HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:47 PM

these are or were pretty popular a couple seasons ago - mcm backpacks - they start around $800 for a basic and go up to $5000

you see lots of them here in Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:51 PM

thom browne is pretty popular these days in Vancouver, Koreans love the brand - these basic white shirts run around $500

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:00 PM

Louboutin shoes are pretty popular right now in Vancouver - if you go to the holt renfrew shoe section on a saturday it is packed with shoe shoppers pretty much all asians, koreans and chinese

these spring 2017 Louboutin shoes are just over $1200 Cdn

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:06 PM
BANNED

I could never work high end retail. I'd be fired for laughing every time I sold something!

"You what? You'll take 3?? Buahahahahahaha!!"

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
I could never work high end retail. I'd be fired for laughing every time I sold something!

"You what? You'll take 3?? Buahahahahahaha!!"
Agreed! I hate high end retail it's such a friggin joke, it's disgusting. I remember seeing a $26,000 hand bag at Nordstrom and thinking what a waste, I couldn't help think couldn't you buy a nice handbag for 5 grand and donate the rest?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:27 AM

Adidas Launching Unique-to-Canada Store Expansion
March 13, 2017

German athletic and fashion brand Adidas is launching a uniquely Canadian store expansion that will include new ‘experiential’ locations, renovated and repositioned existing stores, as well as a new focus on hockey-related uniforms and team gear in selected locations. Adidas has partnered with the National Hockey League (NHL) for a period of seven years and beginning with the 2017-18 season, Adidas will become the official outfitter of the NHL’s on-ice uniforms, as well as the official supplier of licensed apparel and headwear.

John Summers, Vice President of 'direct to consumer’ for Adidas Canada, explained that Adidas has three types of stores in Canada — 'sport performance' branded stores, outlets, and fashion stores. The company’s outlet stores have seen tremendous growth over the past several years, prompting the company to further expand and refocus its sport performance-branded stores in Canada’s largest cities, as well as its fashion stores which operate under the Adidas Originals nameplate.

The company’s sport performance-branded stores are located in Toronto (10 Dundas St. East), Vancouver (860 Granville Street, currently focused on running) and in Oshawa ON (at Oshawa Centre, which opened in October of 2016). Mr. Summers explained that the company’s sport performance stores will see a new focus geared towards hockey, with a considerable amount of product catering to both on and off-ice training, coming into stores this summer. Adidas’ Canadian operations will continue to see a considerable focus on hockey as part of its ongoing NHL partnership.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail.../2017/3/adidas

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:29 AM

Yonge Street Hard Rock Cafe to be Replaced with Flagship Shoppers Drug Mart
March 13, 2017

The iconic Hard Rock Cafe at 279 Yonge Street in downtown Toronto has been leased to Shoppers Drug Mart, according to sources. It’s the first time in over 35 years that the retail space has been available for lease.

The 22,000 square foot multi-level retail space has considerable exposure on busy Yonge-Dundas Square, which many consider to be Toronto’s answer to New York City’s Times Square. According to CBRE marketing materials, the site offers exposure to over 60 million potential customers, annually.

A source says that the landlord wished to lease the space to one large tenant, hence why it chose Shoppers Drug Mart rather than divide the space for multiple smaller tenants. Hard Rock Cafe is said to be looking for a new space in Toronto’s core, which has been met with some challenges.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...ard-rock-yonge

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:36 AM

DXL Men's Apparel Expands Into Canada, Opens Its First Canadian Store In Ajax, Ontario

One-Stop Shop Featuring Quality Clothing for Men Who Wear XL Sizes is NOW in Canada

CANTON, Mass., March 13, 2017 /CNW/ -- Destination XL Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: DXLG), the leading retailer of men's XL apparel, has crossed the border into Canada and opened a new DXL store in Ajax, ONT, located at 20 Kingston Road West in Harwood Centre. This is the first DXL Men's Apparel store to open in Canada, and a second will be opening soon in Mississauga, ONT. The DXL® store is a one-stop shop that caters to the clothing needs and lifestyles of men who wear waist size 38"+ and size XL and up.

DXL Men's Apparel stores are no strangers to Canadian customers. Canadians have been traveling down to upstate New York, Washington, and Michigan to shop for brands in their sizes. The willingness to travel such a distance to shop a DXL Men's Apparel store indicated the need to expand the brand into this market.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...616028074.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:20 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Yonge Street Hard Rock Cafe to be Replaced with Flagship Shoppers Drug Mart
March 13, 2017

The iconic Hard Rock Cafe at 279 Yonge Street in downtown Toronto has been leased to Shoppers Drug Mart, according to sources. It’s the first time in over 35 years that the retail space has been available for lease.

The 22,000 square foot multi-level retail space has considerable exposure on busy Yonge-Dundas Square, which many consider to be Toronto’s answer to New York City’s Times Square. According to CBRE marketing materials, the site offers exposure to over 60 million potential customers, annually.

A source says that the landlord wished to lease the space to one large tenant, hence why it chose Shoppers Drug Mart rather than divide the space for multiple smaller tenants. Hard Rock Cafe is said to be looking for a new space in Toronto’s core, which has been met with some challenges.

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...ard-rock-yonge
Sad day for Dundas Square.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Sad day for Dundas Square.
FYI in the Ottawa forum it's a meme that Shoppers Drug Mart has plans to take over the world, as every time you look there is a new location opening somewhere.

They may be right after all...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
FYI in the Ottawa forum it's a meme that Shoppers Drug Mart has plans to take over the world, as every time you look there is a new location opening somewhere.

They may be right after all...
To be fair, there has long been a widely recognized need for a Shoppers Drug Mart flagship store. The place to pick up your flagship prescription meds, assorted flagship health and beauty aids, and flagship pathetic supermarket offerings, often at attractive price points. Not being able to swing a cat without hitting a Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't address the consumption void that only a "flagship" can satisfy. I imagine that their "Revitive Circulation Booster" display will be cutting edge.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Mar 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:52 PM
sick transit, gloria

Rexall seems to be picking up leases in high-rent historic buildings in Toronto as well. Maybe we have an all out drugstore war on our hands!

Seriously though, Hardrock Cafe is a terrible, cheesy chain that's only a step above Applebey's but I can't fathom how this is the choice. The location does have a lot of legit Toronto music history too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
To be fair, there has long been a widely recognized need for a Shoppers Drug Mart flagship store. The place to pick up your flagship prescription meds, assorted flagship health and beauty aids, and flagship pathetic supermarket offerings, often at attractive price points. Not being able to swing a cat without hitting a Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't address the consumption void that only a "flagship" can satisfy. I imagine that their "Revitive Circulation Booster" display will be cutting edge.
You're being sarcastic, right? There is already a Shoppers at Yonge-Dundas, though not in as prime a location as the Hard Rock spot.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 1:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Rexall seems to be picking up leases in high-rent historic buildings in Toronto as well. Maybe we have an all out drugstore war on our hands!

Seriously though, Hardrock Cafe is a terrible, cheesy chain that's only a step above Applebey's but I can't fathom how this is the choice. The location does have a lot of legit Toronto music history too.
Hard Rock has greatly reduced their imprint after growing really big at one point.

I mean, Ottawa at one point had two Hard Rock Cafés. Nothing against Ottawa, but still...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:08 PM

Hard Rock Cafés remind me of 1990.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:11 PM

Further proof that Canada is 5-10 years behind the US in all things.

New Yorkers complained in the mid-2000s about how Duane Reade was spreading like a virus. At the same time, CVS and Walgreens were expanding like mad.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hard Rock Cafés remind me of 1990.
In my youth (which was around those years) we always used to go to the one in Toronto at Yonge and Dundas.

When I showed foreigners around Toronto we'd always make a stop there too.

Thinking back it wasn't really that great a place, but that's true of a lot of allegedly "famous" stuff, isn't it?

Though the Sam the Record Man sign on Yonge at night really was the real deal!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Flagship toothpaste whitens 50% more! Flagship Depends are 60% more absorbent!

It appears that Captains of Industry really do exist.

Yaaaaaaar!
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:41 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Though the Sam the Record Man sign on Yonge at night really was the real deal!

The Sam the record Man sign is returning to the square this summer as part of the deal with Ryerson when they built the new student centre. Will be on top of one of their buildings at the NE corner of the square.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...is-summer.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The Sam the record Man sign is returning to the square this summer as part of the deal with Ryerson when they built the new student centre. Will be on top of one of their buildings at the NE corner of the square.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...is-summer.html
How exciting! Should I give Forlorn Square another go? Maybe pick up some some Flagship toilet paper while I'm at it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada