HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Messy, spectacular win sends Toronto Argonauts into Grey Cup game — and, maybe, onto path to relevance
About two hours before kickoff in Toronto, there was evidence of the thing people in the Argonauts’ offices keep saying is coming
Scott Stinson The National Post November 19, 2017

TORONTO — At 11 a.m. on Sunday, about two hours before kickoff in the CFL East final, there was evidence of the thing that people in the Toronto Argonauts’ offices keep saying is coming: relevance.

The tailgate area outside BMO Field was full, or at least approaching fullness. It was windy and chilly so close to the shore of Lake Ontario, but hundreds of fans hunkered down in chairs in front of barbecues, or kept themselves warm by playing cornhole. Or did the more obvious warming trick of filling themselves with alcohol.

Still others milled around in front of the live band, an outfit called Dwayne Gretzky that covered rock standards. There was a distinct waft in the air of substances that are not yet legal in Canada but will be next summer. People waved flags and tossed footballs and mugged for TV cameras. A group of men argued about the merits of turkey bacon, which, I mean, really: there are no merits.

Bacon discussion aside, on the whole it was a small picture of the promise that had been mostly unfulfilled for two full seasons, since the Argos’ new owners arranged to move them to BMO Field, an intimate setting that was supposed to be a far superior place to watch a football game and would therefore draw far superior crowds.

Sunday was the first real evidence that such a thing might happen. There was the busy tailgate, with happy people wearing Doug Flutie jerseys and Pinball Clemons jerseys, plus a Santa Claus in a James Wilder, Jr., jersey. (Santa likes his jerseys to be topical, apparently.) There was the trailer selling Argos merchandise, and a table where the guys who make Mike Babcock-branded socks were selling theirs. They even had Babsocks in Rider green.

The Maple Leafs coach was here for the game himself, proudly supporting the visitors, which is the kind of thing you can do when your team is on a hot streak and also when you are in the middle of an eight-year contract that pays you like an elite winger. And in more Leafs news, Mitch Marner was in house, again, and this time he brought Auston Matthews with him.

Some challenges clearly remain. By the time the game was underway, the stands were mostly full, which is most unusual for the Argos at BMO Field, although there were still visible swaths of empty seats. There were also large chunks of fans wearing Roughrider colours, testament to the benefit that the Argos enjoyed by having an East final opponent with the most passionate fan diaspora in the CFL. It was still a convincingly Argo crowd, but there’s little doubt the announced attendance of 24,929 — a record for the team in this stadium — would have been smaller without Saskatchewan participating in the affair.

Assuming that some of those fans had not attended a CFL game in person before, they might have found themselves wondering if the rules were even more different than they were led to believe. Like, is the idea to give the ball to the other team? There were six turnovers in the first half alone, with each team committing three of them. The Argonauts started the game turning the ball over on downs, then going two-and-out, and then losing a fumble. It was perhaps not the best way to woo a new legion of fans.

Despite the offensive offence from the Argos, the Roughriders managed to out-incompetence them early. Quarterback Kevin Glenn was 6-for-13 for 87 yards and three interceptions in the first half, with two of those picks bookending a relief appearance by Brandon Bridge, who was ineffective himself — until the second half.

Bridge, normally the Riders’ third-stringer (HUH? - elly), ended up being the almost-saviour on the day, with 141 yards passing, most of them after halftime, and a 35-yard scramble that started the Saskatchewan comeback. The Riders scored on that drive, and then scored again quickly on a Christion Jones punt return, and then it was over to Ricky Ray and the Argos to bail themselves out on a day in which they had led most of the way despite their many mistakes.

Ray did just that, hitting Wilder for a third-and-five conversion that saved Toronto’s season, and which set up an eventual touchdown dive from short-yardage QB Cody Fajardo.

By the time the fireworks went off to celebrate that score, the crowd had noticeably thinned out, an indication that some of the attendees were not yet totally sold on the idea of CFL football. Diehards know no lead is safe.

But, it was a start, and the fans were treated to a game that was the CFL at its spectacular, messy best: a 25-21 Toronto win that was full of turnovers, and the late Roughrider rally and the even later Argo rally for the win. Nineteen games into their new digs, and it felt like the Argonauts had finally found something on which they can build.

I don't agree with the bolded comment. If Ottawa had made the Eastern Final instead of Saskatchewan, a large contingent of RedBlack fans would have gone to Toronto as they did to the Grey Cup last year. I would have considered hopping on a train.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 3:37 PM

First, I only saw the last few minutes of the Eastern Final. It was very evident that there was great atmosphere at BMO field. The fans were into it, no question, which will win lots of fans back to the Argos going forward. It shows the advantage of playing in an intimate stadium compared to the horrible Rogers Centre.

After last week's Eastern semi-final, which was a total dud (I was there), due to RedBlack lack of pass rush all game, I had feared an all-west Grey Cup here in Ottawa. I am always into the underdog, and will approach the Grey Cup game (I will be there) cheering for a Toronto team, which is something I cannot believe I am saying.

The Maas decision is something I cannot believe. How could you not go for third down with the amount of time on the clock? It was a no-brainer. You could not lose on going for it. The worst thing that could have happened is that you turned the ball over at the 13 yard line. By kicking, you were giving time and field position and still had the same requirement to score a touchdown. I just shake my head on the stupidity.

After the smug superiority of the Stamps that was on full display in last year's Grey Cup just re-emphasizes why I will be cheering for the Argos despite my disdain for Toronto teams of all sports.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:18 PM

I agree with Tobyoby's point, I think this year's Argos team shares a lot of similarities with last year's Redblacks. I would say that would make the Argos my pick for the win but this year's Calgary team doesn't appear to have the same mojo as last year and I think that is a good thing for them. Less talk about the best record ever, less talk about the heavy favourites, the sting of last year's overtime loss, I think this Calgary team is very hungry for a win. Going to be difficult to top last years game but there is a chance, glad I get to watch it in person.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
No joke, this is the kind of mentality that has been identified as a cause of major plane crashes... where the captain is making a huge mistake that ends up killing everyone but the underlings simply don't dare challenge the boss.

Maas has the makings of a good coach but I think he needs to chill the eff out a bit. Compare rage-a-holics like him or Austin with cool, level headed guys like Trestman. Or when was the last time you saw someone like Wally Buono openly berating someone on the sidelines?
Maas is over the top, but looks normal compare to Chris Jones. That guy has issues.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:52 PM

The CFL and Twitter Canada team up to enhance #GreyCup experience for football fans everywhere
Max Rosenberg The Snap cfl.ca November 20, 2017

Monday, November 20, 2017 — OTTAWA – The Canadian Football League (CFL) and Twitter Canada will be teaming up in Ottawa this week for the 105th Grey Cup (#GreyCup), presented by Shaw.

From exclusive live-streaming video content to “made in Canada” emojis to immersive in-stadium experiences, football fans from Canada and around the world will be flocking to Twitter to find out what’s happening during #GreyCup Week.

“The CFL’s relationship with our great partners at Twitter deepened even further this year.” Says Christina Litz, Senior Vice President, Marketing & Content at Canadian Football League. “I’m proud to say that we share a Fan-first philosophy and have worked closely together to bring sports most passionate fans new ways of interacting and engaging with our players, team, League and now the Grey Cup.”

This past June, #CFLThisWeek debuted on Twitter, the first Canadian original weekly live-streaming show on the platform. Hosted by the CFL’s Brodie Lawson and three-time Grey Cup champion Davis Sanchez with guest appearances by CFL’s Max Rosenberg, the program has attracted thousands of viewers each week and big name guests from the worlds of sports, media and entertainment.

More than 1 million football fans from across the planet tuned into #CFLThisWeek during its first season with an average per-episode audience of more than 44,000 viewers. The Week 11 episode of #CFLThisWeek (featuring a guest appearance by TSN’s Derek Taylor) was the most viewed of this season with more than 118,000 people watching on Twitter.

The #CFLThisWeek crew will be out in full force during #GreyCup Week with a number of special live stream broadcasts scheduled to showcase what’s happening live from Ottawa.

Here is the full programming schedule, streaming live on Twitter from the official @CFL Twitter account:

Thursday, November 23 10:00am ET – Live with the Toronto Argonauts
Thursday, November 23 3:30pm ET – Live with the Calgary Stampeders
Friday, November 24 7:00pm ET – Live from the CFL #GCTweetUp
Saturday, November 25 10:00am ET – Pre-#GreyCup behind-the-scenes walkthrough
Sunday, November 26 10:00am ET – Live from the Commissioner’s Brunch

“#CFLThisWeek was the first live-streaming program globally to be filmed weekly at a Twitter office and we’re thrilled to once again be teaming with the CFL on a new batch of live video content for #GreyCup Week,” says Christopher Doyle, Head of Sports, Twitter Canada. “Having partnered with the CFL for years on a wide range of #GreyCup activities, we’re excited to be upsizing the league’s live-streaming experience in 2017 with this action-packed video content.”

In other CFL Twitter news, the #GCTweetUp fan event, presented by Shaw, will be coming to Ottawa on Friday, November 24. A staple of #GreyCup Week, the event will feature a variety of Twitter-powered activations plus opportunities to interact with top-name CFL players, personalities and the #GreyCup itself.

CFL will also be able to engage with Twitter during the #GreyCup game on a variety of in-game activations:

CFL team emojis. Tweet #ArgosFootball to unlock a Toronto Argonauts emoji and #GoStampsGo for a Calgary Stampeders Tweeting #GreyCup will also unlock a custom emoji.

In-stadium signage. For fans attending the big game, live #GreyCup Tweets will be shown on the concourse and on-field digital display boards at TD Place Stadium. Fans can also Tweet their good luck wishes to the #GreyCup finalists in the lead-up to the game, to be displayed in the player tunnels during entrances.

Real-time content. Follow the @CFL, @TwitterSportsCA and @TwitterCanada accounts on Twitter for the latest game highlights, conversations and behind-the-scenes content, including exclusive photos and video content from the Twitter Mirror.

Heading into the #GreyCup, Twitter conversations about both teams are heating up. There were 3.1x more Twitter mentions about the Argonauts during the week of the East Final compared to weekly mentions during the CFL regular season. For the Stampeders, there were 2.3x more weekly Twitter mentions during the week of the West Final. The Stampeders’ most mentioned player on Twitter this season was their starting quarterback, Bo Levi Mitchell. The most mentioned Argonaut on Twitter was their quarterback, Ricky Ray.

Keep tabs on Twitter throughout #GreyCup Week for the latest CFL video content, team details and real-time reactions from CFL players and fans.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:11 PM

Argos earn more than Grey Cup berth with East Final victory
Donnovan Bennett sportsnet.ca November 19, 2017

There is a saying in sports that “this is just another game.”

That was the company line from the Toronto Argonauts all week. That’s what defensive coordinator Corey Chamblin said about facing his former team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders. That is what Ricky Ray said about what could have been his final game in double blue.

But as true as the sports cliché of all clichés is about what happens on the field, it couldn’t be farther from the truth around the field. The mechanics of the East Final was the same as every other game this year. It was still played on a 110-yard field where you had three downs to make 10 while playing 12 aside.

This isn’t about the game. You can find that recap here.

That’s because the entire atmosphere around the game was remarkably different than any other football game played at BMO Field over the last 24 months.

Yes, the 2016 Grey Cup was both a great game and a great atmosphere, but in some ways it was artificial. It wasn’t hard to get tickets for free or on the secondary market. The stadium was full because, from an optics standpoint, it had to be.

On the contrary, this time the risk of not “papering the house” with freebies was taken and rewarded.

This was different than the first ever Argos game at BMO Field. It was more about communion than curiosity.

For starters, at kickoff it was four degrees but it felt like minus one. The chilly temperature didn’t turn away fans wearing blue or green. The 24,929 announced made it the largest Argos crowd at BMO Field.

In fact, fans were in attendance bright and early. As I went on a morning run across the Lakeshore paths that hug up against Lake Ontario I witnessed thousands of tailgaters already in the shadows of BMO Field pregaming well before the game.

Although the Toronto Raptors also had a home contest the vibe across the downtown core was decidedly blue.

Normally on weekends I see more of my fellow downtown condo dwellers dressed up to go to Buffalo Bills games than making the short trek down the street to go see the Argos. This is the first time I’ve seen a walk-up crowd as there were considerable lines to get into BMO an hour before kickoff.

The boisterous party within the stands started early as well. When Argonauts linebacker Terrance Plummer picked off a pass intended for Bakari Grant and took it to the house for a 39-yard interception return touchdown, it was bedlam in the stands.

The noise was just as loud when Devier Posey secured a 17-yard touchdown by wrestling the ball away from Kacy Rodgers II with 1:13 left in the first half. And when Ricky Ray led the Argos on a game-winning 68-yard, 10-play touchdown drive in just 2:14. A second half snow storm didn’t dampen the enthusiasm.

The game itself had a thrilling finish but it wasn’t a master class of football. The six turnovers in the first half, including four interceptions, a fumble and an Argos turnover on downs on the first series of the game, wasn’t a great showcase for the CFL product at the highest level. But, although the game itself was forgettable, the scenes and atmosphere in the stands were memorable.

Having anything to cheer about in regard to the double blue was hard to fathom at this time last year.

The on-field home reno was done on the fly. Jim Popp and Marc Trestman built their team and staff two and a half months before the season started. The late additions of S.J. Green, Armanti Edwards, Victor Butler, Bear Woods, James Wilder Jr., and the in-season signing of Mitchell White, all paid big dividends on Sunday.

The normally stoic Green was a rollercoaster of emotions after the final whistle, hugging everyone in sight as he celebrated with his family after what has been a long road to recovery after a devastating knee injury a year ago.

Like Green, the franchise as a whole has gotten off the canvas and bounced back in 2017. Remember, this is an Argonauts organization that was a CFL-worst 5-13 a year ago and didn’t even have the first overall pick to show for it after trading it away for quarterback Drew Willy, who they cut in training camp.

Building the business side of the product will take more time. It’s easier to build culture amongst a team than it is a fan base.

No single Argos player has done more to preach the gospel of the goodship Argonaut than Shawn Lemon. Lemon has been a fixture in the community and with the media promoting the product. The part-time salesman’s day job is to get sacks and on Sunday the former Roughrider had five tackles and three sacks.

Lemon is one of the few Argos who has been to a Grey Cup previously, with two sacks in two career Grey Cup games. But this is the first time the future bottomline of his franchise will be greatly impacted by the final box score.

It must be noted that a big contingent of those in the stands creating the atmosphere were Riders fans.

Saskatchewan came in to this game the team of destiny winning five straight on the road. They couldn’t make it six and thus still no team has crossed over and made it all the way to the Grey Cup. The most famous among the melon head Rider fans was Mike Babcock as he and his daughter cheered for his hometown team rather than the one he currently shares a postal code with.

Walter Gretzky and Morgan Reilly were other hockey faces in attendance.

Michael “Pinball” Clemons could be found in the stands with a section of adorning hardcore fans rather than in a suite.

Even the Ottawa Redblacks super fans, the Lumber Joes, made the trip to see the East Final despite the fact their team wasn’t in the game.

The game felt like an event. An event millennials might want to see and be seen at.

An event that demonstrated the CFL playoffs should still be an integral part of the sporting calendar in Canada’s biggest city.

An event that had an equal balance of grey haired fans reminiscing about Doug Flutie as fresh faced kids who could aspire to be the next Brandon Bridge.

Even in a loss, Saskatchewan’s backup quarterback, Bridge, was the other feel good story. After three Kevin Glenn interceptions in the first half, Bridge led Saskatchewan on a late comeback path when the game felt all but over, and in the process became the first Canadian to throw a touchdown pass in the playoffs since Russ Jackson in the 1969 Grey Cup.

The Mississauga, Ont. native grew up watching Argos games and his play in front of family and friends will heat up the conversation at Grey Cup week around counting Canadian quarterbacks as national or “non-imports.”

But all the kids in the stands cared about was cheering on the hometown team, not the hometown star in the making.

With 1:39 left a “let’s go Argos” chant started throughout the stadium during a long stoppage in play. It wasn’t led by a graphic on the video board or by a call of action by the P.A. announcer. It was organic.

With the win in hand and the East trophy in the hands of offensive lineman William Campbell, the Argos players skipped off the field waving their arms in the air, signalling the crowd, which mostly hung around in the stands, to get up on their feet.

Afterwards, the Argos fans weren’t just jubilant. They were demonstrative, almost defiant about being doubted more than their team was.

As the skies started to darken, the sound that cut through the crisp air was the echo of “Argoooos” chants, and fog horns blowing, as fans spilled into the streets. And the sounds of the 416 Beats marching band that the die-hard fans got to dance into the night to.

It was a win because it was a sign this market isn’t invincible. The CFL in Toronto isn’t an impossible hill to climb.

Maybe the combo of Popp and Trestman and the venue, plus the weak East division, could be a life line. Maybe a 2017 Grey Cup win could provide a mulligan after a 2016 Grey Cup opportunity at home was wasted and ridiculed away.

It was just a cold day in late November. This win, or even one next week, isn’t a magic elixir. You can’t erase generations of a lack of investment and interest. But this cold and colourful day of Canadian football at BMO Field was a sign there could be brighter days ahead.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:29 PM

A lot of people are crapping on this in the comments section (which I always think is good for CFL fans to stand up for themselves because the haters will always back down). But, considering the source I think it is reasonably fair (with one lame shot we shouldn't even bother with) and maybe a slight change in perception so I'll met him halfway and not crap on it.

Argos in Grey Cup isn’t the best thing for CFL, also isn’t the worst
Jeff Blair sportsnet.ca November 20, 2017

Everything is a referendum on something for the Toronto Argonauts, the city and maybe the entire country’s most put-upon franchise.

So be prepared in the lead-up to Sunday’s Grey Cup that this is a chance for the Argos to “re-establish themselves” in the city’s pecking order, or, conversely, that it’s a shame for the CFL that the Saskatchewan Roughriders and their thousands of fans won’t have a vested interest in the game’s outcome.

It’s either the best or worst thing that could possibly happen to the CFL, when in reality it’s neither.

In any other league or with any other team the focus would be on the remarkable job done by general manager Jim Popp and head coach Marc Trestman, who had a couple of weeks lead-in to put together a staff, a year after what can only be described as a still-born start to life at BMO Field.

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie told Stephen Brunt and myself that he believes the Argonauts are at the beginning of a long-term climb to being what he called a “cool” franchise and that no one single event or outcome will yet make it permanent, any more than winning the Centennial Grey Cup at the Rogers Centre moved the needle on where the Argos are within the city’s pecking order.

That’s realistic.

As Ambrosie pointed out, the Argos have three well-defined foundation stones in place: BMO Field, the best-funded, most stable ownership the franchise has had in many years, and a smart front office and head coach that knows the league and the game. Those are irrefutable. The fourth foundation stone is the overall experience.

“And,” Ambrosie said, using the results of the team’s own exit surveys, “they’ve shown that they’re in the beginning of an experiential foundation.”

Those are modest, common-sense sentiments. It doesn’t mean that the background noise will be any different than it’s been for the past decade or so: NFL snobs will roll their eyes and check their morals at the door to wallow in the usual ‘Murican sewage every Sunday.

Toronto FC supporters will jealously remind one and all that the Argos are interlopers at what should rightly be regarded as Canada’s national soccer stadium (and, yes, I side with them).

And Raptors and Blue Jays fans will remind one and all that it’s one thing to beat a team from New York or Los Angeles to win a title and another to beat a team from Regina.

As for Maple Leafs fans, well, most of them don’t care.

Argos fans will call everybody snobs, monitor social media and call-in shows for evidence of anti-Argos bias and get all worked up when folks point out that this city hasn’t had a team win a major title since the 1993 World Series. Which it hasn’t.

None of which should matter, of course. If you’re an Argos fan and have bought tickets year after year? Well done, and enjoy the ride this week. If you’re a band-wagoner, hop on board. As for the rest of us, all we’ve done lately is talk about how pro sports has never been healthier in Toronto and is, more than ever, the sports capital of this country.

That being the case, there’s plenty of room for the Argos without anybody having anything taken away from them.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:47 PM

I saw that article too on Sportsnet. I really is unfortunate they deem it necessary to write such offensive articles about the Argos and CFL in general. For Blair to actually admit in the piece that he agrees the Argos shouldn't be at the BMO, really shows his true colours. Not to mention, again, he had to go on to say that CFL is not a major sports league. While not a true NA "major sports league" it is most certainly the 2nd most popular league in Canada.

I look forward to seeing what the TV ratings are for that game. I'd project them to be huge, surpassing anything the Jays have attained in the last few years... I guess we'll see. I might be completely proven wrong though!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Well, this was the comment that made me raise an eyebrow:

NFL snobs will roll their eyes and check their morals at the door to wallow in the usual ‘Murican sewage every Sunday.

He just slagged several million Canadian sports fans there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:09 PM

^ Given Jeff Blair's negative comments about the CFL and NFL, is it reasonable to infer that he may just not like football all that much period?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^ Given Jeff Blair's negative comments about the CFL and NFL, is it reasonable to infer that he may just not like football all that much period?
I think he used to cover the Expos for the Montreal Gazette - as his main beat. But I'll have to check.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:37 PM

^ That rings a bell. I think it's just a case of Sportsnet being Sportsnet.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
For Blair to actually admit in the piece that he agrees the Argos shouldn't be at the BMO, really shows his true colours.
This line the TFC people always spout really makes me laugh. They are clueless to the history. In it own roundabout way this is what was supposed to happen. The Argos/CSA and UofT were to share a stadium and U of T pulled out last minute and screwed the deal. It could have been saved when York took the place of UofT but then Ted Rogers begged the Argos and C&S/Braley to stay and gave them a sweetheart deal at SkyDome. The Argos pulled out which hindsight being 20/20 was a grievous error and we took the long road to get to where we are now.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
^ That rings a bell. I think it's just a case of Sportsnet being Sportsnet.
Actually they seem to be getting better, I think they've deservedly taken a lot of heat. They now allow Donnovan Bennett to be their token CFL guy and he does good work so that's a start.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
I look forward to seeing what the TV ratings are for that game. I'd project them to be huge, surpassing anything the Jays have attained in the last few years... I guess we'll see. I might be completely proven wrong though!
There's every reason to think they'll be good but audiences are dropping for all sports, and during their run, before now coming back to earth, the Jays were getting huge numbers.

I say it all the time, it's the GTA that drives the big numbers not the 1 million entire man/woman/child population of Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
I saw that article too on Sportsnet. I really is unfortunate they deem it necessary to write such offensive articles about the Argos and CFL in general.
The only way it stops is to fight back and shame them. Use the flag card if you have to because they did trying to keep Verizon out. Maybe mention you don't care who provides your phone service, Canadian or not. That'll get 'em thinkin' (and movin')

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
A rebuilt Varsity Stadium for pro football and soccer would have been amazing... that was such a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 8:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have a really, really hard time accepting that any stadium like BMO that was built so predominantly with public funds could "belong" so exclusively and arrogantly to a private pro sports franchise (and its fans)...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have a really, really hard time accepting that any stadium like BMO that was built so predominantly with public funds could "belong" so exclusively and arrogantly to a private pro sports franchise (and its fans)...
Another part of the history the revisionists like to forget is city council stating the stadium should be football ready and yet the builders had it made so it would be very difficult to make it football ready thereby costing a pile of money to make that possible years later. The mayor at that time was very pro TFC.

That's why as a huge fan of the NTs for over 40 years and apathetic to the Impact and Caps (in a warm way if that's possible) I have a very bad impression and attitude towards TFC but mostly some of their fans. Apparently didn't one of the articles say there was a large banner on an overpass saying "No Argos at BMO"

Last edited by elly63; Nov 20, 2017 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wouldn't they have allowed the touchdown and just docked the Argos 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff for roughing the passer, since the pass was gone before the QB got clotheslined? The penalty didn't really have any effect on the play.
Riders’ Chris Jones got out CFL rulebook after failed challenge in East Final loss
3Down Staff 3downnation November 20, 2017

Chris Jones has read the rulebook over and over again since Sunday’s loss to Toronto in the East Final.

The Riders head coach used the team’s only challenge in the first quarter of the season-ending defeat and it didn’t go as planned.

Kevin Glenn threw an interception to Terrance Plummer who took it back 39 yards for a touchdown with under five minutes and 30 seconds left in the opening quarter. After Glenn had let the ball go, Victor Butler’s left arm made contact with Saskatchewan’s quarterback’s head and neck area. There was no penalty flag on the play, so Jones challenged the ruling.

“Well, I mean I’ve been reading this rulebook since last night and it says right here on page 56 any blow above the passer’s shoulder,” Jones said

The photo evidence.

“Certainly it’s early in the game and that’s a seven-point turnaround. That was my belief is that he did get contacted above his shoulder pads in his head and neck area or I wouldn’t have burned my one challenge that I had, I firmly believe that I still do,” Jones asserted.

“But at the same time, that’s not the only thing that cost us that football game, I want to make that abundantly clear: we’re not trying to make excuses or point fingers or anything else. That was a challenge, I lost the challenge. There were plenty of other opportunities that we had to win that football game and unfortunately we didn’t.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada