HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 9:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Diablo 3 is imminent (May 15th). Will keep me busy.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 11:16 PM
I am a typical

A more specific release date (release month?) has been announced: February 2013. That doesn't leave us much time to save up for the centi-core supercomputers we'll need to run it smoothly.

They've also released a couple official screenshots of actual game graphics, as opposed to the demo graphics used to demonstrate Glassbox. I can't find an official source that has these, but the images are from this article.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 11:41 PM

We get more screenshots tomorrow!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 12:49 AM
Paramoderator

Looking good! I love the tilt/shift effect.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i see potential for some pritty sweet mods

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 6:52 PM

Way too cartoony.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 9:21 PM
Paramoderator

Video Link

First gameplay.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 9:44 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Way too cartoony.
It isn't too bad though. And SC4's original shots were more cartoony so this could end up getting more realistic as the development process goes on.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:35 AM

One can hope!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 3:59 AM
Paramoderator

Today I went to E3. There, I saw a live demo of Sim City. It was amazing. Let's talk about it.

- Curved roads! You make them by dragging your mouse around. The roads form according to where you drag your mouse.

- One of the coolest part of the game was the interactions between cities. So, as you know, this game is mulitplayer. This is done in an incredible way. Every player is the mayor of their own city. Cities can be connected by roads, and I would assume rail. Once connected cities can share power, jobs, and products. One example is that, during the demo, wires were strung up to buy electricity from another city. This way, the original city didn't have to build new power plants. Another example was that because a city was so polluted, the pollution began spreading to the coastal resort city. Yet another example was one city was crime ridden, and said crime began spreading to another city. On a more positive note, there was a sequence in which three cities were constructing an international airport. One city was building materials, another was supplying workers, and they were all contributing cash. It was truly cool, and I can't wait to see where else they go with the multiplayer mechanic.

-The world is incredibly detailed. In the demo, we followed a car as it drove through the city, before stopping at a bank. Then, little pedestrians came out of the car, pulled out guns, and walked into the bank. In a couple minutes, police showed up, and, get this, started a shoot out with the robbers. Apparently, according to the developers, there is a fifty/fifty chance that the police successfully stop the robbers. This time, they did. One robber was shot, and collapsed. The other robbers surrendered and were arrested.This whole thing floored me, especially as it was all viewed from the normal arial Sim City perspective.

So, overall, I thought the demo was amazing. This is truly going to be an amazing game.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 6:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so they are bringing godzilla back i see

how do u get to go to e3 i thought it was not open to the public

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 2:38 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
how do u get to go to e3 i thought it was not open to the public
I know people.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:09 AM
Future God

I hope there is zoning in this...I noticed that at the end of that video they were just plopping skyscrapers down like there is a "skyscraper" button or something.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 5:00 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I hope there is zoning in this...I noticed that at the end of that video they were just plopping skyscrapers down like there is a "skyscraper" button or something.
There is zoning. During the demo, they showed the standard Commercial, Residential, and Industrial zoning. I wanted to ask if there was mixed-use, but they didn't do a Q and A.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:00 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

wow

i hope there's taller buildings than that! the last game was so good for that reason, everything looked so tall and massive.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 3:29 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i like what i see, though i have zero interest in the "multiplayer" aspect.

i'd hate to spend days creating the perfectly designed resort town only to have someone next door build a polluted slum that choked my pristine beaches with toxic ooze and fill my tree-lined boulevards with criminal activity.

thankfully, most of the preview articles have stressed that multiplayer is an optional mode.

i did see one comment on IGN (i think) that complained about the map size. anyone see any details on how big the maps are? i'd hate to think they're too small to build a realistic-looking metropolis.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 4:50 PM
Sonoma Strong

gameplay looks great!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 6:33 PM
Lowe's

I like the idea of the multiplayer, but will see how that actually plays out. I hope that the game does not require an internet connection like Diablo 3 does. There are a ton of us gamers that go on deployments and such where we do not have access to the net.

Other than that it looks really cool!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
i like what i see, though i have zero interest in the "multiplayer" aspect.

i'd hate to spend days creating the perfectly designed resort town only to have someone next door build a polluted slum that choked my pristine beaches with toxic ooze and fill my tree-lined boulevards with criminal activity.

thankfully, most of the preview articles have stressed that multiplayer is an optional mode.

i did see one comment on IGN (i think) that complained about the map size. anyone see any details on how big the maps are? i'd hate to think they're too small to build a realistic-looking metropolis.
A realistic metropolis would be divided into multiple municipalites, i.e. multiple smaller maps in SimCity.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:43 PM
I am a typical

I'd like to see a scrolling feature, where you only see 1 to 16 square kilometres at a time, but instead of having a solid line separating two 16sqkm blocks, you could simply scroll the map over and it would render a different 16sqkm patch of a larger region, making for a seamless boundary. Give the option to draw out municipal boundaries so that you can set different tax rates and offer different services in different areas, and get away from the "every city is a square" problem that has affected all previous Simcitys.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art