HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 9:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
These problems are hardly unique to Winnipeg. King Street in Toronto has even worse issues with clubs and noise complaints as well as complaints of sun shading such as come with the James tower here.

Haha, a little light reading on the subject here.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lunds View Post
Well I can tell you from listening to other residents of the area - they hate the noise of people spilling out onto the streets after close (I'm not a fan either, but having lived in Osborne and Corydon, it doesn't bother me as much as someone who moved from a suburb). I think it's hilarious that we ostensibly moved downtown to be in on the "action", yet we've quickly adopted a "get off my lawn!" mentality. I wouldn't be surprised if noise bylaws etc... become enforced so tightly that it discourages nightclub business. Not to mention, clubs aren't nearly as popular now as they were 20 years ago. Pub culture is taking over.
Nice to hear from a poster who has lived in both the Corydon/Osborne and Exchange district as my self, 24/7 and experiencing the day to day life of these urban Winnipeg neighborhoods and the value you bring to these discussions.

I'll leave it at that. I'm a musician when I have the time and Volume tends not to bother me. But if I'm sleeping that street party on Corydon Ave drives me crazy. I accept it all and enjoy the life it brings to these areas.

I can always move to Tuxedo/Charleswood cottage country,(Did for many years). but it was too quiet and I had to head back to some life.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Haha, a little light reading on the subject here.
Yes I remember writing a report on a comparative study of King Spadina vs the Exchange.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Nice to hear from a poster who has lived in both the Corydon/Osborne and Exchange district as my self, 24/7 and experiencing the day to day life of these urban Winnipeg neighborhoods and the value you bring to these discussions.

I'll leave it at that. I'm a musician when I have the time and Volume tends not to bother me. But if I'm sleeping that street party on Corydon Ave drives me crazy. I accept it all and enjoy the life it brings to these areas.

I can always move to Tuxedo/Charleswood cottage country,(Did for many years). but it was too quiet and I had to head back to some life.
Thanks Cyro! I'm a pretty good sleeper I guess, and in the evenings I really like hearing conversations from the street (a bit voyeuristic I suppose?), I actually feel safer knowing there are people around at all times. So far the most annoying incident has been the mosquito fogger blowing a blast right in to my bedroom window (building sits directly on the lane).

ETA: my husband's family lives in the Whiteshell and I swear I'm driven insane by the sound of my own pulse out there at night. I lie awake sleepless every time we go out there.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lunds View Post
Thanks Cyro! I'm a pretty good sleeper I guess, and in the evenings I really like hearing conversations from the street (a bit voyeuristic I suppose?), I actually feel safer knowing there are people around at all times. So far the most annoying incident has been the mosquito fogger blowing a blast right in to my bedroom window (building sits directly on the lane).

ETA: my husband's family lives in the Whiteshell and I swear I'm driven insane by the sound of my own pulse out there at night. I lie awake sleepless every time we go out there.
I consider the conversations quite entertaining so were on the same page on that one. It's amazing what people will say when they don't know your listening, kinda fly on the wall analogy..

It sounds very similar to me. I love going to the lake or cottage etc. but I'm so use to everyday street noise and life it's hard to leave it for complete solitude for very long periods of time. I admit it, I've been urbanized!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 3:50 PM

Workers are putting up scaffolding on Elgin Ave. behind the building owned by StreetSide between 133 Market and Brick Fine Furniture. They're preparing to do pointing work. I don't believe there are any immediate plans to develop that building just yet. Am thinking this is just maintenance.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:11 PM
BANNED

^dependent on parking, so who knows, but I heard that it (139/145 Market) might actually be starting soon. 67 residential units and 2 CRU's.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:37 PM

Not much news since the last article - still denied. I hope this guy finds a way to fund the remediation, I'd hate to see that building sit empty for 20 years while the south Main renewal project goes on around it.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...?device=mobile

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
Not much news since the last article - still denied. I hope this guy finds a way to fund the remediation, I'd hate to see that building sit empty for 20 years while the south Main renewal project goes on around it.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...?device=mobile
This one is not actually in the Exchange District, it's south of Portage. But yeah, it is tragi-comic that someone attempted to rehabilitate a heritage building and ended up dooming it (through no apparent fault of his own, mind you) in the process.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 3:25 PM

Articles on the Exchange and Waterfront District:

Style Manitoba

http://issuu.com/stylemanitoba/docs/...ba_summer_2014

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
Articles on the Exchange and Waterfront District:

Style Manitoba

http://issuu.com/stylemanitoba/docs/...ba_summer_2014
Providing some good information. I like the interactivy of the website in how it presents Style Manitoba

Did some work for the Opera, WSO and MTC for short periods of time some time ago. They really are the cultural backdrop for the Exchange Distict and Winnipeg as a whole.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:17 PM

I see they started digging up parts of Bertha between James and Market this week. Looks like some infrastructure work as there's sewer pipes laying around. Does anyone know if it's just infrastructure work or is this part of the Bertha/Elgin streetscaping?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I see they started digging up parts of Bertha between James and Market this week. Looks like some infrastructure work as there's sewer pipes laying around. Does anyone know if it's just infrastructure work or is this part of the Bertha/Elgin streetscaping?
Unfortunately, it's just water main repairs (I live on James, got a letter from the city 2 weeks ago). There are however a TON of red spray-paint markings on he sidewalks throughout the neighbourhood, which would seem to point to them starting the streetscape work soon, but it's getting a little late in the season already no?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's just water main repairs (I live on James, got a letter from the city 2 weeks ago). There are however a TON of red spray-paint markings on he sidewalks throughout the neighbourhood, which would seem to point to them starting the streetscape work soon, but it's getting a little late in the season already no?
Concrete work can be done until the end of October / middle of Novemeber. The contractors will put insulated tarps or straw on top to keep the concrete warm while it cures.

Last edited by cllew; Sep 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed today Market between Rorie and Bertha had spray paint markings all over it. As well, markings on the gravel down Elgin. If they're digging to put water mains down there, I'd think the streetscaping is on it's way. I live in the area also, so am anxious to see more changes.

Last edited by oftheMoon; Sep 3, 2014 at 2:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:18 PM

Streetscaping of Market, Bertha and Elgin beginning today.

Also, The province is supposed to be issuing a new Request for the Proposals for the James parking structure in the near future.

Last edited by oftheMoon; Sep 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post

Also, The province is supposed to be issuing a new Request for the Proposals for the James parking structure in the near future.

The thing to note about this is that it is another RFP for a Developer. They are not issuing an RFP for Design or Construction which means if no developers want to touch this nothing will happen........just like where we are right now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The thing to note about this is that it is another RFP for a Developer. They are not issuing an RFP for Design or Construction which means if no developers want to touch this nothing will happen........just like where we are right now.
Maybe something is lined up behind the scenes and they are just going through the process. Speculation..

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Unfortunate. The Pump House project was directly tied in to the parkade coming to fruition, regardless of other issues.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Unfortunate. The Pump House project was directly tied in to the parkade coming to fruition, regardless of other issues.
If building on top the Pumphouse was cost prohibitive, may same group could build where parkade would go and have large parkade for area and a highrise condo/apartment...with parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan