HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Today, 4:38 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Look, can we all just call a spade a spade?..Most American city cores aside from a few outliers experienced heavy white flight, at least on regular weekends, in comparison to Aussie metros and even the few larger Canadian equivalent sized ones, let alone European metros.. Philly is no exception from what I at least experienced.I'm only talking about the city's heart as well, and not neighbourhoods..Glad to hear that that trend is reversing, and again we loved Philly..It's a great city!..I also want to put a little bit of a disclaimer on this in that I also recognize that we just weren't in the right parts of downtown when we were there as other people on here mentioned.For example Toronto's city hall always have people milling about on a given Saturday and Sunday afternoon, whereas Philly's beautiful city hall area was fairly quiet when we walked by that weekend, and that day was beautiful temperature wise.I suppose I was unfairly expecting more people in and around that city hall area, and cities roll differently on where the people congregate.The ship museum was also quiet, and we loved the aquarium on the Camden side, but the walk that through that neighbourhood from the aquarium to the bus station to get across again was a different story. We originally took the ferry across to get to the aquarium in the first place.
No worries, the simple explanation is that despite what some people are insisting, for various reasons (population, residential density, retail, tourism, transit usage etc.) Philly's core is simply not as busy in terms of pedestrian activity as Toronto's or Montreal's core. I don't know why stating such as thing is such a big deal.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions