HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Even better, it's neighbor is the Nat'l Historic Landmark, Colcord Hotel. Two landmarks, side by side, both across from the fantastic Myriad Gardens, in the center of a city still charging forward politically, socially, and apparently, economically.
i was just thinking that. how cool that it will be next to the park. If it has an observation deck then the park will definitely benefit. just a short walk from bricktown too. build more fountains okc! i really enjoyed my yr. in okc. great town.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 12:44 AM
Here we stAy

Very nice looking, especially the atrium.

The cross section view looks like it says the tower is 925', not 952'.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:31 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post

It is, apparently a typo.

The Myriad Gardens are an urban oasis in a city more know for weather disasters than a landmark skyscraper, as seen this week with flooding. It will be interesting to see it constructed, and the methods they'll use. OKC is one of America's windiest cities, as well as one with a reputation for severe wx. I would not doubt this will enhance the city's profile, hell, the whole OKC Metro as a city with huge potential, that is being tapped now. It will show that this is a business city, yet still have a frontier feel. This will also probably make other companies look at the possibility of moving downtown and going up, there is plenty of room to do so anyways.

Another OKC landmark, First Nat'l Tower, is set for reconstruction to bring it up to par and class "A" status.

No observation deck guys, sorry, I'm busting that balloon today.

The view looking up from the atrium, it sort of resembles they cuts of the BOA Tower in Dallas. The top almost has small "fins" in a way, sort of reminiscent to Pickard-Chilton's 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta. Lastly, as always, a nice glass curtain that has basically become their trademark with it's recently completed and uncer construction towers.

Excellent choice and design Devon, good to see that energy money going to an actual good use, in ways that are financially, physically, and mentally positive.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:39 AM

They want gold or platinum LEED on top of being freaking awesome looking.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:53 AM
Go Saxons!!

Wow, great news for OKC! And a cool building too!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 1:58 AM

Lastly, in the skyline rendering, you can see their current MAIN headquarters building. It is in front of the Chase Tower, and behind the Colcord Hotel.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:09 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
It is funny how it towers over the Chase Tower. Even better, it's neighbor is the Nat'l Historic Landmark, Colcord Hotel. Two landmarks, side by side, both across from the fantastic Myriad Gardens, in the center of a city still charging forward politically, socially, and apparently, economically. Tulsa, give up the crown, it's time for OKC to rein supreme over the state for which it is named for.

Easily seen on a clear day from Norman, El Reno, and possibly, Guthrie.
Excuse me? Did I miss something.? Tulsa had the crown in Oklahoma? Nothing against Tulsa, but they were always smaller than OKC and had a smaller output than OKC.

I think that "crown" only applieD to tallest building. Otherwise, OKC has always reigned over Oklahoma!

And will continue, even more quickly in the near future outpace Tulsa (becoming more of a Philly to Pittsburg analogy - both cities nice with lots going for them, but Philly is at a different level than Pitts; I see OKC going in that direction, quickly).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:06 AM
Meh

No city vs city arguments.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:06 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickn
very rarely does one see a skyscraper with three facades instead of 1,2,4,6, or 8. City of Faith in Tulsa and US Steel in Pittsburgh, both from the 1970s, are the last (no, Commerzbank in Frankfurt, nevermind) and possibly first time it was done this effectively.
There are others too. I believe the tallest is Central Plaza in Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post

Fixed.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:14 AM

Well its abooooout time OKC ended its shame ;-P (aka little ol Tulsa for ages having the tallest, second tallest, third tallest, fourth tallest... buildings in the state) You didnt just break the record for tallest in the state, you smashed it to bits. She is a nice looking building, really hope it gets built. Good going OKC.

If only Tulsas SemGroup hadnt bit the dust, that could have been one of our best chances to snag a new skyscraper. I hear that Devon is a solid company so unlikely to go belly up anytime soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for OKC to get this done.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:45 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Gosh dang I am jealous! What a great looking glass facade. I am sick of Denver living in the 700-foot realm. Time for a 900+ footer. No fair, OKC.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:28 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickn View Post
By the way, if Signature Tower in Nashville has already been completed by Devon's time (or if not but you count Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas), Oklahoma will, of the 50 states, be tenth by tallest building:

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=8153

This is not the first time for Oklahoma to have ranked so highly; in 1976, before the rise of places like the Southeast, Seattle, and Denver, and the attempted renaissance of places like Cleveland, Detroit, Jersey City and Indianapolis, the ranking looked like this:

1974 Illinois 1,450
1972 New York 1,368
1974 California 858
1970 Pennsylvania 841
1973 Minnesota 792
1964 Massachusetts 749
1971 Texas 715
1928 Ohio 708
1972 Louisiana 697
1976 Oklahoma 667
It's unfortunate that Sears Tower doesn't get to include it's antennae! Otherwise, and realistically - Sears is 1750'. A supermonster that set the bar and always will!

Hi Kevin, I wasn't trying to start anything - I was just amazed at the comment. Tulsa has OKC beat only in skyscrapers, so Im not sure what the crown was other than if it was for that point; as the poster didn't specify.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Excuse me? Did I miss something.? Tulsa had the crown in Oklahoma? Nothing against Tulsa, but they were always smaller than OKC and had a smaller output than OKC.

I think that "crown" only applieD to tallest building. Otherwise, OKC has always reigned over Oklahoma!

And will continue, even more quickly in the near future outpace Tulsa (becoming more of a Philly to Pittsburg analogy - both cities nice with lots going for them, but Philly is at a different level than Pitts; I see OKC going in that direction, quickly).
Quite true. OKC Is and always has been tops in that state. The Philly to Pitts anolog is a bit of a stretch though. Philly is enormosly larger than PBG. Perhaps Seattle to Portland, or Memphis to Nashville would be more with it. As for the tallest building? I can really see that. Buffalo has always been bugged by Albany having the tallest in NYS outside NYC, and every time there;s a plan to change that, something strange happens. Here's hopeing OKC has much better luck. By the way, that tower is going to be OUTFUCKINGSTANDING!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 11:41 AM
Big City Enthusiast

really?

I know Philly is enormously bigger than Pitts in population; but I was thinking more along the lines of economy and impact in the state of Penn. Clearly, Philly and Pitts are the major players, which Harrisburg pulling and controling some of the strings.

I think it fits OKC-Tulsa in a way, because you combine Philly and Harrisburg (getting OKC) and Tulsa would be analogous to Pitts (economic power with some great positives Philly doesnt have).

Oklahoma is unique in that it has two very prominent cities (statewide) and for many years OKC didn't really step up and be the big city. that has changed, and I think the Philly Pitts analogy fits beautifully. Pitts (Tulsa) is no slouch, great city and would otherwise be tops, but Philly (OKC) is clearly the big city in the state.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:22 AM

as to the skyscraper crown wearing city of OK discussion:

I thought tulsa was equal if not better in the skyline department. I guess its because there tall ones are closer togther. they both look nice, but for its size tulsa kinda trumps okc. This new tower will definitely change that. It's one of the nicest proposals out there.

when construction is finished okc will be a serious contender for the most dramatically improved/changed skyline. it only takes one, as we know, after philly was nominated numerous time due to the comcast addition.

i really hope this gets built. okc's renaissance is one of the best in the country. Good job MAPS! i love what they've done with the deep duece. next stop gasoline alley.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:28 AM
Everywhere all at once

So excited for Oklahoma City. I always wanted it to step up and ahead of its current state. It has so much potential. Good Luck OKC!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 4:11 AM

GREAT news!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 2:54 AM

I agree,great news.I hope it get built.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 3:37 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

that tower is simply georgous!!!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 5:04 PM

I really like this and am rooting for it to get built. Way to go OKC!

But I really want Pickard-Chilton to start diversifying their designs a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive