HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWXGuy1208 View Post
To me this is just sad. Every project that seems to have sound finances and is a no brainier for development somehow is thrown to the side in the 11th hour and we get stuck going back to square, one or worse, getting something cheaper and less thought out. This is almost 10 years of various projects/development opportunities that have seemed like a slam dunk and wind up being failures. The majority of this tends to be on the city's end with them either wanting more money from companies or just not wanting to execute leases for unknown reasons. I'm just tired of such great projects that would help define our city go to the wayside because of stupidity.
Im not sure I agree with this on this one. they just put that bid out this year. hasnt been ten years and its their job to try and get as much money. Personally, i wish they would just sell that stuff.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:59 PM

Canal and Carrollton

anyone know what is being built at the corner of Canal and Carrollton?

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:09 PM

A stand alone Ochsner Emergency Room.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 6:36 PM

A really interesting photo article inspired by the sinkhole on Canal...
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...anal_stre.html

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
A really interesting photo article inspired by the sinkhole on Canal...
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...anal_stre.html

Robert Moses. The reason NYC and NOLA share convoluted, inefficient and indirect freeway systems that are rather difficult to modernize.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Robert Moses. The reason NYC and NOLA share convoluted, inefficient and indirect freeway systems that are rather difficult to modernize.
Very true...

Another

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:22 AM

So thankful that didn't happen. Our riverfront would essentially look like Louisville's.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 7:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Or... maybe it's because both are very old, densely built cities with weird geography sitting around wide rivers, canals, harbors, etc?

Houston has the ideal geography for a freeway system - flat land, almost no large bodies of water, and plenty of land available for right of way. NOLA is the opposite in every respect (well, our land is pretty flat). The city is a strip a few miles wide along the East and West Banks. You can't build a hub and spoke system like Houston or Chicago - where would the beltways go? - and you can't really do a grid like Los Angeles because of the expense of building river bridges.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you would do to "modernize" the freeways in NOLA other than to build out more of what Robert Moses proposed back in the 50s. The odd thing is that the unbuilt segments, with the exception of the Riverfront section along the Quarter, were slated for industrial areas or open land where virtually nobody would have been displaced. The Uptown riverfront, the Elysian Fields neutral ground, Earhart, etc. In any other city they would have been non-controversial.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Or... maybe it's because both are very old, densely built cities with weird geography sitting around wide rivers, canals, harbors, etc?

Houston has the ideal geography for a freeway system - flat land, almost no large bodies of water, and plenty of land available for right of way. NOLA is the opposite in every respect (well, our land is pretty flat). The city is a strip a few miles wide along the East and West Banks. You can't build a hub and spoke system like Houston or Chicago - where would the beltways go? - and you can't really do a grid like Los Angeles because of the expense of building river bridges.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you would do to "modernize" the freeways in NOLA other than to build out more of what Robert Moses proposed back in the 50s. The odd thing is that the unbuilt segments, with the exception of the Riverfront section along the Quarter, were slated for industrial areas or open land where virtually nobody would have been displaced. The Uptown riverfront, the Elysian Fields neutral ground, Earhart, etc. In any other city they would have been non-controversial.
I was referring more to the roadway geometry and overall engineering of the networks and interchanges that were built. His work has a very signature style with an abundance of helicoils, loops, dips, and elevations when they were never needed in the first place to get the job done, plus they are all but impossible to expand and replacement becomes unnecessarily expensive.

I wasn't speaking on beltways and grids or the unbuilt portions, but what are now the I-310 and I-510 were actually the remnants of an uncompleted beltway. I-55 was to follow the present day I-10 west into the city, I-10 would have come from across the river and was to turn down N. Claiborne through the Lower 9 and Chalmette, etc. on to Mississippi via the Rigolets, and I-59 would have dropped down through the East and into the CBD via the current I-10. In other words the original plan was a hub and spoke and it very much could have been built if environmental concerns hadn't become more important during the 1970's.

Actually, if it could be done over again and more freeways were seen as necessary, a grid similar to L.A. would probably work best. Most of the area is already in a grid pattern similar to L.A. and up until the 80's a body of water never stopped anything in terms of construction. Just look at the East River.

Last edited by Uptowner; May 13, 2016 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
Looks like Super Cuts is joining Wingstop and TMobile in the CVS lot in Mid City.
I believe there will be 5 tenants other than CVS. Do you know who else is coming?

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 9:27 PM

If you haven't seen the aerial drone video of the city (it's posted on nola.com), check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Rs...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
If you haven't seen the aerial drone video of the city (it's posted on nola.com), check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Rs...ature=youtu.be
Love it! I haven't been home for several years, so the video is way too short.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:03 PM

canal street mid city

Does anyone know if something is going up on Canal Street next to Warren Easton? I think It appears they started to rope things off and I saw trucks on site.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:47 PM

I know a while back Warren Easton was trying to buy the lot to turn it into a practice field. I'm not sure if they are moving forward with that...

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I know a while back Warren Easton was trying to buy the lot to turn it into a practice field. I'm not sure if they are moving forward with that...
Yeah I think its a practive field or football with some ancillary structures.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:30 PM

Traveltalks New Orleans 1940

you see these on Turner Classic Movies occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0iKYQBUB8

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:23 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I was referring more to the roadway geometry and overall engineering of the networks and interchanges that were built. His work has a very signature style with an abundance of helicoils, loops, dips, and elevations when they were never needed in the first place to get the job done, plus they are all but impossible to expand and replacement becomes unnecessarily expensive.
Replacement cost is admittedly a valid concern.

Expansion should not be encouraged in urban neighborhoods, especially when tolling could reduce the congestion and generate money to support transit service instead.

Also, the dips and elevations are the best part. To me it's a little thrilling to experience the city spatially like that, with panoramic elevated views at certain points and deep trenches at others (obviously no trenches in New Orleans but definitely on e.g. the Cross-Bronx or Moses' stuff in Pittsburgh).

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
you see these on Turner Classic Movies occasionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0iKYQBUB8
Thanks so much for that! I truly hope we can get something like that Lowes Sign put back on the state palace theatre. Really great looking!

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:48 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreergen View Post
I believe there will be 5 tenants other than CVS. Do you know who else is coming?
Now we know Marshalls (no surprise here) is coming too. Id expect full chain store leasing for this property.

500 N Carrollton Ave, 560·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: ZUSGNB
Download (14) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Floyd Schexnayder
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
5/17/2016 10:03:19 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant finish out of 19910 SF retail shell: clothing store (Marshalls)

and

500 N Carrollton Ave, 550·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: WC4YLE
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Floyd Schexnayder
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
5/16/2016 2:37:27 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior Finish out of a 12,500 sf portion of 32,450 sf retail shell building: pet store (Petco).

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:23 PM

Trade District

More good news for the Trade District as the bill continues to sail unopposed!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...medium=twitter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations