HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Pie-IX Access Condos SHDM - 10 floors

10011, boulevard Pie-IX corner Boul. Industriel in Montreal North.

http://www.condomtl.net/index.php/pr...ix-industriel/
I really like this although it wouldn't work if it were any taller. Pretty cool for SHDM.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Le Canal (Phase 1) - 8 floors
Griffintown (50, rue des Seigneurs)

Le Canal (Phase 2 and 3) - ? floors

http://www.lecanal.ca/galerie#

http://www.lecanal.ca/projet-condos-griffintown/plans#
I think this is really sharp. Great location too although I'm a bit worried about the somewhat hodge-podge development of Griffintown. I like the fact that different developers are involved but there doesn't seem to be an overall plan.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 9:44 AM
recession proof

Thx! Le Canal looks promising, and for affordable ownership, Access Condos beats anything I've seen in their niche in the GTA.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gibbroni View Post
I really like this although it wouldn't work if it were any taller. Pretty cool for SHDM.
It looks not too bad on the render, so let's hope it turns out ok. For a SHDM project, it's above average for sure.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:30 PM
The good old days are now

RBC branch on St-Jacques closing July 13

Royal Bank says it's closing its historic branch at 360 St. Jacques in Montreal at noon, July 13. Some history: http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...ques-building/

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
It looks not too bad on the render, so let's hope it turns out ok. For a SHDM project, it's above average for sure.
SHDM, c'est la Fabrique 125, Cité l'Acadie, Novello, Phoenix si je ne m'abuse et VersO. Pour ma part, je trouve que la moyenne est assez bonne et que ce nouveau projet est en dessous.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Royal Bank says it's closing its historic branch at 360 St. Jacques in Montreal at noon, July 13. Some history: http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...ques-building/
Yeah I guess they can't afford to keep it going. Fucking parasite banks.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:01 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
That's a disgrace, now any wagers on if its going to be a vacant space for 30 years or a Starbucks?

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 8:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Over time, every company loses its sense of pride; its sense of history, and becomes nothing more than a heartless beancounter. It is axiomatic. Never trust the beancounters. They don't give two shits about anything but the bottom line. They'd sell their grannies if it were profitable.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:24 PM

Apparently work has begun on the reconfiguration of the intersection of Henri-Bourassa and Pie-Ix.

(Mayor's twitter feed)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:36 PM
Look at me!

Well I must say this is good news, considering Pie IX and Henri-Bourassa are two of the ugliest streets I've ever seen in this country!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:40 PM

Wow, c'est prometteur! Beau geste de revitalisation et de réactualisation.
«La francophonie, c'est un vaste pays, sans frontières. C'est celui de la langue française. C'est le pays de l'intérieur. C'est le pays invisible, spirituel, mental, moral qui est en chacun de vous.» -Gilles Vigneault, un grand Nord-Côtier

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Airport transit system could have up to 13 stops

By Andy Riga, transportation reporter
The GAZETTE
June 4, 2012 11:01 PM

(Image courtesy of ADM's Facebook page)

MONTREAL - The Montreal airport authority’s proposed rapid-transit system could feature up to 13 stations, many of them serving commuters.

The electric train line could have stops at the Fairview Pointe Claire mall, the McGill superhospital, the Georges-Vanier métro station and a new downtown terminal on René Lévesque Blvd., according to a route map provided by the airport.

Aéroports de Montréal chief executive James Cherry announced the train proposal last month but did not disclose the location of stations at the time.

Cherry’s previous attempts to create a train link between Trudeau Airport and downtown Montreal have failed.

Under his latest plan, airport travellers would take express trains with at most one or two stops, while commuters would take trains that serve all stations.

Much of the route would be along Highway 20. On the West Island, between Beaconsfield and Lachine, the train would duplicate the route of the existing Vaudreuil-Hudson commuter line, run by the Agence métropolitaine de transport

The airport does not know the price of its train proposal, but says it would cost more than its previous $700-million plan, which would have taken Canadian National tracks, with Central Station as its terminal.

“Until we know the final plan – how deep it goes into the West Island, how many stations, where does it end up (downtown), it’s very hard to put a dollar figure on it,” said Christiane Beaulieu, a spokesperson for the Montreal airport authority.

The train would be modelled after Vancouver’s SkyTrain Canada Line, much of which is elevated. The Canada Line links downtown Vancouver to that city’s airport. The train also serves commuters.

It was built and is operated and maintained by a joint venture between SNC-Lavalin, the Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec, and the British Columbia Investment Management Corp.

Similarly, the Montreal train would be a public-private partnership, Beaulieu said. It would require some federal and provincial government funding but would be built, operated and maintained by the private sector.

For a PPP to work, it would require the sizable ridership that would come from a combined traveller/commuter train project, Beaulieu said.

The plan is still at a preliminary stage but the airport has engineering studies in hand, Beaulieu said. She said the airport would not make them public or disclose the name of the engineering firm that prepared them.

“From an engineering, population and feeder-bus point of view, we know this (route) makes sense,” Beaulieu said.

The possible locations of stations, some featuring park-and-ride lots, were determined after talks with the Société de transport de Montréal, whose buses would serve the stations, she said.

Airport travellers would take trains equipped with baggage racks.

There could be one or two intermediate stops between the airport and downtown. One could be in Dorval, for travellers who want access to nearby Vaudreuil-Hudson commuter trains. Another could be at the Georges-Vanier métro station, for those wanting to connect to the subway.

The train’s downtown terminal would be either near the Bonaventure métro station (adjacent to Central Station), or on René Lévesque Blvd., near Stanley St. A parking lot currently occupies the southwest corner of René Lévesque and Drummond, one block west of Stanley.

Beaulieu said engineering studies indicate both locations are feasible. The technology being considered could use a combination of overhead tracks and tunnels, she added.

Two previous airport-authority plans – an exclusive airport train using CN tracks and Central Station and a train that would have shared tracks with AMT commuter trains – fell through.

Quebec is now studying a different train plan put forward by the AMT.

That proposal would see train service significantly beefed up on the Vaudreuil-Hudson commuter line at a cost of up to $1 billion. The study is due by year end.

Beaulieu said the airport plan offers advantages over the AMT’s proposal. The airport train would be electric, so it would be non-polluting and cheaper to operate, she said. It also could target West Island residents around Highway 40 not currently served by AMT trains, she added.

ariga@montrealgazette.com

Twitter: @andyriga
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1wt4GBjlt

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:03 AM
Look at me!

As long as the downtown terminal is directly connected to the metro system, this project is brilliant. It needs to happen.

But it probably won't. Call me a pessimist.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 10:05 AM

un train qui fait le trajet entre YUL- centre-ville n'est pas très efficace avec 13 arrêts.. Il semble que c'est beaucoup!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
un train qui fait le trajet entre YUL- centre-ville n'est pas très efficace avec 13 arrêts.. Il semble que c'est beaucoup!
En fait c'est 8-9 arrêts direction est et 3 direction ouest à partir de YUL.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Lis la 5e paragraphe de l'article. Il va y avoir des trains express pour les passagers de l'aeroport, qui feront 1-2 arretes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 7:44 PM
Give us a kiss

i was a frequent user of the canada line to yvr for the past 2 years, and i'm a big fan of the overal concept of mixing suburban service (richmond in this case) with airport service. the only minor complaint i have is the lack of luggage racks in the canada line trains, which i was pleased to see the article address for montreal. (all the more puzzling since vancouver has a dedicated branch to yvr, so it would be pretty easy to dedicate trains equipped with luggage racks to airport service only. but i guess it makes operations a bit more complex.)

Quote:
The train would be modelled after Vancouver’s SkyTrain Canada Line, much of which is elevated. The Canada Line links downtown Vancouver to that city’s airport. The train also serves commuters. It was built and is operated and maintained by a joint venture between SNC-Lavalin, the Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec, and the British Columbia Investment Management Corp.
oh, the irony.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 3:55 AM

I noticed the Confederation Building (corner McGill College and Cathcart) is undergoing extensive renovations.

The facade facing Cathcart Street has had its limestone facade removed. I'm really not sure what they are doing. Are they better insulating it? Are they cleaning the limestone? Or are they planning on re cladding the building? (I hope not!)

(I took this photo last December)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:14 PM

Montreal's Cultural Identity Under Threat @ St. Laurent Blvd.

Stop the wrecking ball on the Main

June 5, 2012

By Phyllis Lambert and Dinu Bumbaru

Read More: http://www.montrealgazette.com/opini...785/story.html

Quote:
The block of heritage buildings being demolished next to the Monument National on St. Laurent Blvd. must be preserved. This is an urgent matter: Montreal and the province of Quebec stand to lose an essential part of their cultural identity. These buildings belong to the extraordinary group of Romanesque Revival buildings on the Main between Viger Ave. and Guilbault Sts. They form a pioneering and vigorous example of late-19th-century Montreal’s modernism and popular culture. At the heart of that era’s transformation was a raging competition between the two founding nations of our modern metropolis.

- The architectural heritage of the Main, and in particular its greystone commercial buildings, is a testament to the energy of that era. The row of Romanesque Revival buildings on the west side of St. Laurent was inspired by the language and ideas of the American architect Henry Hobson Richardson, a dominant figure in North American architecture. His masterpiece was the Marshall Field Wholesale Store in Chicago, built between 1885 and 1887, which was the pinnacle of commercial architecture of its age. Richardson’s great creative achievement was his interplay of fullness versus emptiness, with windows complemented by great arches that unified the building vertically.

- In Montreal, the architects Daoust and Gendron designed most of the “Richardsonian” buildings along St. Laurent Blvd., making use of the same principles. Their first project was the Robillard Building at 972-976 St. Laurent. Built in 1889, only two years after the Marshall Field Warehouse, this structure featured two immense three-storey arches. Next, in 1890, came the impressive Brunet building at 1074-1084 St. Laurent, with four side-to-side arches. In the same year they built the Drapeau & Savignac building at 1068-1072 St. Laurent. In 1892, Théo Daoust designed the Baxter Block at 3660-3712 St. Laurent, an astonishing group of 28 commercial spaces whose original design even included a theatre at the corner of Guilbault St., south of Pine Ave. Despite the losses, negligence and errors of the recent past, St. Laurent Blvd. remains a powerful symbol of Montreal’s identity and a true witness to the origins of our modern society.

The architectural heritage of the Main, and in particular its greystone commercial buildings, is a testament to the energy of late-19th-century Montreal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal