HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:53 PM

I'll be in either Revy or Kicking Horse this weekend, both looking to get dumped on this week, definitely a great season so far!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Amazing Saturday at Whistler-Blackcomb. January has seen an amazing snowfall of over 2 meters of fluffy stuff having fallen in the last 7 days. I think I have never experienced almost knee-deep powder in blue runs and Symphony Bowl was absolutely amazing. It was very busy of course, but what a great season we are having!

I will be heading to Utah to ski in two weeks, but their current snowfall has had me a bit concerned about their season. I hope it will be great two-days in both Park City and Deer Valley.
I was back in the Flute Bowl on Friday off Symphony and it was a dream come true. Literally laughing-out-loud epic powder.

And yes, I've met some people at Whistler up from Utah and they say they've had a poor snow season there. Hope that turns around for you.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:47 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Amazing Saturday at Whistler-Blackcomb. January has seen an amazing snowfall of over 2 meters of fluffy stuff having fallen in the last 7 days. I think I have never experienced almost knee-deep powder in blue runs and Symphony Bowl was absolutely amazing. It was very busy of course, but what a great season we are having!
Any idea at what level freezing was at? I was there two weekends ago (wind day) and it was damp in Creekside.

I'm just back from 3 days in the AB Rockies - Sunshine/Louise/Sunshine. Cold as hell on Sat and Sun and windy as hell yesterday. But the snow was good. While the overall dumps aren't as big as Whistler, I still find the powder there "nicer". Even with the crowds, we were still skiing powder in the trees all day.

I'm heading up to Whistler this weekend, so hopefully Symphony gets dumped on again, definitely one of my favourite places to ski.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Any idea at what level freezing was at? I was there two weekends ago (wind day) and it was damp in Creekside.

I'm just back from 3 days in the AB Rockies - Sunshine/Louise/Sunshine. Cold as hell on Sat and Sun and windy as hell yesterday. But the snow was good. While the overall dumps aren't as big as Whistler, I still find the powder there "nicer". Even with the crowds, we were still skiing powder in the trees all day.

I'm heading up to Whistler this weekend, so hopefully Symphony gets dumped on again, definitely one of my favourite places to ski.
Sorry, no recollection of what the freezing level was.

I was back at Whistler today and it was garbage. They had two feet of snow in the last 48 hours and then it rained a ton. Groomed runs were ice, and ungroomed runs had a two inch cap of icy hard snow above good powder. Skis would break through the icy cover and it was like trying to ski an ice breaker down the hill.

Symphony hasn't been open for two days now. The base should be good but Whistler's had several bouts of warm weather that meant icy hard pack from top to bottom. Here's hoping that things soften up somehow.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:41 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
...Symphony hasn't been open for two days now. The base should be good but Whistler's had several bouts of warm weather that meant icy hard pack from top to bottom. Here's hoping that things soften up somehow.
Forecast for this weekend doesn't look hopeful - 0 Degrees with precip and freezing level at 1400-1800m Friday to Sunday.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:

The cold in Alberta means the hills pretty much never get rain (except Castle, they get some rain), we don't get the snow either, but what we do get is fluffier and lighter. I would love to make a trip out to Whistler one day, but you have to book pretty fasr in advance and who knows what the weather will be. A friend of mine booked a trip out there a few years ago and it absolutely poured the whole time, they refuse to go there now, even in the summer lol.

I'll be in Kicking Horse this weekend, they will be cold enough that the snow won't melt, though it may get heavy. If it gets too warm, I'll have to brave the crowds at Louise.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 12:43 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The cold in Alberta means the hills pretty much never get rain (except Castle, they get some rain), we don't get the snow either, but what we do get is fluffier and lighter.
Like I said earlier, the overall dumps are smaller but I mostly like the snow better. Snuffy and Eagle Glade had knee deep powder on Saturday - too bad Dive wasn't open.
Quote:
... If it gets too warm, I'll have to brave the crowds at Louise.
FWIW, it didn't seem too busy at Louise last Sunday. We arrived before 9, found parking close to the lodge and didn't have too many waits on the hill (Larch was busy before noon). That said, good luck with KH - I miss Feuz bowl.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:37 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
The cold in Alberta means the hills pretty much never get rain (except Castle, they get some rain), we don't get the snow either, but what we do get is fluffier and lighter. I would love to make a trip out to Whistler one day, but you have to book pretty fasr in advance and who knows what the weather will be. A friend of mine booked a trip out there a few years ago and it absolutely poured the whole time, they refuse to go there now, even in the summer lol.

I'll be in Kicking Horse this weekend, they will be cold enough that the snow won't melt, though it may get heavy. If it gets too warm, I'll have to brave the crowds at Louise.
Get out to the BC southern interior hills this winter if you can. I'm hearing conditions are really spectacular this year.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:34 PM

Went to Kicking Horse on the weekend, snow is great, lots of nice deep powder if you know where to look, lines off CPR and Redemption got tracked out pretty quick, but the far side of Feuz had lots to offer all day. They are pushing 8m of snow on the year already, this could be a record year.

Quote:
FWIW, it didn't seem too busy at Louise last Sunday. We arrived before 9, found parking close to the lodge and didn't have too many waits on the hill (Larch was busy before noon). That said, good luck with KH - I miss Feuz bowl.
It just gets bad on the front side if they delay in opening anything on the back, only 2 lifts service the front from the base, so it can get backed up quite easy. Louise got dumped on all weekend, heard there were tons of good turns there, highway was pretty much a whiteout right at Louise the whole weekend though, imagine visibility on the hill was poor.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:56 PM

Castle Mountain is currently forecasting 46cm just for thursday, may have to go ride again this weekend! never tried the chutes on the far side there, that sounds like it should be enough coverage to give them a shot, they can be quite rocky apparently as they are sun and wind exposed a lot of the time.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:34 PM

So much snow in Banff that Parks Canada triggered an avalanche that blocked the access road to Sunshine Village this morning, think they got it cleared up now. 30cm overnight at Sunshine and 36cm overnight in Louise, not sure why I'm at work today... lol

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
So much snow in Banff that Parks Canada triggered an avalanche that blocked the access road to Sunshine Village this morning, think they got it cleared up now. 30cm overnight at Sunshine and 36cm overnight in Louise, not sure why I'm at work today... lol
Probably why Louise was so busy today. At least that's what it looked like on the Cameras.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Probably why Louise was so busy today. At least that's what it looked like on the Cameras.
Busy from the sunshine road closure and the #1 closure at the border, so Louise got all the traffic going to Sunshine and Kicking Horse (maybe some Revy too, though people don't usually day trip that far).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:08 PM

Awesome conditions at Louise this weekend, lots of that 1m from last week left on Saturday, had to search for fresh lines a bit, but that mountain is huge so good times were had.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:30 PM

Another snowfall warning for the Rockies, going to be an epic weekend to ride!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:08 AM

Just got back from Utah after four days of skiing both at Park City and Deer Valley. We originally booked this trip to use two days from our Edge Cards at Park City, which is now part of the same group of resorts as Whistler.

Park City is a big resort, having combined the original resort and the nearby Canyons resort into a huge mega-resort with 41 lifts and over 330 runs. They don't quite have the amount of terrain that Whistler has, but that is a lot of runs and lifts! What is even more spectacular is that almost all lifts are fast express ones and there are five or six 6-person lifts, offering amazing capacity. For this reason there are no significant line-ups even on weekends, unlike in Whistler.

Unfortunately Utah resorts (as well as the ones next door in Colorado) have been having a really bad season and snow base in Park City is only 75 cm. That feels like nothing compared to 250+ cm in Whistler and the fact that we get snow dumps bigger than that few times a winter!

The town of Park City (and Deer Valley right next to it) are really high up with the base altitude being 2000 meters and the summits reaching 3100 meters. Being this high up, I was surprised to find no snow in the village and the lower parts of runs are in middle of completely bare ground. It feels like late spring, but resorts are doing an incredible job in snow-making and most of the runs are open, despite the conditions.

First two days were beautiful days, but the runs were quite icy due to overall conditions, which I didn't like. Fortunately on the third day we had a snow day, getting 10 cm of fresh snow, which made the runs much softer.

We skied 2 days in both resorts, only tasting the very best of over 430 runs. There is quite a lot to do and there is some great profile to be found. Park City even has express lifts taking you on top of summit ridges, offering dozens upon dozens chute runs, if those are your cup of tea.

The one thing I found curious was that Deer Valley is a skiing-only resort, with snowboarders having no business there. It was actually quite relaxing and perhaps it helps to maintain runs in better conditions throughout the day? I have never encountered that elsewhere and wonder if any Canadian resort is the same way?

All in all it was a great four days in Utah, despite the lack of snow. I wish we would have been there last year, when the season was apparently fantastic. Oh well. Next time we need to try the resorts on the west side of the mountain range, such as Snowbird, Alta and Brighton.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 1:42 PM
Beer me Captain

Just back from 3 days at Whistler (fri-sun). Good timing with the snowfall, but hilarious to watch so many people complaining of the cold yesterday

Weird thing for me was that Fri and Sat Symphony Express opened so late (around 1030/11). Not sure what was going on.

Anyway, the snow this weekend appears to have covered all the ice spots so overall real good shape on the mountain.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:40 PM

Rode Fernie and Castle last weekend, fantastic snow both days, though it was pretty windy and cold on Sunday at Castle, so the powder was a bit heavy and my wax on my board was pretty slow. Pretty incredible season for Alberta and Eastern BC so far this winter! have 10 days on the season so, hope to get 15 minimum...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 3:52 PM
Beer me Captain

Skied at Tremblant again yesterday .... what a difference from the start of January

Stuck in Ottawa for another 2 weekends so I'm passing on skiing for bit. Plans for Louise and Sunshine on Mar 10-12 then a week at Whistler starting the 24th. Hope the snow holds at both locations until then!

Most years I get in 24+ days, but not sure I'll pass 15 this year

Still hoping to make it to Baker, but time will be tight. Have fun y'all.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:48 PM
Derp

Anybody get out riding in the dumps over the weekend?
My sister and her family were in Fernie, they woke up to 52cm of new snow Saturday morning

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia