HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #461  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:21 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
As long as the sidewalks are wide enough to keep pedestrians safe from the motor vehicles. The shade from the canyon of buildings should be a respite from the summer heat regardless of the time of day. How soon before they turn this into a one way street I wonder...
Why would they convert back to one way?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #462  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:05 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
eastbound and down
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 46,564
2nd Street is always cool in the afternoon. Especially if you're coming down Guadalupe just before you get to 2nd Street. There's a noticeable change in temperature even in the summer. One of the things people say against high rises is the shade issue. But I live in Texas. I'll gladly hug a building if there isn't a tree around to shade a street.
__________________
Blue Leader, this is Troll Fighter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #463  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:17 PM
427MM's Avatar
427MM 427MM is offline
Love Austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
How soon before they turn this into a one way street I wonder...
Hopefully never. 2nd St was one of the many Austin streets that was converted to one-way in the name of making it easy(er) to get in and out of DT in a motor vehicle as we looked to drain the city of life each night. A little over a decade ago it went through a diet and went from 3/4 westbound lanes with pathetic sidewalks to one lane each direction with amazing sidewalks and billions have been reinvested in the area since.

I don't foresee us turning our backs on the public realm again and going one-way any time soon.

.
__________________
The City of Austin must reform it's outdated land development code.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #464  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:33 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Hopefully never. 2nd St was one of the many Austin streets that was converted to one-way in the name of making it easy(er) to get in and out of DT in a motor vehicle as we looked to drain the city of life each night. A little over a decade ago it went through a diet and went from 3/4 westbound lanes with pathetic sidewalks to one lane each direction with amazing sidewalks and billions have been reinvested in the area since.



I don't foresee us turning our backs on the public realm again and going one-way any time soon.

.

Watching the change from one way to two way for several streets DT has not only made it safer for pedestrians, I believe it's helped to increase the number of people who are willing to walk rather than use vehicles to get around DT. It's not just the amount of new people coming in, the whole pedestrian experience has improved. One of my most favorite things to do is to go DT and simply walk around and enjoy the sights and the amount of people out and about. Two way roads help control the number of vehicles during peak traffic times, rather than having a mass of cars leaving garages onto multiple 3 or 4 lane one way streets. The slower but controlled process helps to diverge traffic in more directions, when before you were limited to what direction you had to go depending on which street you parked on.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #465  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:01 PM
Geckos_Rule's Avatar
Geckos_Rule Geckos_Rule is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Hopefully never. 2nd St was one of the many Austin streets that was converted to one-way in the name of making it easy(er) to get in and out of DT in a motor vehicle as we looked to drain the city of life each night. A little over a decade ago it went through a diet and went from 3/4 westbound lanes with pathetic sidewalks to one lane each direction with amazing sidewalks and billions have been reinvested in the area since.

I don't foresee us turning our backs on the public realm again and going one-way any time soon.

.
Agreed. All you have to do is think about all the one-way streets in downtown, and compare them to the two-way streets. Are any (besides 6th) of the one-way streets good for pedestrians?

2nd street is one of the best pedestrian streets we have downtown, and I'd hate to screw it up by haplessly attempting to make downtown more car-friendly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #466  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:40 PM
kwinkles kwinkles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Agreed. All you have to do is think about all the one-way streets in downtown, and compare them to the two-way streets. Are any (besides 6th) of the one-way streets good for pedestrians?

2nd street is one of the best pedestrian streets we have downtown, and I'd hate to screw it up by haplessly attempting to make downtown more car-friendly.
Yeah, no one wants more one-ways.

Two way streets with traffic calming like frequent crosswalks and bike lanes and planters, please.

2nd and 3rd street are the best parts of downtown to actually visit because of this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #467  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:29 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
eastbound and down
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 46,564
They did a crane jump on Austin Proper yesterday. You can see them raising it on the Independent construction cam between 4:30 pm and 7 pm.

I would think they'd be raising the crane for the Independent today or at least sometime this week.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam
__________________
Blue Leader, this is Troll Fighter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #468  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:13 PM
chundercracker chundercracker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 66
The revamped Austin Proper site is accessible now (They've yet to publish it, but it's already indexable by Google). There are some new renderings of the common areas that look really nice:

https://www.properhotel.com/residenc...ery/amenities/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #469  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:58 PM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin | Puglia, Italia
Posts: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
The revamped Austin Proper site is accessible now (They've yet to publish it, but it's already indexable by Google). There are some new renderings of the common areas that look really nice:

https://www.properhotel.com/residenc...ery/amenities/
Wow. This kinda blows any other Austin (or Texas) building out of the water with amenities and design. Totally beautiful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #470  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:20 AM
drummer drummer is online now
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,436
^ I agree, this is going to be very nice.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #471  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 1:32 AM
Austin_ez_wider Austin_ez_wider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They did a crane jump on Austin Proper yesterday. You can see them raising it on the Independent construction cam between 4:30 pm and 7 pm.

I would think they'd be raising the crane for the Independent today or at least sometime this week.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam
Rumor on the streets is The Independent had plans to jump earlier this week but one of the crane jumpers dropped a large piece of equipment off the top of the crane. It blew threw their safety nets and crashed in between the building and shoal creek. Luckily only property damaged could have been a lot worse and possibly fatal. The crane was out of commission for a day and their safety nets could be seen flapping in the wind until they fixed them.

Last edited by Austin_ez_wider; Jan 26, 2018 at 5:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #472  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:42 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
eastbound and down
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 46,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ez_wider View Post
Rumor on the streets is The Independent had plans to jump earlier this week but one of the crane jumpers dropped a large piece of equipment off the top of the crane. It blew threw their safety nets and crashed in between the building and shoal creek. Luckily only property damaged could have been a lot worse and possibly fatal. The crane was out of commission for a day and their safety nets could be seen flapping in the wind until they fixed them.
Huh. I just checked the construction cam, and they raised the crane by maybe one section. Watch the camera between 2:30 pm and 4:30.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam
__________________
Blue Leader, this is Troll Fighter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #473  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:00 PM
Austin_ez_wider Austin_ez_wider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Huh. I just checked the construction cam, and they raised the crane by maybe one section. Watch the camera between 2:30 pm and 4:30.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam

The link you provided clocks out on January 3rd, and unless they change the angle you won't see it because the incident occured on the north side of the jobsite. I believe the incident occurred on Monday on the Independents crane, somebody onsite had sent me pictures. Seemed very dangerous and fortunately it only landed near the creek and not in the street or on a neighboring building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #474  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:50 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
I'm here for no one.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of the fence
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ez_wider View Post
The link you provided clocks out on January 3rd, and unless they change the angle you won't see it because the incident occured on the north side of the jobsite. I believe the incident occurred on Monday on the Independents crane, somebody onsite had sent me pictures. Seemed very dangerous and fortunately it only landed near the creek and not in the street or on a neighboring building.
Click on the "Skyline" tab in that link. That is the webcam Kevin is referring to. It looks like they are raising the crane today.
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #475  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:37 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
eastbound and down
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 46,564
1/31



__________________
Blue Leader, this is Troll Fighter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #476  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 4:33 AM
corvairkeith's Avatar
corvairkeith corvairkeith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 873
Today







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #477  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:06 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
eastbound and down
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 46,564
They're on the 23rd floor - 246 feet - 4 inches.
__________________
Blue Leader, this is Troll Fighter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #478  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:31 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 935
Proper Hospitality just posted their first job opening for Austin (for GM of the hotel). Opening is still pegged for 1Q of 2019 and general size of the property is still 244 keys with 2 pools, a spa and "wellness center" and 3 F&B outlets. No mention of meeting space -- so this will be pretty exclusively for business and high end leisure travel.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/574691395/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #479  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:12 AM
deerhoof deerhoof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 238
Picture from this morning, 3/8/18:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #480  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 4:44 PM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin | Puglia, Italia
Posts: 1,446
Oh my god that looks snazzy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.