HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 12:05 AM
BANNED

HX,
I like the finish of the floor in the garage...not the typical concrete.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 1:16 AM

Thanks, it does look pretty good and more importantly it doesn't soak any liquids I'm at all, everything wipes off.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 9:15 PM

And the tree is in!

Before...

Had to dig around to find where the old drippers were, they were buried since the Mesquite Tree was removed a few years ago (got knocked down by a storm).

Success!

And it's here...

Good sized tree...now I'm wondering if I should or shouldn't trim those lower branches.

And after...

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 9:39 PM

That's a nice looking tree, and big! What size was it? 36" box? And how much did you pay again?

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 9:45 PM

Yea, 36" box and it was $599 + $59 delivery + tax.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 12:20 AM

I would suggest leaving most of the lower branches til the end of summer. They will help shade and protect the trunk from the sun. Keep it watered real good for the first week or two then you can cut back.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 3:26 PM

Good thinking on the sun/branches thing...I'll leave them alone until the winter.

As for watering, the instructions from Moon Valley Nursery says to water it thoroughly the first 3 days and then once a week from there on. Sound good?

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 7:19 PM

Any advice here guys?

The Sissoo doesn't seem to be doing all that great...looks kind of wilted and a few leaves are turning yellow/brown. I guess some is expected due to transplant shock but one thing that concerns me is when I'm watering the tree, the water going straight into the ground wherever I set the hose. I'm used to the water sort of pooling and then seeping into the ground. The dirt seems very sloshy...like it's not compacted at all.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 8:32 PM

If you got it planted and guaranteed, call up Moon Valley and ask them. They probably want you to call if you have a concern about your tree they guaranteed... plus keep track of every time you call them. If it really does die, you can show you've done your due diligence to keep it alive and they should replace it with no hassle (this happened to me about 7 years ago, I got a tree for my old house from them that died and they replaced it with no questions asked, most likely cause I called them a couple times).

I'm very worried about my keeping-trees-alive ability after this winter and after I have lost two trees I planted myself (due to unknown ailments or reasons).

However, I just got a new tree from Whitfil - Japanese Privet - and planted it last night. I'll take a pic of it later, assuming it's still alive.

Last edited by PHX31; May 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 8:43 PM

Yea, Moon Valley planted it. I just got off the phone with them and they said it sounds like the ground has not compacted around the root and to basically wet the ground and stop around to compact it. They also said to give it some of their "Moon Juice" fertilizer (which I have some of in the garage) for the next 3 weeks to help with the transplant shock.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:24 PM

So I have a customer who does custom landscapes and he said Moon Valley is notorious for doing this...what the are supposed to do is dig the hole, put the tree in, then fully fill the hole with water then put dirt back in. He said they leave the filling with water part out a lot of the time and you get the problem I have where the dirt didn't compact properly. He suggested that I make deep holes around the perimeter and shove a hose down and let it tickle for 24 hours to saturate the dirt and hopefully collapse the dirt on itself. I used a PVC pipe and was easily able to drive it 2.5 - 3 ft into the ground and have been filling it with water since 6pm yesterday. 

The tree does not look good though, the leaves all over are getting all crinkled on the edges...like ruffled, never seen a tree do that before.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Mexicans are supposed to be good at this stuff...wtf??

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 11:30 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
So if you live in an APS area you can get 3 free shade trees through a program they're doing right now:

http://www.aps.com/main/green/choice/choice_126.html

It looks limited to only mesquites & palo verdes, but still a good deal none the less.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 3:24 PM

So I had a customer of mine Trees for Needs come out and take a look and he said the tree looks ok, just normal transplant shock. He did recommend to remove the big stake that is right up against the tree because it actually damages the tree drunk, basically bruising it, and also doesn't allow the tree to sway which helps make it stronger. He said it's ok to wait until after this monsoon season though. I do still have two other stakes on the side which are ok to leave in (as you can see in the picture below).

About the water going straight into the ground and not pooling at the top, he said it will just take time since the dirt is very loose right now with the tree being newly planted. He did also recommend to build a moat around the tree trunk so that when it's watered, the water doesn't touch the trunk itself...I guess that's actually very bad for trees. You want to water it in a circle around the drip line, not around the trunk.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 6:34 PM

Ever since I went to Germany a couple years back and saw this at my wife's cousin's house I've wanted to get it for the back sliding patio door. The door faces directly west and the light and heat just kills you when you're in the living room. We never even use the room in the summer until after the sun goes does...it feels like radiation is pouring through.

They're called Roller Shutters...made of aluminum with a foam filling and they are sweet. Great for security as well...I would love them on all windows but they aren't cheap.

Video...the best part is at 00:18...I love how it does the total close thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zh82-u2DYI

This is how the room is without...yea BLINDING...notice we do have a vertical covering already...

And with them closed...

You can also set it to filter light through so it's not so cave like.

From outside...

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 9:38 PM

Damn...your patio now looks like a bodega. Just add a little graffitti and you're all set. Seriously though I now someone that has those covers on all of the windows. Some draw backs are that your association may not allow them, and they tend to be finicky if not maintained.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 7:16 PM

Haha...I like the bodega thing. But really, no one is going to see it when it's closed since everyone will be in the house when it's closed. I would love to have it on all windows but shit is expensive! Maybe do it in the bedroom later..that's the one place I would love to have it pitch black, I can't sleep once it's light outside.

On a side note, does anyone have summer (bermuda) grass that is good well yet? It's been hot enough to where I would think it should look good, but mine looks like crap. Ive increased the water and put some fertilizer...what else can I do?

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 9:50 PM

Mine looks like crap too. I think I need to water it more, but I think once the monsoon starts with the increase in humidity, the grass will kick in and start looking better. (I hope)

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 9:53 PM

I was actually giving some serious thought to doing that fake grass they have now...but I don't know, something about fake grass seems weird. It would look nice and save a lot on water, which is good...but doesn't grass itself have a cooling effect where that would actually get all hot?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 12:26 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I was actually giving some serious thought to doing that fake grass they have now...but I don't know, something about fake grass seems weird. It would look nice and save a lot on water, which is good...but doesn't grass itself have a cooling effect where that would actually get all hot?
I had artificial turf installed in the backyard a few years ago. I've been pleased with the results in terms of creating a soft play surface for the kids and not having to use water to maintain it.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) It works better in shade. As you mention, real grass cools itself. Fake grass heats up, and if you have to use water to cool it, the water savings are negated. I'm fortunate to have a backyard with lots of shade, so the turf is a good match for our environment.

2) Don't go cheap. The better quality turf costs more, but also looks and feels a lot better while lasting longer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest