HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:01 PM
Jeepus Africanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Apparenlty the new SimCity will require a persistent online connection even though its a single player game.

So I'm not going to bother with it. Fuck you, EA.
How else are they going to bombard you with ads?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:40 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Apparenlty the new SimCity will require a persistent online connection even though its a single player game.

Agreed.

Quote:
SimCity has multiplayer and requires an internet connection to play, regardless of whether you open your borders to other players or not. You might be the demigod of your little city, but every SimCity player is a part of a larger game world. You can't jump in and modify other player's towns, but no one's actions occur in a vacuum.
It sounds great, but if there's no way to opt out of any influence whatsoever from other players, if there's no way to play isolated a la a real single player mode, then I'll pass.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:20 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:

sigh , leave to EA to fuck something up....look what they did to the Need For Speed series...let horrible Black Box put out a title year after year.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:26 PM

This new SimCity is just an example of how much the games industry has regressed in recent years. Game design isn't about making games great anymore. Here we have a needless multiplayer feature shoehorned into a traditionally single player games series solely for the purpose of DRM and preventing piracy without actually enhancing the gameplay in any significant way, if at all.

Being a gamer sucks these days, especially a PC gamer. But at least there is some hope on the horizon with the advent of crowdfunding of games through Kickstarter (e.g. Wasteland 2).

In the meanwhile I'll just stick with my Wii and old PC games from GOG.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:28 PM
I am a typical

I just downloaded a Super NES emulator and SimCity for the SNES.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:24 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
This new SimCity is just an example of how much the games industry has regressed in recent years. Game design isn't about making games great anymore. Here we have a needless multiplayer feature shoehorned into a traditionally single player games series solely for the purpose of DRM and preventing piracy without actually enhancing the gameplay in any significant way, if at all.

Being a gamer sucks these days, especially a PC gamer. But at least there is some hope on the horizon with the advent of crowdfunding of games through Kickstarter (e.g. Wasteland 2).

Could not have been said better.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:40 AM
Jeepus Africanus

Quote:

Well said. I wonder if EA ever does an objective cost/benefit analysis when it comes to these decisions. I wonder if the conversation in the meeting goes something like:

Greedy Exec #1: "Man, Simcity used to have a huge loyal following. Many people are still modding and playing SC4 and even SC2000 after all these years. We need to tap that market again! Let's make Simcity 5!"

Greedy Exec #2: "Yeah and make sure an always present Internet connection is mandatory so we can slap some bloated DRM into it to stop all those pirates, even if the time developing the DRM takes away from the game's quality. Also, multiplayer. Every game must be multiplayer because FPS's are multiplayer and they sell really well."

Marketing Exec: "Well Simcity has always been a standalone single player game. We tried making it multiplayer in the past, and that other company also tried it with CitiesXL and both games bombed miserably. We should stick to the formula that worked so well for Maxis all those years and made a ton of money for us at the time."

Greedy Exec #1 to Greedy Exec #2: "Um, we're executives, so we know what the market wants. Let's grab lunch."

Last edited by Jeeper; Apr 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:46 AM

While somewhat off topic I just bought The Sims 3 expansion pack Showtime, which is also an EA game. They do somewhat stress that you'll get more out of playing the game while online but they also give you the opportunity to play the game without being on the internet. This may be something they will offer with the new Sim City.

I personally don't want my game to be a social event and would rather play without having to be online.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:11 PM
Lowe's

There are many of us that deploy to areas that have zero interenet available for personal computers. If i have to have an internet conntection to play or even get started, then thanks i too will pass.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I am about faint due to overwhelming joy.

I still have my SimCity Game from my Nintendo years. Was this the very first SimCity?
No, simcity for the PC was.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._cover_art.jpg

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:50 PM
Jeepus Africanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyweaxguy View Post
There are many of us that deploy to areas that have zero interenet available for personal computers. If i have to have an internet conntection to play or even get started, then thanks i too will pass.
Same for those of us living in the 3rd world.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:07 PM
welcome to the madness

I'm pretty sure that EA is including single player mode and offline mode. What I've read is that the game will initially require an internet connection, but you'll be able to play it offline. Anyway the new engine, Glassbox looks amazing and I really can't wait to play this game. Plus they're leaving room for the modding community, which means the folks at places like Simtropolis can take this thing to its limits.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Imagine if they go with the horrid steam network. Quite a few times, when trying to play the (almost unplayable due to endless bugs) Civilization-5, I get a "The Steam server is too busy. Try again later"

I don't want to try again later. I want to play my fucking game right fucking now.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:41 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Imagine if they go with the horrid steam network. Quite a few times, when trying to play the (almost unplayable due to endless bugs) Civilization-5, I get a "The Steam server is too busy. Try again later"

I don't want to try again later. I want to play my fucking game right fucking now.
I've never had any problems with Steam. Hell, I'd rather it be Steam. Better then Games for Windows, anyways...

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 9:24 PM

Sim City 4 with all the mods and such the internet community has come up with is so great I really could care less about Sim City 5. I do with Sim City 4 was just a bit more stable but meh.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I've never had any problems with Steam. Hell, I'd rather it be Steam. Better then Games for Windows, anyways...
Agreed...Steam is awesome. Since I started using it upgrading my PC's graphic card to handle new games, my 360 sits there collecting dust. So many good games, for so cheap. The holiday deals are insane.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 9:29 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMADreamer View Post
Sim City 4 with all the mods and such the internet community has come up with is so great I really could care less about Sim City 5. I do with Sim City 4 was just a bit more stable but meh.
I'm a little bored w/ SC4, but I agree that all the great mods will make it hard to beat.

If all they do is ramp up the graphics and push multiplayer, it won't be something I buy. But if it looks like they've expanded gameplay (especially transportation), then I'll probably get it.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 10:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I'm a little bored w/ SC4, but I agree that all the great mods will make it hard to beat.

If all they do is ramp up the graphics and push multiplayer, it won't be something I buy. But if it looks like they've expanded gameplay (especially transportation), then I'll probably get it.
Check out some of the blog postings that Maxis has published describing the simulations that are run for different events, it's pretty interesting how they different variables are tied together. I think that this isn't just going to be a shinier SimCity 4:

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:15 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
I still have my user manual from that Simcity! I keep it in with the planning book section of my library haha.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:45 PM

You can pre-order SimCity 5 on Amazon -- a year ahead of its release date. Considering the disappointment with some sequels, I will wait, thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art