HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:03 AM

Austin Lee, there is no reason you should have to choose your words more wisely. He responded to your opinions and thoughts with a personal attack. A well respected and logical opinion it was too. If anyone seriously thinks, Mt Washington is about to take off or be the next Lawrenceville, they are either a complete optimist or a homer. Oh wait, Altius is up there, some trails, and a bunch of doctors and lawyers living on Grandview......my bad, how can there not soon be exponential growth! You were generous in my opinion to call the housing stock mid level but I'll take your word for it as you work in the industry. Also, I think accessibility hurts Mt. Washington. The beat up streets that you mention can be fixed, however you can't make them wider. Grandview isn't like Butler St. or Carson St which are main thoroughfares, have a lot of through traffic and are easy to get to. When Beau Beemsterboer first proposed the glass enclosed stairway from his Grandview development to Station Square I thought it was silly and unnnecessary, but I now feel that it would be a great idea although it never gets mentioned or appear in the pics so I assume he dropped the idea. Yes I know there is the incline but many people simply do not consider public transportation even when it is a scenic ride. I wonder how many Pittsburghers even know whats on the back side of "the View." How many care?!
Mt. Washington obviously has great potential because of the view and number of people it attracts, and I think it's doing as good as the rest of the city which is of course quite good as we know. I'd be very surprised if it "takes off" though.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:22 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
Austin Lee, there is no reason you should have to choose your words more wisely. He responded to your opinions and thoughts with a personal attack. A well respected and logical opinion it was too. If anyone seriously thinks, Mt Washington is about to take off or be the next Lawrenceville, they are either a complete optimist or a homer. Oh wait, Altius is up there, some trails, and a bunch of doctors and lawyers living on Grandview......my bad, how can there not soon be exponential growth! You were generous in my opinion to call the housing stock mid level but I'll take your word for it as you work in the industry. Also, I think accessibility hurts Mt. Washington. The beat up streets that you mention can be fixed, however you can't make them wider. Grandview isn't like Butler St. or Carson St which are main thoroughfares, have a lot of through traffic and are easy to get to. When Beau Beemsterboer first proposed the glass enclosed stairway from his Grandview development to Station Square I thought it was silly and unnnecessary, but I now feel that it would be a great idea although it never gets mentioned or appear in the pics so I assume he dropped the idea. Yes I know there is the incline but many people simply do not consider public transportation even when it is a scenic ride. I wonder how many Pittsburghers even know whats on the back side of "the View." How many care?!
Mt. Washington obviously has great potential because of the view and number of people it attracts, and I think it's doing as good as the rest of the city which is of course quite good as we know. I'd be very surprised if it "takes off" though.
I agree that the biggest thing that would make it a draw would be a long, historic business district which just doesn't currently exist. You have a couple smaller ones but not cohesive. And being on a mountain does make it not super accessible. I don't know how I think about the glass stairway. It could be pretty epic if executed well.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:53 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Hotel Monaco will be opening soon
It's already open and welcomed its first guests today.

A story of two people who met in the building in the 1960s and are now the first guests: http://triblive.com/lifestyles/morel...g-couple-hotel

Credit: kimptoninpgh

Credit: kimptoninpgh

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:01 PM

Awesome. Cool story, great couple, and very smart marketing by Kimpton.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
In the next few months. Demo should be well underway in spring.
according to the scrap metal guy starting the demo work at the penn-highland building, the historic facades on penn ave will remain

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/...s/201409230076

apparently the preservationists won that battle which is a good thing

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:03 PM

Remain in situ, or remain hanging as decoration in the alley courtyard?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsters View Post
Remain in situ, or remain hanging as decoration in the alley courtyard?
where they are now

again, this info came from the scrap metal guy so take it with a grain of scrap

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

Where did you read that in the article, I skimmed through it and didn't see anywhere where it said the developers would preserve the facades in place...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:30 PM

Just thinking about the Mt Washington debate--it seems to me that whenever you are discussing the future prospects of a neighborhood there is going to be lots of inherent uncertainty such that a range of future outcomes is plausible. And that is going to be even more true of fairly unique neighborhoods like Mt Washington (unique in terms of its combination of topography, proximity to Downtown, public transit options including the Inclines, and so forth).

That doesn't mean we can't still debate the issues and raise points and counter-points. But hopefully (and I am speaking of all of us here, including me, not anyone in particular) we can all keep reminding ourselves that there is lots of room for reasonable differences of opinion.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Where did you read that in the article, I skimmed through it and didn't see anywhere where it said the developers would preserve the facades in place...
I thought JVC was saying that information came recently from the scrap metal guy on the project, perhaps privately. That article is an older one, but provides background on the subject.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:22 PM
Ex Houstonian

Maybe more good news then today for historic preservation...

Diana Nelson Jones' Walkabout: City of Asylum preparing rebirth of Masonic Hall

Quote:
By Diana Nelson Jones / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That giant sucking sound you might have heard over the weekend was a whoosh of “Finally!” coming from the North Side.

Hundreds of social media “likes” and comments greeted the Urban Redevelopment Authority board’s decision Thursday to sell the former Masonic Hall on North Avenue near Federal Street to City of Asylum Pittsburgh. The closing on the sale is in April.

“We are so excited,” said Henry Reese, co-founder of City of Asylum Pittsburgh. “This project has been germinating since 2008, when I started surveying people” in the neighborhood. “The enthusiasm from all stakeholders, from the community, from our board, from supporters, government and writers has been across-the-board thrilling.”

Ms. Straussman said the Masonic Hall’s sale of $50,000 reflects the URA’s role as “taking on projects no one would be able to do in a market environment. We like to recoup what we can of the public investment, but the overarching priority is to get viable projects that revitalize neighborhoods and improve property values.”

The theater is still being renovated for a restaurant. The original restaurateur slated for the site pulled out of the deal, but it’s pretty likely a desirable restaurant will find the renovation and location appealing.
http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/...s/201501200031

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:26 PM

http://www.sopghreporter.com/story/2...iew/15179.html

Bringing it back to Grandview, I would think having Mosites on board helps the chances of this getting done. Also, I think that architecture firm did the East Liberty Transit Center design.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 5:34 PM

I definitely don't think Mt Washington needs a limited access area, but I've made the case here previously for some successful examples...state st in Madison and Fulton mall in Brooklyn. They're outliers, for sure, but very lively areas.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsters View Post
Bringing it back to Grandview, I would think having Mosites on board helps the chances of this getting done. Also, I think that architecture firm did the East Liberty Transit Center design.
Agreed. I may also be getting my wish for a return of the public plaza component:

Quote:
The preliminary concept for the four-acre plaza includes a 125-room hotel, 285 apartment units, 12 townhouses, a community courtyard, a leasable ballroom, and a parking garage. The plaza would be constructed on the space formerly occupied by the Edge Restaurant which was demolished in 2011. . . . Mr. Mansperger provided initial concepts of the development plans and said the goal is to create a community space so “people coming from the city have a destination and see where that incline is going.”

He also said the courtyard in the central part of the plaza will be an important component and will provide the community with the opportunity to host numerous events including markets, craft fairs, live music, or food festivals. “Some of the things we’ve been talking about as a team are how we can utilize all the energy that Grandview has and create a place up there that’s not just buildings, but public space that the community can use and then other visitors to the Mount Washington area feel like they can be a part of,” Mr. Mansperger said.
And it is also good news to get confirmation that some the parking garage would be open to the public, which that area likely needs:

Quote:
Mr. Mansperger also said the plaza would include a multi-level parking garage containing approximately 550 spaces that will be open to all visitors. Of those spaces, 100 would be open to the public, while 70 would be reserved for the hotel. The additional 400 spaces would be available for residents.
400 spaces for the residents of 285 units still sounds high to me, but hopefully it would be easy to shift more over if they are not being utilized fully.

But of course this sort of anti-density NIMBYism has me tearing my hair out:

Quote:
Sandy Fundy, who owns several houses on Wyoming Street, said while she is pleased with the addition of the hotel, she believes there are too many apartments in the initial concept.

“I think the fact that they introduced a hotel is showing support and that they are listening to what the community wants,” Ms. Fundy said. “The density of the apartments are still too much for that small amount of land. They are going to have to reduce the amount of rental units in order to get the community on board. The whole project is very dense.”

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:56 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Yeah, apparently that person missed the part about building into the slope. The previous proposal did that, didn't they? I also wonder if the hotel portion is going to be as tall as the previous proposal which also included a roof-top observation deck.

How many rooms did the previously proposed hotel have? This is at roughly 125, so I'm thinking it might be a bit shorter. Still, something with good height and density going up there would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 1:05 AM

My favorite part of the original design was not the sail-like hotel tower, but actually the condos spilling down the hill. I'm hoping the reference to 12 townhomes and the following indicate that element is also making a return:

Quote:
He added since the land contains 150 feet of fall, the plaza will work into the natural topography of the land and will step down the hillside to serve as a continuation of the property’s natural slope.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 1:22 AM
World Class City

First of all my apologies to Austinlee. I'm rather passionate about my neighborhood as most are. It would be huge if One Grandview had a pool overlooking the city. I know that pools are hard to justify cost wise but when i have traveled to places (even colder climates than Pittsburgh) its nice to just enjoy the sun and pool with chill / ambient music playing and poolside service to make you feel like you're on vacation somewhere. Maybe they can even have a spa adjacent to it where a guest can get a massage or other service to unwind.

Heck, If they can put a pool on the roof at Sky Bar in the south side with a retractable glass ceiling they can certainly do it in a multi million dollar development like this one. With tourism growing in the city this could be a nice draw and separate it from the appeal of the hotels Downtown. It could even be transformed in the evening to a lounge atmosphere sort of like this pic

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 2:19 PM

Great idea! A long infinity pool along the promenade like the one on top of the Singapore Hotel would be a no-brainer for this development. Allow both the apartment dwellers and the hotel guests access to it. I could easily see people staying there instead of downtown for the pool and the view alone.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:01 PM

is there a reason why people choose to post photographs in this forum
that do not fit on the screen?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:09 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVC View Post
is there a reason why people choose to post photographs in this forum
that do not fit on the screen?
Vanity

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations