Penobscott Bldg. 18 36.73%
Guardian Bldg. 17 34.69%
Madden Bldg. 1 2.04%
Fisher Bldg. 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 5:31 AM
Closed account

Question The best Detroit skyscraper out of these choices

What is the best Detroit skyscraper out of these choices in your opinion ?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
Meh

I picked the Guardian Building. It's always been my favorite. Red brick was the best idea ever. My 2nd pic would have to be the David Scott Building.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 1:29 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

If it weren't for this atrocity (the skywalk), I might choose Guardian over the Fisher Building:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:27 PM

To me, the Penobscot, Fisher, and Guardian all are of the soaring, late 1920s decorative style of skyscrapers that is one of my favorite architectural styles. However, IMO, the Guardian narrowly wins out due to its distinctive color and its brilliantly colored interior, making it a true "cathedral of commerce" and a central part of the Detroit skyline.

Also, just a few things about names: Penobscot has one T, and Exodus, you might want to change the Madden Building to its current name, 150 West Jefferson. Not to sound nitpicky, but it'll help people find pictures of the buildings (and the Detroit diagram) to compare them. Thanks.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Aug 10, 2007 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I went with Penobscot, but it's really a toss-up between that, Fisher and Guardian. I'm curious why you picked those classics with something like the Comerica Building. Why not include the Book, for example, instead?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:31 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

How can someone post a poll like this and not include images?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:52 PM
Urban Explorer

What the hell is that metal protrusion doing sticking out of an otherwise-beautiful masonry-clad building?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:53 PM

The Stott is my actual favorite but among the list it would have to be the Guardian. It's hard to pick one because I like the Madden and love the other four. I'm most sentimental about the Penobscot but have always thought it'd have looked better less blocky at top. The Fisher is beautiful but I wish it was taller and One Detroit center is very attractive but it hasn't been around long enough to compete w/the classics in our skyline.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 5:35 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

"How can someone post a poll like this and not include images?"

True... (sorry for the quality; the weather wasn't too cooperative):

Penobscot:

Stott:

Stott (on the right):

Guardian:

Fisher (in the background):

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 7:21 PM

Guardian for detailing, Pebonscott for massing, Stott nails both. However, since it isn't an option, I went for Pebonscott.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 7:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I went with Penobscot, but it's really a toss-up between that, Fisher and Guardian. I'm curious why you picked those classics with something like the Comerica Building. Why not include the Book, for example, instead?
The Book Tower is beautiful, but I didn't think it would be fare to add it, because most people think it's ugly. It would look better if it was renovated and cleaned up a bit. It would also help if they were to take those towers and dishes off the roof.

Last edited by Exodus; Aug 10, 2007 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 9:26 PM
The True Avatar

Too tough to decide. Penobscot, Gaurdian, and Fisher are all great. But my favorite tower in Detroit is the Book Tower. It is too unique to ignore. It looks busy from a design standpoint and that might be one of its greatest charms.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwelt View Post
How can someone post a poll like this and not include images?
***UNCREDITED PHOTOS***

Last edited by SKYSCRAPERPAGE; Aug 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Good point about its current condition. I guess I look at it through those glasses that make old buildings look they did in their glorious heyday. I sometimes can't help but see what they once were.

Stott is another great building. Detroit is really blessed with some gorgeous classic buildings. The main thing that struck me about downtown Detroit the first time I visited was the number of incredible early-to-mid 20th century skyscrapers. I'm so happy to read that a lot of them are getting renovated and used again.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:30 PM
arf

Despite the parasite of a walkway that needs to be removed, out of these choices I had to go for Guardian, even though overall The Stott building is my actual favorite Detroit Building.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:57 PM
Closed account

I love the Stott, but I'm a little surprised at how many would vote for it over these other choices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 1928, The Penobscot was the 5th tallest building. It also had the second highest roof outside of those buildings with crowns, and had the second highest occupied floors. I found only 4 in NYC that was built at the time The Penobscot was built that was taller. I looked through the Chicago buildings, but couldn't find any taller at that time. Well, maybe one, but only if you include a really tall skinny spire.

Heres the top 5 in 1928, as far as I know. The Penobscot would have been the third tallest, if a spire and a statue wasn't counted on two of the other buildings. Though its tower is actually part of the buildings structure when constructed, which would have made it the third tallest period(664 ft. tall). But the tower was never counted into the height, though a statue can be counted on another building as official building height. Plus it had the second highest occupied floor.

If you want to include the Chicago Temple Bldg. Which its spire is only about two feet taller than the Penobscots parapet, but much shorter than the Penobscots tower, obviously.

Also, the Penobscot gets accused of ripping off the ESB quite often, when it is obvious that the Penobscot is 3 years older.

Last edited by Exodus; Aug 11, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 9:27 AM
Meh

I agree about that ugo skywalk, MayDay, but just do like I do and try and forget about it. I did until you brought it up. A building in Texas that I have a great love for that's in a similar situation is San Antonio's Tower Life Building. It's a beautiful gothic skyscraper with gargoyles, the lighting scheme is sick, but the building is topped with a horribly ugly, and massive antenna.

Anyway, about the Guardian Building's interior, YES, just check out the photos of it at Emporis.
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...detroit-mi-usa

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 4:29 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

I have always liked that Madden building with the rounded facade.....ever since I saw it in Sim City. It is distinctive and unusual but still fits in well and doesn't cause a disturbance with the other guys.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 6:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have always liked that Madden building with the rounded facade.....ever since I saw it in Sim City. It is distinctive and unusual but still fits in well and doesn't cause a disturbance with the other guys.
It is a fine looking building. It amazes me that a lot of people don't like it.

***UNCREDITED PHOTOS***

Last edited by SKYSCRAPERPAGE; Aug 15, 2007 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 10:05 PM

^ So THAT's the building from Sim City 3000.. what's its name? Hurt Plaza? Haha I've been playing SC3 since it came out and I'm still learning what real-life buildings inspired those in the game.

My vote is for the Guardian Building. To me it's just a quintessential deco tower, and above that it's flat-out intoxicating! If it were a girl, it'd be that exotic brunette seducing you with her deep fox eyes from across the room, just dying to get all animalistic on you...... mmm.... uh huh, yeah...

Although it should be noted that I love just about any art deco building in Detroit.. there's so many, and (just going by pictures, I've never visited)they all seem to be stellar examples of the style.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture