HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:55 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I believe most homeless are NOT mentally ill (although some may have substance abuse issues). Most just can't afford rents.
Once again, this is simply not true. Here in Kansas City there are cheap and affordable apartments up the kazoo, and yet we still have plenty of homeless.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 12:47 AM

some people want to be hermits. but that's pretty rare people go live in a forest away from the city. Can't live that way easy. Only recently humans have lived in cities. I've left the city a bunch because I didn't like it that much.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira Ju View Post
The least thing cities could do is provide safe places where homeless can camp, with restrooms and showers, and security.
People who fail to succeed usually get stopped by frustration. All succesful people learn that success is buried on the other side of frustration. Unfortunately, some people don’t get to the other side.
I agree completely. There are plenty of vacant lots, some owned by the cities, in and around most cities where homeless campgrounds could be set up. Mayor Garcetti of L.A. said some churches are letting homeless camp in parking lots. The most likely areas would be in industrial areas, since most residents would fight against these campgrounds in residential areas. Tent campgrounds could be set up, with showers etc. & security & counseling services. In Santa Ana, DTLA, & S.F. there are homeless units being made of shipping containers which don't look bad at all. All this could be achieved with minimal public money. Many Walmarts allow people in RVs, campers & cars to stay in their parking lots for a while as long as they shop there.

Happy 4th of July to all the Americans out there!

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 4, 2017 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Once again, this is simply not true. Here in Kansas City there are cheap and affordable apartments up the kazoo, and yet we still have plenty of homeless.
What may seem "cheap and affordable"--say $500/month for a 1 bedroom in K.C. (& over $1500 in SF, LA, SD)--may not be so cheap when they require 1st & last month's rent + a security deposit. They also may run a credit check. Some people are completely shut out by low income, unemployment, medical issues, bad credit or past mistakes. Housing is not as accessible as it used to be, and not enough is being built. Demand rises, but is unmet by supply.

I don't deny that many people are homeless because of problems they might have, like substance abuse or lack of initiative. But I believe increasingly hard working people are becoming homeless because of a sheer lack of affordable housing units. The market is not working to meet demand. Until this housing is built interim solutions like more shelter beds and urban campgrounds with restrooms, showers and security should be provided by a public/private partnership.

I wonder how much of the bizarre behavior of some homeless is due to sleep deprivation, poor nutrition and the terrible conditions they live in? When your life is miserable and hopeless people may see drugs and alcohol as an escape. Society should give them hope & a way out if they want to get out of their mess, as I'm pretty sure most do. It must be miserable to be homeless and probably only a small percent willingly choose that life.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 6, 2017 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:05 AM
Never Dell

Obviously if rent is 1/3 the amount that should contribute to reducing homelessness. And obviously that works better for the sane than the insane or messed up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions