HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
CastleScott I am ecstatic at that news! I’m j wondering have you heard anything else about future destinations or airliners coming to SMF or have you heard of any expansion plans for the runway, I feel like 8600 feet is too short for a 747, regardless if it’s a cargo or passenger plane.
Ahh thanks bro!! I've heard that the county has looked into adding an additional 3400 to that existing 8600 ft runway making it a full 12000 feet but
they're waiting to see whats in the Federal infrastructure Bill that's yet to be
dealt with by congress and Trump but runway enhancements are in a future plan. Kinda a side note it seems that some large air cargo jets get diverted to Mather since there's a 14000 ft runway there-I TDYed to Mather from Denver's Air Force Finance Center (DFAS-DE) back in the mid 90's when I was in the reserves. The Vancouver flights were popular for folks going on Alaska cruises and I was a bit surprised when they were stopped (I think it was just the aging jetways on A Terminal and the time it took to repair them-Jet Blue moved to B because of a jetway problem).

Might be a long shot but I've also heard that KLM might be adding another US destination (Salt Lake has KLM-winter sports-summer tourist traffic there which could happen here as well with Tahoe close).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Ahh thanks bro!! I've heard that the county has looked into adding an additional 3400 to that existing 8600 ft runway making it a full 12000 feet but
they're waiting to see whats in the Federal infrastructure Bill that's yet to be
dealt with by congress and Trump but runway enhancements are in a future plan. Kinda a side note it seems that some large air cargo jets get diverted to Mather since there's a 14000 ft runway there-I TDYed to Mather from Denver's Air Force Finance Center (DFAS-DE) back in the mid 90's when I was in the reserves. The Vancouver flights were popular for folks going on Alaska cruises and I was a bit surprised when they were stopped (I think it was just the aging jetways on A Terminal and the time it took to repair them-Jet Blue moved to B because of a jetway problem).

Might be a long shot but I've also heard that KLM might be adding another US destination (Salt Lake has KLM-winter sports-summer tourist traffic there which could happen here as well with Tahoe close).
CastleScott yeah I remember asking SMF and contacting them and Laurie said that any runway expansion is in the long term due to FAA approval and cost but SMF won’t be able to really get any international flights in Europe or Asia without a longer runway, so I hope they can get that started in the near term.

KLM possibly coming to SMF is a big deal but that depends on passenger number, which are increasing, and also cost per enplanement, which is going down.

Is there any other news about Destinations and Airlines you can give out Scott? I posted in Nomember that I would love to see Southwest bring flights to Hawaii because we are one of their focus cities and they said they would offer flights out of the focus cities. I would love to see Delta offer flights to Detroit for Business and Raleigh for Government/Business use. Also, I was wondering if Frontier or Allegiant have thought of coming to SMF due to improvements to the economy and airport itself.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:49 AM

^ Southwest to Hawaii could happen sometime in the future-I've heard that Southwest is going to offer some Texas cities service sometime and possibly Minneapolis/St Paul and Chicago Midway-an odd one was awhile back SW was going to offer one that would start in Sac have a stop in Dallas with a final destination of Havana Cuba. Sometime back rumor was that Southwest would buy out both Jet Blue and Frontier and fly to Canadian cities, Mexican Cities, Costa Rica and even Panama. Frontier I've heard maybe back but there's not time frame as to when.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
CastleScott I am ecstatic at that news! I’m j wondering have you heard anything else about future destinations or airliners coming to SMF or have you heard of any expansion plans for the runway, I feel like 8600 feet is too short for a 747, regardless if it’s a cargo or passenger plane.
A carrier wouldn’t use a 747 to serve Sacramento. For any potential trans-Atlantic or Pacific routes, carriers would use a 787, A350, or the 777 or A330.

The last 747 used by a domestic U.S. carrier was recently retired.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:47 PM

Quote:

KLM to Salt Lake City makes sense because of the connecting traffic via Delta’s hub.

As of a couple of years ago, Portland was the smallest market to offer nonstop service to both Asia and Europe. Like Sacramento, Portland is almost entirely origin and destination traffic, with minimal connecting passengers.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:54 PM

^ I know Denver's been trying to bag KLM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:37 PM

Since I worked sometime back as a transit consultant in metro Denver when they just started building their transit system-I strongly believe that RT should run the airport light rail along the east side of I-5 from downtown and the Amtrak station. For one the Truxel route would have too many stops translating into a slow painful ride for folks who just got off a plane and want to get downtown to a hotel room fast. The I-5 route could have just one stop at Del Paso Rd near where hotels are plus special cars that can run up to 70 mph with luggage racks should be bought. I also just want to share that Denver's airport line from downtown to DIA is actually electric commuter rail that runs at 79 mph in lots of spots as its almost a 25 mile ride from downtown to the airport-maybe some of you rode this if you've visited Denver recently-they opened it in April 2016 (I haven't ridden it because I haven't been back to visit family since I relocated here in early 2015).

Last edited by CastleScott; Jan 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
^ Southwest to Hawaii could happen sometime in the future-I've heard that Southwest is going to offer some Texas cities service sometime and possibly Minneapolis/St Paul and Chicago Midway-an odd one was awhile back SW was going to offer one that would start in Sac have a stop in Dallas with a final destination of Havana Cuba. Sometime back rumor was that Southwest would buy out both Jet Blue and Frontier and fly to Canadian cities, Mexican Cities, Costa Rica and even Panama. Frontier I've heard maybe back but there's not time frame as to when.
Would totally love to see Frontier Airlines come back to SMF!! I was bummed when they left

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:33 PM

Looks like a great year for SMF!! 10.9 million passengers last year, breaking a 2007 record! Totally awesome!! New upcoming service from Southwest Airlines, and the return of Air Canada is great!! Now the airport is talking to European low cost carriers about bringing new nonstop here? That would be great! Any thoughts? Rants? Comments?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:27 PM

^ We should have a low cost carrier or two to Europe since we're California's capitol-I wonder if the runways are long enough for 777's and 787 Dreamliners? I think even British Air would work here..

Btw we should have a flight or two to Asia as well lets give SFO some competition.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 8:44 PM

Another thing that SMF could do is install a USO for men and women of our armed services-it would be awesome to have a nice place to have a sandwich, watch a big-screen TV and a place to kick back and even take a nap.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:27 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
^ We should have a low cost carrier or two to Europe since we're California's capitol-I wonder if the runways are long enough for 777's and 787 Dreamliners? I think even British Air would work here..

Btw we should have a flight or two to Asia as well lets give SFO some competition.
Both could take off just fine.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:53 AM

I’m going try to pick activity up on this sub forum so I’m gonna start talking more often.

For anyone seeing this comment does anyone have any news on new airline destinations or expansions? The new financial incentive package was signed a few months ago and we still haven’t had any news on new destinations. I know the competition is hot for destinations like our competition with SJC and that it takes a long time to add destinations but the purpose of the deal was to add more flights and routes, correct? If that’s the case the deal seems to have not been as successful as the airport had thought.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
I’m going try to pick activity up on this sub forum so I’m gonna start talking more often.

For anyone seeing this comment does anyone have any news on new airline destinations or expansions? The new financial incentive package was signed a few months ago and we still haven’t had any news on new destinations. I know the competition is hot for destinations like our competition with SJC and that it takes a long time to add destinations but the purpose of the deal was to add more flights and routes, correct? If that’s the case the deal seems to have not been as successful as the airport had thought.
I mean, Air Canada is coming back in May to offer nonstop service to Vancouver. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I think Southwest might have a couple new routes planned as well.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:18 AM

Why is it so much cheaper to fly out of Oakland, San Jose, and SF to the same cities then out of SMF.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
Why is it so much cheaper to fly out of Oakland, San Jose, and SF to the same cities then out of SMF.
You just answered your question-- you have three (four if you count Sonoma Co.) airports in the Bay Area. There is more competition there.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:50 PM

landing fees are much more expensinve in SMF.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:23 PM

I wonder what percentage of people from Sacramento fly out of the bay area compared to here. I have prolly flown out SF airport more times than from Sacramento due to the price difference.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
landing fees are much more expensinve in SMF.
Are those landing fees set to go down in the future once the expansion projects are paid for?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:49 PM

termical C will be built, then landing fees will even be more expensive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area