HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 10:28 PM

Was the US Civil Rights movement and Canada's bilingualism/multiculturalism linked?

If so, did one cause/influence the other?

The 1960s saw the Civil Rights movement with African Americans (and to an extent other minorities) fighting for their equal rights within the country.

This was also the time when Canada was undergoing similar struggles with Quebecois (eg. bilingualism), and then later on multicultural groups that were neither English or French.

The timing is very close.

The changes in a post 1960's society in both countries in some ways both involved issues of changing the law towards egalitarianism among groups (whether or not they succeeded fully in practice is another story but both involved legislation being successfully enacted) but is it fair to say that they were part of the same movement, or parallel developments?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:38 PM

No. The 1960s were an era of unprecedented social change on a global scale. Unless you lived in a communist country - and, in some cases, quite profoundly if you did - you witnessed radical changes to the social contract in your country. Quebecois French and black Americans weren't alone on this. Not by a long shot.

What other decade witnessed the widespread adoption of jet travel, television, air conditioning and the birth control pill (the latter being probably the most influential invention since the printing press, having effectively emancipated half the world's population from baby-making drudgery)? What other decade would end with 25% more people on earth than when it started?

I don't think we'll ever have a decade like the 1960s again. At least not in our current global civilization.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:41 PM

I draw a parallel between these two and Northern Ireland as well. In NI's case, though, the entrenched majority absolutely refused to make concessions to the oppressed minority, which resulted in their civil war. I think if Anglo-Canada and White America had refused to give in to Francophone and Black American demands for equality and fair treatment, the same could have happened in North America.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 9:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

No, I don't think there is any type of correlation between the two. Other than they were both born during the same global zeitgeist where various peoples started to get agitated. Think of how many African countries got their independence from European powers starting in 1960.

The Front de libération du Québec (FLQ) was actually partly inspired by the Front de libération nationale (FLN). Who ironically were fighting the French.

The FLQ actually frayed quite a bit with the FLN and also with the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). This included trips overseas for FLQ members to train with the FLN and PLO.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nope.

Next novel thread of the minute?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nope.

Next novel thread of the minute?
Minute or minutia?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

a thread about minutia every minute.

Minute Rice knows: Anything Goes!
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:45 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Sure, you can tie almost anything together; the sixties were a time of radical change and enlightenment, so these developments were a natural outcome of the times. Emancipation, minority rights, and multiculturalism are all connected, but the black experience in the US is rather unique, our closest parallel is that of the native people.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
a thread about minutia every minute.

Minute Rice knows: Anything Goes!
Video Link
Orange Minute Rice is gross (believe me, the memories linger!)! Or at least more gross than Minute Rice without orange juice...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

LOL, so many things are possible with a little time and imagination.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:14 AM

Dang! Now I'm craving a snack of mashed potatoes.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wikipedia

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
No. The 1960s were an era of unprecedented social change on a global scale. Unless you lived in a communist country - and, in some cases, quite profoundly if you did - you witnessed radical changes to the social contract in your country. Quebecois French and black Americans weren't alone on this. Not by a long shot.

What other decade witnessed the widespread adoption of jet travel, television, air conditioning and the birth control pill (the latter being probably the most influential invention since the printing press, having effectively emancipated half the world's population from baby-making drudgery)? What other decade would end with 25% more people on earth than when it started?

I don't think we'll ever have a decade like the 1960s again. At least not in our current global civilization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I draw a parallel between these two and Northern Ireland as well. In NI's case, though, the entrenched majority absolutely refused to make concessions to the oppressed minority, which resulted in their civil war. I think if Anglo-Canada and White America had refused to give in to Francophone and Black American demands for equality and fair treatment, the same could have happened in North America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No, I don't think there is any type of correlation between the two. Other than they were both born during the same global zeitgeist where various peoples started to get agitated. Think of how many African countries got their independence from European powers starting in 1960.

The Front de libération du Québec (FLQ) was actually partly inspired by the Front de libération nationale (FLN). Who ironically were fighting the French.

The FLQ actually frayed quite a bit with the FLN and also with the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). This included trips overseas for FLQ members to train with the FLN and PLO.
I guess this worldwide revolutionary period of social change is one of those things where it's hard to pinpoint or center on a single place.

In this sense, I suppose it's kind of like how the American Revolution, the French Revolution, the Haitian Revolution, and all the New World and European revolutions etc. in the late 1700s and earlier part of the 1800s were all linked to one another in a wave of revolutions of independence.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada