HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:26 PM
The City

^ There is something really appealing about that huge red canopy. I would hope it be kept in the redevelopment

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:54 PM

900 West

Feb 17

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ There is something really appealing about that huge red canopy. I would hope it be kept in the redevelopment
Agree completely. Reuse, repurpose

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Tech coworking kicks off another Fulton Market rehab:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...affery-project
the difference 10 years makes

Last edited by Via Chicago; Feb 21, 2018 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:06 AM
1st Ward

^ Lol @ the El Faro truck on the top pic. That place is a total hole in the wall in you might call downtown Summit, on Archer and 61st Pl, but it has amazing massive and amazing good burritos.

Crazy the changes that have been made to the area. River Pointe and 150 N Riverside are welcome additions in that 2nd pic.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 1:59 AM
The City

As recently as August 2015 I was attending a startup incubator in the area (the startup fizzled..) for several weeks. That place was teeming with meatpacker activity.

How about today? Is any of that still left or all they pretty much all gone?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:16 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Agree completely. Reuse, repurpose
Renderings here show that the red canopy will remain:

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...elopment-85304

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
As recently as August 2015 I was attending a startup incubator in the area (the startup fizzled..) for several weeks. That place was teeming with meatpacker activity.

I used to always go to the Guerrilla Truck Show when NeoCon is in town. Last time I went was maybe four/five ... ? ... years ago and there were still some blocks with odd smelling effluence.

But even back then, we all stood in the middle of Fulton getting hammered, surrounded by design, reminiscing about how the neighborhood had changed from the 90's when you'd leave Shelter and end up at some bizarre after party with ... nope, hold on ... that was more like Grand and Ashland. That shit was rough.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:

Unrecognizable compared to 2014/2015. There's certainitly still stuff there. But I mean they're increasingly islands as opposed to well, actually representing a fully functioning and cohesive meatpacking district. It seems like they're dropping by the month, and the change has really accelerated just in the past 12 months I'd say. Once all the projects currently in the pipeline wrap up, I can't even imagine what it will be like. Like I know how many more buildings are supposed to go in, and how many more people will be flooding the neighborhood, but I still cant actually visualize the end result, and the impact it will have.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 8:51 AM

New york's 66 floor Nobu has just got underway and chicago cant even get an 11 floor Nobu off the ground? Just sad.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...209254&page=19

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
New york's 66 floor Nobu has just got underway and chicago cant even get an 11 floor Nobu off the ground? Just sad.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...209254&page=19
No, Mark Hunt can't even get an 11 story Nobu off the ground. I've been ragging on him since we'll before this broke ground, you know, when it took years and years for him to get the site entitled. He is a terrible developer and screwed the pooch once already on the first shot Chicago had at a Soho House over at the Three Arts building. This has nothing to do with Chicago and everything to do with Nobu foolishly partnering with someone who has a track record of failure. I mean how can you not land financing on a project with a tenant like Nobu that you already poured millions of your own money into which also happens to be prominently located in one of the hottest neighborhoods on Earth? Oh and this is all happening during the longest economic boom in US history. Total amateur hour...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
No, Mark Hunt can't even get an 11 story Nobu off the ground. I've been ragging on him since we'll before this broke ground, you know, when it took years and years for him to get the site entitled. He is a terrible developer and screwed the pooch once already on the first shot Chicago had at a Soho House over at the Three Arts building. This has nothing to do with Chicago and everything to do with Nobu foolishly partnering with someone who has a track record of failure. I mean how can you not land financing on a project with a tenant like Nobu that you already poured millions of your own money into which also happens to be prominently located in one of the hottest neighborhoods on Earth? Oh and this is all happening during the longest economic boom in US history. Total amateur hour...
Gotta agree.

West Loop is on fire. They just have their heads up their asses

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 9:04 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/2/22...g-bay#comments

Sterling Bay scoops up former Montgomery Ward warehouse for $510M

The historic Prairie School style building at 600 W. Chicago is home to companies such as Groupon
By Jay Koziarz Feb 22, 2018, 11:01am CST

Long associated with repositioning old structures into new office space, Chicago developer Sterling Bay is getting into the habit of picking up large, fully-leased buildings with its acquisition of 600 W. Chicago Avenue.
Designed in 1908 by architects Schmidt, Garden, and Martin as the world’s largest reinforced concrete building, the former Montgomery Ward warehouse comes nearly fully leased with tenants including Groupon, Echo Global Logistics, Uptake Technologies, Jump Trading, Big Ten Network, and Lightbank.

Although Sterling Bay wasn’t behind the structure’s initial adaptive reuse, the company still plans to add value to the 1.65-million-square-foot complex. Proposed upgrades include updates to the building’s common areas and roof deck, new retail spaces, and an improved riverwalk experience.

At $510 million, the transaction represents Sterling Bay’s biggest deal to date. However, the company is expected to soon follow up with an even pricier two-building acquisition of Prudential Plaza for an estimated $680 million...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:56 PM

Gems ii

Feb 20

Like good citizens they are settling out the sediment before dumping the water down the drain.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:37 AM

Sears Tower - more lobby

Jan 26

Feb 21

Temporary entrance for skydeck

Clearing the land

We're still watching you !

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Jan 26

Feb 21

Clearing the land
The "Mailbox" entrance on Wacker is closing tomorrow (Friday)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:00 PM
You had me at herro...

I'll have to go walk by it, looks almost surreal to see what looks like they're junking the building (even though of course it's just the first floor).

$500M total in plans, that seems sky high. You could built an entire new highrise for that amount.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/2/22...g-bay#comments

Sterling Bay scoops up former Montgomery Ward warehouse for $510M

The historic Prairie School style building at 600 W. Chicago is home to companies such as Groupon
By Jay Koziarz Feb 22, 2018, 11:01am CST

Long associated with repositioning old structures into new office space, Chicago developer Sterling Bay is getting into the habit of picking up large, fully-leased buildings with its acquisition of 600 W. Chicago Avenue.
Designed in 1908 by architects Schmidt, Garden, and Martin as the world’s largest reinforced concrete building, the former Montgomery Ward warehouse comes nearly fully leased with tenants including Groupon, Echo Global Logistics, Uptake Technologies, Jump Trading, Big Ten Network, and Lightbank.

Although Sterling Bay wasn’t behind the structure’s initial adaptive reuse, the company still plans to add value to the 1.65-million-square-foot complex. Proposed upgrades include updates to the building’s common areas and roof deck, new retail spaces, and an improved riverwalk experience.

At $510 million, the transaction represents Sterling Bay’s biggest deal to date. However, the company is expected to soon follow up with an even pricier two-building acquisition of Prudential Plaza for an estimated $680 million...
I thought they just recently did something to the roof deck on that building, strange... I guess they are going to add more "amenities" and flip it?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:23 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I'll have to go walk by it, looks almost surreal to see what looks like they're junking the building (even though of course it's just the first floor).

$500M total in plans, that seems sky high. You could built an entire new highrise for that amount.
I thought the $500 million also was going towards renovating the building and wasn't just the cost of the bottom level addition. If no renovations are taking place then I'm with you, that cost seems ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I thought the $500 million also was going towards renovating the building and wasn't just the cost of the bottom level addition. If no renovations are taking place then I'm with you, that cost seems ridiculous.
I believe that includes the elevator renovations as well which of I heard correctly could cost upwards of $500-$750 thousand a piece.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development