HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 11:59 PM

I also think it would be a tragedy to lose the Tribune Building, and I think it's the most significant/important of any of the buildings under consideration. But it's looking like there's just not enough room on that block to keep all the buildings people want to keep (Bennion, Prudential, Tribune, that one ornate galleria that's frequently mentioned) and build a theater + tower. Obviously something has to give if this vision is going to be realized in any configuration. I'd rather that not be something other than the Tribune Building.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:36 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Well, I guess by joining the group our anonymity will be erased. Whether that's good or bad depends on the individual.
I guess theres some truth to that.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Aug 10, 2011 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:36 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Well, I guess by joining the group our anonymity will be erased. Whether that's good or bad depends on the individual.
I wish the SLC forum members here were as social with each other as the Denver guys. I have met 2 people from the Denver thread (DenverInfill and The Dirt) and one person from the SLC thread (SLCdude). This kind reinforces the stereotype that people in Utah are friendly but not friends (because of Church and family obligations).

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 10, 2011 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:40 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
I also think it would be a tragedy to lose the Tribune Building, and I think it's the most significant/important of any of the buildings under consideration. But it's looking like there's just not enough room on that block to keep all the buildings people want to keep (Bennion, Prudential, Tribune, that one ornate galleria that's frequently mentioned) and build a theater + tower. Obviously something has to give if this vision is going to be realized in any configuration. I'd rather that not be something other than the Tribune Building.
They should just give on the size of the footprint of the office building and make it tall and narrow.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:51 AM

old furniture warehouse.

Is there any plans for the site just east of the central hub, where the old furniture warehouse use to be? I know there's crews demolition the remaining part of the building. However it also seems like their digging up other areas.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:02 AM

August 23rd is a big date for the possible future of a convention hotel...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...-lake.html.csp

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:05 AM
PSU MURP student

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I wish the SLC forum members here were as social with each other as the Denver guys. I have met 2 people from the Denver thread (DenverInfill and The Dirt) and one person from the SLC thread (SLCdude). This kind reinforces the stereotype that people in Utah are friendly but not friends (because of Church and family obligations).

I say we get it over with and finally go through with meeting up! And that's coming from a very reserved person.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:08 AM

Hotel Location

I would vote to build the new hotel on the surface parking lot behind the Zions Bank building and tear down the eye soar at about 50 W 1st S. Kill two birds with one stone.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:26 AM

There seems to be a good amount of Holding haters here, but I still wonder if we could get Holding to build a new 1,000 room convention hotel near the Salt Palace that is more modern (The Modern America Hotel), and then downsize the size of the Little America or demolish and build condos on part of the Little America block. This would allow for a larger hotel without increasing their total room count by 1,000. I also believe that Holding would put unique touches on the hotel, which doesn't happen with most bland convention hotels.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:47 AM
The Drifter

I wouldn't say haters, its just most here didn't like the parking lot he left behind and never developed, which was hurting Main Street.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 11:43 AM

Does Salt Palace need to expand to keep Outdoor Retailer in Utah?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...alace.html.csp

By Jeremiah Stettler
The Salt Lake Tribune

Once again, the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market can no longer squeeze under one roof...

...Much is at stake. Outdoor Retailer draws more than 43,000 visitors to Utah a year through its summer and winter shows. The impact: About $39 million to Utah’s economy...

...a headquarters hotel remains a focal point for Beck, who says the county missed out on 140,792 overnight hotel stays last year because of inadequate lodging space.

"The amount of business we lose every year because of a lack of a convention center hotel," he said, "makes Outdoor Retailer look small." ...

(Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune) Coleman Outboard Motors retailer Neil Godfrey (center, in red) said that although his booth is located in the expansion tent at the Outdoor Retailer show, foot traffic and the number of interested retailers has not suffered. The Outdoor Retailer Summer Market has outgrown the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center. Now, an estimated 200 retailers are showing their wares outside in a tent. Thursday, August 4 2011 in Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
There seems to be a good amount of Holding haters here, but I still wonder if we could get Holding to build a new 1,000 room convention hotel near the Salt Palace that is more modern (The Modern America Hotel), and then downsize the size of the Little America or demolish and build condos on part of the Little America block. This would allow for a larger hotel without increasing their total room count by 1,000. I also believe that Holding would put unique touches on the hotel, which doesn't happen with most bland convention hotels.
The problem with this idea is that when the large conventions come to town, we are out of rooms. We need the 1000+ room hotel on top of what we already have just to keep the existing conventions.

To gain even larger conventions, we would need to expand the convention center and have more large hotels nearby.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:42 PM

You can't just keep enlarging the Salt Palace. I think the idea of a convention hotel with 100,000 square feet meeting space (the size of a typical Wal-Mart) is a good one (or more). I don't see why the South Towne Center can't be used for overflow. I don't understand why they didn't make a TRAX stop there. As it is, you have to get off at the mall and get to STC somehow. Spend some money on a TRAX stop at STC.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:56 PM

They did build a TRAX stop at 9400 South north of the South Town Expo Center just east of Jordan Commons.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:18 PM

It seems pretty clear that for the sake of not losing convention revenue, the city needs a larger hotel. It also seems clear that it isn't going to happen without some sort of incentive from the city and county. A 1,000 room hotel would be full during conventions, but would that be enough to sustain it throughout the rest of the year? Others of you know much more about occupancy rates and all that, it just seems like if it really made economic sense for a large hotel chain, they'd already have built it instead of just continuing to put up cheaper, smaller Holiday Inn Expresses, Hilton Garden Inns and Marriott Springhill Suites all around the periphery of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:33 PM
Let It Rise!

Developers propose Salt Palace hotel for conventioners

Developers propose Salt Palace hotel for conventioners

FOX 13 News

7:20 p.m. MDT, August 9, 2011
SALT LAKE CITY—

There's a lot going on downtown these days with events like the Twilight Concert Series and the first Tuesday’s Farmer’s Market at Pioneer Park. But some private developers say downtown could be a lot livelier if it had a convention center hotel next to the Salt Palace.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-sl...,5546902.story

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:01 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I don't know how you could possibly make the salt palace any bigger.

Struve on the corner of 100s and 300 west Went out of business earlier this year.... But the building Is protected and can't be torn down. I doubt the church next door can be torn down. They are not going to tear down abrovanle hall.

I suppose they could expand a little by taking down the radison.

I do not want to see any more blocks merged together... That crap is already a mess and I am also sick of paying taxes for roads so that the salt palace can block them off and use them for truck parking.

If they want to expand it needs to be detached from the main building. They also need to have parking for the trucks.. So they can stop blocking off roads.

As for a new hotel... I'm all for that one

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:15 PM
PSU MURP student

What's the holdup? Why isn't a convention hotel being built? For the love of Salt Lake, BUILD IT!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 5:09 PM

What is the hold up? Are you being serious? They don't have a location. They don't have specific hotel brand. And it could be that it comes with a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars that nobody knows who will fund it and/or how they will fund it.

I'm not against building this hotel but it is going to have to be a carefully crafted deal that probably involves both private and public funding. The SL County Council and the SLC Council both have members of their groups that are extremely wary of using public funds for this project. These discussions will continue on for sometime in the future.

ajiu0-- I'm curious as to where you hear that the building owned by Mr. Struve is protected. In doing some brief research it certainly has no local government protection.

On a personal note, I have to admit that I really have no desire to meet up with people from this forum. I find the information and opinions expressed here interesting and I hope that I'm a friendly person but I'm not interested in expanding my social circle. I hope that doesn't sound offensive to anybody.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 6:16 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post

ajiu0-- I'm curious as to where you hear that the building owned by Mr. Struve is protected. In doing some brief research it certainly has no local government protection.
I am in the gaming business, have delt with Struve, and know people. From what I understand Struve wanted to move around the time that the salt palace was expanded. They had a hard time sailing the building because it could not be torn down... So they just stayed and are now out of business.

I'm as baffled by that as anyone else. The building doesn't seem special... But who knows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West