HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 10:37 PM

I thought there was suppose to be a residential component to the North of Dartmouth Crossing?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I thought there was suppose to be a residential component to the North of Dartmouth Crossing?
There is. I think HRM based the maps on the existing MPS and land zoning. DC is still in the process of getting residential approved for the area. I think there was a public meeting recently on the matter.

No matter what goes up in the north area it'll be a couple of years i imagine before its built. They still have the village office building, Costco, gas bar area, south of Costco and the office complex area off of Commodore Drive up by Frenchman's Lake to build first.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 1:39 AM

I found a more detailed map for Burnside Phase 12 HERE.

This one shows that the Dartmouth Crossing Lands aren't specifically labelled as commercial. It also shows the new "Atlantic Logistics Park" in detail.

Anybody find it amusing that Burnside is soo big we had to split it into three/four "areas" (Burnside, City of Lakes, DC, Logistics Park) just so when someone says Burnside we aren't thinking of something the size of a normal town?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
No matter what goes up in the north area it'll be a couple of years i imagine before its built. They still have the village office building, Costco, gas bar area, south of Costco and the office complex area off of Commodore Drive up by Frenchman's Lake to build first.
Hey maybe it will be a Costco brand gas bar! How cool would that be, they always sell for cheap at Costco brand gas bars in the States. Only problem here is gas price regulation. Maybe they could give you a free tub of Kirkland Olive oil or something!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 6:04 PM

its an esso

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:30 PM

From the Burnside News this month;

• Dartmouth Crossing is no longer a one-company project. The development was conceived and built by North American, which has now sold 50 per cent of its stake to the Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust. The deal is believed to be worth $135 million. North American retains management of the property and will oversee future growth, including the construction of a business office campus and possible residential units

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:18 PM

Dartmouth Crossing now accessible from Wright Avenue

BURNSIDE
STEPHEN CLARE
The Burnside News

Motorists looking to explore the many new shops and services at Dartmouth Crossing now have easier access to the site, as the barricades blocking access through the Wright Avenue extension have finally been removed.

The concrete slabs, which forced drivers to double back along Highway 118 for over a year, were taken down this past December 19, just in time for last-minute holiday shopping.

Originally scheduled to open in the fall of 2007, the throughway was blocked as property owners and the City of Halifax butted heads on final details.

“The roads themselves were actually completed on time and on budget,” says Glenn Munro, managing partner for North American Development Company (NADC), which oversaw the construction of the entire area. “However, we ran into a few snags with council over some of the stuff involving water and wastewater piping. That situation has since been resolved.”

Residents and workers in Burnside welcome the news of the barriers’ removal.

“It’s about time,” says Melanie Kingsley. “Having to bypass the extension would sometimes tack on another 10 to 15 minutes of my trip there and back.”

“I haven’t even been out there yet,” says Michael Levin. “Mostly because I haven’t been able to access it from Wright Avenue.”

Along with quicker access to Dartmouth Crossing, removal of the barricades allows drivers to now connect with Shubie Street, Finlay Avenue and McLure Drive.

“This is another very important piece of the puzzle,” Munro says, “and it sets us up nicely for more development.”

As such, NADC has big plans in store for growing the site over the coming years.

“We have purposely overbuilt the roadways throughout the area in anticipation of things to come,” Munro says. “Along with the ongoing growth of the retail space – including the opening of a brand new Costco outlet this coming March – we’re in the final phases of planning the construction of 1,500 to 1,800 residential units, which we hope to see up and running by 2010.”

As well, he points out the firm is building another network of roads in and around the City of Lakes district in anticipation of future expansion.

“We’re in the initial phase of planning a living and working community called ‘The Ridge.’ More details on that project will be released in the next few months.”

Munro and his peers are also involved in the bidding process to erect a new on- site ‘four-sheet’ arena.

“There aren’t enough rinks in this part of HRM,” he says. “This will give folks from the Burnside area a chance to play hockey over the lunch hour or take their kids skating after work.”

However, not everyone is happy with the developments.

“Dartmouth Crossing is an embarrassment,” says local activist Jane McGrath. “This is another example of corporatism doing its worst to create another generation of consumers. We don’t need this big box store monstrosity here, especially when we have so many locally-owned and operated businesses that desperately need our support.”

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:46 PM

Thats nice to know. Now I don't have to loop around to the big-box district to go to the movie theatre.

Also nice to know that Costco will be open soon

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 11:40 PM

That road's been open for a couple of weeks now...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 2:32 AM

... and Commodore has been open for months, what the heck do they mean drivers were forced to double back along the 118?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
... and Commodore has been open for months, what the heck do they mean drivers were forced to double back along the 118?
I could think of only one way it might add a minute or two onto a drive but nothing dramatic. If they were coming from Wright Ave you were forced onto the 118 and then take the next exit onto Commodore.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post

“Dartmouth Crossing is an embarrassment,” says local activist Jane McGrath. “This is another example of corporatism doing its worst to create another generation of consumers. We don’t need this big box store monstrosity here, especially when we have so many locally-owned and operated businesses that desperately need our support.”

I don't know any locally-owned and operated businesses that can sell me a 50" Plasma for $999, or that would come in, invest this kind of money in development, and employ the the people that Dartmouth Crossing is employing, both in construction and in retail jobs, from front line to management.

What's an embaressment is her mentality.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:20 PM
we built this city

Yeah, didn't they preserve part of the land for a nice park with trails?

What do these people want? Zero development?

Lets see:
-No development because of "proximity" to heritage
-No development because of shrubby wooded areas
-No development because families live in the area

This all seems to equal no development. The funniest (or scariest) part about all of this is how the quality of life for residents of this city will diminish as the world globalizes, while people of emerging markets who care little about the above will prosper. Do you think China gives a fuck?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

What do these people want? Zero development?

Lets see:
-No development because of "proximity" to heritage
-No development because of shrubby wooded areas
-No development because families live in the area

This all seems to equal no development. The funniest (or scariest) part about all of this is how the quality of life for residents of this city will diminish as the world globalizes, while people of emerging markets who care little about the above will prosper. Do you think China gives a fuck?
Well, what you have to understand about these "local activist" types is that they have absolutely zero understanding of how the economy works. They want nothing to ever change except for more local businesses to come along and be successful selling locally made/grown, environmentally friendly products, as long as those businesses don't infringe upon the existing dream world in which these types live. They have no idea that in order to be able to have govt fund them and their projects (since most of them can only make a living from govt contracts and projects) we need development beyond what they like. I am not a big fan of DC by any stretch, but I do see how much it has added to the economy locally.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 5:45 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, what you have to understand about these "local activist" types is that they have absolutely zero understanding of how the economy works. They want nothing to ever change except for more local businesses to come along and be successful selling locally made/grown, environmentally friendly products, as long as those businesses don't infringe upon the existing dream world in which these types live. They have no idea that in order to be able to have govt fund them and their projects (since most of them can only make a living from govt contracts and projects) we need development beyond what they like. I am not a big fan of DC by any stretch, but I do see how much it has added to the economy locally.
You are right, they are living in a dreamland. Furthermore, how many of them are actually true "locals"... I bet alot of them come from Ontario.

I don't want to rain on their parade, but every tree (proportionally) in Nova Scotia has been cut down several times since this land was settled. Unfortunately this has resulted in the wooded areas around Halifax being sub-par. Its hard to be an activist for something that has already been changed significantly forever.

I'm not a huge fan of DC either, but I think it is a huge step up from the land use for the retail parts of Bayers Lake.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 6:37 PM

Quote:
You are right, they are living in a dreamland. Furthermore, how many of them are actually true "locals"... I bet alot of them come from Ontario.
Last time I checked, Toronto (Ontario) was a little more pro development the Nova Scotia....so don't blame upper Canada for the backwardness of certain locals

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 8:24 PM

Quote:
They did. Its a massive swath of land from the Hampton all the way into Burnside and over to the sportsfield. Heck, they even built a nice bridge and path over to Shubie Park's Trans Canada Trail system.

There is still yet to be a single park in another local power centre (Bedford Commons, BL, ect).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post
I don't know any locally-owned and operated businesses that can sell me a 50" Plasma for $999
Did you buy the same Panasonic from Future Shop at Boxing Day as I did?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 3:20 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Last time I checked, Toronto (Ontario) was a little more pro development the Nova Scotia....so don't blame upper Canada for the backwardness of certain locals
no harsh words for ontario, but we get alot of people who move out here from wherever because they want to be in a less of an urban environment. they sometimes become activists along with some confused local community folks to speak out against any and all development.

Toronto is the most pro development city in Canada, and I have lived there and probably will move there in the near future because of the opportunity that hardly exists in Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree with the activist comment. They have little or no understanding of the economy and their opinions are given too much weight in areas they aren't qualified. It's fine to ask them what they want but that then has to be put into an overall context of what is reasonable.

The sad irony is that if Halifax were a bit bigger it would be much easier to support local culture and businesses of the kind that people obsess about. Halifax is a very "top heavy" place, a weird Potemkin capital that for a variety of reasons has never really had the economic base to be what people want it to be (a kind of Boston for the Maritimes). Fighting opportunities for development certainly does not help.

I don't think it's the fault of people from Ontario. The reality is that a lot of people from Ontario are entrepreneurs or have bought and maintained valuable property in the city. The least worldly are people who move to the city from rural areas out of economic necessity and would like it to resemble CB (or whatever) as closely as possible. They want it both ways - city jobs and rural living. It doesn't work on a large scale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs