HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
Oh boy! Another regional pissing match!
I don't think anyone is really getting into a pissing match here... the Mtl forumers were just upset (justifiably) by a misrepresentation of their city.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 11:02 PM
Dérive-r

For the record, I don't share randito's opinions on Montreal, I just thought it would be fun to come up with a Vancouver list to satisfy my own curiosity. We've had very little office construction this decade despite favourable vacancy rates.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

You must live at Radisson metro or something, and never come downtown.
Montreal metro has never shrunk in population. And if the inner city has, so has that of almost every city in North America. Find me a city in North America that is more vibrant after dark than downtown Montreal. Not Vancouver, thats fer shure! (I love Vancouver, and lived there for years, but the downtown nightlife does not hold a candle, nor a firefly, to that of Mtl's, malek or no malek.
Actually, I live on the plateau, on Mont-Royal and Christophe-Columbe. Not Radisson. The station i am refering to is Beaudry, I have never seen both escalators working once in 5 years.

As for nightlife, agreed, Vancouver is a dead town. Few cities can hold a candle to montreal. When i said Montreal is dead, it was obviously in context of the thread, the skylines. Many other people posted tongue in cheek photos of montreal, posting the same photo twice and labelling one 2009 and the second one 2020 future render. Funny but true. As a montreal who cares about this place, I am the only one it seems who asks "why is this the case?" and "what can we do to change this?".

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I don't think anyone is really getting into a pissing match here... the Mtl forumers were just upset (justifiably) by a misrepresentation of their city.
Actually, I have lived in montreal for 5 years, and I am quite well informed on montreal's current urban planning issues, I have many friends that are city employees in planning or are city councellors. I would not call my viewpoints a misrepresentation of "their" city, I am commenting on MY city in context of this thread. They are just upset because my comments hit where it hurts. Montreal's future skyline renders are in fact the same as current photos, there is next to no growth here because the city is in decline. It hurts me just as much as it hurts them, but I am not going to get defensive over it, I am going to look for solutions!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 5:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Local News

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...wAllComments=y

18 new towers for downtown?

New workers could spark construction boom: study

By: Bartley Kives

DOWNTOWN Winnipeg is doing much better as an economic engine than its reputation sug­gests, according to a new study of em­ployment in the city's core.
About 57,000 people work downtown and another 9,700 could join them in the next 25 years and spark the con­struction of 18 new office towers, according to the city-commissioned Downtown Winnipeg Employment Study. The study was completed on Feb. 26 by a pair of Toronto consult­ants and just made public.
Based on Statistics Canada employ­ment data, consulting firms Altus Clayton and Urban Strategies Inc. found Winnipeg ranked third among eight Canadian metropolitan areas in terms of the concentration of jobs based in their respective core business districts. Only Regina and Calgary --
two cities with downtown reputation issues of their own -- had more jobs based in their respective cores.
The results are counterintuitive, in that inner-city Winnipeg suffers from a negative reputation due to its rela­tively large size and relatively small population. Only about 13,000 people reside within the formal boundaries of downtown Winnipeg, giving rise to the perception the area is unsafe because few people are on the street during evenings and weekends.
But almost one in four residents of metropolitan Winnipeg, an area that includes bedroom communities for the purposes of statistical analysis, actually work in the city's central business district, the study suggests.
Formally, the area defined as down­town Winnipeg is bounded by the Assiniboine River to the south, the Red River to the east and an irregu­lar northwest boundary that zigzags southwest from Chinatown, past the western edges of the Exchange Dis­trict and Central Park to the Univer­sity of Winnipeg and then finally down to the Assiniboine at Balmoral Street. The area defined as Winnipeg's cen­tral business district also includes the Health Sciences Centre and parts of the Centennial, West Alexander, Spen­ce and West Broadway neighbour­hoods, plus Osborne Village and the northern chunk of Old St. Boniface.
Winnipeggers tend to underestimate the importance of the city's relatively large downtown workforce, mainly because office workers are spread throughout the central core, said Stef­ano Grande, executive director of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ.
In 2008, when the BIZ asked New York City retail consultant Michael J. Berne to study downtown Winnipeg, the organization was surprised by the positive feedback. Despite the flight of shoppers to Polo Park, St. Vital and Kenaston Commons, downtown Win­nipeg's retail sector remains healthi­er than those found in U.S. cities of a similar size, the consultant said.
"He said, 'Clearly your office work­ers are driving a lot of retail down­town and your local residential popu­lation is sustaining it," Grande said.
Forecasts of future economic growth in Winnipeg, which predict up to 9,700 downtown jobs will be added over the next 25 years, suggest the core will require another 3.7 million square feet of office space, a figure that translates into 18 new buildings.
Commercial realtors say the city could use more office space right away, given the extremely low office vacancy rates in Winnipeg, never mind even tighter supplies of retail, industrial and multi-family residen­tial space.
"We are at the lowest vacancy we've ever seen," said Don White, the brok­er for Colliers Pratt McGarry, which pegged the city's office-space vacancy rate at 5.4 per cent at the end of 2008.
White said Winnipeg will need new office buildings even if the economy softens as expected. But at the same time, nobody will build new office towers unless the office-space rental rates double or even triple to allow developers a better return on their in­vestment, he said. Class A office space in downtown Winnipeg rents for $15 to $17 per square foot. New office towers won't be feasible until those rates rise above $40 per square foot, he said.
"Our rental rates don't really justify construction. But as we start to grow, we simply need new real estate," he said. Unlike Calgary, where risk-tak­ing developers erected a glut of office space, Winnipeg investment firms tend to be conservative and avoid any form of office-tower speculation.
Winnipeg developers are also re­luctant to build new downtown apart­ment towers, despite a city-wide multi­family vacancy rate pegged at only one per cent, added White, claiming the city's apartment-vacancy rate "is at an unhealthy low."
In an unusual confluence of opinion, commercial realtors are on the same page as inner-city housing advocates who claim Winnipeg is already in the midst of a residential property crisis and could be on the verge of an explo­sion of homelessness.
Earlier this week, representatives from the non-profit Spence Neighbour­hood Association told city council's property and development committee that middle-class Winnipeggers are driving low-income residents out of a short supply of inner-city housing stock.
White agreed, stating a shortage of high-end and middle-class rental units is compounding Winnipeg's af­fordable- housing crisis.
bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Upside for downtown

Selected highlights from the city-commissioned Downtown Winnipeg Employment Study, conducted by Toronto consulting firms Altus Clayton and Urban Strategies Inc.: Approximately 57,000 people work in downtown Winnipeg, which has about 12.8 million square feet of office space. That means about a quarter of metro­politan Winnipeg's workforce is based downtown.
Winnipeg ranks third out of eight selected Canadian metro­politan areas when it comes to the percentage of total jobs that are based downtown. Population­wise, Winnipeg ranks seventh in the data analysis, which was based on Statistics Canada data and also included Toronto, Mont­real, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Regina.
The same analysis found Winnipeg ranked No. 1 in terms of the concentration of health­care jobs downtown and No. 2 in finance, real estate and profes­sions.
Over the next 25 years, downtown Winnipeg will generate up to 9,700 office jobs. The new em­ployment supports the creation of 3.7 million more square feet of office space, which amounts to about 18 new buildings.
-- Bartley Kives

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 5:18 PM

Good for Winnipeg, lets hope it happens.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 5:23 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Lets hope the Peg gets a couple of "New Tallest" among those 18 buildings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 8:42 PM
video et taceo

i agree that montreal isn't matching the pace of the canadian boomtowns, but i don't think decline is the right word. while the skyline hasn't changed much (for both cultural -- CDP HQ is as big as the 70 storey scotiabank centre -- and commercial reasons) since i moved here in 1995, many streetscapes and views have, and many transitional neighbourhoods are far more lively. we got hit so hard by de-industrialization that rehab and reuse take up a lot of our "new building activity." old montreal, griffintown and guy-concordia are very different, at street level, than they were ten years ago -- and 37,000 new inhabitants per year isn't detroit.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 9:54 PM
Look at me!

Great news for winnipeg, as long as the winnipeg definition of "tower" does not match the Montreal definition, which is "anything taller than Dinu Bombaru"

Quote:
I have never seen both escalators working once in 5 years
I have, on several occasions for many many years. I'd be more concerned about the faulty and unreliable service of the escalators in the Hall building.

Quote:
I get in fights all the time with Malek because we don't agree at all. I don't remember any posts getting deleted.
Ha ha, let me guess....cjb?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 12:01 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

3.7 million sq. ft. and 18 buildings, each with approx. 205 555 sq. ft.? I'd rather see 2 massive towers, with 1.85 million sq. ft. each, or 3 towers of 1.233 million sq. ft. each!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 12:23 PM

although i dont think real estate prices are high enough in winnipeg to support that kind of development, i agree. that kind of square footage SHOULD (fingers crossed) produce at least one or two nice towers!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 12:49 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Apologies to ProjectEnd

Ramako photoshopped this ProjectEnd photo and posted at UT - MLS towers

www.urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 8:57 AM
Dérive-r

Downtown Surrey in "2075". Most Vancouver forumers tend to agree 2030 seems more accurate. Personally I think it'll be more impressive than this by 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
this was in yesterday's Surrey Now

This will be Surrey in 2075

full article; http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/new...d-50be618864a0

An artist’s rendering shows what Surrey is projected to look like in 2075.
Photograph by : Bing Thom Architects/For the Now
http://www2.canada.com/surreynow/new...d-50be618864a0

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 12:14 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^i wonder when/if Surrey will surpass Mississauga as Canada's largest suburb...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Surrey is projected to reach Mississauga's 2006 population (~670,000) sometime between 2030 and 2040. While Surrey is currently growing a bit faster than Mississauga (14% growth for Surrey compared to 9% growth for Mississauga between the 2001 and 2006 censuses), and Missisauga's growth rate is expected to decrease somewhat, it will likely be a long time before Surrey catches up.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 3:38 PM
gettin' rich!

Mississauga has 1 Billion dollars in the bank too. - So go luck to Surrey trying to catch Mississauga at anything.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:19 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Or if Vancouver will become a suburb of Surrey. jk

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Mississauga has 1 Billion dollars in the bank too. - So go luck to Surrey trying to catch Mississauga at anything.
I love those who become far to sure of themselves. Only time will tell (and yes, we of course are talking about decades of time). I guess ratio wise Surrey is Canada's largest suburb?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post

Ha ha, let me guess....cjb?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 1:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Montreal is a more mature city than Vancouver and is significantly larger. It is a bit weird to consider a larger, older city to be "behind" a smaller one. It is also unrealistic to expect every city to grow ceaselessly.

I live in Vancouver and the only things I like here more than Montreal are the weather and natural setting and those are fairly difficult to change. The sense of progress in Vancouver is nice I guess but the condos don't really change much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada