HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lan View Post
I'm not sure where this fits in re: compressive load, but I think that lack of tall skyscrapers in NOLA might have to do with climate and soil as well as recession/Katrina also. NOLA has more bog-like topography than areas more known for tall 'scapers and more prone to liquefaction and slope failure, hence pile driving is a different process than elsewhere where obvious factors might be more along the lines of particle friction (say in a topography with looser soil). So though it's a basic standard that you'll go through denser rock layers the further you drive down into the sediment, top-level soil also plays a major factor in deciding pile driving.

Not sure how this fits into engineering on this deck, but I'm all for NOLA growing.
So what do you think of Implosions downtown??

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 10:16 PM

Hi TKC, um...hard to answer that, depends on how you mean it. Do you mean my thoughts on implosions in general as a demolition technique, or the use of this technique as it relates to NOLA? "Implosion demolition" is a misnomer, since this tactic isn't really a "true" implosion, more the opposite, as in a question of timed explosions that are catalyst for bringing down a building structure. I can see where this type of demo has been useful in situations where demo itself was perceived as immediately necessary. Not as much related to post-WW demo but in the much more recent examples such as Ocean Tower, around Padre Island. If there's a building going up that, for sheer planning flaws and lack of creating a system of structural reinforcement, is perceived as potentially causing damage to the surrounding area rather than serving the need it's there for, I see why an explosive technique for immediate teardown would be used, although I don't necessarily support it. But that's mostly because it makes more sense to me to have buildings going up only if they have the right structural reinforcement to make them really solid, and something like explosive demo can unfortunately lead to trends of buildings going up without reinforcement, and that's not an ideal system. Again, you can see why it happens with projects like Ocean Tower that were meant to address a great and immediate need, such as population developments, especially when it's a massive undertaking that seems impossible to finish. I don't agree with its use on buildings that might be considered historically worth preserving to others, because explosive technique eliminates the possibility of gathering and keeping artifacts and architectural elements. Generally in these cases if it has happened it's likely been regrettable; it's a controversial topic. I would prefer not to see it used again on Padre Island, but that might be a bit about planning. Additionally, it's a tricky technique otherwise to use, since it should be as careful as construction in terms of timing and execution, and failing careful strategy of those can result in possible injuries to anyone involved or proximate to the area, which is just regrettable in general to all sides.

But this might not be what you're getting at. If you were talking about actual gravitational implosion, I'd have a different opinion, for example. Is this in terms of implosions that have been used downtown or the use of them in the future?

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 10:26 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
New Orleans ranked 2nd best big city for jobs by Forbes

Forbes magazine's annual "Best Cities for Jobs" list ranks the New Orleans-Metairie metropolitan area as second-best among big cities.

It counted the New Orleans area as one of the list's "intriguing surprises," moving up 46 places from last year's list. Noting that the region lost 11 percent of its population and nearly 16 percent of its jobs in the last decade, it says "the Big Easy seems to be finding its place among America's great cities."

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...d_best_bi.html
New Orleans ranked second-best by Joel Kotkin, that is. His methodology for pretty much everything is bogus.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 12:02 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
New Orleans ranked 2nd best big city for jobs by Forbes

Forbes magazine's annual "Best Cities for Jobs" list ranks the New Orleans-Metairie metropolitan area as second-best among big cities.

It counted the New Orleans area as one of the list's "intriguing surprises," moving up 46 places from last year's list. Noting that the region lost 11 percent of its population and nearly 16 percent of its jobs in the last decade, it says "the Big Easy seems to be finding its place among America's great cities."

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...d_best_bi.html
I would have never predicted that. I guess it depends on the type of jobs. I am currently looking for a job in NOLA, it is quite hard when living in Miami.

Last edited by LouisianaRush; May 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lan View Post
Hi TKC, um...hard to answer that, depends on how you mean it. Do you mean my thoughts on implosions in general as a demolition technique, or the use of this technique as it relates to NOLA? "Implosion demolition" is a misnomer, since this tactic isn't really a "true" implosion, more the opposite, as in a question of timed explosions that are catalyst for bringing down a building structure. I can see where this type of demo has been useful in situations where demo itself was perceived as immediately necessary. Not as much related to post-WW demo but in the much more recent examples such as Ocean Tower, around Padre Island. If there's a building going up that, for sheer planning flaws and lack of creating a system of structural reinforcement, is perceived as potentially causing damage to the surrounding area rather than serving the need it's there for, I see why an explosive technique for immediate teardown would be used, although I don't necessarily support it. But that's mostly because it makes more sense to me to have buildings going up only if they have the right structural reinforcement to make them really solid, and something like explosive demo can unfortunately lead to trends of buildings going up without reinforcement, and that's not an ideal system. Again, you can see why it happens with projects like Ocean Tower that were meant to address a great and immediate need, such as population developments, especially when it's a massive undertaking that seems impossible to finish. I don't agree with its use on buildings that might be considered historically worth preserving to others, because explosive technique eliminates the possibility of gathering and keeping artifacts and architectural elements. Generally in these cases if it has happened it's likely been regrettable; it's a controversial topic. I would prefer not to see it used again on Padre Island, but that might be a bit about planning. Additionally, it's a tricky technique otherwise to use, since it should be as careful as construction in terms of timing and execution, and failing careful strategy of those can result in possible injuries to anyone involved or proximate to the area, which is just regrettable in general to all sides.

But this might not be what you're getting at. If you were talking about actual gravitational implosion, I'd have a different opinion, for example. Is this in terms of implosions that have been used downtown or the use of them in the future?
Thank you for your input... I was specifically referring to implosion as related to Nola..
Thanks and I look forward to developing projects and sharing information as it relates to our great city..

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 3:57 PM

I've been reading this board for over a year or two know and love all the posts about progress in our city. lot of people on this board with alot of good insider knowledge on what's going on in the city.

Drove by the Blue Plate renovation yesterday and saw the recent post about the project on here. I love seeing old buildings turn into something good for the city.

I also was glad to see that the old gas station on the corner of S Carrollton Ave and Claiborne has turned into something finally. That was a blighted corner at a very busy intersection. its nice to see a business like Take 5 Oil Change turn this corner into something nice.

The next corner i hope gets a face lift would be right down the road at Earhart and S Carrollton. Maybe once the road construction is finished on Earhart, something will get done.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 4:03 PM
-

Link for renovation documents for Hotel Monteleone.

http://planroom.fhmyers.com/Default....otelMonteleone

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:08 PM

Does anyone know if anyone is planning to do something with Plaza Tower? With The Hyatt opening and SMD going up a few blocks down, I can't imagine it would continue to sit there, unoccupied...

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cel View Post
Does anyone know if anyone is planning to do something with Plaza Tower? With The Hyatt opening and SMD going up a few blocks down, I can't imagine it would continue to sit there, unoccupied...
The South Market District will actually have one building sit right across from the Plaza Tower when its finished. I think your right that when its all done the tower will no longer be as isolated as it once was. One thing Ive always enjoyed about the Plaza Tower were its views. Since its several large blocks away from all the other highrises its got more of a panoramic view which is unique amongst all the highrises. Its future is without doubt either residential or hotel.

New Bid on bidclerk( this appears to be one of the buildings on Tulane that is being renovated into The Blood Center)
1579269 New Orleans, LA Medical 05/05/2011
Description Renovation of a medical development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a five-story medical building. The owner has determined a list of select general contractors to bid on this project. Invited general contra...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 7:59 PM

In a recent article about the South Market development they mentioned there is strong interest, maybe even a contract on the Plaza tower. It has been abated and is ready for a developer to come in.

We should all remember thought that the SMD project has yet to finalize firm financing (or announce it atleast). They now own some of the land they are after but I do not think all. I expect when they come out announcing financing or requesting bids. You might see some action on the plaza...

I am all for reusing buildings, especially tall ones. But so much about the PT offends me that id rather see it go. I dont think we'd have any "less" of a downtown or skyline if it was gone.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The South Market District will actually have one building sit right across from the Plaza Tower when its finished. I think your right that when its all done the tower will no longer be as isolated as it once was. One thing Ive always enjoyed about the Plaza Tower were its views. Since its several large blocks away from all the other highrises its got more of a panoramic view which is unique amongst all the highrises. Its future is without doubt either residential or hotel.

New Bid on bidclerk( this appears to be one of the buildings on Tulane that is being renovated into The Blood Center)
1579269 New Orleans, LA Medical 05/05/2011
Description Renovation of a medical development in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a five-story medical building. The owner has determined a list of select general contractors to bid on this project. Invited general contra...Click here for complete Project Details
Yeah, this is the Blood Center. Looks like it will be moving to Canal Street. The address they are giving is 1630 Canal... that's the shuttered Days Inn/Canal Street Hotel. I can't imagine them taking over that whole building.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:20 AM

Not sure if that has been posted - Renderings for new CVS...

...at Napoleon & Claiborne.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 5:07 AM

Is there still a Walgreens at that intersection?

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 5:41 AM
TL;DR

^ Yes, the Walgreens is still there. It has terrible hours, though, and it's fairly dirty by Walgreens standards.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
In a recent article about the South Market development they mentioned there is strong interest, maybe even a contract on the Plaza tower. It has been abated and is ready for a developer to come in.

We should all remember thought that the SMD project has yet to finalize firm financing (or announce it atleast). They now own some of the land they are after but I do not think all. I expect when they come out announcing financing or requesting bids. You might see some action on the plaza...

I am all for reusing buildings, especially tall ones. But so much about the PT offends me that id rather see it go. I dont think we'd have any "less" of a downtown or skyline if it was gone.
I cant disagree with you more. That building has a huge presence on the skyline and its such a unique looking tower that I think it adds alot of character.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yes, the Walgreens is still there. It has terrible hours, though, and it's fairly dirty by Walgreens standards.
Very true. CVS is clearly going after Walgreens and thats fine with me as I think CVS is a better store in general. Cleaner better hours and better deals.

Old Posted May 6, 2011, 4:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Yeah, this is the Blood Center. Looks like it will be moving to Canal Street. The address they are giving is 1630 Canal... that's the shuttered Days Inn/Canal Street Hotel. I can't imagine them taking over that whole building.
Look at the old blood center on S. Johnson.. they actually had a quite a large facility so they probably will be using the whole thing.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 6:23 AM

Just so everyone knows, I saw a commercial that said WDSU is going to be talking to the investors of Trump Tower on Monday at 10 pm. I'm not expecting anything good to come out of the segment but still interested to watch.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 10:45 PM

Does anyone have any recent photos or updates from the I-10 Twin Span construction?

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I disagree too. Plaza Tower is one of the craziest looking skyscrapers I've ever seen. I've loved it since I was a little kid. Its "the building with the hat"!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations