HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
I might respect what you say more if you could possibly string together a coherent sentence.
I think thefourthtower is the most recent incarnation of Nostradamus the sixteenth century sooth sayer. It's going to be 200 or 300 hundred years before anyone figures out what he's talking about.

And here's a quatrain of Nostradamus' that seems to predict the building of the Capital Pointe building:
The unseen is discovered, hidden for such a long time,
He will, Migs, as a demi-God be honored;
This is when the moon completes her great cycle,
But through other's slanders, he will be dishonored.
Sounds pretty conclusive to me.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:44 AM

The 20 percent figure is discouraging. I'm sure it's as a result of refunds that were offered. Actual construction work on site, and sales may pick up again.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Now that is an understatement. Nonetheless, even a Sheraton (one of my favorite hotel brands) would be a significant improvement to this city's hotel scene.
Just for the record, in case you did not know, what is now the Ramada Hotel on Victoria & Broad was originally opened as the Sheraton Centre. It operated under that brand for many years. Then it became the Delta Regina, for what seemed like a couple of years. What is now the Delta Regina was originally opened as the Ramada Renaissance Hotel. And of course, the Hotel Saskatchewan was for many decades owned and operated by Canadian Pacific Hotels. Also, the old hotel on 11th & Rose, which is now the Holiday Inn Express was originally the Hotel Champlain and later became the Drake Hotel (also as the Sheraton-Drake), then it became the Chelton Inn before becoming the HI Express. And what is now the Seven Oaks on Albert was originally a Holiday Inn complete with the chain's iconic neon pylon sign.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:08 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:23 PM

[QUOTE=thefourthtower;5660851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr View Post
I think thefourthtower is the most recent incarnation of Nostradamus the sixteenth century sooth sayer. It's going to be 200 or 300 hundred years before anyone figures out what he's talking about.

And here's a quatrain of Nostradamus' that seems to predict the building of the Capital Pointe building:
The unseen is discovered, hidden for such a long time,
He will, Migs, as a demi-God be honored;
This is when the moon completes her great cycle,
But through other's slanders, he will be dishonored.
Sounds pretty conclusive to me.[/QUO Joe dont get upset, because i turned you down lol
WTF???

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:01 PM

Okay so from the LP article we learn now that hotel franchise has no buyer. This is discouraging. I am in the negative camp in this project since I do not trust Brightstar but even me, I at least thought the hotel would get built.

My Regina kin. Stop with the fluffy optimism. This is how sleazy developers take cities for a ride. If Brightstar can't get nothing moving, tell them to scram and have the land prepped for somebody who can make a project work. This writing is on the wall for such things to happen:

Brightstar will play-up the Saskpower construction and the construction of CP as one of the same. I bet my dollar on it! This will be done to mislead buyers into getting back in.

We have the Grey Cup next year. It defies logic that nobody has stepped up to get the hotel franchise. This hammers in a point I made many pages back in which I feel Brightstar has a terrible reputation and nobody wants to dive into the pool with them on this project. A cash cow like the GC and a claustrophobic hotel market in the city and yet nobody is biting? This is jokes.

Lastly the 10-20% of people whom have deposits in should pull them out. Brightbar can't get any financing if it has NO COLLATERAL (i.e. Buyers) and I assume since their timelines are delayed they are running low or dry on initial investment capital. My guess is they are using the current deposits for promo and ad money to try and boost sales. If they continue to be a hassle in giving back money this is a clear sign they are dipping the hands in the money jar.

Brightstar is a group of clowns. 1BloorEast in Toronto has gone through 2 different proposals with construction going on on number 2 in the same time as CP.

You may see Brightstar start to tweak prices on the back end. Some condo projects when they are desperate for sales start to operate like airlines. In the office you, your realtor and Brightstar agree to a silet prices. You may get a great deal.. Maybe not. The fact is that it ends up a case where nobody in the unit has similar prices and down the road makes a mess of price assessments for sales. But hey but that time Brightstar is long gone. This is a crooks move on Condo projects and would be a last gasp effort by them to get things going.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Okay so from the LP article we learn now that hotel franchise has no buyer. This is discouraging. I am in the negative camp in this project since I do not trust Brightstar but even me, I at least thought the hotel would get built.

My Regina kin. Stop with the fluffy optimism. This is how sleazy developers take cities for a ride. If Brightstar can't get nothing moving, tell them to scram and have the land prepped for somebody who can make a project work. This writing is on the wall for such things to happen:

Brightstar will play-up the Saskpower construction and the construction of CP as one of the same. I bet my dollar on it! This will be done to mislead buyers into getting back in.

We have the Grey Cup next year. It defies logic that nobody has stepped up to get the hotel franchise. This hammers in a point I made many pages back in which I feel Brightstar has a terrible reputation and nobody wants to dive into the pool with them on this project. A cash cow like the GC and a claustrophobic hotel market in the city and yet nobody is biting? This is jokes.

Lastly the 10-20% of people whom have deposits in should pull them out. Brightbar can't get any financing if it has NO COLLATERAL (i.e. Buyers) and I assume since their timelines are delayed they are running low or dry on initial investment capital. My guess is they are using the current deposits for promo and ad money to try and boost sales. If they continue to be a hassle in giving back money this is a clear sign they are dipping the hands in the money jar.

Brightstar is a group of clowns. 1BloorEast in Toronto has gone through 2 different proposals with construction going on on number 2 in the same time as CP.

You may see Brightstar start to tweak prices on the back end. Some condo projects when they are desperate for sales start to operate like airlines. In the office you, your realtor and Brightstar agree to a silet prices. You may get a great deal.. Maybe not. The fact is that it ends up a case where nobody in the unit has similar prices and down the road makes a mess of price assessments for sales. But hey but that time Brightstar is long gone. This is a crooks move on Condo projects and would be a last gasp effort by them to get things going.

I am not going to challenge all your points here, just two. Firstly, why would anyone rush construction of a $30 million+ hotel just so they can get 100% occupancy for 5 days during Grey Cup (versus 80% in a normal week). Secondly, you cannot tell someone who owns land to "scram" and give it to someone else. This is not the Soviet Union. They can sit on that emply lot as long as they want to pay taxes on it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Unless things are vastly different in Sask, the money laid down as a deposit is held in trust by a third party and is unavailable to the developer to spend. So the purchasers don't have to worry about that aspect, that said there is enough to worry about that I agree that they should be asking for refunds, these guys weren't ready and still aren't ready they appear to be learning as they go. There is more mistakes to be made along the way. The hotel has been shopped around and no one is interested meaning they will have to slash the return to their financiers and reduce the price of the hotel portion. Most developers would hang onto the hotel portion for themselves with a 3rd party operator. These guys are either unable to swing the cost or have no interest in doing so, neither of which is overly appealing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Secondly, you cannot tell someone who owns land to "scram" and give it to someone else. This is not the Soviet Union
Well if it got bad enough it would just fall under Expropriation law and the city could put an art gallery there or something.

It would actually be a very similar situation to what happened to the Chateau Qu'Appelle... Let's hope it doesn't get that bad though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post

Lastly the 10-20% of people whom have deposits in should pull them out. Brightbar can't get any financing if it has NO COLLATERAL (i.e. Buyers) and I assume since their timelines are delayed they are running low or dry on initial investment capital. My guess is they are using the current deposits for promo and ad money to try and boost sales. If they continue to be a hassle in giving back money this is a clear sign they are dipping the hands in the money jar...
Other than Brightstar choosing to release people from their contracts, there are no means to have deposits refunded or pulled out. The purchase agreements have no exit clause and there is no legal recourse available to those who signed.

I know because I'm a fool who signed one and tried to get out of it. No luck!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:47 AM
Hmm....

There was a bit of an update on this project on Global News tonight. Not much new news was actually reported (they repeated the "Saskpower and the City wants to re-route the main power line, which will happen in May"), they also said it's unlikely the hotel will be open for the Grey Cup (which we also somewhat already knew), but they did say that they are no longer requiring unit purchasers to put down 20%. They will accept downpayments of 5% now. I think this could help boost sales a bit when the finally start digging. They had originally sold about 50% of units when you had to come up with 20% over the course of a year, so keeping it at 5% might bring in more people.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:23 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

The CP people said that they were originally going to incorporate into they're parking garage and incase it concrete. Now Saskpower wants the line to be completely re-routed.

What I find to be the most perplexing is that why did Saskpower changed it's mind on the power line now?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:31 PM

Just heard the Capital Pointe radio ad on newstalk.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
Just heard the Capital Pointe radio ad on newstalk.
When I was is Regina last Tuesday, I heard the "Capital Pointe" song twice on 92.1. (. . . . and saying "that's where the action is" 'n stuff like that! Hmm.) There are; however, numerous printed advertisements as well. In any case, they still must be serious about building this thing.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 1:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrlvr View Post
Likely more juice there, they said a "major" trunk line that services a large portion of the downdown. But I think the biggest factor is while GoR has no basement, CP is going down three or four storeys for the parkade. They'll have to detour it completely around the property. It will be a large project in itself.
This was from the GoR thread, buti thought I would bring this discussion here... I've noticed over the last few days that the realtor signage (Sutton) is now gone from the fencing... Not sure what's going on with it (the power line stuff is supposed to progress forward this month right?), but things are starting to look sketchy again... And just when I though they were starting to actually get back on track.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This was from the GoR thread, buti thought I would bring this discussion here... I've noticed over the last few days that the realtor signage (Sutton) is now gone from the fencing... Not sure what's going on with it (the power line stuff is supposed to progress forward this month right?), but things are starting to look sketchy again... And just when I though they were starting to actually get back on track.
Thanks Nathan, I should have put that here myself.

Sask Power starting work would be a very good sign, as they wouldn't do it if it wasn't for sure necessary. May is still young, and I'm not panicking yet. A couple of thoughts:

1. Maybe moving those pesky realtor signs is phase one of that job.

2. Seriously, maybe the same crew will be doing it, and they want to get the smaller job at GoR done first, before moving over to the CP site.

We'll just have to for a couple more weeks.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:14 AM

They changed their website up a little bit...Nothing too exciting and there isn't really anything new on there. They added a Media page which has the radio ad and a couple of articles. One of the articles mentions CP having a pub, restaurant, gourmet food store, and a "outlet for specialty beverage products" which will be wonderful if/when it happens.

There are also a couple of new renderings on the website. At least, none that I had seen before.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 6:28 PM

Has anyone heard the jazzy ad for capital pointe. I found it in the media section of the website. I am actually quite impressed with the production value.

Now if only construction would just start! It is a such a beautiful building!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 1:40 PM

I noticed the Capital Pointe condos are no longer listed on mls.ca.

Anyone know if mls listings just expire or if they are removed?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:49 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM4 View Post
I noticed the Capital Pointe condos are no longer listed on mls.ca.

Anyone know if mls listings just expire or if they are removed?
I think they've switched realtors again (the realtor signage on the fencing was gone a while back). As the listing are done by the realtors, it would make sense that they'd be taken down.

This happened probably about 2-3 weeks ago I think, but just recently I did get a new email from Capital Pointe... so it looks like they are still pushing forward... or trying to at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan