HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

is this trail around or near the big magnetic hills concert site? thats what a lot of music fan people like me know moncton for. i always wanted to go see a concert there.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
is this trail around or near the big magnetic hills concert site? thats what a lot of music fan people like me know moncton for. i always wanted to go see a concert there.
Nice to have a New Yorker visiting one of our threads.

If you are referring to the previous discussion about the Rabbit Brook Trail, the answer is no, it doesn't go anywhere near the Magnetic Hill Concert Site. There is another trail (the Northwest Trail) which terminates within about 250 metres of the entrance into the Magnetic Hill tourism site.

There is no actual concert planned for Magnetic Hill this year. Selena Gomez however will play the Moncton Stadium this Labour Day weekend with guests DNCE, Flo Rida, Francisco Yates and Shawn Hook. There are about 20,000 tickets available.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/selena-go...mber-1.2910454

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:42 PM

This was precisely why, even though it was a petition aimed at stopping the rezoning, the petition was the only legit and recordable objection to the hap-hazard way the City develops. It was never, for most of us a NIMBY view, it was about accountability. I have heard via friends that work at City Hall or Public Works, that Moncton doesn't want to be seen as hostile to developers. Therefore they tend to cater to the developer and then eat the negativity on the developers behalf through traffic congestion and wear and tear on roads not designed for the burdens of extra traffic (example: tanker trucks making low speed high weight turns onto an uncurbed and unsupported gravel shouldered parking lot). Roadways under-engineered for commercial traffic will quickly decay and collapse.

An example of this pandering: Currently there is a request to re-zone the commercial area across from the Coliseum on Killam (next to Millenium's intersection) into industrial. I scratch my head over that cause it seemed with the nice paved bike lanes/sidewalk, the Sports Fields, Centennial Park, the townhouse project off of Millenium, that the City was trying to spruce that part of the City up.

It was nice to see that Pellerin stand up for his riding and ask some pointed questions, but not nice to see the developer just about start rubbing his hands together when it became evident that the motion was going likely gonna pass and that he would only be accountable for work that may never come.

After knowing that the same resolve was supposed to happen with the Hampton Inn when it was approved in 2007 (9 years and no change), I am very disappointed that Council didn't press the pause button here.
Like I stated before, I was not opposed to development once infrastructure was in place, and still am not, but mind blowing when even after all the discussion, facts and actual data they still passed first reading, which essentially is the real hurdle for an applicant.

I am now praying to fabled Gods that the Province has a win-fall of $$$ (maybe the fiddlehead market will explode??) and they will jump right on that but in the mean time I think the Celtics will win the Stanley Cup first.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
An example of this pandering: Currently there is a request to re-zone the commercial area across from the Coliseum on Killam (next to Millenium's intersection) into industrial. I scratch my head over that cause it seemed with the nice paved bike lanes/sidewalk, the Sports Fields, Centennial Park, the townhouse project off of Millenium, that the City was trying to spruce that part of the City up.
That area was flipped from industrial to commercial years ago in order to encourage the use to change. It didn't... only the existing tenants were interested in using it. It is the only lot in that stretch along Killam that is not light industrial, it is said, so it is simply returning to that. It will have a fence and trees planted along Killam, though.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Two tidbits of Northwest Moncton news:

1)- The structural steel is now up for the mystery strip mall development next to Kim Long on Mountain Rd, across from Gorge Rd.
2)- There is finally a new tenant for the old OMG Market in the Valhalla Place strip mall on Mountain Rd. The Big Fish fish market has a sign up saying "opening soon".

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
2)- There is finally a new tenant for the old OMG Market in the Valhalla Place strip mall on Mountain Rd. The Big Fish fish market has a sign up saying "opening soon".
Their third location in the metro area, others being in Shediac and Dieppe blvd. Looks like they are doing well. Great to see for a local business!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Wave Swinger ride (the centrepiece at the old Crystal Palace) is now up and running at Magic Mountain. It looks pretty good, especially after dusk all lit up. I should have snapped a picture.

I'm sure you must get a great view over the city from the ride. It must be a lot more interesting than in its old location, stuck in the middle of an indoor amusement park.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Somewhat surprisingly, there is a second indoor trampoline park planned for greater Moncton.

Get Air Trampoline Park is planned for 68 DesBrisay Ave in the Moncton Industrial Park West.

https://www.facebook.com/Get-Air-Mon...5340241219148/

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Is there enough business out there for two trampoline parks in Moncton? This will certainly take business away from the Sky Zone trampoline park in the Champlain Plaza in Dieppe........

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:07 AM
I have no Title

Quote:
Somewhat surprisingly, there is a second indoor trampoline park planned for greater Moncton.

Get Air Trampoline Park is planned for 68 DesBrisay Ave in the Moncton Industrial Park West.

https://www.facebook.com/Get-Air-Mon...5340241219148/

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Is there enough business out there for two trampoline parks in Moncton? This will certainly take business away from the Sky Zone trampoline park in the Champlain Plaza in Dieppe........
Agreed, they are doing the same thing as they did with the mystery rooms thing. I would think they would wait to see how one gets off the ground before opening a second one. (Pun Intended)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 4:01 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
Agreed, they are doing the same thing as they did with the mystery rooms thing. I would think they would wait to see how one gets off the ground before opening a second one. (Pun Intended)
Agreed 100%...there would be a much better chance of survival if they built at magnetic Hill and had this plus indoor mini golf etc.

Out in an industrial Park is quite odd...may explain the new restaurant going out there that MonctonRad mentioned a while ago.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo of the new mystery strip mall at Mountain & Gorge next to Kim Long:

source: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=58109652

It appears that it will contain five units. Also, from the way that some of the interior partitions are being installed, I presume that some tenants are already lined up.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Photo of the new mystery strip mall at Mountain & Gorge next to Kim Long:

source: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=58109652

It appears that it will contain five units. Also, from the way that some of the interior partitions are being installed, I presume that some tenants are already lined up.
Looks like I might have had a proper prediction it looks like it will be 7 units. Great to see an update since I'm not up in those parts much.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 2:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting to see that they are building three portable classrooms at Ecole du Sommet on Ryan Street. The friggin school is only two years old. The situation therefore mirrors what happened at Northrup Frye School (also on Ryan Street) a couple of years ago when that school was also about two years old.

The province has already agreed to rectify the situation on the anglophone side by building yet another new school in the northwest end (the third anglophone school in the neighbourhood, maybe starting next year). Does this mean that there may be another francophone school in the neighbourhood in the next few years too???

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Interesting to see that they are building three portable classrooms at Ecole du Sommet on Ryan Street. The friggin school is only two years old. The situation therefore mirrors what happened at Northrup Frye School (also on Ryan Street) a couple of years ago when that school was also about two years old.

The province has already agreed to rectify the situation on the anglophone side by building yet another new school in the northwest end (the third anglophone school in the neighbourhood, maybe starting next year). Does this mean that there may be another francophone school in the neighbourhood in the next few years too???
Spoke to someone who works for District 1, and it seems there is no school is written/drawn in stone but they have penciled in some plans because they are trying to avoid portables having to be used. Hence why they had Built the New St Bernadette in Moncton's West end was to rid themselves of those portables have portables. It seems the Province might not have been thinking clearly when they planned out the new schools.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 12:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think the Canadel Factory Store at Hastings ridge has opened. The wrapping is off the windows and the store appears set up.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
It seems the Province might not have been thinking clearly when they planned out the new schools.
That's certainly a given!! They were not thinking clearly regarding almost all of the schools in metro Moncton in the last 10 years.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton city council gave formal approval last night to the Holiday Inn & Suites project on Mapleton just north of the TCH.

This was a relatively rushed approval process to allow the developer to begin work. Expect shovels in the ground within a month or so.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Moncton city council gave formal approval last night to the Holiday Inn & Suites project on Mapleton just north of the TCH.

This was a relatively rushed approval process to allow the developer to begin work. Expect shovels in the ground within a month or so.
Yet another huge development, but in a very unfortunate location. Even on Lady Ada would have been much better. I wonder how many of the proposed buildings will get built this year.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 12:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Yet another huge development, but in a very unfortunate location. Even on Lady Ada would have been much better. I wonder how many of the proposed buildings will get built this year.
Agreed.

No matter how much the city and the province wants to ignore the situation, they will have to completely redo the Mapleton/TCH intersection sometime in the next few years.

My understanding of this project is:
1) Holiday Inn - construction beginning this fall
2) Gas bar/convenience store - construction next year
2) restaurant pads - construction in 2018

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

2) restaurant pads - construction in 2018
Unless Cordova pulled the rug from under them!

There might be quite a bit of competition here I think

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces