HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:18 PM

Vantage points

Just wondering, what are your favorite places from which to photograph the city? I've been using OHSU a lot (top of the tram), but I'll bet someone's got some better, "secret" spots... willing to share?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:34 PM

I wish I could find a way to take a photo of the city from the top deck of the Freemont bridge. I'm just astonished how dense the city looks from the center of that span.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:52 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
I wish I could find a way to take a photo of the city from the top deck of the Freemont bridge. I'm just astonished how dense the city looks from the center of that span.
You can easily do that during the Portland Bridge Pedal. Granted, you have to ride the route to get there, but still... it's really worth it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Just wondering, what are your favorite places from which to photograph the city? I've been using OHSU a lot (top of the tram), but I'll bet someone's got some better, "secret" spots... willing to share?
I fancy the top of the Smart Park Parking Building in the Pearl District between NW9th and NW Station Way. Address 720 NW Lovejoy Ct.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_jt View Post
I fancy the top of the Smart Park Parking Building in the Pearl District between NW9th and NW Station Way. Address 720 NW Lovejoy Ct.
Doesn't security usually complain though?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
You can easily do that during the Portland Bridge Pedal. Granted, you have to ride the route to get there, but still... it's really worth it.
Yeah, but I want to do it at dusk!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
If u are willing to drive and swerve dangerously and take pics like me... it is possible to get some decent shots up there U really get a feel for how the Pearl District has exploded over 15 years :

There are also some great views from this hillside condo parking lot, Uptown Terrace or something, right off West Burnside just a bit past Uptown Shopping Center. Really steep hill to get there. Lots of great vantage points looking over DT, Pearl, Fremont Bridge, and towards Mt. Hood.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Doesn't security usually complain though?
I've been up there a couple times specifically for picture taking. They don't seem to mind, its just a security guard on the ground floor who seems too busy messing around on his smart phone to care about anything else at certain times of the day.

The other thing is, you can always actually drive to the top (if you have a car) and legitimately be up there for a few minutes.

edit: But another good nearby spot that is legit is the pedestrian bridge over the Railroad tracks right in Union Station (in between Broadway and the Steel bridge).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:45 AM

Any of the parking garages downtown, youll get the least hassle, if any, from the SmartPark garages.

Departure and Portland City Grill, I hear there is also a rooftop restaurant at the old Hilton tower and also at the Lloyd Red Lion. Ecotrust and The Rocket on East Burnside have roof decks.

There is a great view of downtown and South Waterfront from Sellwood at SE 13th overlooking Oaks Wildlife Refuge.

Also south of PSU there are some stairways going up the hillside up to Piggott's Castle where there are some good views of Downtown's PSU and Museum Place area.

Looks like Vista Bridge is a lost vantage point.

Oh if you go see a matinee at Fox Tower 10 if you leave out the back exits can get some shots overlooking the squares and surrounding streets.

Word is there is a public viewpoint from the Federal Courthouse Tower but they don't allow cameras inside.

Pioneer Courthouse and Nordstrom café have great views of Pioneer Courthouse Square

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:07 PM

This is good information about smartpark.

Has anyone had any experience with the Providence garages along 84?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 1:20 AM

I've always wanted to get up onto the roof of the Montgomery Park building.

I remember seeing the view (partially) in an episode of Grimm and I've been dying to get up there ever since.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos