HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:04 AM
farmerboy

Eastside Apartments 556 E 300 S

They're removing trees from the vacant lot where the Eastside Apartments are scheduled to be built. Does this mean construction will now begin?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:17 AM
Bring out the cranes...

What were the eastside apartments again? Sorry.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:42 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
What were the eastside apartments again? Sorry.
Formerly known as Emigration Court Phase 2/3... Same Development company.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:57 AM

Update pics anyone...soon...hopefully...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:16 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Formerly known as Emigration Court Phase 2/3... Same Development company.
Thats right. Ok, thank you. Great, i hope to see this project start up as well. The more urban downtown housing the better.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:44 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
The Governor did mention the World Trade Center Utah because it already exists and is doing work, here is their website: http://www.wtcut.com/ An actual building though has never been mentioned anywhere that I have seen except in the Downtown Rising Project. It is nothing more than that at this time.

The property where Carl's Jr sits is actually owned by the Dee family, as in Dee's restaurants. They own a great deal of real estate in the city including much of the Sugar House Shopping Center.

“We are the best place for business because we have the best people for business. However, the competition is getting tougher; my fellow governors across the country have all promised to improve their state economies. They are gunning for Utah’s top spot for job growth. To stay ahead of the competition we must refine, distinguish and promote our competitive advantages. One of those advantages is our unprecedented partnerships. I thank Senator Scott Jenkins for running legislation to create a governor’s economic development coordinating council. This council will ensure that the collective efforts of government and the business community are focused on jobs, jobs and more jobs. This collaboration will further enhance the collocation of many economic development entities into a building that I am pleased to announce tonight will be Utah’s own world trade center located in downtown Salt Lake City.”

Governor Gary Herbert, January 2011

http://kcpw.org/blog/local-news/2011...state-address/

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 11:56 AM

Another Olympic bid for Salt Lake City still possible

www.thelugeman.com

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ible.html?pg=1

By Lisa Riley Roche, Deseret News

But just a few weeks ago, Bullock said he was asked "with a wink and a nod" about a possible future bid during a visit to the International Olympic Committee headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland.

"They said, 'Salt Lake was so great, and do you think Salt Lake would ever bid again?' I said, 'Yeah, I think we would because everything went so well,' " Bullock recalled. "I have a lot of people talk to me about that."...

...While the IOC typically attempts to bring the Olympics to new corners of the world, Bullock said there are only a limited number of places like Salt Lake City that boast both "a large city next to a big set of mountains" needed to host a Winter Games.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
They're removing trees from the vacant lot where the Eastside Apartments are scheduled to be built. Does this mean construction will now begin?
That would be cool...that's a pretty big project.

http://www.utahurbanforum.com/eastsi...nits-t265.html

http://www.utahurbanforum.com/eastsi...nits-t265.html

Last edited by delts145; Jul 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:54 PM

Eastside Apartments would be way cool if it wasn't for the fact that I am about to move into a northeastern facing unit in Emigration Court this Saturday; I really don't want to hear construction all day while I am trying to study, entertain, and create.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:07 PM

Olympic Games

I would be ecstatic if SLC got the Olympics again. Because it was so recent, I imagine that being very unlikely. I mean, yes, we have the right environment for the Winter Games, but can you imagine the international uproar if we got the games twice in 20 years?

From a selfish point of view, I would love the Games here, because that would mean that development would rush to be done by a certain date. Some projects would suddenly be rushed, and we would get a lot of the things that are just not happening. Maybe even that Word Trade Center Utah building in downtown.

Thanks for the WTCUT quote from January. I wish that he had given more specifics in the whole "we'll get one downtown" statement. Like: when exactly?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:58 PM

I have personally met with the World Trade Center Utah and they have no intentions of constructing a building now or in the near future. Of course, they are hoping for amazing success and a building someday. The Governor was right, SLC does have a World Trade Center downtown, it's located at:

World Trade Center Utah
175 East 400 South, Suite 609
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

I'm not trying to be negative just accurate. I'm sure it will happen one day but I'm not sure when or where.

On a different note the Eastside Apartments is a huge project and they have applied for a building permit. I'm not sure if the process is yet complete. There are 180 units and the estimate is over $14 million dollars. Should be a great project adding density to an area that needs it.

There will also be senior housing built on the same block just to the northwest of this project.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I have personally met with the World Trade Center Utah and they have no intentions of constructing a building now or in the near future. Of course, they are hoping for amazing success and a building someday. The Governor was right, SLC does have a World Trade Center downtown, it's located at:

World Trade Center Utah
175 East 400 South, Suite 609
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

I'm not trying to be negative just accurate. I'm sure it will happen one day but I'm not sure when or where.

On a different note the Eastside Apartments is a huge project and they have applied for a building permit. I'm not sure if the process is yet complete. There are 180 units and the estimate is over $14 million dollars. Should be a great project adding density to an area that needs it.

There will also be senior housing built on the same block just to the northwest of this project.
Thanks for the info., I think that a lot of people overlook the fact that a world trade center is much more than just a prestigious office building, a world trade center is really an organization that encourages and facilitates international trade. WTC Utah is still in its infancy, so I wouldn't expect them to build anytime soon. In the mean time, I'll personally start referring to the Chamber of Commerce building as the World Trade Center, now that I know their offices are in the building.

Last edited by arkhitektor; Jul 8, 2011 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 6:20 PM

Eastside Apartments

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 6:29 PM

Also, a former member here, who can no longer post here, wanted me to share some of the ideas he's been putting forward: http://www.utahurbanforum.com/utah-p...-15.html#p2727 - if interested.

www.UtahProjects.info

Last edited by TonyAnderson; Jul 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 6:29 PM

gateway 6

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:37 PM

I recall that making another bid for the Olympics was a popular topic a while back-- may have been during the 2006 and/or 2010 games. I remember KSL interviewing Bob Costas and others about the possibility. Costas (perhaps playing to the home crowd) was completely in favor of an SLC bid for 2018 or 2022. The IOC was supposedly reviewing the financials involved in hosting the games, and due to the costs involved, was opening up to the idea of going back to recent host cities while the venues were still in good shape. The problem is that there is no shortage of cities/countries willing to put out the cash for new venues.

The other problem is with the USOC. The IOC requires bids to be supported by the National Olympic Committee, and the USOC has a policy of only supporting one bid at a time. They were tied up until recently with the Chicago bid for the 2016 summer games, and they apparently decided against supporting any bids for 2020. You hear about cities that want to host (Dallas and Minneapolis were hoping to bid for 2020, Philly is talking about 2024), but they can't file a formal bid without USOC support. According to Wikipedia, there are rumors about Denver, Reno and SLC potentially being candidates for 2022. My guess is that the USOC would prefer to get a summer games before bidding for another winter games.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:54 PM
They all float down here

It would be neat, now that I'm older and can experience the full impact of the games, to host the Olympics again - but yeah, some time has to pass before we're a legitimate candidate.

Remember, Salt Lake actually lost its bid in the 80s for the 1998 Olympics to Nagano, so the process isn't even remotely a guarantee.

My guess is that the next U.S. city to host the Winter Olympics will be Reno, Nevada.

What would be interesting is if, in 20 years, the city went after the Summer Games. I would think, at that stage, we would be large enough to support what would be required for those games. So, how does 2028 sound?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 9:20 PM

I highly doubt slc will be anywhere near large enough to support a summer games. Denver isn't even seriously setting its sights that high. I would never want a summer games here anyway. They're monumental productions, and slc would have an incredible amount of building to do to be successful. It would be majorly expensive, and like most cities that host the games, that money would be spent on crap that's used once and then sits pointlessly. I see a winter games in our future, as we're perfectly situated and we have the appropriate infrastructure. I think that would be a while out, though, like 2026 or later.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 12:53 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Glad to see gatway 6 break ground. Thanks for the pics update.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:52 AM

Lately I've been seeing the Acronym "UPAC" used in connection with some future/fantasy buildings. A certain disgraced former forum member has used it a lot on Utah Urban Forum. I used it to name a fantasy building that I designed several months ago. I thought I picked it totally out of the air. It stands for "Utah Performing Arts Center". I thought the acronym was catchy but would never happen. I'm wondering if it's actually something I heard that perculated up out of my subconsious. Is there now or was there ever such an entity?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West