HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 4:57 AM

Judging by Zen's prints, it's all imperial.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 2:11 PM

another thing is that its hieght is 1,776 feet, not metres, so i'm guessing its imperial.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innsertnamehere View Post
another thing is that its hieght is 1,776 feet, not metres, so i'm guessing its imperial.
Too bad. 1776 meters would have been something to behold.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Too bad. 1776 meters would have been something to behold.
imagine if it were 1776 meters tall it would be 5,328 feet high. that would have been a masssive building of epic porportions. thats like 3 freedom towers combined.

Last edited by Domamania; Mar 15, 2010 at 3:52 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 4:46 PM

Red Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domamania View Post
one quick question why is the steel from the office floors are not red like the base floors of the tower?
Thanks for asking this question, as I've been wondering about this for months.

Quote:
The red paint is intumescent fire proofing, the unpainted steel well get spray on fire proofing ( basically a layer of cement sprayed onto the steel).

A BLANKET OF INSULATION
Intumescent coatings start turning to insulating foam at a temperature of 300°F - less than a hundred
degrees higher than boiling water. The heat sensitive ingredients in the smooth coating react and froth
up into a foam containing millions of tiny hollow cells. The expansion incredibly rapid. What was once
a smooth, decorative surface turns into a thick protective layer of insulation.
And thanks Zensteeldude for your clear and thorough explanation.

So MY question is - if the fireproofing on the base is meant to be "a smooth decorative surface" , it will be visible behind the glass panels that will be attached to the facade. Is this correct?

If this is so, I have never seen it (the red steel) in any renders to date (except the drawing posted recently).

Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 5:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Jantine vH

Deuling towers..

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 5:32 PM
World Machine

When trying to get a grasp of the size of the building in comparison to its neighbors, the key is the angle you are looking at it from. From the angle above, it’s clear that it fits in just fine.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 9:14 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
This is a very basic question - was this building designed with the metric or imperial system? Obviously we convert figures either way, but are the blue prints imperial or metric?
As uaarkson stated all the prints are in imperial units. Even the German elevator manufacturer has to submit prints in imperial units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Thanks for asking this question, as I've been wondering about this for months.

And thanks Zensteeldude for your clear and thorough explanation.

So MY question is - if the fireproofing on the base is meant to be "a smooth decorative surface" , it will be visible behind the glass panels that will be attached to the facade. Is this correct?

If this is so, I have never seen it (the red steel) in any renders to date (except the drawing posted recently).

Thanks in advance.
Intumescent paint is almost always exposed to view on the finished product, but not in this case. It was used on the mechanical floors to allow the column covers to be as close fitting as possible.

Column covers are just sheet metal wrappers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
When trying to get a grasp of the size of the building in comparison to its neighbors, the key is the angle you are looking at it from. From the angle above, it’s clear that it fits in just fine.
I find it useful to look at pics of the Twins to get a feel for the scale of Tower One, it is only a few feet smaller in footprint and well be the same hight, minus the spire.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Mar 15, 2010 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 9:18 PM
Honored Member

someone hid the delete button

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:06 AM
(insert title here)

This building is growing on me (no pun intended). Silly question... why is it listed as 108 floors when it's only 80ish? Or did I miss something?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man View Post
This building is growing on me (no pun intended). Silly question... why is it listed as 108 floors when it's only 80ish? Or did I miss something?
To try and make people feel like it isn't a downgrade from the original.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:34 AM

Ok seriously guys, as Zen put it, its just a number on an elevator button, almost every other building does it, (when was the last time you stayed on the 13th floor of a hotel). The base is about the equivalent of a 20 story building, and so it is numbered accordingly, even though floors 7-19 don't exist.

The average Joe doesn't think of a building as how many feet it is, (except for this one), but by how many stories it has. To say this building only has 80 or so stories would just be deceptive to the average person, based on how tall the building actually is.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:42 AM
(insert title here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Ok seriously guys, as Zen put it, its just a number on an elevator button, almost every other building does it, (when was the last time you stayed on the 13th floor of a hotel). The base is about the equivalent of a 20 story building, and so it is numbered accordingly, even though floors 7-19 don't exist. Seriously, it's just a number on a button.
I've always been an odd ball on this issue. I care more about the actual number of stories and the square footage than the height of the building. Thanks for answering my question though.

Since we're on the topic, anyone know what is the total square footage of the new WTC complex (WTC 1-7)?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:03 AM
Honored Member

14,200,000 square feet and Tower One well have 92 actual floors, or floors an elevator can actually stop at.

That's about 1 million square feet more the the origonal WTC had.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:35 AM
(insert title here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
14,200,000 square feet and Tower One well have 92 actual floors, or floors an elevator can actually stop at.

Thanks!! I was under the false impression that it would have be a lot less. I use to be extremely anti-Freedom Tower, but I'm really starting to like it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post

Is that just the towers or does it include all the underground space as well? (Memorial, parking, VSC etc.)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man View Post
The breakdown is given on the first page. It's always best to check the first page if you haven't been following a development.

Busy morning...(cam shot)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:04 PM

Does this One World Trade Center actually have more space then the older one?? I just can't seem to belive that statement.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:29 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
Does this One World Trade Center actually have more space then the older one?? I just can't seem to belive that statement.
The old one had more space. It had 400,000 m2. This one has about 250.000 m2. That´s because the higher floors are smaller.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Looks like pieces of another crane in that webcam snapshot. Could they be installing an additional crane soon?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive