HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:20 PM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
This may be a dumb question but how in the hell do you work this thing dude ,lol ? I am lost on that link.
Firstly, you'll need to set your selection area. You can do this automatically by searching for predefined geographical areas. Typically, it is best to select counties since this data factors into MSA methods. Then, you need to perform an analysis on that selected area. When you're fine-tuning your analysis parameters, you need to make sure you select the correct items and methodologies. It is obviously a little complicated.

I know this probably won't help much, but once you play with it and start performing reports, you'll get used to it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
http://onthemap.ces.census.gov/

Do you have the actual guidelines handy?
Not handy, but I'll see if I can find them sometime soon.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:58 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Firstly, you'll need to set your selection area. You can do this automatically by searching for predefined geographical areas. Typically, it is best to select counties since this data factors into MSA methods. Then, you need to perform an analysis on that selected area. When you're fine-tuning your analysis parameters, you need to make sure you select the correct items and methodologies. It is obviously a little complicated.

I know this probably won't help much, but once you play with it and start performing reports, you'll get used to it.
Ok Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 7:59 AM

Well, the revisions for the MSA delineations are coming up in 2018. That is when they can add or take away counties from metro areas before 2023. It would be neat to have Coastal Alabama in one metro again. I know everyone down here considers us one metro, but it would be nice to see it reflected in the Fed's statistics.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
Well, the revisions for the MSA delineations are coming up in 2018. That is when they can add or take away counties from metro areas before 2023. It would be neat to have Coastal Alabama in one metro again. I know everyone down here considers us one metro, but it would be nice to see it reflected in the Fed's statistics.
In this train of thought, based on current 5 year patterns, the following will be apparent in 2018. The 5 year averages will be as follows:
Mobile - 76.52% (Mobile)
Baldwin - 26.92% (Mobile)
Washington - 59.05% (Mobile)
Clarke - 21.40% (Mobile, Baldwin, Washington)
Monroe - 19.72% (Mobile, Baldwin)
Escambia (AL) - 21.80% (Mobile, Baldwin)
Conecuh - 12.77% (Mobile, Baldwin)

Taking into account the "new MSA" noted above the following should, based on current trends, be the MSA in 2018:
Mobile, Baldwin, Washington - population 701,210

The "new CSA".
Mobile, Baldwin, Washington, Clarke, Monroe, Escambia - population 778,633

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 12:45 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
In this train of thought, based on current 5 year patterns, the following will be apparent in 2018. The 5 year averages will be as follows:
Mobile - 76.52% (Mobile)
Baldwin - 26.92% (Mobile)
Washington - 59.05% (Mobile)
Clarke - 21.40% (Mobile, Baldwin, Washington)
Monroe - 19.72% (Mobile, Baldwin)
Escambia (AL) - 21.80% (Mobile, Baldwin)
Conecuh - 12.77% (Mobile, Baldwin)

Taking into account the "new MSA" noted above the following should, based on current trends, be the MSA in 2018:
Mobile, Baldwin, Washington - population 701,210

The "new CSA".
Mobile, Baldwin, Washington, Clarke, Monroe, Escambia - population 778,633

Wow ! We will be knocking on 800k by 2018. Is it me and maybe it's just me but do you guys see just as many Jackson County , Ms tags in the city as Baldwin ? Maybe im tripping but damn I can not turn a corner before seeing a Mississippi tag. Are we being cheated or what ?! I know the fed guidlines don't show but my eyes see different.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 4:53 AM

Quote:
I don't have much info as right now.
Is there anything more you know? How did you find out? I looked up all the properties along Water and none came up as recently sold. Last one was in 2011

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 10:45 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapitalbama View Post
Is there anything more you know? How did you find out? I looked up all the properties along Water and none came up as recently sold. Last one was in 2011
Oh Southsky mentioned it on post 6076 that's all that I know of it. It maybe in the negotiation phase I assume.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 2:29 PM

I believe it is actually commuting into core counties and not any county in the MSA. Some MSAs have more than one core county. Birmingham has 2.... Jefferson and Shelby. Atlanta has 7 to 10 core counties. If Baldwin and Washington are added to Mobile, I think Mobile will only be the core county. Could be wrong........but I think that is how it works with the Office of Budget and Management rules. Remember, they go by the commuting figures of the American Community Survey no census estimates. Would like to note that Census numbers are based on the American Community Survey though, but they could still be different.

So Mobile's MSA population would be in the mid-600,000s if the revisited it in 2018.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
I believe it is actually commuting into core counties and not any county in the MSA. Some MSAs have more than one core county. Birmingham has 2.... Jefferson and Shelby. Atlanta has 7 to 10 core counties. If Baldwin and Washington are added to Mobile, I think Mobile will only be the core county. Could be wrong........but I think that is how it works with the Office of Budget and Management rules. Remember, they go by the commuting figures of the American Community Survey no census estimates. Would like to note that Census numbers are based on the American Community Survey though, but they could still be different.

So Mobile's MSA population would be in the mid-600,000s if the revisited it in 2018.
I believe Baldwin is a core county now, since it technically now has its own MSA.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 5:22 PM

Marine St. Lofts pre-leasing top floors

Article about the building formerly known as 951 Government Street.

http://lagniappemobile.com/marine-st...ng-top-floors/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 5:40 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Masonic Temple apartments

A local group purchased the Egyptian Revival Masonic Lodge on St.Francis downtown. The building will be converted into 16 residential apartments with retail on bottom floor. The plan will have covered parking the lot across the street will be apart of the property. I hope the covered parking design compliments the Egyptian Revival design of the building.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
A local group purchased the Egyptian Revival Masonic Lodge on St.Francis downtown. The building will be converted into 16 residential apartments with retail on bottom floor. The plan will have covered parking the lot across the street will be apart of the property. I hope the covered parking design compliments the Egyptian Revival design of the building.
POB, it is not going to be this building. It will be the 3 story building at the corner of St Francis and Warren Streets.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 8:17 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
POB, it is not going to be this building. It will be the 3 story building at the corner of St Francis and Warren Streets.
Wow as far as I know that"s not a masonic lodge. Where the hell did Al.com get Masonic Lodge from smh.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2015, 8:22 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:

Well sense it's based on a community survey then I know for a fact that the residents in Jackson County Mississippi are not being honest or not filling that part out at all. I still find it hard to beileve that they do not atleast make up a CSA percentage.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Wow as far as I know that"s not a masonic lodge. Where the hell did Al.com get Masonic Lodge from smh.
Both are masonic

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 10:24 PM

Admiral to join "Curio" collection

Never heard of the Curio collection, but the bakery and restaurant sound terrific. Had not heard this news but possibly the rest of y'all have

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...lio-2015-08-19

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:17 PM

Mardi Gras Park/Market Pavilion

Winning bids for this project were given yesterday. I spoke to one of the contractors who works with the winning bidder. It'll be a two-phase project. Phase one will include diagonal-cut parking on the perimeter at Royal Street, a circular drive and drop off area off Government, granite curbs, and drainage. There is some excavation of the basement left over from the courthouse to be done close to Royal Street as well. This phase is scheduled to begin on October 19th. The second phase will include construction of the Pavilion itself on Royal Street, and will begin upon completion of the first phase. Fountains, statues, etc. will be added on an ongoing basis. The first two phases are on a 200 day timeline. My understanding is that the start date in October is fairly firm as there is some BP money involved and they have to be underway by then in order to secure it. Thought y'all would like to know.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:35 PM

Here are the plans for those who haven't seen them yet.

They are contained in this story from al.com: http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index....air_marke.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara727 View Post
Winning bids for this project were given yesterday. I spoke to one of the contractors who works with the winning bidder. It'll be a two-phase project. Phase one will include diagonal-cut parking on the perimeter at Royal Street, a circular drive and drop off area off Government, granite curbs, and drainage. There is some excavation of the basement left over from the courthouse to be done close to Royal Street as well. This phase is scheduled to begin on October 19th. The second phase will include construction of the Pavilion itself on Royal Street, and will begin upon completion of the first phase. Fountains, statues, etc. will be added on an ongoing basis. The first two phases are on a 200 day timeline. My understanding is that the start date in October is fairly firm as there is some BP money involved and they have to be underway by then in order to secure it. Thought y'all would like to know.
I'm glad to hear this is on an accelerated timetable. Thank you for the info!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast