HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:54 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
While I would have liked brick construction... It's a free country. The stucko& stone look is a growing trend... I think with this project... They just have way to many things going on... I'm not sure where the aluminum came from... That was not in the original rendering. I think it could easily be fixed. Im going to reserv judgment on the front until it is complete and painted..

P.s. You don't have to look at it for ever... Just move.

The reason people support this stuff is because it brings population to the city, population brings growth.

If you don't like the look of the building. Get a petition together and express your views to the owners... Maybe they will change it... Maybe they won't.

I'm personly glad they built something in the area... I don't love the look but that's life... I think the church office building, the shilo inn, and the Ken garff building are just as ugly... But they are better then nothing... It's all about what developers are willing to give us... If you don't like it get active and petition better developers to give us a better product
I don't want to move. I love Salt Lake City. I just feel that developers should feel a responsibility to not just make a buck but leave a lasting and meaningful legacy. Leaving the city not only more vibrant but more beautiful. That is what I am personally doing downtown. ajiuO I get why you want to live there it will be a rgreat place to live and I am glad to see more rental housing. I just know buildings and they can be done much better.

P.S. The church office and Ken Garff buildings may not be your cup of tea stylistically but they are done well enough in the Modern and International Styles respectively. I agree however that the Shilo inn is another building that someone should feel ashamed of and now we have to live with it for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:59 PM

I agree with most about the new apartments on North Temple. That building is an ugly box with a nice front. Giant stucco walls on all around should make for a pretty crappy looking building in a few years when the stucco begins to wear and fade and crack. Oh well, at least we have more people in the downtown area. I just wish it would have looked better than that.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:03 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Yes, I'll take density in any form really. I already said that I don't like the look of the building, but I think a little bit of infill around it and it's all good. I don't mind the front, and I feel like if something bigger was built immediately to the West, no problem.
I wish more developers were going for the urban look like we got with the Urbana on 11th in Sugarhouse or the Broadway Park lofts, but you took the good with the not-as-good.
You'll have to tell us about the inside once you move in, Ajiuo. You're certainly going to be living in a great location. That's one thing that this development has going for it.
Yeah.. I grew up 2.5 blocks north of here... Next to the back side of the fire station. My family moved away during my last year of high school in 96... Because of the growing gang problem. When I was little it was a nice area. It was mostly an Asian area at the time. Then in the 90's. The state starting buying property and using it for low income housing... That brought in some of the gangs. I remember when they shot up the Asian market on the corner of 300w and 400n... Most of the asian People were gone with in 3 years of that... Were were then left with more empty apartments that were fills with gang members... It got so bad that police cars sat on the street all day... Despite that I miss the area and am sure it's improved.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:08 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedowntown View Post
I don't want to move. I love Salt Lake City. I just feel that developers should feel a responsibility to not just make a buck but leave a lasting and meaningful legacy. Leaving the city not only more vibrant but more beautiful. That is what I am personally doing downtown. ajiuO I get why you want to live there it will be a rgreat place to live and I am glad to see more rental housing. I just know buildings and they can be done much better.

P.S. The church office and Ken Garff buildings may not be your cup of tea stylistically but they are done well enough in the Modern and International Styles respectively. I agree however that the Shilo inn is another building that someone should feel ashamed of and now we have to live with it for the rest of the foreseeable future.
It will be ok for a year or two. I want a condo but getting a loan as a self employed person is not easy.. No matter what you make. Should be easer in a year or 2... Probably be some new stuff by then as well

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:29 PM
Downtown with a Family

Quote:
It will be ok for a year or two. I want a condo but getting a loan as a self employed person is not easy.. No matter what you make. Should be easer in a year or 2... Probably be some new stuff by then as well
Lets all hope that in two years there are a lot of cool new projects to chose from.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 8:55 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
I agree with most about the new apartments on North Temple. That building is an ugly box with a nice front. Giant stucco walls on all around should make for a pretty crappy looking building in a few years when the stucco begins to wear and fade and crack. Oh well, at least we have more people in the downtown area. I just wish it would have looked better than that.

I agree I too was a bit disappointed with the Giant stucco walls on the side of the new apartment building. Maybe there will be other buildings developed their next door that will help hide those walls.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
They're a poor man's Metro condominiums, which, in my opinion, actually look pretty nice:

Salt Lake City: Downtown Metro Condos by sphansen47, on Flickr

If you're going to build cheaply, you should just keep things simple. Trying to add a lot of design flourish but doing it with all the wrong materials just makes this look awful. It's sad, because for less money, they could have built something plainer that would actually look better. Like the apartments just west near I-15/N. Temple:

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 9:36 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
They're a poor man's Metro condominiums, which, in my opinion, actually look pretty nice:

Salt Lake City: Downtown Metro Condos by sphansen47, on Flickr

If you're going to build cheaply, you should just keep things simple. Trying to add a lot of design flourish but doing it with all the wrong materials just makes this look awful. It's sad, because for less money, they could have built something plainer that would actually look better. Like the apartments just west near I-15/N. Temple:

Bridges at city front (second photo) are less cheap then anything cowboy properties has built. They were actual meant to be condos. As far as apartments go they are one of the nicer ones that I looked at.... The location is what kills them.... Right next to the tracks, i15, and a drug infested transient camp... I'll pass. But at the sMe time they are conveniently located close to gateway and a trax station :/ if not for the new north temple apartments. I would have had to go with them or else emigration court (because of pet policy's) Emigration court is cheaply built. They don't even have garage shoots. They have garbage rooms that smell horrible. And the garbage juice gets tracked all over the carpet... I could smell it when I went to look at a place... What gets me about that place is that it seems like they were more expensive then city creek landing right on main street.

I have a building floor plan for the apartments on north temple and the ones on main street

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 9:39 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Bridges at city front (second photo) are less cheap then anything cowboy properties has built. They were actual meant to be condos. As far as apartments go they are one of the nicer ones that I looked at.... The location is what kills them.... Right next to the tracks, i15, and a drug infested transient camp... I'll pass. But at the sMe time they are conveniently located close to gateway and a trax station :/ if not for the new north temple apartments. I would have had to go with them or else emigration court (because of pet policy's) Emigration court is cheaply built. They don't even have garage shoots. They have garbage rooms that smell horrible. And the garbage juice gets tracked all over the carpet... I could smell it when I went to look at a place... What gets me about that place is that it seems like they were more expensive then city creek landing right on main street.

I have a building floor plan for the apartments on north temple and the ones on main street

Oh sorry I should have looked closer... That photo is not the bridges... It's the one next door... The city creek apartments on north temple is way nicer then that place... At least on the inside.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Oh sorry I should have looked closer... That photo is not the bridges... It's the one next door... The city creek apartments on north temple is way nicer then that place... At least on the inside.
Yeah, I've heard that those apartments are terrible on the inside, I just meant that for less money, the developers of Seasons @ City Creek could have built something with a similar look on the exterior that would have ended up looking better than what they're building now. Those cheap apartments next to I-15 aren't anything special from the outside, but they don't try too hard to be distinctive, so in the end, they are a better piece of infill because they don't draw too much attention to themselves.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 10:14 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Yeah, I've heard that those apartments are terrible on the inside, I just meant that for less money, the developers of Seasons @ City Creek could have built something with a similar look on the exterior that would have ended up looking better than what they're building now. Those cheap apartments next to I-15 aren't anything special from the outside, but they don't try too hard to be distinctive, so in the end, they are a better piece of infill because they don't draw too much attention to themselves.
Metro looks pretty nice... Might be something I would think about in a year or so... I'm kind of curious to see what cowboy properties builds next to harmons. It was originally suppose to be apartments but now they have it listed as a condo development. I'm not a huge fan of cowboy properties apartments... But their condos might be a whole different bang job.... Seems like there is one other condo project under construction... Starts with a p I think. ?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 3:47 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
I wonder if Gateway Six is going to have a dome or not. I've seen it both ways.
The rendering at the Gateway Six site has a dome, so my guess is they are going with the dome. The Downtown Alliance hasn't updated their site (www.downtownrising.com) since May and they haven't replaced the domeless Gateway Six picture.

In other news, That 6-8 Story apartment/condo building going up at the corner of 100 S and I think 300 E has topped out. It looks very nice! I'll try to remember to photograph it!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 4:38 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
The rendering at the Gateway Six site has a dome, so my guess is they are going with the dome. The Downtown Alliance hasn't updated their site (www.downtownrising.com) since May and they haven't replaced the domeless Gateway Six picture.

In other news, That 6-8 Story apartment/condo building going up at the corner of 100 S and I think 300 E has topped out. It looks very nice! I'll try to remember to photograph it!

Providence place? Do you know if that is apartments or condos??

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 3:11 PM

My understanding is that they are all apartments.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 10:05 PM
West bench livin'

Well, we can always hope that they'll plant ivy or some similar climber and in two to three years the stucco will be covered with homogenizing greenage... or after a few years, the stucco will fall off and they'll replace it with more stone or a complimentary brick facade.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

My hope is that someone builds a quality condo or apartment edifice next to it and that they build it really close so as to completely obscure the west view of the building from most onlooking locations.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 11:40 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post

My hope is that someone builds a quality condo or apartment edifice next to it and that they build it really close so as to completely obscure the west view of the building from most onlooking locations.
Crown burger wont sale their property... I can promise you that.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
farmerboy

Hideous

Was this buildings designed by a professional? The exterior looks as though it could've been pieced together by 4th graders. It really is disgraceful to have a structure turn out like this given the costs associated. If I were financing this project I would be pissed! It looks like a pile of shit!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Was this buildings designed by a professional? The exterior looks as though it could've been pieced together by 4th graders. It really is disgraceful to have a structure turn out like this given the costs associated. If I were financing this project I would be pissed! It looks like a pile of shit!
And that's its 'good' side. Definitely one of the worst looking projects in recent memory.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Wow! a few people on this forum are going to be disappointed when they find out what I found out today about about 215w and 245w north temple

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West