HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 1:14 AM
Urbane observer

I know they'll get no sympathy here, but 4 am licenses are a pretty hard left turn for the folks who bought Motor Row condos to suddenly be confronted with.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You mean the Prairie District that's on the other side of Cermak? The section between Cermak and the Stevenson can easily become Weed Street Part II - in fact, I encourage it, considering a brand new transit station will be popping up there soon (albeit one that will close at 2am). There aren't many residential neighbors to complain, just a huge weedy lot that used to be public housing, and blank convention center walls.

Things aren't looking good for the Prairie Arcades, which is the new development proposed for north of Cermak. Some things about it are nice, like the idea of a subterranean grocery store, but others are annoying, like the huge parking lot proposed for the middle of the block, the facadectomy of the ABC Warehouse, or the unnecessary bridge over Cermak (a simple stoplight would be cheaper and far more urban). However, the architectural merits are a moot point because foreclosure is likely.
1) I don't think it is that bad if the area turns into a party area... maybe a little better than weed street but with transit and the nearby lake, this area could turn into a hipper, more avant-garde rush street that serves the sloop area.

2) I hope that Prairie Blocks (I assume we are talking about that, not arcade because I've never heard of that) gets built. I don't mind facadectomies and I think that a bridge over the street, while it cuts up the urban nature of the area, will help make the connection of Mccormick to the city better. The architecture is fine, though I don't like it really, but I am not going to turn down a building in this market because it is ugly.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 2:19 AM

Love the Motor Row discussion, but OMG, a precast monstrosity has sprung up overnite around 1400 N. Kingsbury. It's either the Petsmart or the BuyBuyBaby. Looks like a prison, with no freakin' windows, unless they later punch them out of the precast (looks like there might be score lines for that). By the same token, easy to demolish in 10 yrs for a tower?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Love the Motor Row discussion, but OMG, a precast monstrosity has sprung up overnite around 1400 N. Kingsbury. It's either the Petsmart or the BuyBuyBaby. Looks like a prison, with no freakin' windows, unless they later punch them out of the precast (looks like there might be score lines for that). By the same token, easy to demolish in 10 yrs for a tower?
This does not sound good

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:26 PM

I'll add maybe it is par for the course for a suburban style bigbox, but it is jarring when you see it, especially in that location. I mean contrast it with the Whole Foods, the Apple Store, and even some of the other bigbox in the vicinity (e.g. Container Store is all-glass along North Ave). Even supermarkets (Jewel on Desplaines, Jewel on Southport) have said goodbye to the bunker style, at least in the city.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 PM

3 hotels
Yesterday

Amli

So will the lower floors of this just be a glass and precast cover up of the concrete beneath?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:03 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
So will the lower floors of this just be a glass and precast cover up of the concrete beneath?
Walking by it last night, I thought it seemed like there were marks in the concrete where they may punch out some additional holes. Could be wishful thinking, but that's what it looked like to me.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:12 AM

State Street continues its subtle transformation:

-The longtime Walgreens on the 1st floor on the SWC at Jackson has basically completed its metamorphosis into a new lobby/facilities for the John Marshall Law School. This change makes the "university village" of the South Loop all of a sudden a whole lot more scholarly-looking, with the restrained, wooden panelling replacing hodgepodge retail. How very appropriate for possibly the only street corner in the USA with a law school on each side of it (not to mention federal courts a block away).

-The Baker Shoes building two doors south of the Palmer House looks like its refurbishment (defacement?) is just about finished.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Walking by it last night, I thought it seemed like there were marks in the concrete where they may punch out some additional holes. Could be wishful thinking, but that's what it looked like to me.
No, they will not be "punching out" holes in the AMLI abomination. The first 5 floors are basically windowless. Of course I wouldn't have had to repeat that if this discussion were occurring in the highrise thread where it belongs rather than in general developments since we just went over the fact that there will be no windows with some guy who is involved with the project.

I'm not sure why highrise updates keep getting posted here...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:50 PM
The City

Good news, looks like the old Malcolm X College will be the new home of a high school for the arts.

I was worried that it would be a tear down after they build the new school.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:14 PM

Wait, what? Where is Malcolm X going to be then? It says near the old one, but any land specifically laid out yet?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:18 PM
THAT Guy

^I wonder how big the new medical school across the street will be. One less parking lot next to the United Center is always a good thing I suppose.

In retail news: Christian Louboutin, Tom Ford, and Buccellati are all opening in the new Esquire building on Oak. Salvatore Ferragamo is also expanding their Michigan Avenue store, apparently reversing their decision almost a decade ago to cut back their space.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^I wonder how big the new medical school across the street will be. One less parking lot next to the United Center is always a good thing I suppose.
^ New MEDICAL school across the street? Say what?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:27 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Whatever it is. A school intended to prepare student for jobs in the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:29 PM
The City

In a rare event, I actually agree with the aldermen on this one

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:41 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The replacement for Malcolm X will be focused on medical careers.

Obviously this site plan is not done by an architect - it's just a really vague conception of how the site could be laid out.

I was hoping they would build over the expressway to link the United Center area with the Medical District and upgrade the environment around the Blue Line station.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:54 PM
The City

^ I for one am happy to see that massive ocean of parking disappear.

Btw, will it still be called Malcolm X College?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM

How long until this soon to be parking lot in River North at Erie and Orleans is turned into a highrise? Hopefully sooner than later. 2015?

http://yochicago.com/a-one-day-demol...r-north/26373/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
How long until this soon to be parking lot in River North at Erie and Orleans is turned into a highrise? Hopefully sooner than later. 2015?

http://yochicago.com/a-one-day-demol...r-north/26373/
Jesus F-ing C, I cannot believe people are thick-skulled enough to be tearing down more buildings when there is an apartment shortage (esp. in River North) and plenty of people willing to live in converted lofts. And we all know that NIMBYs will use a "loss of parking" claim if anyone ever tries to develop this this site...

I suppose I can take solace that it is at least far from the loop and won't hurt the walk-ability as you get towards the river, but seriously guys.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:32 PM

Northwestern Music Building

Some new renderings on Chicago Architecture Blog. I actually really like all the things Goettsch does. They have a really great philosophy, which seems to be to keep things simple, intuitive and user-oriented. Its not about wowing people with showy design, but making things that manipulate space and light in such a way that they are subtly pleasing. One can see this in all of their designs esp. their amazingly urban skyscrapers with the curtain-wall lobbies (111 s. Wacker etc.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development