HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

30 Park Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 8:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Obviously not the same crane.
Currently, there's no crane on site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:05 PM
JACKinBeantown

I took a good look this morning and the crane I'm seeing is much closer to Bleecker, so obviously it's another building (and shorter).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I took a good look this morning and the crane I'm seeing is much closer to Bleecker, so obviously it's another building (and shorter).
I think you might be looking at the crane for the Grand something something hotel something (SOHO Grand... haven't taken a photo since March)? Uhh, let's see...

I guess maybe sorta: http://curbed.com/archives/2009/02/2...l_revealed.php

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 9:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

Judging by the fact that people are wearing jackets in that photo, it must be a few months old. So the crane would be several floors higher by now and peeking over 100 Avenue of the Americas (right behind the crane). So I think you're right. Thanks.

Oh shite! That's where the Moondance Diner was. (For non - New Yorkers, that's wear Spiderman's non-girlfriend worked as a waitress in the first movie.)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Judging by the fact that people are wearing jackets in that photo, it must be a few months old. So the crane would be several floors higher by now and peeking over 100 Avenue of the Americas (right behind the crane). So I think you're right. Thanks.

Oh shite! That's where the Moondance Diner was. (For non - New Yorkers, that's wear Spiderman's non-girlfriend worked as a waitress in the first movie.)
Indeed it is:
http://curbed.com/archives/2007/10/1..._will_rise.php

And I think it's here now (how sad):
http://gothamist.com/2008/01/07/moondance_1.php

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 7:46 PM

The architect of record SLCE has some new renders of 99 Church on their website:

http://www.slcearch.com/hospitality-...church-street/

Looks great. They better build it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 9:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
The architect of record SLCE has some new renders of 99 Church on their website:

http://www.slcearch.com/hospitality-...church-street/
Nice...

__

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 11:10 PM

Nice! it has a stately elegance to it. Looking forward to its construction.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 2:37 AM
Harlem found

Dunno... still looks too flat to me. Some slight vertical recesses on the tower would make a difference.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 3:22 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^^ It might be the difference in detail between the base and the tower that makes the tower look flat. I agree that if the tower actually is that flat, I will be slightly disappointed. The way it is now, the windows are perfectly flush with the rest of the facade, and that seems a tad unrealistic.

Is it me or does this seem to be begging for a crown+spire? Also, the second render makes the Barclay tower fit in the new cluster better.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 10:17 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^^ It might be the difference in detail between the base and the tower that makes the tower look flat. I agree that if the tower actually is that flat, I will be slightly disappointed. The way it is now, the windows are perfectly flush with the rest of the facade, and that seems a tad unrealistic.

Is it me or does this seem to be begging for a crown+spire? Also, the second render makes the Barclay tower fit in the new cluster better.
indeed, this one needs a spire! and i don't think it's that flat, the pictures play a trick on us.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 2:34 PM

In this city, residentials rarely get spires. Every square inch of space on that penthouse roof will be marketed to bring in the largest buck.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 4:46 PM

This tower is beautiful. I know some people are going to miss the great views of the woolworth but i think Park Place and the Woolworth compliment each other in a great way. Park Place will subtly connect the woolworths classic design to the neighboring ultra modern towers of the world trade center, a soft segway between classic and modern. Cant wait.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 6:19 PM
World Machine

Walked by the site yesterday, nothing has changed, at least nothing that can be seen from the street.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Na View Post
This tower is beautiful. I know some people are going to miss the great views of the woolworth
This tower won't block the Woolworth, at least the part of the tower most people recognize. The lower part of the western side of the Woolworth isn't much to look at anyway. This tower brings the classic residential Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Walked by the site yesterday, nothing has changed, at least nothing that can be seen from the street.
I walk by this guy every morning, and they are definitely still working on the foundation (a couple earth mover type pieces have been taking out quite a bit of dirt). That said, the construction fence is a veritable fortress, and they always have these incredibly mean looking security guards walking around shooing people in the morning. I'll try to sneak a shot through the only hole I know of (at the entrance on the south side of the site) sometime later this week.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:48 PM

Agreed the tower can still be viewed from the other three sides with great views from the adjacent park, there are those that have grown a liking towards the woolworths less known yet equally beautiful western side and yes the woolworth will now be blocked in some well known locations. I was just stating that fact that views will be blocked and some will now have a different tower to look at, cant argue with fact. personally i welcome this amazing new tower and like I said to those who will miss the woolworth from their office / apartment views, they are getting a beautiful replacment that compliments the woolworth...ny guy dont you live in nj? you guys got the western side of the woolworth in your views, im sure some of your fellows will be missing it? what say you?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Na View Post
I was just stating that fact that views will be blocked and some will now have a different tower to look at, cant argue with fact.
The fact is, the point at which the view of the Woolworth will be blocked is so narrow as to not even be comment worthy. You've wasted 2 of your 6 posts.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:33 PM

Several points:

1. Tower Verre and this tower, if they are constructed, will be the #1 and #2 tallest residential buildings in the city.

2. This tower is so lean that the blocked views are hardly worth mentioning. At most angles, it'll form a much more picturesque group with Barclay and Woolworth.

3. It brings back the classic lean masonry tower to the downtown skyline, which has been swallowed up by the huge midcentury and onward glass boxes.

On all points it's a worthy addition.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The fact is, the point at which the view of the Woolworth will be blocked is so narrow as to not even be comment worthy. You've wasted 2 of your 6 posts.
Very nice. You have shown everyone that you got pretty thin skin for a NY guy. Ok so you feel the blockage of view from park place isnt comment worthy, thats nice. Dude I know you love the forum but they got a moderator to judge that, maybe just flag it....just stating facts. How about that guy working in the top of 7 wtc in the north east corner who loved staring at the wooolworth from his office to survive the boredom of his job that now will not have that view to daydream into. Im sure that this guy has nothing to be bothered with bec. like you said, park place will only block a narow portion...wrong. how about the jock who plays soccer on the weekends at the field off Murray st and west st. He had the woolworth tattood on his right arm after years of looking up at the woolworth from center field, shame....dude how do you make such a broad statement like that. there are countless people that might feel that they are losing something grand. here comes the opinion...i think they are getting a tower that is an elegant addition to the skyline and although it cant replace the woolworth, itss as close as you will ever get. lesson learned, never tattoo your fav. view in NYC on your arm. ny guy good night, peace out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive