HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:28 PM

Hoping this new terminal is able to woo Zip Air to restoring the PDX-HND route.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Zip Air has never flown to PDX. It will likely be JAL flying PDX-NRT with a 787(or possibly even PDX-HND). JAL is already an Alaska partner. This route needs to happen soon. Would be a huge win for cargo traffic to and from Oregon to Japan. Semiconductor parts and cargo would fill up and make the flight profitable in itself.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Frontier Airlines adds new route from Portland airport

Low-cost airline Frontier plans to add a new route between Portland and Salt Lake City starting in May.

The carrier (Nasdaq: ULCC) announced Wednesday it will begin its direct service between PDX and Salt Lake City International Airport on May 16. The flights will be available three times a week, and Frontier is offering starting fares at $19.

“We are excited to yet again expand our route map with a focus on underserved and overpriced markets as we head into spring,” Frontier Vice President Josh Flyr said in the announcement. “Increasing the number of cities with an ultra-low fare option helps ensure even more consumers can take to the skies this year to visit friends and family or experience a new destination on their travel wish list.”
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 6:28 PM

Hopefully not too delayed, but of course nothing is more important than the safety of the people working on the project.

Quote:
PDX to delay opening airport terminal after ‘close calls’ prompt review of construction safety

The Port of Portland will delay the opening of its new, highly touted terminal at Portland International Airport after unspecified safety concerns led the port’s contractor to halt construction for a few days and review its schedule.

The port and Hoffman Skansa, the joint venture working on the project, agreed to halt construction all weekend and Monday, said port spokesperson Allison Ferré. She said she didn’t know the details of the incidents that raised safety issues.

“Our local construction team at PDX has an exceptional safety record, so any incident would be a reason to slow down,” Ferré said in an email.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaka07 View Post
Zip Air has never flown to PDX. It will likely be JAL flying PDX-NRT with a 787(or possibly even PDX-HND). JAL is already an Alaska partner. This route needs to happen soon. Would be a huge win for cargo traffic to and from Oregon to Japan. Semiconductor parts and cargo would fill up and make the flight profitable in itself.

They're considering it. And by restoring, I didn't mean they had flown it before. Poor word choice.

https://simpleflying.com/zipair-1st-...-announcement/

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 5:09 AM

Quote:
The new main terminal would have zero to do with adding this flight or not. It's 100% about economics.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
True.

One side observation I want to note. The US has really upped its game for airport terminals over the last 10 or so years. They were just so damn bad compared to international airports up to the early 2000’s (I recall reading a Thomas Friedman article saying such, how depressing it was here), but across the country ports have been pouring massive amounts of money into improvements, even aesthetic/grand ones after a generation of utilitarian infrastructure terminals. Portland, Nashville just opened a very nice massive overhaul sim to Portland, I flew into Indy a few years - the entire airport was literally brand new and very nice, Philly has poured in literal billions to make a dated shell fairly pleasant and intimate, Seattle, Detroit…and on and on.. Great to see….I no longer loathe flying into most airports anymore (save Newark and the crappy way overcrowded DFW terminal Alaska uses there). Something to be said for all of this. A little national pride statement.
I agree. It's really nice to see airports around the country elevating the experience for travellers. In certain markets with multiple airport choices, I have found myself gravitating towards picking my destination/connecting airports based on how easy the airport is to use as well as the overall experience while within it's building(s). I'll use Long Beach Airport for example (LGB). This is a personal favorite of mine for my Southern California ventures as it's got a wonderful relaxing ambiance, easy to get through, great amenities, and centrally located in the greater LA area.

On the other hand, I recently had a connecting flight in San Jose and honestly I will likely avoid that airport again in the future if I have options. It was cramped, not well ventilated, hardly any quick and easy food options, and honestly was kind of a dump. I was kind of surprised really, being in the middle of the Silicone Valley. I also have a poor perception of O'Hare after flying through it back in 2007 and feeling like every part of it at that time was a dump. I'm sure there have been changes since then, but anytime I've flown to or through Chicago since then, I've typically used Midway. Having an airport that is well configured, accessible, with plenty of amenties, and just nicer... really does matter.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I agree. It's really nice to see airports around the country elevating the experience for travellers. In certain markets with multiple airport choices, I have found myself gravitating towards picking my destination/connecting airports based on how easy the airport is to use as well as the overall experience while within it's building(s). I'll use Long Beach Airport for example (LGB). This is a personal favorite of mine for my Southern California ventures as it's got a wonderful relaxing ambiance, easy to get through, great amenities, and centrally located in the greater LA area.

On the other hand, I recently had a connecting flight in San Jose and honestly I will likely avoid that airport again in the future if I have options. It was cramped, not well ventilated, hardly any quick and easy food options, and honestly was kind of a dump. I was kind of surprised really, being in the middle of the Silicone Valley. I also have a poor perception of O'Hare after flying through it back in 2007 and feeling like every part of it at that time was a dump. I'm sure there have been changes since then, but anytime I've flown to or through Chicago since then, I've typically used Midway. Having an airport that is well configured, accessible, with plenty of amenties, and just nicer... really does matter.
Another airport I was thoroughly disappointed with was BWI. It was this big thing in the late 90’s as Southwest boomed (major hub). Flew out of there last year, what a mess. I don’t think they’ve updated in 20+ years. Even worse than Newark, imho.

But speaking of:

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...ht-in-may.html

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
They're considering it. And by restoring, I didn't mean they had flown it before. Poor word choice.

https://simpleflying.com/zipair-1st-...-announcement/
If I'm reading this correctly, they are saying that 26,000 passengers fly to Tokyo from Portland currently (obviously connecting elsewhere before jumping across the pond). By some quick math, if they are using exclusively Boeing 787-8s with 290 seats, they could fill close to 90 planes per year from Portland. Even if they started with 2 flights per week round trip, they would likely run very high capicity if not sold out. I could imagine that demand would even go up with other markets now connecting through PDX to send people to Tokyo, so starting with at least 3 flights per week (like they just announced for Vancouver), this would be a very successful route. One of these airlines really needs to make this route happen!

Last edited by uncommon.name; Feb 29, 2024 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Spirit Airlines to add Portland-Baltimore flight in May

Portlanders looking for a nonstop flight to the nation’s capital region will soon have multiple options. Starting May 8, Spirit Airlines will offer a direct flight from Portland to Baltimore, the first nonstop flight directly to that city from PDX.

Portland has a handful of nonstop flights to the East Coast, including one to Washington Dulles International Airport.

Spirit Airlines spokesperson Nicole Aguiar said one-way flights to Baltimore will start at $137, and run four times a week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Article mentions flight to Dulles (UAL), but there is also one to National Airport on Alaska (I took a few weeks ago). Great flight to get close-in to DC, with perfect flight times each way.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:36 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Work in progress: Making waves in the terrazzo floors

Want to see something cool? We’re sharing regular “work in progress” snapshots to show you what we’re up to.  While we’re glad to see the iconic carpet coming home to PDX, this winter we’re also excited to watch the artisans from Corradini Corporation pour the main terminal’s terrazzo floors. 
Source: https://www.pdxnext.com/Stories/Deta...-main-terminal

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:00 PM

Neat write up (engineering) on the structure:

https://www.enr.com/articles/58352-w...pdx-terminal-b

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Portland International Airport sets main terminal opening date for August 2024 after delays

Portland International Airport (PDX)'s new main terminal, originally planned for the end of May, will open in August, the Port of Portland said Thursday.

Crews have been installing white oak flooring and benches for stadium seating, tiling and painting new concession spaces, and setting up spots for new TSA checkpoints. The Port of Portland said 950 people are working.

The Port of Portland's chief project officer said that there had been a brief pause after seeing "a couple of close calls" during construction in late February.
Read more at KGW...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I flew through end of Feb and my initial thought was there was NO way that would be done by May, there was still much obvious work to do, let alone the hidden stuff for punch list. And then it got delayed because a hammer fell (and didn't hurt anyone?)? Really sounds like a weird scapegoat for what was clear construction delays overall.

Anyway, that ENR link I posted above is really neat. Deep dive into the engineering of the new terminal.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:08 AM

Just a couple more terminal progress shots. The lighting and timber architecture look awesome.

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 6.56.21 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 6.53.33 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Just a couple more terminal progress shots. The lighting and timber architecture look awesome.

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 6.56.21 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 6.53.33 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr
Thanks for sharing!

I absolutely cannot wait to see the product in person. I have a trip in May and am a little sad it won't be open when I return.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure