HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Yep, we know that, Ken wants more Barrhaven's or Kanata's.

And he is silent for those large approval of lands for developpement in Half Moon Bay and near the Trim/174 area.
I was in Dunrobin yesterday and there are applaction signs up that is looks like it would turn 2 farmers fields in to a major housing devlopement yet is anything said about that of course not but people get all worked up over a 5 floor building in the city.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:02 PM
Awesome!

Oh let's not forget about Manotick and Richmond as well.

Anyways, the latest BS from the Bulldog.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2011/...your-homework/
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I was in Dunrobin yesterday and there are applaction signs up that is looks like it would turn 2 farmers fields in to a major housing devlopement yet is anything said about that of course not but people get all worked up over a 5 floor building in the city.
We need a word for that that is as over-the-top hysterical and catchy as "extremification".

taxraisingsprawlification doesn't quite do it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 5:14 AM

'Extremification' is hardly hysterical - the word grinds my gears!

That said, your word was applicable but too lengthy. Go Swedish on it and get it down to two letters.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 8:38 PM

Suburban sprawl-slumification? Where the outer suburbs either have to intensify or become semi-abandoned slums of the future where a 4000 sq. foot house can be had for as little as $50 000 'cause no one can afford to heat/cool/light the place and commute back and forth to work from it, and that look like the semi-abandoned, gap-toothed streetscapes of present inner Detroit, Philadelphia, etc.
It'd be good if you could somehow work "Bambi-killing" into that, as well.

Okay, that's way too long.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
'Extremification' is hardly hysterical - the word grinds my gears!

That said, your word was applicable but too lengthy. Go Swedish on it and get it down to two letters.
It is totally hysterical, in the hysteria sense, not the popular "humourous" sense.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 2:51 AM

Ahh...

"He's still funny, just not 'ha-ha' funny"....

These palatial slums of the future sound like great places for extra-lucrative grow-ops!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 1:38 AM
Citizen-at-large

I think I've finally got it: Suburplosion - the explosive expansion of sprawling suburbs triggered by the inacceptance to permit economically feasible and sustainable intensification.

Everyone, you heard it here first.

Last edited by Ottawan; Oct 16, 2011 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I think I've finally got it: Suburplosion - the explosive expansion of sprawling suburbs triggered by the inacceptance to permit economically feasible and sustainable intensification.

Monday morning, run, do not walk, to the trademark office!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 7:59 PM
Awesome!

Yeah! Write this on his blog's comments section. Suburplosion.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 2:23 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Yeah! Write this on his blog's comments section. Suburplosion.
I do read the blog, but I find the comments section of it (and in fact of any page on any online news site) particularly frustrating, so I don't generally engage anyone there. It's possible that could change, but not likely. That's why I enjoy SSP so much: people have divergent opinions here, but for the most part discuss issues in an intelligent and cordial way.

That said, feel free to use it in the comments section yourself. In fact, I would love it if you, or anyone else, wanted to use the term and comment on the Suburplosive nature of Ken's dogma.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:58 PM

Ken keeps us all looking forward to '67.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:14 AM

Quote:

Nice! Catchy, succinct. Well done.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:16 PM

From Mr. Gray's column today:

"You see light rail is not just a mode of transport, but a tool of urban planning. That means the Richmond-Byron linear park is a bad spot for the line. First, Highland Park residents won’t want what they perceive will be a noisy line near their homes whose price will be diminished by rail. Of course, built properly, light rail is not noisy and the proximity to the line is likely to raise house prices by tens of thousands of dollars. But that won’t matter. Residents just don’t want it.

But second, worse and unfortunately correct, developers will want to construct intensifying high-rise towers along the route thereby destroying one of the nicest neighbourhoods in Ottawa. Furthermore, every time a new condo is proposed in the community, war will ensue. Meanwhile, the thin strip of land is the local dog-walking park. Driving a wedge between families and the family dog is political suicide. If Jim Watson wants to be a one-term mayor (and he doesn’t), this will help."

I think Ken supports intensification in theory, and says many of the right things in his columns. He just vastly underestimates the impact that he is having by giving a voice to every malcontent in the city. By validating these types of generic arguments, the inevitable result is that intensification projects remain a long, hard slog while greenfield developments cruise right along. It's not that he wants sprawl, he is just making himself a tool of sprawl.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:29 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
From Mr. Gray's column today:

"You see light rail is not just a mode of transport, but a tool of urban planning. That means the Richmond-Byron linear park is a bad spot for the line. First, Highland Park residents won’t want what they perceive will be a noisy line near their homes whose price will be diminished by rail. Of course, built properly, light rail is not noisy and the proximity to the line is likely to raise house prices by tens of thousands of dollars. But that won’t matter. Residents just don’t want it.

But second, worse and unfortunately correct, developers will want to construct intensifying high-rise towers along the route thereby destroying one of the nicest neighbourhoods in Ottawa. Furthermore, every time a new condo is proposed in the community, war will ensue. Meanwhile, the thin strip of land is the local dog-walking park. Driving a wedge between families and the family dog is political suicide. If Jim Watson wants to be a one-term mayor (and he doesn’t), this will help."

I think Ken supports intensification in theory, and says many of the right things in his columns. He just vastly underestimates the impact that he is having by giving a voice to every malcontent in the city. By validating these types of generic arguments, the inevitable result is that intensification projects remain a long, hard slog while greenfield developments cruise right along. It's not that he wants sprawl, he is just making himself a tool of sprawl.
If you read a bit more of the column, he goes on to say that he supports intensification of Carling Avenue, and even suggests that the residents there would welcome it.

This really frustrates me, because it shows a horribly classist bent - intensification (esp. towers) is welcome in poorer/more run down areas - it would improve them! Intensification is not welcome in ritzy areas - tall towers would "destroy these neighbourhoods".

Mr. Gray is such a hypocrite - not only in regards to his intensification views, but also his views on anything done by Katherine Hobbs (insupportable because she does it, even if a decision he would otherwise applaud, such as councillors actually taking transit or biking) and his views on LRT (it's not the plan I liked that was cancelled, so it must be wrong, even if serving a similar purpose).

If there were a stronger word than hypocrite to describe extreme hypocricy, it should be applied to Ken. How about Hyperhypocricy. He is a hyperhypocrite. There - I'm on a roll.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
If you read a bit more of the column, he goes on to say that he supports intensification of Carling Avenue, and even suggests that the residents there would welcome it.

This really frustrates me, because it shows a horribly classist bent - intensification (esp. towers) is welcome in poorer/more run down areas - it would improve them! Intensification is not welcome in ritzy areas - tall towers would "destroy these neighbourhoods".

Mr. Gray is such a hypocrite - not only in regards to his intensification views, but also his views on anything done by Katherine Hobbs (insupportable because she does it, even if a decision he would otherwise applaud, such as councillors actually taking transit or biking) and his views on LRT (it's not the plan I liked that was cancelled, so it must be wrong, even if serving a similar purpose).

If there were a stronger word than hypocrite to describe extreme hypocricy, it should be applied to Ken. How about Hyperhypocricy. He is a hyperhypocrite. There - I'm on a roll.
Hyperhypocricy is definitely a winner!

Does the view on Carling really surprise you? I support intensification, just somewhere else (and preferably somewhere less nice).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 8:35 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
I do read the blog, but I find the comments section of it (and in fact of any page on any online news site) particularly frustrating, so I don't generally engage anyone there. It's possible that could change, but not likely. That's why I enjoy SSP so much: people have divergent opinions here, but for the most part discuss issues in an intelligent and cordial way.

That said, feel free to use it in the comments section yourself. In fact, I would love it if you, or anyone else, wanted to use the term and comment on the Suburplosive nature of Ken's dogma.
I tried, but doesn't seem to work -unless it is my own browser that has technical issues (I have No-Script installed but even allowing everything it seem it didn't work.) Maybe it's just Ken who just doesn't want any comments to be posted. But maybe I will put those catchy words in regular articles sometime.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 10:34 PM

The wordpress commenting tool used by the Citizen no longer works on any computer I have access to, nor does it work for anyone I know. Which is why their comments have dwindled to zero on both the Grey blog and the Reevely blog. Something needs to be done about that - it sucks.

Do not try to accuse Ken Grey of his obvious-from-across-the-street hyper-hypocracy; I have done it in the past and he will not answer a question asking him what his alternative is - he will just go back to repeating his mantra of agreeing with intensification in principle, just not in his area, which will be destroyed, etc, etc. It is like talking to a brick wall.

Ken should also note that business owners and homeowners only allow their lot to be developed (or extremified) if they CHOOSE to sell it. They have every right to stay there, but money talks; if your neighbourS) sell their homes, do not balme the developer 100% for the destruction.

Anyway, Grey is a lost cause - let him have his little NIMBY-anywhere-but-Westboro blog that only a handful of people take seriously and move on.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:21 AM

"City centre unprepared for condo influx"

I think it is reasonable to worry that an increase in population might strain some city services, but the only example she gives is playgrounds - right after complaining there weren't enough children moving into the new condos.

City centre unprepared for condo influx

Diane Holmes decries lack of amenitiesas committee approves another highrise

By David Reevely, The Ottawa CitizenOctober 25, 2011 10:05 PM

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ci...#ixzz1brl04HQm

The city is happy to see thousands of people lining up to buy new downtown condominiums, but it doesn’t have a plan for supplying the amenities that make for nice neighbourhoods, city council’s planning committee heard Tuesday morning as it debated a new highrise at 346 Gloucester St.

The 18-storey tower itself, though it’s opposed by Somerset Councillor Diane Holmes (who finds it too tall, stuffed into an odd-shaped lot with two blank faces and an unconvincing “glass hat” to prettify the top), received unanimous approval from the committee. Holmes did, however, get support for an effort to look at whether the city government is really ready for what’s going on downtown.

The city compiles an annual development report that offers numbers but no evaluation. Last year, for instance, 44 per cent of Ottawa’s construction was in areas targeted for intensification, when the city was hoping for 36 per cent.

“It seems we are just marching along with the bubble and having no analytical capacity to say, ‘What should we be doing?’ ” Holmes said.

If the city isn’t ready, a good part of the problem is the city’s own doing. For many years, city politicians and planners have thought downtown’s biggest problem is a lack of people, especially after business hours, and more condos the best solution.

Way back in 1994, the pre-amalgamation Ottawa started waiving development charges — fees cities levy on construction projects to help pay for the services new residents and business will use, from water pipes to parkland — to revive downtown construction.

The program evolved and narrowed over the years as downtown projects picked up, but didn’t end completely until the beginning of August this year. And there was a two-year delay, so any developer with a condo-shaped twinkle in his eye rushed to get projects submitted by the deadline.

The amounts aren’t small. The city charges between $5,700 and $8,000 per unit for new apartments and condos inside the Greenbelt, depending how many bedrooms they have. For a medium-sized building like 346 Gloucester, with 200 units, that’s between $1 million and $1.5 million. Considering the city spent less than $60,000 on a new play structure in Osgoode recently, that money could go a long way.

Now, Holmes brandishes an information sheet showing that in her Somerset ward alone, the city has issued building permits for 430 condo units and a further 3,600 are working their way through the city’s approval process. These are all in addition to towers that are under construction now or have recently been finished.

“We should have ended it sooner, and we shouldn’t have given two years’ warning,” Holmes says of the fee holiday.

Holmes worries that there’s a bubble in the condo market, with would-be residents giving way to investors who rent units out, and investors giving way to speculators who care even less about the buildings they buy into.

And even if there isn’t a bubble, Holmes worries that the city isn’t doing much to make downtown a welcoming place to live.

The city actively wants more people living downtown, but it also wants a demographic mix, and most condos are being built for singles and retirees, Holmes said. Even if families wanted to move in, there’s a shortage of city amenities. Centretown is OK for open grass, but not much for slides and swings. “Where’s the (new) downtown library? Where are the parks?” she asked. Services like community health programs and day cares struggle to keep up.

It’s not just development charges that could pay for some of these things. The city is also close to setting guidelines for concessions and compensation it hopes to extract from developers who get rezonings to erect buildings taller than the rules ordinarily allow — something it’s had the power to do under the provincial Planning Act for nearly 30 years but never got around to. In planning jargon, these are called “Section 37s,” for the part of the law that allows them.

The city has already done a handful of similar deals in a less formal fashion. For instance, it extracted $1 million from Claridge Homes in exchange for permission to build two very big towers at Gloucester and Metcalfe Streets. The money paid for a renovation to the dog run at Jack Purcell Park and landscaping for neglected road allowances.

Holmes got help from the vice-chair of the planning committee, Councillor Jan Harder, who announced she’ll formally request the study Holmes wants at the committee’s next meeting.

Cities from Chicago (“my new favourite place”) to Vancouver to Barcelona manage to include small amenities in dense, historic neighbourhoods, Harder said, and there’s no reason why Ottawa can’t do the same. Development charges and Section 37 payments are the perfect way to fund pocket-sized parks and start saving for bigger projects, she said.

“Whether it’s a play structure or even just some benches to sit on, that’s definitely something we can do,” she said. “You need those things.” Downtown might not have room for the sprawling parks like those in Harder’s Barrhaven ward, she said, but there is space for neighbourhood-scale amenities and the city should have specific policies for providing them.

The study would also look at how well the city’s more mundane infrastructure, like its sewer and water pipes, can handle more development. One premise supporting downtown intensification is that the city doesn’t have to lay new pipes and roads for it, but the pipes can’t accommodate new condo towers indefinitely.

As for 346 Gloucester, the planning committee voted for the tower despite confusion over whether it’s subject to the new development-charge regime. The builder, Richcraft, argues it only would be if the revised plan included more units than had already been approved. The committee asked the city’s legal department to provide an opinion before full city council takes the plans up on Nov. 9.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.comottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I think it is reasonable to worry that an increase in population might strain some city services, but the only example she gives is playgrounds - right after complaining there weren't enough children moving into the new condos.
The sense I get about Councillor Holmes is that she is only happy when she is whining/whinging/complaining about some perceived injustice to her beloved Ward.

City Staff members I know roll their eyes often when her name is mentioned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues