HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:37 PM

I think that was SC2K, so the second iteration, not the first.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Started playing SC4 again a couple of weeks back. A couple of hopes for the next version:
- A greater focus on effective public transportation systems. One of my main gripes with SC4 was the poor out-of-the-box implementation of bus and subway systems (remedied to a degree with mods, eg on-street bus-stops). I'd love to be able to make proper railway lines and not simply tiles connecting up to stations. Interchanges would be a great assistance as well.
- Greater building diversity; even with add-ons, cities start to become repetitive in appearance.
- Underground/sub-sea power lines.
- Greater ease to build cuttings, embankments, tunnels and bridges that don't have disjointed approaches/appearances (or require mods).
- Better interaction with 'regions'; preferably without having to exit and re-load individual 'cities'.

It's good to hear that roads won't be restricted to a grid anymore, but I remain cautious that it doesn't lead to some fudged results. Non-grid road networks in Europe typically developed along historic routes and paths; the buildings subsequently created a tightly knit urban fabric, eg the Square Mile. It will be interesting how Maxis plan to allocate buildings to lots which have non-linear faces without computers imploding across the globe.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who has thought of numerous planner-geek improvements to this game! I was so dissapointed when "Sim City Societies" came out because it felt as though the folks at Maxis had decided that the game had already reached its realistic limit and had to be "reimagined."

I have a few more to add to your list...
-In addition to on-street bus stops, I would love to see subway stations that could be located underneath street intersections like in real life. I would also like to see Monorail systems that could be run above sidewalks and over buildings. Whats the point of building an expensive Monorail when the game requires it to have its own allignment just like a normal RR?
-It would be great to see what lies just beyond your city's border without having to back out to Regional view... this could be as simple as just showing a black-and-white or "shadowed" view of the neighboring city instead of just having an "edge of the world" sorta look to the edges of cities.
-Mixed-use buildings!! I feel that in the modern era of urban planning, this is an absolute must! I always hated having to build a "checkerboard" of Residential and Commercial in order to have an effective mixed-use district. Why not just let buildings have BOTH uses, and have the demand-meter thing determine the correct balance?
-Form-based zoning? I always hated how many large buildings come with an excess of open land on the property, so it is essentially impossible to create complete streetwalls. It would be great if you could control the "style" of urban design to create "European style" "seas of midrises."
-Freight traffic that actually GOES somewhere. Industrial zones are all too easy to just completely ignore in SC4 because there seems to be no tangible reason to actually build them. Its not like residential/commercial demand were in any way affected by not having industry in the way that the game ties residential and commercial demand together. Further, freight traffic always just tries to "escape" the city limits as quickly as possible which makes seaport connections to industrial zones pointless if the area is on the edge of a city.

I too wonder how the game will deal with non-grid roads. The game always allowed for roads at a 45 degree angle, but such roads could never support high density development because the building parcels ended up staggered along the street and couldn't be "combined" into a parcel large enough for bigger buildings. If they're going to have non-grid roads, they had better come up with a solution for building along those roads or else it will just be pointless.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I think that was SC2K, so the second iteration, not the first.
The first was a PC game released in 1989. The second was SimCity SNES in 1991. SC2K was released in 1993 or 1994? I've never actually played it. I think it needed some sort of expansion thing to run on the Super Nintendo.

There was a version of SimCity made for the N64 or GameCube that was never released outside of Japan.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
Paramoderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vS0qURl_JJY

New video about the underlying engine behind the game.

EDIT: For some reason SSP won't let me link the video, but whatever.

Last edited by Illithid Dude; Mar 21, 2012 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
I am a typical

Use just the alphanumeric code at the end of the URL.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Video Link

It looks decent , but i think EA is going to ruin it somehow...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:45 AM

Looks like my initial gut instinct was correct in this thread.

I like the liveliness of the people, cars, and buildings. But the structures and graphical presentation looks very juvenile. I don't know why I even care so much. The last time SC4 was played..or even installed on my machine was 2004. I guess I was hoping the game may reignite my interest. Probably better it doesn't.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:27 AM
TL;DR

Oh man, we're already on the wish lists? It's like 2004 all over again.

It seems like the game has gotten much better as a simulation, focusing on the extraction and refinement of resources as the driver of the in-game economy. The constraints of the grid are gone. On the other hand, the graphics are suspect. It looks like true curves are still out of the question (the video showed segmental curves).

SC4 and all the previous games were one of the biggest influences on my career choice, but now that I've traveled a lot more and learned to see cities differently, it seems like no game can ever capture the infinite complexity and variation of real-world cities.

Besides, I think about cities and urban design all day, and then do it some more here on SSP. When I wanna kick back with a game, I'm either playing Madden or blowing away some aliens or demons.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:24 PM

Guys they've said NUMEROUS times the graphics are not representitive of what the final product will look like.

The game will look much different than what they are showing so far, you are only seeing how the engine works at this point.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 7:24 PM
Urban Fanactic

I just seen my biggest pet peeve for the game in that glass box engine video.
Cars turn left from the right lane and turn right from the left lane. I really hope they fix this.
It was a pain for UDI because I would always get hit by someone turning from the wrong lane.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 10:43 PM
Map Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
I just seen my biggest pet peeve for the game in that glass box engine video.
Cars turn left from the right lane and turn right from the left lane. I really hope they fix this.
It was a pain for UDI because I would always get hit by someone turning from the wrong lane.
Please understand that what you're looking at in that video is not Simcity. It's merely something thrown together to showcase the engine. Simcity will look and behave very differently I would think.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 3:16 PM

looks a lot like SC4

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 6:32 AM

I can't believe it... SC5 is actually happening.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:38 PM
Always out of place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
I can't believe it... SC5 is actually happening.
Surprising to hear, and see (I googled and saw for myself)...I had gotten the impression that SC4 was the end of that franchise...and there's so much about SC4 that I thought could have been better.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 10:06 PM

I'm all about the traffic. I think that's something that had me excited about Sim City 4, watching all that realistic looking traffic. I can't wait for this.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Guys they've said NUMEROUS times the graphics are not representitive of what the final product will look like.

The game will look much different than what they are showing so far, you are only seeing how the engine works at this point.
I provide some insight on this earlier in the thread.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:54 AM

Hopefully it will include things like transit in medians, along with funiculars, gondolas/ski lifts, workable canals, and expanded underground transit and road networks.

Also, seeing an LA style 4 tile freeway with carpool HOV lanes wouldn't hurt either... of course as long as it's in a videogame.

And cemetery zoning (rather than confining it to ploppables) would be nice.

But nothing would please me more than seeing various optional weather and seasonal effects.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:37 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's a good preview on ign:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1221790p1.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:18 PM

Apparenlty the new SimCity will require a persistent online connection even though its a single player game.

So I'm not going to bother with it. Fuck you, EA.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:24 PM

holy shit!

i think this game will be awesome!

streetcars, monrail, good graphics

but multiplayer is very delicate

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art