HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 11:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | NY Yankees: YANKEE STADIUM

All good things must come to an end. But hopefully, a new one is just beginning...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 12:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Images from:
www.stadiumpage.com

Village Voice

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 12:28 AM
New Yorker for life

More images from stadiumpage.com

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
All good things must come to an end. But hopefully, a new one is just beginning...

nice

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:28 PM
New Yorker for life

AMNY

Wrecker’s ball is long overdue
Outdated Stadium should be history

Shaun Powell
February 1, 2007

It's never nice to speak ill about the ill, especially when death is apparent. With that in mind, I'll be kind and just say this: Yankee Stadium can't collapse fast enough.

Unfortunately, the Grim Reaper won't swing the wrecking ball until sometime in October 2008, depending on when Alex Rodriguez kills another playoff run. That's 21 months from now, or roughly the time between Carl Pavano starts. Until then, baseball fans must continue to root for the Yankees while sitting in a facility past its glory, which is sort of like taking Giselle Bundchen for a spin in a wheezing, old Coup de Ville.

Please, this is no disrespect to the history of the stadium itself.

Just the stadium itself.

Four million people visit Yankee Stadium every year to see Derek Jeter throw across his body to first base, to witness what $200 million buys these days in baseball talent, to observe the winningest team in baseball this decade.

Four million people do not visit Yankee Stadium to do a riverdance while standing in line for the three or four restrooms. Four million people do not visit Yankee Stadium to squeeze through aisles built for supermodels or fight for shouting space at concession stands the size of shopping-mall information booths. Four million people, or at least the few who dare to drive, do not visit Yankee Stadium hours before the first pitch just so they can find one of the limited parking spaces sold at monthly home mortgages.

Once you remove the product on the field and Monument Park in the outfield, the "Yankee experience" is like the death of Barbaro: overrated and overplayed.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, commissioner Bud Selig and other important types made it official yesterday when the All-Star Game was given to the Bronx in '08, but this was a mercy gesture, a nice way of being nice to a sick, suffering old cathedral that should've had the plug pulled a decade ago. Ordinarily, the Midseason Classic wouldn't come anywhere near Yankee Stadium, because baseball knows what we know: The place isn't fit for it.

The beauty of the Stadium nowadays lies exclusively with the history and tradition of the Yankees. People are attracted by walls that talk. They know this is where Babe Ruth smacked his 60th homer and where Don Larsen pitched his perfect World Series game. They want to press their ears close enough to hear the heavy heartbeats from Lou Gehrig's courageous speech and the Babe's good-bye.

They know they're standing in the same place where Roger Maris hit No. 61, where Aaron Boone needed one swing and where Reggie needed three. They also know this is where Joe Louis put Max Schmeling to sleep and where Chuck Bednarik did the same to Frank Gifford. A pair of popes blessed the crowd, and the end zone blessed Alan Ameche in the Greatest Game Ever Played.

All that history is so rich and rewarding and priceless in a building with the charm of Simon Cowell.

Despite getting more nips and tucks than the cast of "The View," the Stadium has seen better days. It can't compare to any of the grand old baseball buildings still standing. For sheer magnificence, nothing tops Dodger Stadium, still in all its retro 1960s glory, sitting atop Chavez Ravine. Wrigley Field also blows away Yankee Stadium, especially if you compare the neighborhoods that surround both ballparks. And Fenway Park, cozy, intimate and buffeted by the imposing Green Monster, is a more inviting place to waste a lazy afternoon.

Yankee Stadium would've gone long ago had George Steinbrenner not wasted time with his misguided attempt at building in Manhattan or flirting with New Jersey. Meanwhile, the cost of materials went up, to the point at which the price of the new Stadium in the Bronx will equal six Yankee payrolls. Well, if that's what it takes to move the Yankees into the 21st century and out of a dated building, so be it. Only three items are worth taking across the street to the new place. The arching façade, because it's the trademark. Monument Park, which deserves more space and a better presentation. And the roll call.

Well, there is something nice we can say about the old place.

It's not exactly Shea Stadium.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

A few more renderings and pics from the website:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 8:01 AM

3/11/07

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 8:02 AM

this stadium is gonna rock.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRY85 View Post
3/11/07

Excellent photos. I've been missing progress. Just beginning to get into that early season mode (couple of weeks to opening day) and the early team tumoil seems to be behind us. We're witnessing Yankee history.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
New Yorker for life

NY Times

Pre-Opening Day Jitters for Establishments That Live in Yankee Stadium’s Shadow

Outside his Yankee Eatery, Louie Dituri, in cap, supervises a frozen pizza delivery.

By TRYMAINE LEE
April 2, 2007

Louie Dituri stood in front of his restaurant, the Yankee Eatery, across River Avenue from Yankee Stadium, on Sunday and ran through a mental checklist of last-minute preparations. His guys were precooking several batches of their famous shish kebabs, and the fresh rolls he ordered were to be delivered this morning. The bar in the back of the place was loaded, and after five days of spring cleaning, each crack and crevice was spotless.

This section of the South Bronx was awakening, and there was nothing left for Mr. Dituri to do but wait for today, when the New York Yankees open their season at home against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Mr. Dituri’s business, like others along the River Avenue corridor, depends on Yankees baseball to survive.

His shop was filled with nervous energy: part excitement, part anxiety, part anticipation as employees waited for the first customers, the first baseball fans to walk into the Yankee Eatery and buy something, a sweet Italian sausage, a hamburger, anything.

“We’re only here when the Yankees are playing,” Mr. Dituri said. “So no baseball, no business. We wait all winter for this.” The shop is open only during Yankees home games, including playoffs.

Above River Avenue yesterday, the No. 4 train grumbled down its tracks, the grinding of metal on metal blending with street noise and workers there doing last-minute repairs before today’s stadium rush. “Wet paint” signs were staggered from the steel beams jutting down from the tracks, and shopkeepers checked and double-checked their supplies.

Inside the Ball Park Lanes and the adjoining Ball Park Sports Bar & Grill on River Avenue, workers hung last-minute advertisements for domestic beers as the manager, George Diamantis, stood behind the shoe rental counter and surveyed the job.

“When the season starts, more business, more customers,” Mr. Diamantis said tersely with an impatient grin. “What can I say? I’m excited to have the Yankees back.”

Mr. Diamantis said the business also made money by checking bags for stadiumgoers, who have been restricted since Sept. 11 from taking them into the stadium.

Business owners in the area agreed that opening day was one of the biggest business days of the year. Out-of-towners and homegrown baseball fans pack the area and spend their money in surrounding businesses.

But the owners also said that baseball fans could be a fickle bunch and that booms and slumps in business had as much to do with winning or losing as with which teams the Yankees were playing and when. A game versus the Boston Red Sox is always a big game; so are cross-city battles with the Mets. Low draws tend to be teams from the Midwest or those with bad records.

Others said the Bronx’s gritty or dangerous reputation kept some game attendees from shopping in the area at all.

The future for many shop owners on River Avenue is uncertain, with the new Yankee Stadium to open for the 2009 season. The new stadium, to be built next door, is expected to have a bolstered commercial space inside.

Many business owners fear that that commercial space will greatly hurt their ability to attract customers and that this season may be one of their last good ones.

The subway riders they have snagged for decades walking past the shops to the stadium will soon be dropped off right at the new stadium. And there will be bigger souvenir shops and places to eat inside.

But for Mr. Dituri, there is no time to look too far into the future when there are shish kebabs and sausage to grill.

He stood in front of his little shop and took a deep breath, enjoying what he said could be the last bit of calm and sanity he will experience between that very moment and the start of the season.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 9:04 PM

dp

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 11:41 PM
Todo para la familia

Anybody got any recent pics of the stadium....since it looks like there will be much going on....we should try and get a monthly update going...or sooner if you guys prefer. I wanna head back to the stadium before it's demolished.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
Anybody got any recent pics of the stadium....since it looks like there will be much going on....we should try and get a monthly update going...or sooner if you guys prefer. I wanna head back to the stadium before it's demolished.
That would be a good time to take some pics. I won't be going to any games myself until it really gets warm. (I don't like cold baseball unless its the fall)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:00 PM
low-riding

Its pretty dark but these are pretty recent

the old stadium is famous for being right up against the subway like this

the new one will keep that tradition

i'll try and get back there during the daytime

Last edited by Scruffy; Apr 12, 2007 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:19 PM
Todo para la familia

Nice to see a lot going on...thanks for the pics....yeah my cousin in yonkers says he was gonna go to a game in late may and would try and get some pictures. He says his buddy is working there until end of the year....so he might try and get some up close pics. I haven't been back to New york since 98 and that was winter time so no games unfortunately. I wanna take my kid to the old stadium just like my dad took me when i was a boy. I was looking at some old pics of my family from 20 years ago when we went to cooperstown and yankee stadium......I'm sure gonna miss this thing but the new one will be a true monument....Mets new ballpark will be a serious upgrade from shea....too bad it's still by LGA.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 12:31 AM
Chicago 2016

It looks exactly like the present Yankee stadium.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:01 AM
low-riding

are you talking from the renders or from the pics. cause this:

is the current stadium. just illustrating how close it is the elevated train. and
this:

is how far the new one has progressed.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:20 AM
Todo para la familia

Scruffy,

The new stadium is supposed to look like the Pre 1970's renovation stadium. That's what I mean. The old stadium as it looks today wasn't "renovated" more like it was rebuilt completely.....the new stadium is gonna be built with the limestone they used to build the original stadium in 1923. You look at the pre 1970's stadium and it just looks massive and beautiful. It would be nice to see them bring back Death valley and put Monument park outside the stadium.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:21 AM
Todo para la familia

nevermind scruffy....thought you were talking to me....apologies...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:04 AM
low-riding

Loco, no worries.
I can't wait to stroll this and Citifield (hate calling it that). I love the throwback to golden days of baseball with the architecture. They could have gone all hi-tech like Jets Stadium in Manhattan was supposed to be, but thats not NYC baseball. I love the way it looks. Citifield looks fantastic too, but that suffers from location. The airport, the situation in a sea of parking lots. But that not really fixable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive