HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 AM

Hales + Novick Recall

Interview here with the guy behind the current recall campaign. I think some of his responses reflect accurately the ignorance and country-bumpkin mindset of so many Portlanders, including many otherwise-"liberal" friends of mine. They'll say things to me like "I just don't understand why they have to build these apartment buildings so tall" while staring at a 5-story building. Or they'll bitch about the lack of auto storage in new projects impacting their ability to park in front of their houses, never once considering the idea that on-street parking should be priced to better balance out supply and demand ("What??? I'd have to pay a monthly parking fee? Where's my pitchfork?!"). The streetcar, and often MAX as well, are targets for derision. Rarely do I ever hear any cogent critiques of architecture and urban design or any comprehension of how things get funded (i.e. that you can't just divert money for a streetcar line to, say, affordable housing or street paving with the wave of a wand). By striking contrast, and as you might expect, my European and South American friends who live here don't even blink an eye: of course you want to increase density, of course you want to expand your transit system, of course you don't want to subsidize car ownership.

Guess I've been feeling frustrated lately by many of the citizens of this city that I love most dearly...

Hotseat: Ray Horton
A native Portlander talks about his (so far) lonely effort to recall the mayor and a city commissioner.
July 16th, 2014 AARON MESH | City Hall | WW

Ray Horton is fed up.

Why are you upset at Portland government?

You just get discontented as you get older, and I’m no different than most people. But I also think there’s an attitude from City Hall that, oh boy, there’s new people moving in, and we’ll make a lot of money here.

I feel the city is my enemy. I used to go downtown and get a $5 parking ticket. Now I get an $80 parking ticket. It’s about how much money they can get out of people, rather than how they can serve the people.

What specific budgeting choices do you have a problem with?

We could go back six or eight years to the light rail that’s going to Milwaukie at the expense of paving streets. A nice thing for the city to have, but I don’t think it’s a priority, especially when Mayor Hales and Commissioner Novick are claiming, gosh, we just don’t have the money to do what we should have been doing for the last 10 years.

That money was spent on light rail, and bicycle lanes, and conferences for teaching middle-aged white men how to behave.

Do you have other gripes about the city?

Apartments popping up on every corner. The math is pretty easy. You say, to heck with the character of neighborhoods and anything that makes the city charming. What’s driving the apartments comes right back down to greed at City Hall.

...more at WW

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:43 AM

Novick showed up to his own recall campaign meeting!!!

http://koin.com/2014/07/19/81360/

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — In a controversial move, embattled Portland City Commissioner Steve Novick attended his own recall campaign planning meeting in what he calls an attempt to learn the motives behind a grassroots effort to oust him from office...
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:45 AM
A before E

Ray Horton sounds like he is full of himself. If he doesn't want to pay the cost of a parking ticket, don't park illegally.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:54 AM

That's awesome. I really like Steve Novick. It's almost as good as when he trash talked the Oregonian:

Quote:
You want to talk about mediocre? A paper that only delivers four times a week, now that's mediocre. You want to question our commitment to jobs? Seriously? The paper that specializes in firing people - good people like Ryan White and Scott Learn - wants to talk about jobs?

We're the best City Council in the league. And we're not going to be bullied by some sorry Orange County right-wing publisher. We'll be here after you're gone, Mr. N. Christian Anderson III - after the Newhouse family wakes up and realizes that it's economic idiocy to try to foist a Fox News paper on a progressive readership.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ That... was awesome! I really like Novick as well. From what I've seen, he has a ton of integrity, and is willing to step up to the plate and face his opponents.

Charles on the other hand... kind of a meh, but don't have much to complain about.

Also, re: the original wweek.com posting about the recall campaign...

Quote:
Why are you upset at Portland government?

You just get discontented as you get older, and I’m no different than most people.
Wow. Can't make that shit up! So lame.

Quote:
You’ll need 34,921 signatures to force a recall vote. How many have you collected so far?

I have 15.
*crickets*

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:37 AM

I too loved Novick's "controversial move" to attend his own recall meeting. Almost as satisfying as his Oregonian diss.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:21 AM

I'm no fan of Novick. But I watched the video and listened carefully. Here are some things I noticed:

-Novick asking the moderator if he could stay, and got the ok
-The agitated lady coming over and asking if the camera person had permission to record (with the intent to shut the camera off) - and the response that "this is a public meeting, we don't need your permission"
-The other grey-haired lady saying next time, "We shouldn't make this so public"
-The same lady interrupting and saying "is the crowd comfortable - no? Sorry, Steve buddy, you have to go"
-The same lady saying "if you're nice to us, we'll be nice to you. If you invited the cameras, that's not nice".

Funny how groovy, laid back, grass-roots people trying to inject transparency into the city government immediately reject transparency into their own proceedings, push their own will onto the crowd to shut down Novick and make veiled threats to those who they suspect may have introduced transparency into their meeting.

Free-loving, 'open-minded' activists are like anybody else - even the jingoistic xenophobes I grew up with in the deep south. They crave power and shut down opposing viewpoints. Funny that.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 6:49 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I like Steve Novick, but after the street fee proposal, I no longer trust him.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:42 AM
A before E

I have always been a Novick fan, he is a good fit for Portland and I think he is going to continue to think outside of the box and will continue to do a lot of things Portland likes, and some things Portland doesn't like.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I have always been a Novick fan, he is a good fit for Portland and I think he is going to continue to think outside of the box and will continue to do a lot of things Portland likes, and some things Portland doesn't like.
Well it looks like I have been wrong with this statement....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion