HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
You disagree? Nowadays the term "skyscraper" is defined as a building exceeding 150 m. If you check the diagrams page, you will see that Chicago has completed only 15 such buildings since 2010. Granted, this page isn't complete for all cities, but for skyscrapers in Chicago it's probably 100% complete. 15 skyscrapers in 8.5 years aren't a lot, in a city that was once a "skyscraper capital". During this period, numerous cities in Asia and the Middle East have had many more than that, and NYC completed 44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Of course, I’m guessing he is referring to supertalls
Nope, I was talking about skyscrapers. Chicago didn't complete a single supertall since the Trump Hotel, so I would have said "zero" or "no", instead of "not a whole lot of".

Last edited by pianowizard; Yesterday at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
You disagree? Nowadays the term "skyscraper" is defined as a building exceeding 150 m. If you check the diagrams page, you will see that Chicago has completed only 15 such buildings since 2010. Granted, this page isn't complete for all cities, but for skyscrapers in Chicago it's probably 100% complete. 15 skyscrapers in 8.5 years aren't a lot, in a city that was once a "skyscraper capital". During this period, numerous cities in Asia and the Middle East have had many more than that, and NYC completed 44.
You realize this means Chicago has actually completed more skyscrapers per capita than NYC, right?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
There's very clearly a 4-5 floor chunk cut out there. It's not a perspective issue at all
There's been no mention of a shorter building or less units, which isn't to say that setbacks weren't adjusted.

People need to stop bitching and freaking out.

I'm sure that significant changes would have been reported.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:22 PM
Development Shill

Quote:

Nope, I was talking about skyscrapers. Chicago didn't complete a single supertall since the Trump Hotel, so I would have said "zero" or "no", instead of "not a whole lot of".
For a city of "only" 2.7 million people, we are doing a pretty damn good job. Comparing us to megacities around the globe just goes to show how far above our weight we are fighting here and still remaining relevant. It's a source of pride for Chicagoans.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:37 PM

Pianowizard must live in Haterville!

Oh by the way i think i found your pet

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:15 PM

Wow, folks, you really were so offended when I said that "Chicago hasn't built a whole lot of skyscrapers since 2009"? You even thought I sounded hateful? My whole point was that Chicago is building more skyscrapers now than around 2010 to 2018, and that we should be happy with this 893-footer, even if it were getting slightly shorter (though there is no credible evidence for such reduction). This was intended to be a positive, complimentary remark. I don't understand how one could see that as hate speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Comparing us to megacities around the globe just goes to show how far above our weight we are fighting here and still remaining relevant. It's a source of pride for Chicagoans.
Though I am not a Chicagoan, I live in Michigan which is in the same "megalopolis" that contains Chicago -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Megalopolis. I have so much faith in Chicago's potential that I expect even more from it. There has been an uptick in skyscraper construction very recently: though only 15 were completed between 2010 and so far in 2018, right now 9 are under construction. Again, in my previous posts I was alluding to this positive development. I am sorry if I sounded "hateful", but I thought I had made my intent very clear.

Last edited by pianowizard; Yesterday at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:15 PM

7/15/2018

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Alright, so which one of us is going to count floor plates between the 2 renderings and end this silly argument.
I did a "quick count" and total floors from that top step seems the same on both renderings. i did not count the whole building though

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:43 PM

My floor count from the first image above comes to 52..

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:23 PM

What a beast!

If they do build a taller twin will the setbacks be on the west?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:56 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Wow, folks, you really were so offended when I said that "Chicago hasn't built a whole lot of skyscrapers since 2009"? You even thought I sounded hateful? My whole point was that Chicago is building more skyscrapers now than around 2010 to 2018, and that we should be happy with this 893-footer, even if it were getting slightly shorter (though there is no credible evidence for such reduction). This was intended to be a positive, complimentary remark. I don't understand how one could see that as hate speech.

Though I am not a Chicagoan, I live in Michigan which is in the same "megalopolis" that contains Chicago -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Megalopolis. I have so much faith in Chicago's potential that I expect even more from it. There has been an uptick in skyscraper construction very recently: though only 15 were completed between 2010 and so far in 2018, right now 9 are under construction. Again, in my previous posts I was alluding to this positive development. I am sorry if I sounded "hateful", but I thought I had made my intent very clear.
This board can get.. challenging... at times. Just take it in stride. I got what you were saying.

Old Posted Today, 2:06 AM
Chicago

July 12, 2018

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction