HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 3:04 PM
Robotic Construction

Denver Union Station & FasTracks

FasTracks will transform Denver Union Station (DUS) into a multi-model transportation hub. This $480 million+ DUS project is part of a larger, ~$6.8 billion transportation project called FasTracks. FasTracks will construct four new commuter rail lines (3-EMU; 1-DMU -- to use Silverliner V based train-sets), one new Light Rail Line (LRT), and extend three existing LRT lines. It will also include a 38-mile Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line. The BRT line will have exclusive ROW and operate much like a rail line would. All of this is to be completed by 2017 - making it the nations most ambitious transportation project in recent memory.

But of course, the center piece which everything feeds into, is Denver Union Station (DUS) in LoDo (Lower Downtown). DUS will consist of four main parts: Historical Denver Union Station, Commuter Rail Terminal, Regional Bus Terminal and Light Rail Terminal.

-The historical DUS building will serve as the gateway between the terminals and downtown. As well as serve as the main waiting area for longer duration transfer waits. The station will serve AmTrak, SkiTrain, Commercial buses and future inter-city rail in addition to the metro commuter rail, light rail and regional buses.

-The Commuter Rail Terminal (CRT) will consist of 8-platforms, directly behind the historic Union Station. It will be accessible directly from Union Station at-grade level, as well as have individual platform access from the subterranean Regional Bus Terminal (RBT), and access from an elevated pedestrian bridge which crosses the tracks. It will be served by a below-grade 18th Street Free Circulator Bus stop, as well as an at-grade 16th Street Free Mall Ride Bus stop. These are low flow, wide door buses designed for fast boarding. In other words, this terminal will have seamless and integrated access from in-front, behind, below, above, from the left and from the right of it.

-The Regional Bus Terminal (RBT) will be subterranean, below 17th Street Transportation plaza. This terminal will stretch from DUS and the CRT, down to the Light Rail Terminal (LRT). There will be 22-bus bays; 16-regional bus bays, 4-Circulator bus bays, 2-commercial bus bays (actually a transfer bus which will shuttle passengers to and from commercial bus stations such as Greyhound). Down the medium of this will be an enclosed/environmentally controlled pedestrian walkway, with small vendors, ample seats/waiting areas, skylights and digital display signs that display bus route/destinations and ETA, for each bus bay which will be accessible from the pedestrian corridor via automatic sliding doors.

-At the far end of the RBT is the Light Rail Terminal (LRT). The LRT will have a 2-track covered platform with direct, covered access to the below-grade pedestrian tunnel to access transfers to/from bus and/or commuter rail. There will also be a 16th Street Mall free mall shuttle bus covered platform stop here, as well as an 18th Street downtown circulator shuttle platform in the first subterranean bus bay. These shuttles will make for easy connections from LRT to the rest of Union Station and all of downtown Denver. There will also be room for a future third LRT platform for expanded service. This auxiliary space could also potentially be used for a separately proposed inter-city, Front Range Commuter High Speed Rail Service from Denver to Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Denver to Denver International Airport, Denver to Boulder-Fort Collins and from Denver west to Ski resorts.

By 2025, DUS could and likely will be processing more than 200,000 daily passenger boardings. Even if you consider that the average daily user would have two boardings at DUS per day/trip, that still means there would be upwards of 100,000 unique daily users. DUS will (and t some degree, already is) the unequivocal transportation epicenter for Denver's transit users.

Here is the the plan at 3% design phase. 30% design phase is expected in November 2008 and that is when construction will be underway:

Full Update Report: Click This Link

FasTracks: The Whole System
FasTracks is RTD's 12-year comprehensive plan to build and operate high-speed rail lines and expand and improve bus service and park-n-Rides throughout the region. FasTracks includes:

* 119 miles of new light rail and commuter rail
* 18 miles of bus rapid transit service
* 21,000 new parking spaces at rail and bus stations
* Expanded bus service in all areas

FasTracks provides many ways to ride a bus or train.

* Drive to a park-n-Ride and get on a bus or train
* Take a bus to a rail station
* Walk to a bus or rail station
* Ride your bike to transit stations and store your bike in lockers and racks or take it with you on buses and trains

Last edited by SnyderBock; Mar 16, 2011 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 6:18 PM
National Capital Region

great post, thanks for all the information... do you have any estimates on the frequency of these commuter lines? Are they closer to suburban rail lines like in Europe, or the commuter lines of North America (ie 4 times during rush hour, one way service)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 6:30 PM

North of Denver it's all commuter rail while south of Denver it's all light rail. I'm guessing most of the denser population centers in the Denver metro area are concentrated from the city southward?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:15 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
great post, thanks for all the information... do you have any estimates on the frequency of these commuter lines? Are they closer to suburban rail lines like in Europe, or the commuter lines of North America (ie 4 times during rush hour, one way service)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
North of Denver it's all commuter rail while south of Denver it's all light rail. I'm guessing most of the denser population centers in the Denver metro area are concentrated from the city southward?
East Corridor
Vehicle Type: Commuter Rail - Electric Multiple Units (EMU)
Length (miles): 23.6
Stations: 5
Parking: 2,848 (existing), 400(new)
Capital Cost: $1.14B*
2030 Ridership: 37,500
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 15 min (peak)/15 min (off-peak)

The East Corridor is a 23.6-mile commuter rail transit corridor between Denver Union Station and Denver International Airport (DIA). The East Corridor serves as a connection between these two important areas and travels through the adjacent employment, neighborhoods, and new development areas.

Final Design is scheduled to begin in 2008, and construction is scheduled to begin 2011 with opening day on the East Corridor scheduled for 2015.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

North Metro Corridor
Vehicle Type: Commuter Rail - Diesel Multiple Units (DMU)
Length (miles): 18
Stations: 8
Parking: 2,992 (existing/planned), 3,767 (new)
Capital Cost: $637.2M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 24,100
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 15 min (peak)/30 min (off-peak)

The North Metro Corridor is a proposed 18-mile rail transit corridor
between Denver Union Station and 162nd Avenue, passing through Denver,Commerce City, Thornton, Northglenn and unincorporated Adams County. Project will be finished in 2015.

Northwest Rail Corridor
Vehicle Type: Commuter Rail - Diesel Multiple Units (DMU)
Length (miles): 41
Stations: 7 (rail)
Parking: 3,975 (existing), 4,393 (new)***
Capital Cost: $684.4M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 17,400
Proposed Frequency of Service: 15 min (peak), 30 min (off-peak)

The Northwest Rail project is a proposed 41-mile high-capacity, fixed-guideway transit corridor from Denver Union Station to Longmont, passing through North Denver, Adams County, Westminster, Broomfield, Louisville, and Boulder. Project to be finished in 2014.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

US 36 BRT Corridor
Vehicle Type: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
Length (miles): 18
Stations: 6
Parking: 3,975 (existing), 4,393 (new)***
Capital Cost: $235.6M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 14,600
Proposed Frequency of Service: 2 min (peak), 4 min (off-peak)

The US 36 Corridor is an 18-mile Bus Rapid Transit Corridor between Downtown Denver and Boulder in the median of US 36. The FasTracks program includes funding for slip ramps and access improvements to park-n-Rides along the corridor. In addition, FasTracks funds centerline BRT stations, platforms and a proportional share of HOV lanes ($66 million) as part of future CDOT improvements to US 36.

The US 36 Corridor began as a two-pronged corridor; the BRT and the Commuter rail line from Denver through Boulder to Longmont. The rail and BRT corridors split into two separate projects in 2006 and are now known as the Northwest Rail Corridor and US 36 BRT Corridor.

The Environmental Impact Statement for US 36 began in 2003 and is planned to be complete in 2007. Phase 1 improvements, which include the slip ramps and some park-n-Ride improvements, will open in early 2009. Phase 2 Final Design is scheduled to begin in 2008, be completed in 2011 and the line is scheduled to open in 2015.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Line Corridor
Vehicle Type: Commuter Rail - Electric Multiple Units (EMU)
Length (miles): 11.2
Stations: 7
Parking: 711 (existing), 2,050 (new)
Capital Cost: $552.5M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 18,000 - 20,000
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 7.5 min (peak)/15 min (off-peak)

The Gold Line is a proposed 11.2-mile rail transit corridor from Denver Union Station to the vicinity of Ward Road, passing through northwest Denver, unincorporated Adams County, Arvada and Wheat Ridge. Project will be completed in 2015.

West Corridor
Vehicle Type: Light Rail
Length (miles): 12.1
Stations: 12
Parking: 646 (existing), 5,054 (new)
Capital Cost: $635M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 31,200 - 36,500
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail):
5 min (peak)/15 min (off-peak) Denver to Federal Center
15 min (peak and off-peak) Federal Center to Jefferson County

The West Corridor is a 12.1-mile light rail transit corridor between the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver and the Jefferson County Government Center in Golden, serving Denver, Lakewood, the Denver Federal Center, Golden and Jeffco.

The West Corridor completed the Environmental Impact Statement in 2003 and began Final Design in November 2005. The Final Design was completed in early 2008 and utility realignments were begun. In the summer of 2009, full construction phase was begun. It will be the first corridor to be completed in the FasTracks program, opening in early 2013.

Southwest Corridor
Length (miles): 8.7 (existing)/2.5 (new)
Stations: 5 (existing)/2 (new)
Parking: 2,597 (existing), 1,440 (new)
Capital Cost: $216.9M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 21,600 - 24,000
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 6 min (peak)/7.5 min (off-peak)

The Southwest Corridor light rail line opened in July 2000 as an 8.7-mile extension from I-25/Broadway to Mineral Avenue in Littleton. The Southwest Corridor has five stations with nearly 2,600 parking spaces.

A number of enhancements are proposed as part of FasTracks to make the Southwest line even more successful than it is today. Enhancements include improving existing stations so that they can accommodate four-car trains, adding a total of 440 parking spaces at the Englewood Station, and extending the line south from Mineral Avenue to Lucent Boulevard in Highlands Ranch with a new station at C-470/Lucent Boulevard with 1,000 new parking spaces. Finally, a new station will be added in Englewood at Bates Avenue when a new planned development is constructed.

Southeast Corridor
Length (miles): 19.1 (existing)/2.3 (new)
Stations: 13 (existing)/3 (new)
Parking: 6,962 (existing), 2,520 (new)
Capital Cost: $208.1M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 51,100 - 59,800
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 4 min (peak)/6 min (off-peak)

The Southeast Corridor is a 19.1-mile light rail line from I-25/ Broadway to Lincoln Avenue in Douglas County with an additional connection from I-25 to Parker Road along I-225. This portion of the Southeast Corridor began passenger service in November 2006.

FasTracks enhancements include a 2.3 mile light rail extension to Lone Tree, increasing total corridor parking by 2,520 spaces, and improving existing stations so that they can accommodate four-car trains.

I-225 Corridor
Length (miles): 10.5
Stations: 7
Parking: 1,225 (existing), 1,800 (new)
Capital Cost: $619.6M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 34,200
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 7.5 min (peak)/10 min (off-peak)

The I-225 Corridor project is a 10.5-mile proposed light rail line that connects the Southeast Corridor light rail station at Parker Road and I-225 and the East Corridor at Smith Road and Peoria. The alignment follows I-225 in the median between the Parker Road and the Aurora City Center area where it leaves the median and travels through the Aurora City Center area. The alignment returns to the median of I-225 and continues to Colfax Avenue where it turns west to serve the Fitzsimons redevelopment area. This proposed light rail mode line continues north along Peoria Street to Smith Road, where a cross-platform transfer to the East Corridor rail line to the Denver International Airport (DIA-eastbound) or downtown (DUS-westbound), is provided.

The I-225 Corridor will serve Aurora (300,000 people), in addition to providing a key regional rail linkage between the East and Southeast rail lines and connecting the regions 2nd largest job center (Denver tech Center) to the regions Airport (DIA).

Central Corridor
Length (miles): 7.1 (existing)/0.8 (new)
Stations: 18 (existing)/2 (new)
Parking: 1,685 (existing)
Capital Cost: $115M*
2030 Weekday Ridership: 5,800
Proposed Frequency of Service (Rail): 15 min

The 5.3 mile Central Corridor light rail line originally opened in 1994 and is Denver's first light rail line running from I-25/Broadway, through downtown Denver, and along Welton Street to 30th/Downing. The light rail extension as part of FasTracks takes the line north on Downing Street less than a mile to the 40th/40th Station, where it will share a transfer station with the East Corridor. This line is being studied for a potential conversion into a streetcar style single light rail vehicle line--as it runs on city core streets.

RTD FasTracks FAQ's

RTD Transit Tech PDF

RTD FasTracks Factbook PDF

Last edited by SnyderBock; Mar 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:31 PM
Robotic Construction

I would like to note that RTD projected Riderships have historically been very low. After the Southwest Light Rail line opened, it took less than 5-years for it to achieve RTD's projected 2020 ridership levels. It's 2020 projected ridership was 15,000 daily riders and I believe it is well over 17,000 daily riders currently.

The Southeast Light Rail Line has been open for about a year. It was projected to have 33,000 daily riders by 2025, but is already averaging somewhere between 28,000-32,000 daily riders in it's first year of service, the last time I checked. That would put updated 2025 ridership numbers (after the FasTracks improvements and extension) to somewhere between 38,000-42,000 daily riders.

The total post FasTracks rail system should expect a system-wide rai1 daily ridership in 2020 of somewhere between 140,000-180,000 passengers. A 2030 system-wide daily ridership projection would likely be between 180,000-220,000 passengers. This does not include BRT passengers.

Last edited by SnyderBock; Dec 12, 2007 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:43 PM

It would be really awesome if those commuter lines did have off-peak headways of 30-minutes or less.

At build-out, what is the anticipated total rail ridership? I love how ambitious this plan is, Denver really has the jump on most every other city with the magnitude of construction.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 8:00 PM
Robotic Construction

Question

Now that is something I haven't seen yet (a ridership projection for total rail at build out). That starts to get a little tricky, because you can't just add up the projected ridership of each line, because you don't know what percentage of those hypothetical riders will be crossing multiple lines in one trip. Am I correct? So it would actually take a study to project that. I will look into it, to see if I can find anything!

P.S.
I found the latest FasTracks map and updated the master thread with it^^

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 8:27 PM
Stay Thirsty.

It will be interesting to see if the projected construction dates are accurate as well. We have seen our fair share of delays and cutbacks already from the rising cost of materials. I will hold my breath in anticipation (no, wait, that could kill me).

You all shoulda had a look at the previous plans. They were fantabulous! Alas, being between 100 and 400 million dollars in the hole under budget didn't help matters.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 8:49 PM
Robotic Construction

RTD has actually done an excellent job getting this project under-budget (or close to doing so), without serious cutbacks. In fact, they have actually made it better in many ways, by simply trimming "fat" off the project that really didn't enhance it any. I think from here on out, It's going to be RTD's reputation for completing projects on time and under-budget that will prevail. It's looking pretty good to me!

And think about this, Denver is building a system as good as (if not better than) the system Dallas is building. Denver Metro Area is less than half the population as Dallas Metro Area and building it in half as much time as Dallas. Think about that! I don't even live in Colorado, I'm just a transit nut and that impresses me. I've fallen in love with Denver!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:01 PM
going there, no direction

Quote:
For the most part, yes, if we're talking suburbs. Northeast metro is sparsely populated, especially due to the wildlife reserve. The southern suburbs have large office market concentrations as well, followed by the northwestern suburbs & boulder.

The greatest densities, however, are in the core city east of downtown, especially along colfax. This area mostly won't be served by fastracks though. Hopefully, in the future, an urban streetcar system will be developed to serve the core city; there's a contingent pushing for it.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:49 PM

I wish St. Louis was taking the approach Denver is taking with its light rail. Our leadership might be on the verge of destroying one of the most successful light rails in the country with bad funding and politics. I'm glad Denver is taking the right approach.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 6:24 AM

Oh snap there is my map . Anyways I can't wait to see some actual construction work on this project for our big neighbors to our north! I took the train from Dayton.
UAL2771 UAV
Nothing much more to say here.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:01 AM

Quote:
There has also been issues with safety regarding the use of LRT's on tracks that will run adjacent to freight tracks. Several of the northern Fast Track lines run in existing freight corridors, and the concern is that if a freight train were to derail, a light rail car wouldn't be able to stand up to the impact, thus the need for heavier rail cars like the DMU or EMU.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 12:56 PM

I wish every large American city embraced transit like Denver has.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:44 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ seriously. good job denver!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I wish every large American city embraced transit like Denver has.
Yeah....Denver had its issues in the past re: congestion and air quality, but they seem to 1) really 'get it' now, in terms of the need for public transit infrastructure and 2) Colorado political leadership is consistently astounding in their ability to get things done. re: #2, you COans might disagree, but having followed politics in places like Illinois, California, Michigan, etc you guys are really lucky in your political leadership.

What makes it so much better is the ambitious size of the built out network, especially relative to the size of Denver, which isn't that large of a city; the 17th largest Metro Area will have perhaps the 8th largest rail transit network in the country

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:34 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
There has also been issues with safety regarding the use of LRT's on tracks that will run adjacent to freight tracks. Several of the northern Fast Track lines run in existing freight corridors, and the concern is that if a freight train were to derail, a light rail car wouldn't be able to stand up to the impact, thus the need for heavier rail cars like the DMU or EMU.
-East Line to Denver International Airport (DIA) was reduced down to two choices in the EIS. The two finalists were Light Rail (LRT) and Electric Multiple Units (EMU - electric commuter rail). Two main factors lead the study to select EMU over LRT.
a.) Part of the line would run parallel to freight tracks and freight rail companies said they would no longer allow LRT along freight lines (because of some accident in another city in which they were sued).
b.) Also, being a line to the airport, it was decided that EMU cars provided the most room for luggage. EMU is also faster, traveling up to 85Mph to light rail's 55-65Mph max speed.

-North Metro Line was also seriously considered for LRT. However, it's alignment also followed freight rail and so LRT would not be allowed. Also it's lower projected ridership than other lines influenced DMU as more cost effective over EMU. Another factor is the possibility of this line being extended north to Greeley. DMU would be the favorite choice for such an extension (far to long of an extension for a LRT line).

-Northwest Corridor was studied for light rail, but determined to be too long a route to be financially feasible (41 mile route). It was also considered for rail up the US-36 medium, but grades exceeded 3% - too much for DMU. The existing freight rail route increased the travel time for the route by quite a bit. A compromise to to operate DMU service in existing freight ROW and also construct a full BRT line up the US-36 Medium to Boulder, Colorado - was agreed upon.

-Gold Line was supposed to be a Light Rail Line. At the 11th hour, freight rail companies said they would not approve LRT along the freight rail ROW where this project was planned to run. After an extensive last minute partial-EIS and community debate over alternatives - which included:
a.) A new alignment not along freight to allow LRT.
b.) Making the line a streetcar line down 38th Street.
c.) Existing ROW, DMU line
d.) existing ROW, EMU line
They decided on leaving the line in the same proposed alignment along the freight line and using EMU instead of LRT. The community most favored this compromise and the EIS showed it to be feasible.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:48 AM

nice

after seeing the conceptual renderings of union station, having two platform areas, one by station and other by CML, does not seem so bad

I love that map barbula made. If only it was in color...

Last edited by zaphod; Dec 10, 2007 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:44 AM

I was working on this one at one time... but lost the PSD. Anyways as an almost finished suplement map.
UAL2771 UAV
Nothing much more to say here.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 9:41 AM
Robotic Construction

SE line riders exceed forecast
34 new cars bought after rail stretch used heavily
By Sara Crocker
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/06/2007 04:02:37 AM MDT

Twenty minutes before 8 am and the RTD Park n Ride at Yale Ave. and I-25 is full. The parking lot fills up quickly and some people are upset because commuters are parking in the neighborhoods. (Post / RJ Sangosti)

Less than a year after the southeast light-rail line opened, the entire light-rail system carries nearly 61,000 people around the metro area on weekdays - 7,000 more than RTD expected.

Nearly 3 million people have ridden the southeast line since it opened in November, and it has already surpassed expectations, said Regional Transportation District spokesman Scott Reed.

"We are already at our projected ridership for the end of the first year of operation," he said.

And light rail will grow with its users. RTD has purchased 34 cars to add to the 83 already in the system, said RTD spokeswoman Daria Serna.

The new cars, which will be linked onto those already in service, should be running by the middle of 2009, she said.

Denver residents are becoming more transit-savvy, Reed said.

"It's good that people have caught on," he said. "I think people in this area are a pretty adaptive bunch."

Jonathan Howard is part of the evolution.

On an average weekday, he joins more than 32,000 riders of the southeast line, according to RTD's most recent count. Now that he takes the southeast line to work, the 51-year-old financial analyst has thought about selling his car.

"I prefer taking the train now," Howard said during a recent wait at Yale Station.

Still, there have been some bumps in the road, Reed said.

One of the biggest rider complaints is a lack of parking at some park-n-Rides.

Nine Mile, Orchard, Belleview and Yale park-n-Rides were 96 percent to 99 percent full in May, the latest month for which figures were available, according to RTD.

Reed acknowledged that some of these lots fill quickly, but he noted there are nearby park-n- Rides that are at less than half of their capacity.

Dayton, the station closest to Nine Mile, averages about 31 percent full.

Randy Marcove lives about a half-mile from the 129-space Yale park-n-Ride.

"The size of this lot's been inadequate since they've paved it," said Marcove, who on a recent weekday got one of the last spots.

He said that when the lot is full, he parks on the street, which has a two-hour limit on parking.

Marcove and others who park all day outside the lot said they have never been ticketed.

With cars lining the street, it can get crowded, commuters said.

"When I come back, I'll find cars parked all over," said commuter Ryk McDorman. "They'll park in every imaginable spot."

Also, light-rail fare enforcement has been beefed up.

At the beginning of the year, there were six fare inspectors for the entire light-rail system. Now, inspection duties have been given to security guards, and 75 people check for passes, Reed said.

The fare-evasion rate is less than 4 percent, he said.

Service on the southeast line is still in flux, with discussion continuing about limiting service on the G line - which runs from Lincoln to Nine Mile - because of poor ridership, but Reed said he is happy with how the southeast line has progressed.

"I think we've learned some very valuable lessons," he said. "Overall, we've been very pleased with how it's gone."

Staff writer Sara Crocker can be reached at 303-954-1661 or scrocker@denverpost.com.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation