HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

I was told by someone close to this project that the hotel is put on hold.....for now. With this said, I was told the developers are moving forward with a secondary building. From what I understood, its not the anchor building on the corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main but the building directly to the south of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
Any word on when construction will begin for the new Hilton off of Vaughn Harvey, I would guess Spring but was wondering if anyone has heard of a more concrete starting date?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
I was told by someone close to this project that the hotel is put on hold.....for now. With this said, I was told the developers are moving forward with a secondary building. From what I understood, its not the anchor building on the corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main but the building directly to the south of it.
I wouldn't at all be surprised by this. They had stated last year in the Fall that land prep was going to begin in 2017 in anticipation for a Spring building start. They put up a wooden frame for a sign for the announcement and then nothing seemed to transpire. May be quiet for construction downtown this year.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
I haven't heard this, but it is possible. If true, perhaps news of the Hyatt gave them some cold feet. This could also be an issue for the possible Double Tree as well (although I have always been dubious about that particular proposal).

We'll see. In the meantime, I will continue with the assumption that the Hilton is still a go. If not, a 1-2 year wait wouldn't be the end of the world.......

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, this is interesting:

This webpage (associated with Home2Suites by Hilton) lists 51 upcoming hotel projects in North America (including one in Montreal), but there is no mention of the hotel in Moncton.

http://home2suites3.hilton.com/en/ab...ng-hotels.html

As such, tmacdougall may be absolutely correct. Perhaps the Moncton location has been put on hold........

And FWIW, DoubleTree is also a Hilton brand, and their site lists 21 upcoming hotel projects around the world, again with no mention of Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, this is interesting:

This webpage (associated with Home2Suites by Hilton) lists 51 upcoming hotel projects in North America (including one in Montreal), but there is no mention of the hotel in Moncton.

http://home2suites3.hilton.com/en/ab...ng-hotels.html

As such, tmacdougall may be absolutely correct. Perhaps the Moncton location has been put on hold........

And FWIW, DoubleTree is also a Hilton brand, and their site lists 21 upcoming hotel projects around the world, again with no mention of Moncton.

One thing though is that the opening dates for all the Hilton’s are for 2018, last one is October 2018... so that only shows current constructions, not planned or 2019 openings.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 9:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
One thing though is that the opening dates for all the Hilton’s are for 2018, last one is October 2018... so that only shows current constructions, not planned or 2019 openings.
Good point. The newest hotel on that list for Home2Suites had an opening date of February 2019. If they started construction of a Moncton hotel in April, the earliest it could open would likely be September/October 2019. This could explain it's absence.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 12, 2018 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 11:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
There is a proposal before Moncton PAC to allow "temporary offsite parking" until June 30th on the vacant lot on the NW corner of St. George St & Cameron, where Wesley United Church used to be. This proposal is being made by Killam Properties.

#1 - Since when has this land belonged to Killam Properties?
#2 - Why is this petition only until June 30th? Is there something planned after this date???
Mystery solved.

Oulton College has opened a new campus downtown for their business programs, and the students were using this lot "unofficially" to park their cars. This application was to allow the students to continue to use this lot until the end of the academic year. There is no intent to make this a permanent parking lot, hence the reason why the application is only until June 30th.

Apparently there are people on the PAC who took umbrage to this application, but the students are adamant that there is nowhere else to park. The application is to be re-examined.

And people say there is no parking problem in the core........

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:23 PM

We all know what hte long term solutions to the parking issue is. And I've outlined what downtown parking (and parking in general) should be previously, so I won't reiterate much.

But it seems to me that there is a relatively simple solution the city can do that won't make many lot owners happy, but would probably make visitors and other downtown folk happier.

Pass a bylaw that says parking lots with non-public parking must be gated.

That way, you can only get in there in the first place if you have the right card to get in. And if the lot owner wants to open it up out of hours, they just have to program the gates to be lifted.

Of course, that means lot owners would need to invest a few bucks into their lots. And it would pretty much kill the Booters since their boot-prey would all but disappear.

But for everyone else, if they can find an entrance to a lot, then they know they can park there. They may still have to pay for it, but at least they wouldn't be booted for parking someplace that is wide open and only has a few scattered signs saying "Parking for permit holders only".

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Requoted for absolute truth!!!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 1:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently T-Bones Steakhouse at the Crowne Plaza Hotel is expanding and will now have a street front presence.

I'm sure this expansion is related to the new downtown events centre across the street.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:53 PM

Question

Quote:
Mystery solved.

Oulton College has opened a new campus downtown for their business programs, and the students were using this lot "unofficially" to park their cars. This application was to allow the students to continue to use this lot until the end of the academic year. There is no intent to make this a permanent parking lot, hence the reason why the application is only until June 30th.

Apparently there are people on the PAC who took umbrage to this application, but the students are adamant that there is nowhere else to park. The application is to be re-examined.

And people say there is no parking problem in the core........
There is ample parking just a block away, on Gordon Street near the intersection with High Street, at less than $2.50 per day. What the students meant was that they have no other FREE parking options. I'm sure they chose their words very carefully lol.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nova Scotia Company Opening Axe-Throwing Facility in Moncton
http://huddle.today/halimac-opening-...ty-in-moncton/

The location has yet to be decided, but will definitely be in the downtown core. They hope to be open by the end of summer.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good article in Huddle about Classic Burgers, soon to open in the old Woody's BBQ spot in the Landing at the Bend:

http://huddle.today/moncton-entrepre...-by-the-river/

Quote:
Classic Burger can seat 130 people indoors, including an enclosed sports lounge with seating for 40 people. With Wilson being a big Maple Leafs fan, Classic Burger has partnered with the Labatt Brewing Company to host sporting events.

In the summer, it will have a patio that can seat 30 people beside the boardwalk overlooking the Petitcodiac River. It will also have a back-window to serve as an ice cream stand “right on the boardwalk,” Azevedo said.
I think the outdoor patio overlooking the boardwalk & the river is a great idea. An ice cream stand should be hugely popular as well. The boardwalk is nice, but has long been missing amenities like this!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
We all know what hte long term solutions to the parking issue is. And I've outlined what downtown parking (and parking in general) should be previously, so I won't reiterate much.

But it seems to me that there is a relatively simple solution the city can do that won't make many lot owners happy, but would probably make visitors and other downtown folk happier.

That way, you can only get in there in the first place if you have the right card to get in. And if the lot owner wants to open it up out of hours, they just have to program the gates to be lifted.

Of course, that means lot owners would need to invest a few bucks into their lots. And it would pretty much kill the Booters since their boot-prey would all but disappear.

But for everyone else, if they can find an entrance to a lot, then they know they can park there. They may still have to pay for it, but at least they wouldn't be booted for parking someplace that is wide open and only has a few scattered signs saying "Parking for permit holders only".
I had mentioned in another post that we rent out 22 of our parking spaces on a monthly basis to people who work downtown. They have 24/7 access to their spots. It's funny in a way that you should mention gating as we have budgeted this spring/summer for an electronic gating system for our lot with pass card access. Right now we have to station people at the entrance during city summer events as people want to park in the lot even though we have enormous signs stating "Private Parking, etc etc". We figured we better do this now before the event centre opens. It is costing us an arm and a leg but has to be done. And, no, we do not use the notorious booters, never have, never will.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 5:37 AM

The owners of the Crowne Plaza are already ahead of the curve As of summer 2015 (That I can tell they have had black fencing added to surround the old Parking Garage location, and also the old Acadian Lines parking, and have added this to there count of parking spaces for there hotel Guest to keep there count up from what I heard The money is a hard pill to swallow but it was nesesary to go this route for them.Must be the same for you guys flyer99 hence why the preplanning to install fencing, and a gate. The only thing I will say that might put off lot owners is like what happen a few times to the lot next to Moncton Fish Market. The Entrance is on St George, and the Exit on Lutz both gates had actually been smashed a few times. That might be what is putting off property owners from fencing there lots, and putting up a gate less the enitial cost, and more of a reocuring one.

On an unrelated note I guess Canada post is consolidating properties http://cwatlantic.com/properties/281-st-george-street/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 10:27 AM

I used to work at a place with a gated parking lot and there would be a trail of busted gates between the bar zone and our parking lot about twice a week. The cost of the vandalism was tremendous.
In later years this phenomenon abated somewhat. Not sure if they started buying gates that were immune to drunken vandals or f the vandals got tired of smashing the same gates night after night.
I'm all for a gating bylaw but anyone considering a gate better do their homework very well on which type of gates are idiot=resistant.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 9:54 PM

New Junction urban village promotional video https://vimeo.com/261842962

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 10:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And here is the latest marketing package from Cushman Wakefield regarding Tannery Place:

http://cwatlantic.com/wp-content/upl...yer-2018-1.pdf

Notes:

1) - It's quite interesting that the building is now referred to as Tannery Place South rather than simply as Tannery Place. If you pay close attention to the image below, it appears to show two side by side identical buildings. Could the second building be an identical future Tannery Place North???

2) - The new rendering seems to confirm speculation on our forum that the Tannery Place project will be six stories rather than four storeys as originally depicted. This speculation was based on the number of announced residential units in the building, and the fact that the planned Home2Suites is also to be six stories.

3) - The marketing package says that Tannery Place South will be open by fall 2019 (implying an imminent construction date). Meanwhile, the Home2Suites is now referred to as "coming soon". This would tend to confirm recent rumours on our forum that the Home2Suites project has been delayed (perhaps in favour of Tannery Place South).

So, in summary, it would appear that there are three six storey buildings now planned for the Junction Urban Village. Tannery Place South (opening in 2019), Home2Suites (perhaps opening in 2020) and very likely a Tannery Place North opening at some indeterminate time in the future. The future of the fourth (commercial) building at the corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main is uncertain at this time.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:

And here is the latest marketing package from Cushman Wakefield regarding Tannery Place:

http://cwatlantic.com/wp-content/upl...yer-2018-1.pdf

Notes:

1) - It's quite interesting that the building is now referred to as Tannery Place South rather than simply as Tannery Place. If you pay close attention to the image below, it appears to show two side by side identical buildings. Could the second building be an identical future Tannery Place North???

2) - The new rendering seems to confirm speculation on our forum that the Tannery Place project will be six stories rather than four storeys as originally depicted. This speculation was based on the number of announced residential units in the building, and the fact that the planned Home2Suites is also to be six stories.

3) - The marketing package says that Tannery Place South will be open by fall 2019 (implying an imminent construction date). Meanwhile, the Home2Suites is now referred to as "coming soon". This would tend to confirm recent rumours on our forum that the Home2Suites project has been delayed (perhaps in favour of Tannery Place South).

So, in summary, it would appear that there are three six storey buildings now planned for the Junction Urban Village. Tannery Place South (opening in 2019), Home2Suites (perhaps opening in 2020) and very likely a Tannery Place North opening at some indeterminate time in the future. The future of the fourth (commercial) building at the corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main is uncertain at this time.
If we go on your presumption of dates I would guess
Tannery Place South (opening in 2019),
Home2Suites (perhaps opening in 2020)
Tannery Place North (Perhaps Opening in 2021)

Either that, or they will continue to push back the dates untill people no longer pay attention, and just never finist the Tannery Place Project.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:

A bit underwhelming design, but at least they went with 6 storeys. A bare minimum, I think, for such a prominent location on Vaughn Harvey. I still have mixed feelings about the whole Junction development. It's technically downtown but surrounded by acres of private surface parking, compounding the current parking issues. The exact same building on the West side of a completed Downing street would contribute much more to the urban fabric of the core and might help reach the critical mass of density needed for the construction of large, shared parking structures south of Assomption Place. Hopefully the proposed RCMP building will help fill that space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces