs in and buys enough bananas for everyone on the bus to get one. I don't know if anyone complained about it, but he doesn't do it as frequently as he used to.
That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If they were smart they would turn it into a tourist attraction instead of silencing him.

I know it happens in other cities but this only adds to Ottawa's reputation as the town that fun forgot.
Yep. An unfortunately well-deserved reputation.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:40 PM

Tolerance - it means putting up with things you don't like.

chuckle - I recall this moniker from the late 70's, very clean place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I've spent significant time in other cities in North America, and the only good thing I have to say about OC Transpo is that it's better than public transit in North Bay.

Probably. I love how 12 complaints out of the hundreds of thousands of people he's driven warrants his superiors telling him to zip it. This guy has even gotten appreciation mail before, so this shouldn't have ever been an issue.

That's awesome.

Yep. An unfortunately well-deserved reputation.
My point is there are other issues in other citys some seem toa ssume this only happens in ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

God forbid that there should be transit drivers who like their jobs and make the city a more cheerful place. Can't have that.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:06 PM
Awesome!

To Jim, and what the proportions of complaints versus the number condemning the route cuts just at your own office. Even if you think there was only 100 complaints at your office because of the cuts, that is still a 8-to-1 ratio.

This should be a non-issue.

Anyways Facebook already has a page supporting the driver and I think there was a wall post encouraging on a day to sing on OC buses.

http://www.facebook.com/LetHimSing
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
In Thunder Bay we have "Banana Bob". Every time he passes a grocery store in the morning, he runs in and buys enough bananas for everyone on the bus to get one. I don't know if anyone complained about it, but he doesn't do it as frequently as he used to. People do complain about drivers stopping into Tim Hortons, ignorant of the agreement the city has to let diabetic drives use their washrooms for free on our longer routes.
OMG, now Thunder Bay has shot up on my priority Canadian Cities I Haven't Yet Visited list. Possibly to the top, unless Windsor, London, and Hamilton have something better.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 4:02 AM
Awesome!

And we lost a popular local YouTube singer in Gatineau this week. Guy was singing stuff about local and political news and local businesses as well. Was certainly enjoying his videos, like the ones blasting our own mayor as well as those about the traffic problems in Gatineau as well.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion