HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

30 Park Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Here's another pic from atop 7 WTC...

Nothing particularly stands out about it.

This view from 7 WTC will be changed though...

This building is nearly finished now all the windows have been put in.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 8:42 PM
Landmark Restored

ATTN: Moderator

Please change the title.

This building does not have 80 storeys. It has 66/68 storeys you can clearly see this is the case in the elevation.

This building has very high ceilings so they are marketing it as an 80 storey building, much the same way that the 72 storey Trump World Tower was marketed as a 90 storey building.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:35 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Done. And I'm tired about developers lying like that.
Really liking this tower otherwise tho, nice slender thing with good architecture. Quite the contrast to its southern neighbour.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:36 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Done. And I'm tired about developers lying like that.
It's all about marketing. Someone dropping 15 million on a penthouse would like to say he/she lives on the 80th floor as oppose to the 68th floor.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:42 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
This just makes me so excited. LEED certified, a gorgeous design that follows the lead of 15 CPW (we all know we were crossing our fingers for another one like that), a Four Seasons hotel in a building that deserves one, and near 1,000 feet in height to boot!

...and they wondered if we'd come back after 9-11. As far as I'm concerned we've come back and are moving ever forward once again. 'tis the spirit of such a great world city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 11:36 PM
Frigidus Maximus

http://www.cityrealty.com/new_developments/

Silverstein plans 912-foot-high mixed-use tower at 99 Church Street
29-JAN-08

Larry Silverstein revealed his plans today for a 912-foot-high, mixed-use tower at 99 Church Street just to the west of the 796-foot-high Woolworth Building at 233 Broadway.
The tower will have 175 rooms in a hotel in its base that will be operated by Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts and 143 condominium apartments, some of which will have as much as 6,500 square feet. The hotel will be on the lower 22 floors in the 80-story building.

The design of the project by Robert A. M. Stern calls for the very slender tower to be set at the western end of the block with a large plaza separating it from the Woolworth Building, one of the city's most important landmarks.

The tower will be clad in limestone and cast stone and will resemble to an extent Mr. Stern's design for the recently completed luxury apartment building at 15 Central Park West. Mr. Stern said that the 99 Church Street development "will counterpoint the glass-and-steel office towers that Larry Silverstein and his organization are building" at the World Trade Center redevelopment site.

Yabu Pushelberg is the interior designer for the hotel and Mr. Stern will design the hotel's public spaces.

Construction will begin in June and completion is anticipated for early 2011.

The hotel will have a "premier" restaurant, a spa and health club with pool and more than a quarter of its rooms will be suites. The hotel entrance will be on Barclay Street and the residential entrance will be a 30 Park Place.

Mr. Silverstein made his announcement at a breakfast meeting of the Alliance for Downtown New York and that organization's president, Elizabeth H. Berger said that "Larry Silverstain is a tireless advocate for Lower Manhatan and a major factor in Downtown's incredible revitalization."

Mr. Silverstein declared that "the sheer breadth and diversity of the new Downtown economy makes it more durable and more lasting than at any point in its history," adding that "from a population of about 14,000 in 1990, today more than 46,000 people live south of Chambers Street, a number that is projected to rise to 60,000 by the end of this year."

Silverstein Properties acquired the 11-story office building that formerly occupied the site at 99 Church Street in November, 2006, with the California State Teachers' Retirement System (CalSTRS) from Moody's Corporation for $170 million and Moody's has relocated its corporate headquarters to Silverstein Properties' 7 World Trade Center nearby.

Mr. Stern is the Dean of the Yale School of Architecture and the co-author of a monumental five-volume series on the history of New York City architecture.

Well, yet another masonry tower - and a wonderfully tall one! - for NYC...

Being so notably tall, and right across the street from the WTC, maybe Silverstein should call it "6 World Trade Center."

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 11:44 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Another Skyscraper Is Planned Near Ground Zero
By David W. Dunlap

NY Times

Among the taller buildings in this rendering, looking south, are the Woolworth Building, far left; Barclay Tower, in shadow; 99 Church Street, a slender masonry building; 3 World Trade Center; 2 World Trade Center, with a steeply sloping roof; 7 World Trade Center, shorter tower in foreground; 1 World Trade Center or Freedom Tower, with its mast reaching 1,776 feet; American Express headquarters, with a shallow pyramidal roof; and Goldman Sachs headquarters, far right. (Image: dbox, Courtesy of Silverstein Properties)

The new 912-foot tower at 99 Church Street, designed by Robert A. M. Stern Architects for Silverstein Properties, will have a 175-room Four Seasons hotel on the first 22 floors and 143 condominium apartments in the floors above, managed by Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. Larry A. Silverstein, the president and chief executive of Silverstein Properties, unveiled the design this morning.
Construction is to begin in June and be completed in 2011. The building will occupy the west half of the block on which the 792-foot Woolworth Building has stood since 1913. Tishman Construction Corporation will be the construction manager. The cost was not disclosed.
The new tower will replace the 11-story former Dun & Bradstreet Building, where Moody’s Corporation was housed until it moved into Mr. Silverstein’s 7 World Trade Center. The 99 Church Street site was bought by Silverstein Properties and the California State Teachers’ Retirement System.

The lower part of 99 Church Street is to be a Four Seasons hotel. The upper part will be apartments managed by Four Seasons... Mr. Silverstein’s developments will dominate Church Street from Liberty Street to Park Place: 4 World Trade Center, designed by Maki & Associates; 3 World Trade Center, by Rogers Stirk Harbour & Partners; 2 World Trade Center, by Foster & Partners; and 99 Church Street by Mr. Stern.

Unlike the unabashed modernists at the other sites, Mr. Stern is known as a designer of updated versions of decorative prewar masonry buildings, like the new 15 Central Park West. He said in a statement that 99 Church Street “will counterpoint the glass-and-steel office towers” to the south.
But the Woolworth Building, already hemmed in by the new 58-story Barclay Tower across Barclay Street, will never soar the same.

It looks gorgeous, like the GE Building at Rockefeller Center from the ice skating rink:

newyorkarchitecture.info

Let No One Denigrate Larry Silverstein Again!

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Jan 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:04 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Awesome news. I loved his other building and it's great that NYC is getting an even taller limestone building. Is this going to be taller than the Trump near the U.N.?
Yes, indeed, and I wonder how long Trump can stand to sit out the New York City supetall & near supertall construction boom...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:19 AM
World Machine

I'm glad to see that New York is not forgetting the masonry architecture that made it what it is today in the skyscraper World.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:26 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I'm glad to see that New York is not forgetting the masonry architecture that made it what it is today in the skyscraper World.
At least until this building gets re-clad 5 years from now...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Under_the_El View Post
What is the building right behind it(to the south I think)?

If you're talking about the building that looks like it should be on a diet, that's the Goldman Sachs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Gehry! who is Gehry? all he has to show after 4 years is a glorified hole in the ground. Their time in the spotlight has come and gone IMO. He ought to take a few cues from Silverstein; he gets things done.
It would be interesting to see which of these towers will be Downtown's tallest residential afterall. The towers are really not that far from each other, I would really like to see a rendering with them all.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yes it is. People were slamming the city for having new 1,000 footers including pole heights, but they failed to realize that those were just the warm-ups, now the big boys are rolling in.

-1 WTC -The Girasole -Jean's Midtown Tower
-2 WTC -Sherwood -99 Church Street
-3 WTC -Hotel Penn Tower -BofA
-4 WTC -The Hudson Yards -NYTT

This time in History is what the New York way of building is all about.
I have to admit, I never expected this much this soon. You realize that before the year is out, in Downtown Manhattan we will have 3 thousand footers, and 2 (maybe 3) 900 footers under construction? Not even thinkable just a few years ago.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Unfortunately, its not the wave of the future, especially for office buildings. But as shown with 15 CPW, some of New Yorks best residential addresses are. This brings a new standard to Downtown residential towers. And it shows, once again, that you didn't really have to put a residential tower on ground zero itself. The site is being surrounded with residential development.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:51 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Unfortunately, its not the wave of the future, especially for office buildings.
Well of course it is not, but the point I'm trying to make is that in the modern architecture World, full of 'out of the box', glassy structures, you still are able to find a few new guys that resemble the style of structures that indeed invented the term 'skyscraper'.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:59 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Well of course it is not, but the point I'm trying to make is that in the modern architecture World, full of 'out of the box', glassy structures, you still are able to find a few new guys that resemble the style of structures that indeed invented the term 'skyscraper'.
And for whatever reason, strident "modernists" can't tolerate even the handful of handsome traditional structures that get put up today:

Comment of the Day —"While I have to say not bad for Stern (cause we all know most of his stuff is crap), what I don't get is in this day and age why does it look like something from the 1930's? Also, what is with all the poche in the plan? It's like Stern shat out The Baths at Caracalla."

(Curbed.com)

But hey: isn't building an all glass box really just boring "historicist" architecture, circa 1950?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Comment of the Day —"While I have to say not bad for Stern (cause we all know most of his stuff is crap), what I don't get is in this day and age why does it look like something from the 1930's? Also, what is with all the poche in the plan? It's like Stern shat out The Baths at Caracalla." [Stern's 99 Church Revealed: Four Seasons! Limestone!]

(Curbed.com)
What that tells you is that you can please some of the people, some of the time....but there will always be room in New York for residential throwbacks. Again, witness 15 CPW.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:21 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
But hey: isn't building an all glass box really just boring "historicist" architecture, circa 1950?
Even at that, they don't build 'em like they used to. Look at the new Verizon vs. the old Verizon for an example. Now regardless of your opinion of either facade, the original one was much more elaborate and full of appeal then this 'modern day skin' that replaced it.

Boxes such as 55 Water Street, Credit Lyonnis, Time&Life, 1 NY Plaza, 1 Liberty, etc.. are all boxes to possess some architectural identity in relation to the architecture genre from which they come from. The new Verizon building is (IMO) an insult to the international box.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Boxes such as 55 Water Street, Credit Lyonnis, Time&Life, 1 NY Plaza, 1 Liberty, etc.. are all boxes to possess some architectural identity in relation to the architecture genre from which they come from. The new Verizon building is (IMO) an insult to the international box.
Among that list, some of the most horrible built in New York. The new Verizon is infinitely better than the bunch.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Need a larger view of the model.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive