HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
What is the stance is at TransLink regarding keeping even a lone two-car set parked somewhere at OMC but owned by the TRAMS society? The SkyTrain is a bit more demanding in where it can run compared to a trolley bus.
Perhaps truck one out to FVHR and have one of the interuban drag it around

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawe View Post
I'd like to think that they'd keep a set of Mark Is around after they're retired and haul it out for special events and things
Yeah, like when Prince Charles becomes King and visits Vancouver, we can make him ride in the one he rode in with Princes Di at Expo. See if we can make him cry.

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2011/01/s...rain-and-more/

Car 14 apparently.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I could totally see someone dropping a train in an empty lot, attaching utilities and a kitchen on the backside and opening it as "The Bar Car"
We had that at my high school, but it was a mainline rail car so quite a bit bigger and it was the school pub.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Yeah, like when Prince Charles becomes King and visits Vancouver, we can make him ride in the one he rode in with Princes Di at Expo. See if we can make him cry.

Car 14 apparently.
Making Charles cry or not will not be the main problem. It is whether Camilla Parker Bowles Windsor will be able to get inside the train. The cars may not be large enough for horses.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 8:13 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
We had that at my high school, but it was a mainline rail car so quite a bit bigger and it was the school pub.
You had a school pub in high school??

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:

Car 14 apparently.
Doesn't that one have a plaque inside it commemorating that? I'm pretty sure I've seen another Mk I car with a plaque commemorating the King and Queen of Sweden, or some other European country...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
You had a school pub in high school??
Yeah, I went to boarding school in Germany for grades 11 and 12 where the legal drinking age is 16 (for beer and wine).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
There was an old street car converted into a drive in restaurant at the top of my street in Penticton when I was a kid. It was called the Red Racer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I went to boarding school in Germany for grades 11 and 12 where the legal drinking age is 16 (for beer and wine).
Alberta's legal drinking age is 18. So some grade 12 students would be drinking age over there.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTDGT View Post
There was an old street car converted into a drive in restaurant at the top of my street in Penticton when I was a kid. It was called the Red Racer.
There used to be a restaurant at 82nd and Scott Road in Surrey (The Owl and the Engineer if you want to look it up) that had some old train cars. Sadly they've been gone for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Alberta's legal drinking age is 18. So some grade 12 students would be drinking age over there.
It's checker boarded across the country - Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec all have 18 as their legal drinking age (19 everywhere else).

As a transit fantasy, I'd like to see something less Vancouver-centric and more about moving people from one area to the next without having to travel through Vancouver to get there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:16 AM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Indeed! Most of them are stunning! Unfortunately, Vancouver does not have the hinterland of commuting suburbs, nor the network of neighbouring cities to justify such.
Waterfront Station, though relatively quiet, is nice, too, though.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:26 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Surprised Birmingham New Street made the list! Just wanted to clarify, Birmingham New Street is also the city centre's mall Grand Central, and the beautiful parts of the "station" are actually the mall itself, less so the rail part of the facility.

I do think New York's is amazing and I'm not a really big fan of Calatrava's work. That being said, it may be an architectural icon, but it isn't the most functional. They now require many full-time cleaners (thus increasing OPEX) because marble was used for a lot of the flooring in platforms (which is slippery when it rains!). Figures...

And yes we may not have the most stunning train station, but I'd like to also point out these are generally big rail hubs. A lot of these cities also have ridiculously simple stations no different than Vancouver's bus stops really. Case example, Duddeston not far from Birmingham New Street.

Source: America Pink

My point is, I think in general, all of Vancouver's stations are generally built to a spec that is higher than what you would see in many transport systems around the world. We might not have the best, but as a whole, we are definitely better than many.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
As a transit fantasy, I'd like to see something less Vancouver-centric and more about moving people from one area to the next without having to travel through Vancouver to get there.
Perhaps, then, take inspiration from this Parisian planned mega megaproject:

http://www.iledefrance.fr/sites/defa...ris_01.jpg.jpg

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:

We're already on the way to the build-out of the New West - Coquitlam segment of "T-Line" which - in theory - provides connections between Surrey (south of Fraser) and Coquitlam (north of Fraser).

East -west between Richmond and Surrey is tougher because of the ALR.
Best option for a low frequency DMU along the Kent Ave railway tracks through Big Bend to New Westminster.

By comparison, Toronto doesn't have a line (or combination of lines) connecting the ends of the Yonge Line and the Spadina Line (nor the Danforth Line) between suburbs across the top (north) of Metro Toronto (Sheppard Line stops short).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
This update is partially in response to your idea of less Vancouver-centric transit. Here are two examples of where my transit fantasy either closely or does meet with your idea's expectation.

Start Point: Maple Ridge near Haney Place; Destination: Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal
  • Take Millennium Line at Haney Place westbound to Brentwood Town Centre (via Coquitlam Central and Lougheed Town Centre)
  • Transfer to the Crosstown Line at Brentwood Town Centre northbound to Willingdon
  • Continue northbound, then westbound on the North Shore Line to Dundarave (via Riverside and Park Royal Centre)
  • Transfer to a westbound bus to reach the ferry terminal
Start Point: SFU on Burnaby Mountain; Destination: Steveston in Richmond
  • Take SFU Gondola westbound to Burnaby Mountain (station)
  • Transfer to the Hastings Line at Burnaby Mountain westbound to Willingdon
  • Transfer to the Crosstown Line at Willingdon southbound to Oakridge-41st
  • Transfer to the Canada Line at Oakridge-41st southbound to Seafair
  • Transfer to a southbound bus to reach Steveston
  • Note: this route does pass through southern Vancouver between Central Park station on the Crosstown Line thru to south of the Marine Drive station on the Canada Line
So you'll notice that there are a few, key, new lines that make bypassing Vancouver (especially the downtown core) possible, the Crosstown Line, the North Shore Line, and to some extent the eastern portion of the Hastings Line. And yes, I know there are no direct SkyTrain connections between Richmond and Surrey, without having to go north and pass through New West and the southern parts of Burnaby and Vancouver – I've left it like this due to the sparseness of that area (it would probably be better served by a different mode of mass transit).

----------

Revised version (2.2) of my transit fantasy map:

Updated version below: Version 2.4

Revised details for updated lines (including 2.1 updates):

Evergreen Extension (Millennium Line) (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Additional extension is now part of extended future and proceeds from existing Lafarge Lake-Douglas terminus to Burke Mountain

Poco-Ridge Meadows Extension (Millennium Line) (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Last two stops and track connecting them (232nd Street, Cottonwood) are now part of extended future.

Hastings Line (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Begins elevated at a station just east of Duthie Avenue on Hastings Street (Burnaby Mountain)
- Proceeds elevated west along Hastings Street
- Has elevated stations at Sperling Avenue, Holdom Avenue (Holdom-Fellburn), Willingdon Avenue (intersects with North Shore Line's southeastern terminus and Crosstown Line's northeastern terminus), Gilmore Avenue (Burnaby Heights), Kootenay Loop at Kootenay Street, Renfrew Street (Renfrew-PNE), Nanaimo Street (Nanaimo-Pandora), McLean Drive, and Hawks Avenue (Strathcona)
- Enters a tunnel portal west of Hawks Avenue (Strathcona station)
- Proceeds tunneled under Hastings Street, then Beatty Street, and finally West Georgia Street
  • Proceeds tunneled to Carrall Street
  • Turns southwest and proceeds to intersect with Stadium-Chinatown station (below)
  • Turns northwest, crossing under Beatty Street
  • Proceeds tunneled northwest under West Georgia Street
  • Continues under Lions Gate Bridge Road/Stanley Park Causeway
- Has subway stations at Main Street (Main Street-Chinatown), northeast of Beatty Street & Dunsmuir Street intersection (Stadium-Chinatown), Granville Street & West Georgia Street intersection (Vancouver City Centre), Jervis Street, Denman Street, and North Lagoon Drive & Pipeline Road (Stanley Park-Aquarium)
- Transitions through a tunnel portal to being elevated before Stanley Park Drive in northern part of Stanley Park
- Proceeds elevated to Taylor Way terminus
  • Continues elevated north-northeast and crosses Burrard Inlet (exact details unknown - could be next to Lions Gate Bridge or possible as a second deck on the Lions Gate Bridge (refitted or replaced bridge)
  • Turns northwest to join the rail line (north of the Lions Gate Wastewater Plant)
  • Turns northeast just before crossing the Capilano River
  • Proceeds northeast along/next to Capilano Pacific Trail/Spirit Trail to terminus on Taylor Way (Park Royal Centre)
- Merges into the North Shore Line at Park Royal Centre

North Shore Line (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Begins elevated at a station at 25th Street in West Vancouver
- Proceeds elevated east along Marine Drive, then 3rd Street, Forbes Avenue, Esplanade Avenue, back to 3rd Street, Cotton Road, Main Street, and Dollarton Highway
  • Turns slightly south at 13th Street to cross through Ambleside Park then follow the edge of the park next to Park Royal Centre
  • Turns northeast to join with end of [b]Hastings Line[b] at Taylor Way
  • Turns east after Park Royal Centre and crosses Capilano River
  • Follows Marine Drive, then 3rd Street
  • Turns south onto Forbes Avenue
  • Turns southeast onto Esplanade Avenue
  • Turns slightly north between St Andrews Avenue and St Patricks Avenue
  • Crosses over to rejoin 3rd Street
  • Continues along/above 3rd Street, then Cotton Road, Main Street, and Dollarton Highway
- Splits at Riverside Drive with one branch turning south to intersect with Willingdon station terminus (above Hastings Line station) and the other branch turning northeast
  • Turns south after Riverside Drive and crosses Burrard Inlet from Forester Street
  • Joins with Willingdon Avenue
  • Continues south to Hastings Street and intersects with Willingdon station terminus (above the Hastings Line)
  • Line continues as Crosstown Line after Willingdon, south above Willingdon Avenue
- Northeast branch (extended future) proceeds elevated along Mount Seymour Parkway towards Mount Seymour Road terminus
  • Departs from Dollarton Highway at Forester Street and joins Mount Seymour Parkway at Browning Place
  • Continues elevated along Mount Seymour Parkway to terminus at Mount Seymour Road
- Has elevated stations at 25th Street (Dundarave), 22nd Street (West Vancouver), 15th Street (Ambleside), Taylor Way (Park Royal Centre), Capilano Road (Grouse), Pemberton Avenue, Hanes Avenue (Capilano Mall), Rogers Avenue (Lonsdale Quay), Queensbury Avenue, Brooksbank Avenue, Phibbs Exchange at Highway 1 (Phibbs-University), Riverside Drive, Hastings Street & Willingdon Avenue (Willingdon), Browning Place (Hogans Pools-Browning), McCartney Lane & Tollcross Road (McCartney-Windsor), and Mount Seymour Road

Crosstown Line (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Alignment revised between Central Park and Clarendon stations:
  • Continues west under Imperial Street and stays on same course until turning north on Kerr Avenue
  • Has station at intersection with 49th Avenue
  • Continues north under Kerr and stays on same course until turning west on 41st Avenue
  • Has station just west of intersection with Rupert Street
Maple-Langley Line (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Alignment revised between Langley Sportsplex and Events Centre-Willoughby stations:
  • Continues south from Langley Sportsplex and shifts slightly east
  • Crosses Highway 1 approx. halfway between 200th Street and the point where the 200th Street on/offramps meet with Highway 1
  • Joins 201st Street and follows it until station at 86th Avenue (Carvolth-86th)
  • Shifts westward to rejoin 200th Street
Richmond Extension (Canada Line) (SkyTrain, EMU)
- Proceeds elevated south alongside No. 3 Road
- Turns west onto Francis Road
- Continues west until terminus as No. 1 Road as Seafair station
- Has elevated stations at Granville Avenue (Richmond City Hall), Blundell Road, Gilbert Road, No. 2 Road, Railway Avenue, and No. 1 Road (Seafair)

- It should be noted that this extension will require construction to dual track from Lansdowne to Richmond-Brighouse and also to expand the Richmond-Brighouse station to serve the dual tracks
- A station may be needed near the corner of Francis and No. 3 Road but was not included in this version (would have to either be north or west of the intersection due to the curvature of the tracks)

Abbotsford Line (SkyTrain, LIM)
- Begins elevated on King Road at College Drive (next to Abbotsford Centre, formerly known as the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre)
- Proceeds in a general northwest direction along King Road, the King Connector, Highway 1, Ware Street, Bourquin Crescent, South Fraser Way, Highway 1 again, intersects with the Aldergrove Line at Highstreet and finally proceeds south on Mount Lehman Road to Tradex and the Abbotsford Airport
  • Follows King Road west and turns northwest onto the King Connector
  • Passes next to the southern roundabout at McCallum and Highway 1 and joins the green median of Highway 1
  • Continues along Highway 1, then turns north to follow Ware Street, turning northwest to follow Bourquin Crescent, and turning west to follow South Fraser Way
  • Follows South Fraser Way until just after Peardonville Road where it rejoins the green median of Highway 1
  • Shifts slightly north crossing the Fraser Highway to meet with Aldergrove Line Highstreet station
  • Continues by turning south of the Aldergrove Line, crossing over the Fraser Highway overpass, and joining Mount Lehman Road heading south
  • Proceeds south along Mount Lehman Road until shifting slightly east onto Cornell Street and terminating at Aviator Drive (between Tradex and the YXX Terminal)
- Has elevated stations at College Drive (Abbotsford Centre-UFV), Marshall Road (Marshall-Hospital), Bourquin Exchange (Sevenoaks-Bourquin), Emerson Street (West Oaks-Emerson), Adelaide Street (Abbotsford City Hall), Clearbrook Road, Peardonville Road at South Fraser Way (approx. at the existing Eastbound South Fraser at Peardonville bus stop), Highstreet, and Aviator Drive (YXX-Tradex)

Additional Notes
- With the relocation of Lonsdale Quay station nearer to the Lonsdale Quay Bus Loop, the SeaBus could still continue to connect Lonsdale Quay with Waterfront
- Some station names have been revised along the UBC Extension, the Crosstown Line, and the Maple-Langley Line

Updated version below: Version 2.4

Last edited by sweetnhappy; Apr 20, 2016 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
The City of Vancouver proposals for the Waterfront hub were pretty spectacular for a transit only hub. It's easy to justify lavish spending on a station when many of the people passing through are paying far more than transit fares. Heck, people pay $20 for the privileged of going through YVR (and it shows). But when it comes to Transit, you have to work within a budget.

Even as it is, Waterfront station is beautiful, and the best Transit hub in Canada. Smaller, but much better looking than Union station in Toronto. And Montreal's Central station looks like a box for a ferret with air holes poked in it; even their major crossroads station (Berri-UQAM) is just a little box above ground no more eye catching than the entrance to City Center Station.

Having a more open foyer between Seabus, WCE and Skytrain would really nail it though.

But I also can't help but imagine what could have been.

Right next Waterfront station (the 3rd CPR station) was the 2nd CPR station, which replaced the 1st station after only 10 years. The 2nd station only lasted 15 years, but it was pretty much a castle. Imagine seeing this at the foot of Granville street next to today's station:
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/c...n-at-vancouver
Granted, they did tear that down in about 1915 to make way for a ramp to the steamship terminal so that's a lot of backtracking.
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/p...n-demolition-2

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/u...eaa-A25336.jpg

An even better opportunity was lost when the tore down the Great Northern's Union Station on Station street (next to Pacific Central) in 1965 to be replaced by an empty field (until this day).

Before you say we don't need 2 stations, Pacific Central is used by Via, Amtrak and Bus service. It is busy (or small) enough that it forced out the Rocky Mountaineer a decade ago. The two stations could have been connected by a modern structure and service distributed between the 2.

This is what it looked like:
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/u...f1c-A08932.jpg

This shows how close together they were:
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/e...on-main-street

Imagine a nice glass structure connecting the two stations. All combined it would have had plenty of room for buses, Via, Amtrak, and tourist trains, as well as shops and services.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:13 AM

Quote:
The City of Vancouver proposals for the Waterfront hub were pretty spectacular for a transit only hub. It's easy to justify lavish spending on a station when many of the people passing through are paying far more than transit fares. Heck, people pay $20 for the privileged of going through YVR (and it shows). But when it comes to Transit, you have to work within a budget.

Even as it is, Waterfront station is beautiful, and the best Transit hub in Canada. Smaller, but much better looking than Union station in Toronto. And Montreal's Central station looks like a box for a ferret with air holes poked in it; even their major crossroads station (Berri-UQAM) is just a little box above ground no more eye catching than the entrance to City Center Station.
Oh no worries - I know that transit-only stations aren't going to be architectural jewels. It would be nice if TransLink would think about making the architecture of Skytrain stations nicer instead of paying money to put an art piece in / next to a plain square box.

For example I love the ceiling they put in the Haag Central Station in the Netherlands. It would be spectacular if they could incorporate something like that into the Gilmore Station development.

Apt description of Montreal's Central station

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnhappy View Post
(snip)
VERY nice job - especially with naming the stations.

Still, perhaps have a separate line running from Riverside to Metrotown to the River District, in place of the Crosstown/North Shore Lines? The way it is, anyone going to or from North Van automatically has to transfer at Willingdon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnhappy View Post
This update is partially in response to your idea of less Vancouver-centric transit. Here are two examples of where my transit fantasy either closely or does meet with your idea's expectation.

So you'll notice that there are a few, key, new lines that make bypassing Vancouver (especially the downtown core) possible, the Crosstown Line, the North Shore Line, and to some extent the eastern portion of the Hastings Line. And yes, I know there are no direct SkyTrain connections between Richmond and Surrey, without having to go north and pass through New West and the southern parts of Burnaby and Vancouver – I've left it like this due to the sparseness of that area (it would probably be better served by a different mode of mass transit).
I've been looking at your map in some detail. While it does allow more travel outside of Vancouver, that's still where the emphasis is. *sigh*

A few notes:

The planned Hastings B Line in Vancouver only has one stop between Main and Nanaimo (Commericial, a major street, vs Strathcona and McLean). That section has many (too many?) local buses.

The Fraser Hwy Lines are missing a planned stop at 148th and have *a lot* of Langley stops.

Newton Exchange is planned to be moved to 71st and King George (where an open field is now). That small paved loop is for buses when the exchange is full.

Personally I think you're putting in too many lines as Skytrain, when some of the further out areas "would probably be better served by a different mode of mass transit". Commuter rail, light rail (not mixed in with traffic down the middle of the street) and B Line routes would adequately service some areas for decades to come - Skytrain would be overkill (and I Skytrain).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure