HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 12:49 PM
The Salty Ham

Sloss definitely needs that. I remember my mom taking me and a friend many years ago as it was a stop on a tour for people called "Birmingham After Dark" and how cold it was and we were outside walking around the place. A nice toasty warm visitor center would've been nice. I don't remember seeing any ghosts though...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:27 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Don Logan stepped in and fixed the whole B&A situation. The stadium will be built around the warehouse and this thing can finally move forward. It's nice to see some corporate leadership.

Link

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:30 PM

Is the ballpark associated in any way with the new Westin and associated entertainment district ?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is the ballpark associated in any way with the new Westin and associated entertainment district ?
They are several blocks apart. What you are referring to is north of I-59/20 adjacent to the BJCC. The new ballpark will be south of the railroad tracks and the block immediately south of Railroad Park.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingyak View Post
They are several blocks apart. What you are referring to is north of I-59/20 adjacent to the BJCC. The new ballpark will be south of the railroad tracks and the block immediately south of Railroad Park.
Thanks, and so much the better that Birmingham is getting two entertainment nodes in this development cycle.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:20 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

A few good restaurant announcements...

Chick-fil-a opened at 5 Points South... woot woot!

Waffle House signed a lease for a prominent spot at 5 Points South too... woot!

Oh yeah... lot's of new local restaurants announced in 5 Points South and Lakeview.

Quote:
Resurgence on tap for Lakeview district
Construction starting on long-awaited $15M complex 29 Seven
October 7, 2011, 5:00am CDT

Ryan Poe
Birmingham Business Journal

After years of polishing and improving the Lakeview district, boosters say they’re beginning to reap the economic benefits.

The mixed-use apartment and retail complex 29 Seven, which was originally proposed in 2007, is expected to kickstart a flurry of changes and has already attracted several new eateries...
Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Road Construction, Road Construction, Road Construction, Road Construction, Road Construction,

EVERYWHERE!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 1:17 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Riverchase Galleria

The Hoover City Council approved $25million in tax incentives for a $60-$90 million renovation at the Riverchase Galleria. The renovation includes a Von Maur's department store in place of the former Macy's and converting the Winfrey into a Hyatt. Additional renovations includes improving the parking deck and landscaping among other cosmetic improvements. Yay.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:08 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Intermodal Transportation Facility Plans Complete

What.?. Could it be we may see some movement on the intermodal transportation facility?

Plans include demolishing the copper dome and replacing with glass structures on both corners. Plans also include a clock and a replica of the "Birmingham - The Magic City" sign.

Bell is determined to get that sign somewhere... and well... the train station is where it was originally. I like the idea.

Quote:
Plans for Birmingham's new transit hub call for demolition of sections

Published: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 5:30 AM
Updated: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 6:43 AM

By Joseph D. Bryant
The Birmingham News

Architectural plans for Birmingham's new intermodal transportation facility are complete and include demolishing both the Amtrak station and the 12-year-old, copper-domed Birmingham Jefferson County Transit Authority station and replacing them with two glass-fronted buildings and a plaza on Morris Avenue.
Link

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 6:23 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Expanded Birmingham airport to include environmental innovations

Stan Diel
Birmingham News
Thursday, October 20, 2011
Link

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- You'll be able to flush with a clear conscience at the new Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport.

The airport, which is undergoing a $201 million expansion and renovation, will capture rainwater from the terminal roof and hold it in three, 15,000-gallon reservoirs, Brasfield & Gorrie project manager Jeff Hart said Wednesday.

That water will be used to flush toilets in the new facility. Based on rainfall expectations, the airport is unlikely to have to tap into public water supplies for flushing, he said.

The use of rainwater isn't the only environmental innovation that will be incorporated in the new airport. The new concourses will include skylights, called "roof monitors," that will capture sunlight and direct it inside. Light fixtures will be connected to sensors, and will automatically brighten or dim to maintain consistent illumination as natural light changes.

The expansion and renovation will be done in stages and is expected to be completed in 2014. After it's completed the new terminal is expected to be awarded Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, Silver certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. Because of the environmental innovations the airport's utility bills likely will remain about the same despite the much larger footprint of the new structure, Hart said.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 6:37 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Stan Diel
Birmingham News
Thursday, October 20, 2011
Link
I'm actually sad I'll never get to fly out of it

Old Posted Oct 22, 2011, 9:45 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Never... Ever?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 1:13 PM

Funding for Birmingham baseball park complete this evening
by Joseph D. Bryant -- The Birmingham News
Published: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 7:01 PM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Financing for a downtown Birmingham baseball park and museum is complete following $64 million in loans signed this evening, The Birmingham News has learned. [...]

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 11:24 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I am a bit disappointed they cannot position the stadium for a skyline view. I understand the positioning is due to MLB's recommendations. I guess we get a UAB skyline view!

Super Excited to see construction start!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Children's is impressive! How does everyone feel about the lighting feature on the exterior of the building?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 11:26 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

You know... there's a lot of cool things going on around town. We need to start talking.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
I am a bit disappointed they cannot position the stadium for a skyline view. I understand the positioning is due to MLB's recommendations. I guess we get a UAB skyline view!

Super Excited to see construction start!
Quote:
Children's is impressive! How does everyone feel about the lighting feature on the exterior of the building?
Quote:
You know... there's a lot of cool things going on around town. We need to start talking.
Dang Bravo you're talkative! I too was dissappointed about the view from the stadium, but the UAB skyline would rival many cities' skylines that have a lot fewer people than Birmingham. Also, the Southside is probably the future of the Birmigham skyline due to height restrictions. Still though...

I like the lighting on Childrens'. That is, as long as we're talking about the same thing. Either way, that building has made a positive impact on the city's skyline.

We really do need to start talking more. Birmingham has been seeing more positive news lately than it has in the past decade, maybe.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:10 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
I like the lighting on Childrens'. That is, as long as we're talking about the same thing. Either way, that building has made a positive impact on the city's skyline.
I'm talking about the vertical accents that are all different colors. They look really cool at night. So far I've only seen the building with the accents illuminated and none of the building lights on - I'm curious to see how well they are visible once the lights are on in the windows. My wife and I attended the Children's Gala a few weeks ago and the light blinked/danced with the holiday music. It was sweet!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:11 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I noticed this week that the you can see the Westin rising off I-20/59. That's gonna be a nice addition to the skyline from 20/59 West bound.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 11:23 PM

The airport project seems to be going up nicely. The frame is already up for the new terminal B.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast