HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Your own posted stats contradict your claims. Orange County has a significantly larger nonwhite population than SD County.

You're also, once again, disregarding any context. It isn't about mindlessly comparing counties, it's the fact that SD County is an urban, border county, while OC a completely suburban county, yet the urban border county is notably whiter. Then add the fact that OC is essentially the archtypical white conservative CA county, the home of B-1 Bob Dornan, Goldwater Country, etc.

OC was the most Republican voting county in the entire state of CA as recently as 2001. One wouldn't expect such a county to be less white than urban counties. SD Counties closest urban analogue in CA would be LA County, and that would be a radical demographic difference.
San Diego County is basically all nonwhite once you're south of the Gaslamp District/ Martin Luther King Jr. Freeeway all the way to the Mexican border (excluding a few areas right by the beach). It's just that much of the Latino areas ended up in other cities like National City and Chula Vista.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 6:26 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
My first thought reading this thread title was that people are always shocked to find out how Hispanic (Mexican) Chicago actually is.
Even my Hispanic friends back in Oregon are frequently surprised at how latino Chicago is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Lightly populated? Detroit is still one of the 25 largest cities in the US, even after decades of decline. I totally get your point but Detroit is anything but lightly populated.
I believe he meant that the city proper of Detroit is lightly populated compared to what it was at its peak. By 2010, the city proper has lost about 61% of it's population since it's Census peak in 1950. So, yeah, if a city loses over half its population, many of the remaining areas can rightly be called "sparsely populated" in my opinion. The parts of Chicago that are in decline are absolutely "sparsely populated," but even overall, from peak population to lowest point, Chicago "only" lost about 25% of its population, the vast majority of which was due to household size. Detroit, though, as a city, was decimated and lost over 60% of its population.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 6:47 PM

i consistently hear the "TX has the best Mexican food in the country and how can it not, its right next to the border!"

and then i have to argue that Chicago actually has a massive mexican population as well (which they never really fully grasp), and that we too have good mexican food...even better! trying to explain to someone from TX that spit roasted al pastor with fresh corn tortillas and a simple garnish of lime/onion/cilantro/salsa verde is more authentic than "queso" and tacos made with ground beef and shredded yellow cheese and lettuce

tex mex is fine but cant say ive ever encountered Chile Con Carne or flour burritos while traveling through Mexico. however, the street stalls i HAVE encounctered are more or less on par with any of the tacquerias on the SW side. and in fact the sheer variety of locally produced (still warm the day you buy them!) corn tortillas ive encountered in Chicago far surpasses what ive actually found in Mexico itself.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
San Diego County is basically all nonwhite once you're south of the Gaslamp District/ Martin Luther King Jr. Freeeway all the way to the Mexican border (excluding a few areas right by the beach). It's just that much of the Latino areas ended up in other cities like National City and Chula Vista.
I just looked on the census site and you are correct. San Diego's largest suburb Chula Vista is only 18% white. National City: 9.9% white, Imperial Beach: 32% white. Everything south is very much non-white. Everything north [especially] along the coast is white [similar to Orange and Los Angeles counties, whites live along the coast and inland hills].

Crawford doesn't know what he's talking about, but it is fun to see him scramble and continue to pretend like he knows what he's talking about [on every city and every topic]. I don't pretend to know anything about Detroit, because I don't know anything about Detroit.

San Diego County [a region of 3.4 million people, which includes all of the rural areas and suburban exurban fringe and also hosts the entire MSA/CSA] is "surprisingly white" @ 45% to Crawford.

Orange County has the same exact percentage of Hispanics as SDC, but with less blacks and more Asians with nearly the same population figure of about 3.1 million.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

I believe he meant that the city proper of Detroit is lightly populated compared to what it was at its peak. By 2010, the city proper has lost about 61% of it's population since it's Census peak in 1950. So, yeah, if a city loses over half its population, many of the remaining areas can rightly be called "sparsely populated" in my opinion. The parts of Chicago that are in decline are absolutely "sparsely populated," but even overall, from peak population to lowest point, Chicago "only" lost about 25% of its population, the vast majority of which was due to household size. Detroit, though, as a city, was decimated and lost over 60% of its population.
Obviously but even after losing a million people, it still is one of the biggest cities in the country and even at reduced numbers still is only a quarter short of a million. It's not a cohesive city like it used to be but by raw numbers is still a big city and a huge fraction of its metro population.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 10:54 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i consistently hear the "TX has the best Mexican food in the country and how can it not, its right next to the border!"
i've never really heard that. the BEST? it's generally los angeles that i hear...

chicago has a lot of decent mexican food, it's everywhere, unlike most of the rest of the midwest where decent mexican food is the exception and confined to certain neighborhoods for the most part. kansas city is kind of an exception.

texas is kind of the same way as a whole. there's tons of decent mexican food everywhere. houston is of course a premier international food powerhouse.

then theres tex-mex which is a different thread.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 1:35 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I wonder when the lines between Hispanic and non-Hispanic white will blur. Here in Texas, there is so much overlap and intermarriage, it's already started. Blacks and whites have largely not mixed but whites and Hispanics certainly have. You see pasty white people in Subaru's with last names like Gonzalez, Rodriguez, Lopez and so on.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Northern Mexico has easily the worst food in Mexico, so kind of a weird argument. The really interesting Mexican cuisines are all in the southern half of the country (Oaxaca, Puebla and the like).

The desert regions have very limited offerings and are known for such "fascinating" things as dried beef, burritos, flour and wheat products and off-color cheeses. Probably the only interesting stuff up north is the seafood in Sinaloa and Baja.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:38 PM
Pay it Forward

By now Asians may have surpassed Whites in the Bay Area's Alameda County making it the 2nd CA county after Santa Clara where Asians are the largest group.

Anyhow 2017 data:
Alameda County:
31.5% White
30.4% Asian
22.4% Hispanic
10.4% Black
5.2% Multiracial

Santa Clara County:
36.8% Asian
31.5% White
25.5% Hispanic
4.0% Multiracial
2.3% Black

Here are the 2 LA Metro Area(MSA) counties

Los Angeles County:
48.5% Hispanic
27.9% White
14.9% Asian
7.9% Black
3.0% Multiracial

Orange County:
44.2% White
34.1% Hispanic
20.5% Asian
1.5% Black
0.3% Multiracial

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:24 PM

I posted this in the Canada sub forum the other day. Most people assume being in Alberta in Western Canada, it would be a white city. But as per Stats Canada, the City of Edmonton is 38% viable minorities and 6% first nations (I believe in the US they are called Natives). With the remaining white population you can break that down further with 3% French (this is Canada so they are here), Ukrainians, Italians etc, it may be that there is no longer an English first languages white majority in the City of Edmonton.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:56 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^The other major Canadian cities outside of the Big 3 have definitely become more diverse especially over the past decade or so as the share of immigrants settling beyond the Big 3 have increased significantly.

In Honolulu the share of the Asian and non-Hispanic White population continues to decrease while the Hispanic, Multi-Racial, Black, Pacific Islander & even Native American share of the population have been increasing. As of 2017 the non-Hispanic White population was only 18.3% (down from 20% in 2000). Everyone is a minority there and in the state.

Years 2017 & 2000

Honolulu, M.S.A. 2017 <-2000

Asian alone: 43.0% <-46.0%
Two or More Races (multi-racial): 22.4% <-19.9%
White alone: 21.9% <-21.3%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 9.9% <-6.7%
Pacific Islander alone: 9.6% <-8.9%
Black or African American alone: 2.8% <-2.4%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 0.3% <-0.2%
(non-Hispanic) White: 18.3% <-20.0%

Hawaii 2017 <-2000

Asian: 37.8% <-41.6%
White: 25.7% <-24.3%
Two or More Races (multi-racial): 23.8% <-21.4%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 10.5% <-7.2%
Pacific Islander: 10.2% <-9.4%
Black or African American: 2.2% <-1.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone: 0.4% <-0.3%
(non-Hispanic) White: 21.9% <-23.3%

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:13 PM

Vietnamese in New Orleans. And in Philadelphia, Vietnamese and Cambodians, both of whom congregate in South Philly.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:10 PM

I have a new one. I went to Palm Springs for the first time last week. I expected it to be full of eccentric old white millionaires. I was surprised that there was a fairly substantial amount of non-whites, and also a substantial amount of people younger than 70.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I have a new one. I went to Palm Springs for the first time last week. I expected it to be full of eccentric old white millionaires. I was surprised that there was a fairly substantial amount of non-whites, and also a substantial amount of people younger than 70.
Definitely. Its a winter destination for canadian / north eastern snow birds, a year long home for elderly and gay men and a so cal vacation location in summer for people between 20 and 50

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
I posted this in the Canada sub forum the other day. Most people assume being in Alberta in Western Canada, it would be a white city. But as per Stats Canada, the City of Edmonton is 38% viable minorities and 6% first nations (I believe in the US they are called Natives). With the remaining white population you can break that down further with 3% French (this is Canada so they are here), Ukrainians, Italians etc, it may be that there is no longer an English first languages white majority in the City of Edmonton.
Edmonton's Italian population is tiny and I don't think very many Ukrainian Canadians in Edmonton speak Ukrainian anymore.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:40 PM

Ottawa has a strong Lebanese presence, which may surprise some people.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
a so cal vacation location in summer for people between 20 and 50
Seriously? Palm Springs? I have to flee even Tucson by May 1 every year (and return around Oct 15) and Tucson, at almost 3000 ft, is signficantly cooler than Palm Springs. That's too hot to even sit around a pool. What's a "vacation" about sitting inside with the A/C blasting? Admittedly, the southwest deserts are gorgeous in winter--that's why I have a place there--but summer?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Seriously? Palm Springs? I have to flee even Tucson by May 1 every year (and return around Oct 15) and Tucson, at almost 3000 ft, is signficantly cooler than Palm Springs. That's too hot to even sit around a pool. What's a "vacation" about sitting inside with the A/C blasting? Admittedly, the southwest deserts are gorgeous in winter--that's why I have a place there--but summer?
Ya its crazy but weekends are usually very busy in Palm Springs during the summer. Great tanning and drinking weather haha

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
For sure. I go to Las Vegas in June. Why?
1] Calif. is grey, cold and windy in June and
2] More entertainment options in Vegas due to the hot weather, sporting events like the NHL and NBA and all of the pools are open and the poolside events.

It's hot, but it's nice if you're alongside a pool with an ice cold beverage in hand.

I've also been to Palm Desert, CA in the June and thoroughly enjoyed it during that time as well.

It's an easier escape than going to Cabo, which I've also done during June.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:51 PM
Calgary Martindale

I pulled my post from the Statcan Canada thread
Calgary CMA 2016

The trend over time, is increasing diversity.
Population 1,374,650
Visible minority 34%

Calgary City 2016
Population 1,222,405
Visible minority 36%

Below was as far as I was able to drill down to my neighbourhood, NE Calgary. Very suburban and in the north, new, growing, and under development. Approximately 70% visible minority. This is the outlier, all other Calgary Federal electoral districts have a more even distribution.

Census Profile, 2016 Census
Calgary Skyview (Federal electoral district)

Visible minority population approximately 70%

Total - Visible minority for the population in private households

Population 135,110

Total visible Minority 93,910

South Asian 50,290

Chinese 5,220

Black 9,705

Filipino 13,040

Latin American 3,365

Arab 3,780

Southeast Asian 3,015

West Asian 2,535

Korean 230

Japanese 215

Not a visible minority

Even though the southern boundary extends into the SE, it's considered to be in the NE.

Census Profile, 2016 Census
Calgary Forest Lawn [Federal electoral district]

Visible minority population approximately 53%

Total population 111,100

Total visible minority 58,640

South Asian 12,740

Chinese 4,655

Black 9,285

Filipino 11,000

Latin American 2,775

Arab 6,665

Southeast Asian 7,465

West Asian 1,295

Korean 75

Japanese 95

Not a visible minority 52,465

Calgary Nose Hill
Population 115,560
Visible minority 47%

Calgary Rocky Ridge
Population 130,415
Visible minority 39%

Calgary Signal Hill
Population 120,005
Visible minority 29%

Calgary Heritage
Population 110,965
Visible minority 27%

Calgary Centre
Population 115,495
Visible minority 25%

Calgary Shepard
Population 146,680
Visible minority 25%

Calgary Confederation
Population 117,160
Visible minority 24%

Calgary Midnapore
Population 119,920
Visible minority 22%

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions