HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 12:16 AM

Toronto 2030

What will Toronto be like in 2030 overall

What will transit be like?

What major change will define the city? What will remain?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:19 AM

no one cares?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 3:55 AM

I care, I just don't have anything about the future.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo3000 View Post
I care, I just don't have anything about the future.
No problem, at least you care .

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 4:37 AM
gettin' rich!

Toronto will be over 10 million people by then.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 7:20 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

There will be alot more tall buildings...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:15 PM

I'll be 40, hard to think that far into the future LOL. Downtown Toronto will achieve the Bladerunner skyline look.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 6:36 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I predict the CN Tower will be the 3rd tallest in the skyline...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 7:52 PM

i doubt that. i can see FCP being below the top 5 though.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2011, 12:14 AM

What about Transit? Will eglinton finnaly be up and runnning?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 12:14 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
i doubt that. i can see FCP being below the top 5 though.
You're probably right, but it's just a prediction. If we're both around in 18 1/2 years we can debate it then...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:18 AM

My official list;

Tall Buildings

Toronto got it's first super tall in 2016, after it being announced in 2012. It is BAC 2, and stands in at 324m. the lead tenant is CIBC, which decided to consolidate its office's scattered across the city. FCP is the 6th tallest building in the city. toronto's tallest building is 386m. It's a Condo built in yorkville at the tail end of the cities extended condo boom, that never really ends, but rather just slowly putters down to a more regular pace of about 15,000 units yearly.

Sports

The pan-american games are (somewhat surprisingly) pulled off without a hitch, leading to a strong olympic 2024 bid. Toronto goes on to win the bid for the 2024 olympics. A new permanent stadium for 75,000 people is built in the portlands for it, and despite the NFL saying it will not put a team there after the games, toronto still gets a team in 2026. The leafs Finally win The stanley cup in 2027, but not after a massive riot akin to the vancouver riots of 2010 in 2023, which is a huge embarrassment for the city, especially 1 year before holding the olympics.

municipal borders

Some of the surrounding municipalities around the city are amalgamated, which include missisauga, vaughn, richmond hill, and markham. Pickering-whitby-ajax become one singular municipality.

Transit

Toronto finally completes the Eglington line, as a partial above ground partial below ground LRT in 2022. The DRL is constructed for the Olympic games, but is not finished until the summer after, leading to the Olympics being a disaster transit wise. In 2030 the pickering airport officially begins construction, despite heavy resistance from the locals. in some weird series of events, a couple of historic farm houses are left in the middle of the airport (in between runways) for "historic preservation". the airport will open (apparently) in 2034. The finch line is finished in 2024. Sheppard is extended as a subway, after much (much, much, much) political strife, in 2026. A high speed rail link that cruises at 265km/h is completed in 2029, running in a route of toronto-kingston-ottawa-montreal.

Politics

Mayor rob ford runs for office in 2014, but gets less than 5% of the vote, the lowest ever for a city mayor running for re-election in canada. All mayors are left wing for the next 4 terms, as too many are scared of letting in another disastrous mayor such as ford. Missisauga Mayor McCallion is re-elected in 2014, only to pass away in office in 2015. a prompt re-election is called, and a new visionary mayor is elected that turns the city away from its old suburban ways, and finally turns it into a fully fledged city. (only to have it annexed by Toronto in 2027)

The provincial government somehow manages to get away with suing the smoking industry for 50 billion dollars, (due to stress caused on healthcare) which it then uses to pay of its now 21 billion dollar debt, fund the Sheppard subway, the HSR link, and to make significant investments in the education and healthcare systems. london also happens to finally get a highway.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:34 AM

Good stuff. I like your unabashed prognostications. They're a little optimistic. This is Toronto, after all. And I think McCallion will live well into her 100s. Ford should be cleared out when his term finally blusters and wheezes to a close, but who ever thought he would get in to begin with?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Good stuff. I like your unabashed prognostications. They're a little optimistic. This is Toronto, after all. And I think McCallion will live well into her 100s. Ford should be cleared out when his term finally blusters and wheezes to a close, but who ever thought he would get in to begin with?
She's also said this is her last term in office. Maybe they will just make a younger clone of her.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:24 PM

That is a great summation of the future of Toronto by Innsertnamehere. I like your thought and agree with most of what you predict. Yes, I do imagine the NFL will eventually have a franchise in Toronto, especially if they build a new stadium. I also believe the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup again, maybe before 2027.

As regards to the skyline, it is inevitable that FCP will be surpassed in height in the not too distant future. I like your thinking that the tallest building will be a condo and not an office tower, although I wouldn't be surprised if it were over 400m in height.

I envision 2 or 3 office towers over 300m within 10-15 years, and a further 2 condos over 400m. These will certainly enhance and improve the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

As a concrete manifestation of the shift of power to the "West", CN moves its headquarters to Calgree and along with it, the CN tower. Toronto is offered (but declines) the kentucky-calgree bucket as a consolation prize.

In response, Toronto dusts off the plans for the Maryon tower.

Well into her 12th decade, Hazel McCallion announces that she will rerun for mayor of Mississauga, which has now--after merging with Brampton--displaced Montreal (and upstart Calgree) as the second largest city in Canada.

Rob Ford collapses with heart failure after running 10 paces to dodge an oncoming surface Eglington LRT. His body is pushed to the side for later collection by road work crew. The Scarsborough elevated line is finally decomissioned and moved to Thunder Bay from whence it came.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 10:26 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
As a concrete manifestation of the shift of power to the "West", CN moves its headquarters to Calgree and along with it, the CN tower. Toronto is offered (but declines) the kentucky-calgree bucket as a consolation prize.

In response, Toronto dusts off the plans for the Maryon tower.

Well into her 12th decade, Hazel McCallion announces that she will rerun for mayor of Mississauga, which has now--after merging with Brampton--displaced Montreal (and upstart Calgree) as the second largest city in Canada.

Rob Ford collapses with heart failure after running 10 paces to dodge an oncoming surface Eglington LRT. His body is pushed to the side for later collection by road work crew. The Scarsborough elevated line is finally decomissioned and moved to Thunder Bay from whence it came.
Brilliant.

But you forgot the part where London finally fulfills its fetish for stealing workers and jobs from Toronto as the banks begin to pack out.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
What will Toronto be like in 2030 overall

What will transit be like?

What major change will define the city? What will remain?
Not sure, what will really remain but I am certain what will not remain - combustion engines and everything powered by them (cars, buses, ferries..)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 12:39 AM
JayCortese

2013: The Holt Renfrew Tower, 88 Scott, and 100 Adelaide west are approved and start construction, 10 York's height is increased due to many residensial buyers (up to 270 metres). Sheppard line extension to Weston road is approved and awaits construction.

2015: One Bloor is put on hold as a new 310 m proposal is approved, starting the construction of Canada's first supertall. I reveal my concept for a 400m office and residensial tower. 45 Bay Street reveals a second phase of the tower which would bring it to around 290 m. The transit committee approves a full fledged line from Greenwood, to steels avenue. Yonge street extension plans extend the line to Elgin Mills.

2017: My 400 metre concept tower height is reduced to 350 metres and is approved. Ice condominiums reveal a third tower to the north of the two existing ones. The abandonned lower bay station platform finally has a plan to be reused as it was intended to, with a large line proposal from exhibition place to Port union road via museum station and the danforth line.

2022: Toronto's population has risen to almost 10 million, with 7 supertalls and around 2500 highrises. Toronto is picked for the summer olympics for 2028, thus leading to the construction of the DRL.The sheppard line extension to weston is completed. Ten york is completed at 270 metres.

2025: Toronto's first hyper-tall skyscraper is proposed at around 720 - 760 metres. The don mills line from greenwood to steels is finished and is used by about 2 million customers per day. The TTC reveals yet another new train that they predict will fully arrive near the middle of 2028 when the olympics are in session.

2027: The DRL is complete the year before the olympics, and a new cicular downtown line on the same rails as the yonge-university and bloor line using the lower bay station platform, this service is approved and will start in early 2028.

2028: This year is a lucky year for Toronto. The leafs win the stanley cup, and held the olympics, with canada winning at the end of the event. And the ginormous plan for the hyper-tall has been approved at a height of 860 metres, not the tallest in the world, but definitely in the top three. The propostorous planned tower is eventually is completed 7 years later in 2035.

2030: In the end Toronto has approximately 16 million people, 14 rapid transit lines, around 4000 highrises, 18 supertalls, and one to-be hyper-tall.

Last edited by JayCortese; Jun 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM. Reason: addition to post

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 3:28 AM

Ha, that one seems even more far fetched than mine! One bloor is happening, unfortunatly. 10 york will most likely happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto