HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 3:14 PM

Anyone know what happened to 4th Street Deli on Pine Avenue?

My wife and I passed by and noticed the space is empty. I had just told my wife about this place a few weeks when she asked me about a good deli in our neighborhood (thanks to the recommendation of a SSP forumer post). She loved this place and was hooked. Now all of a sudden they are closed, no word from the staff or anything, what gives.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 4:58 AM

Pike

LBPost.com reports that this week Building D-2 at the Pike will be torn down to provide a new gateway/gathering place. This is the building located across Aquarium Way from the Hooters all the way to the Ferris Wheel. The center of the Pike will now be visible from Shoreline Drive.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Anyone know what happened to 4th Street Deli on Pine Avenue?
According to the Gazette, it closed. It's sad to see another business go. Might I suggest Modica's in the Cooper Arm's?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paczki View Post
LBPost.com reports that this week Building D-2 at the Pike will be torn down to provide a new gateway/gathering place. This is the building located across Aquarium Way from the Hooters all the way to the Ferris Wheel. The center of the Pike will now be visible from Shoreline Drive.
They started on Wednesday and finished on Wednesday, that building is gone! I think it look better already! The theater, Colsdstone, and everything is viewable from Shoreline Dr., totally opens it up in a good way!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:28 PM
SC made me a hippie

Has anyone noticed all the construction in a retail space in the pacific court apartments on Broadway next to the Cigar shop? I saw them putting in chairs and tables yesterday...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:21 AM

The now abandoned Sipology building on Broadway in this jeep commercial at around 00:13:00:
(along with numerous San Diego spots).

http://youtu.be/aItlqgZe344

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKV11000 View Post
The now abandoned Sipology building on Broadway in this jeep commercial at around 00:13:00:
(along with numerous San Diego spots).

http://youtu.be/aItlqgZe344
Sipology is gone now too?!? Jesus... can this city keep ANY business here?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
I been there a couple of times, but was a bit turned off by the rudeness of the staff. I like the set up and love the setting but in order to keep customers you also have to know how to treat them. Too add to the fact their cappuccino/food was just okay, not bad but not great either. I also know they had a lot of complaints on yelp about the bad service.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 6:13 PM

I was at home for a few days and took some pictures of newly started and long-completed developments.

The Long Beach Senior Arts Colony is going up on Locust and Anaheim near the Anaheim Metro Blue Line Station. It will include two connected buildings, one 6 stories another 4 stories, with a total of 200 units. Here is a rendering:

Image courtesy of the LBPost via Studio One Eleven.

Here are some shots I took of the construction:

Click here for more renderings from the Meta Housing website.

Here are some photos of the recently finished Coronado along Atlantic between Hill and 20th Street, which includes 48 townhouses and flats:

And finally, 2355 Long Beach Blvd at Burnett which was completed in 2010 and includes 46 affordable units for families:

Last edited by CityKid; Aug 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Added rendering

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
Wife and I rode our bikes down there to grab up a coffee and do a little work. There was a note from the landlord saying that the tenants had abandoned the shop and if anyone needed to claim any personal items they may do so by calling his/her number. We ended up going to Berlin (in Fingerprints) instead and it was worth it.

I believe that Creama on 4th is closed also...either that or they're never open.

Let's hope Kress Market survives.

Last edited by SKV11000; Sep 1, 2011 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 3:02 AM

On another note. I'm not sure if any of you caught the article but the Press Telegram Building, what's left of it, is going to be the host of some sort of opera in 2013 and will at least be preserved until then. The parking lot around the building has been repaved and a blue wavy fence (that gives me vertigo when i ride my bike past it) has been raised all around it. They were filming one of the crime shows there last week and had a couple truck loads of prop police cars parked on the street. Nice to see this place getting utilized and hope future plans for this area include awesomeness.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:44 PM

Was at the Pike and saw these two renderings, I took a picture of them with my phone. Looks like they will add a restaurant that opens up to Shoreline Drive:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:46 PM

Long Beach Airport Awarded Over $6 Million in FAA Grants

Long Beach Airport Awarded Over $6 Million in FAA Grants

Long Beach Post
October 11, 2011

“Long Beach Airport (LGB) has announced receipt of two United States Department of Transportation grants totaling $6.1 million dollars. The award comes through the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and will fund two key airfield improvements and an Airfield Geometry Study. The new awards bring total 2011 FAA funding to $8.1 million.

"LGB continues to do a great job of securing key FAA grants to support the Airport Modernization Plan," Mayor Bob Foster said. "These dollars are essential to maintaining our airport, which is one of the most important economic assets to our city."

As part of LGB's Green Initiatives, the largest grant of $5 million will fund the installation of electrical power at each aircraft parking position, which will directly benefit residents and passengers by improving air quality at the airport through eliminating the use of diesel powered Ground Power Units on the Air Carrier Ramp. The grant will also fund the reconstruction of deteriorated pavement on Taxiways E, F and the ramp…”

http://www.lbpost.com/news/staffreports/12524

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.islandoflongbeach.com/

Featured on News Networks around the world, the Island of Long Beach is a proposed project for the complete restoration and reactivation of the original Queen Mary with the addition of a 1920's seaside Shopping, Dining and Entertainment district to be constructed in Long Beach, California.

Started for the purpose of what could be done to help preserve and restore history, the Island of Long Beach has continued to revolve and expand beyond its original ideas continually growing to the project it is today and even looking beyond into the future.

The Island of Long Beach with the American Liner Project and the Queen's Project in creating History Lines Steamship Company brings together teams from around the world made of engineers, contractors, designers, doctors, artists and more to not only preserve history, but to ensure history survives and thrives.

At a time where Californias employment rate is at 11.7%, the Island of Long Beach would have one of the largest economic impacts ever in history, with the employment of more than 300,000 people, an injection of more than $25 billion into the California, United States and Great Britain economies, some 12 million new tourists to the Los Angeles area in addition to the revitalization of Long Beach as the leading world Destination.

Once completed, the Island of Long Beach will stand alone as a unique travel destination found nowhere else on earth, featuring over 2,000 hotel rooms, some 30 rides & attractions, 30 restaurants, more than 300 retail stores, a convention center, museums, boardwalks, air transportation, harbor cruises, yachting, and so much more.

Whether staying a day, weekend or week, the Island of Long Beach offers a kind of fun found nowhere else on earth. Its not a theme park; its not a resort -- its so much more. It truly is a destination through history to discover.

Note: Neither The Island of Long Beach nor any of their associated companies are affiliated with the Save the Queen, LLC nor Garrison Investments. The Island of Long Beach and their associated companies are independent companies operated under the Island of Long Beach Limited.
Read More: http://www.islandoflongbeach.com/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 6:35 PM
Exploring the Cosmos

Island of Long Beach, that would have been my teenage wet-dream. I doubt seriously that they could scrounge up the Billions of dollars this project would cost.
Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation.-Robert F. Kennedy

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:58 PM

Stimulus helps fund Long Beach port improvements

The Port of Long Beach received $17M of the discretionary US Dept. of Transportation TIGER grants that help fund intermodal projects. This money come from the Recovery Act.

Project Description
"The Port of Long Beach will improve the lead tracks to two rail yards and relieve a chokepoint at the Ocean Boulevard overcrossing, where a large portion of the cargo transits enters or exits the port property. The project will improve efficiency and reduce the environmental impact of freight movements, and create jobs, enabling the port to move 35% of goods via on-dock rail by 2035..."

Project Benefits
"The project will improve the efficiency and sustainability of operations at the Port of Long Beach through a major rail realignment at the Ocean Boulevard overcrossing. Freight operations at the Port of Long Beach have far-reaching impacts on the U.S. economy. The port, together with the adjacent Port of Los Angeles, move approximately 40% of the nation’s containerized goods. The project will move those goods more efficiently and cost effectively, reducing the amount of trucks on the road, associated road maintenance costs, and greenhouse gas emissions in the Los Angeles area and throughout the western and central United States..."

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2011/FY2011TIGER.pdf

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:18 PM

Long Beach to consider upscale redevelopment of coastal hotel (LA Times)

Here's a link to the developer's website: http://www.secondandpch.com/projectimages.html. This looks good to me, although I think it has too much parking, which will only lead to more auto congestion. When we grew up near here, this area looked dated and that was 15-20 years ago.

Long Beach to consider upscale redevelopment of coastal hotel
$320-million project at PCH and 2nd would bring jobs and revenue, supporters say. Foes fear more traffic, pollution and a precedent for high-rises.

Owner Raymond Lin says the SeaPort Marina Hotel in Long Beach has over the years gone from "from four stars to three stars, to 1 1/2." (Bob Chamberlin, Los Angeles Times)

By Ruben Vives
Los Angeles Times
December 19, 2011
Next to Alamitos Bay

"Marina in southeast Long Beach sits the SeaPort Marina Hotel, a collection of pink low-rise strips sprawling across 11 acres of dry grass and concrete.

Built in 1963 for $3 million, the hotel on Pacific Coast Highway and 2nd Street was once a jewel on the water's edge. Then known as the Edgewater Inn, it lured Hollywood celebrities and boasted three restaurants, two cocktail lounges, a yacht catering service and privacy.

Time has not been kind, however.

"It went from four stars to three stars, to 1 1/2 ," owner Raymond Lin said..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...443,full.story

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:41 PM

Photo update of the Senior Arts Colony

These were all taken by me a couple of weeks ago. It's just now starting to come out of the ground.

I would have taken more shots, but it was kind of hard to cross Anaheim at that intersection without a crosswalk. Something tells me they will have to do that once this building is finished.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:45 AM

Wow this board has been dead lately... I guess not a lot of building in the city. The Arts colony is coming up (the post before me)... and the courthouse downtown is actually starting to rise up from the ground!!

I have a question... what's up with that old crappy building on LB Blvd and 1st/Broadway? It says "City Hall East" but it has a chain-link fence surrounding it, and looks like it's been vacant for years. Are they going to tear this damn thing down or what?!?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press-Telegram LONG BEACH, CA

Port of Long Beach expansion to create thousands of jobs
By Karen Robes Meeks, Staff Writer
Press-Telegram LONG BEACH, CA
Posted: 01/19/2012 05:26:06 PM PST

LONG BEACH — After a year of negotiations, Port of Long Beach officials have reached a tentative lease agreement with Orient Overseas Container Line on the future Middle Harbor development — a partnership that could make Long Beach the nation's busiest seaport and create thousands of new jobs.

The 40-year lease with the Hong Kong-based container shipping and logistics service company is a $4.6 billion commitment to "the biggest port terminal project in North America," said Port Executive Director J. Christopher Lytle.

"This agreement will allow us to move ahead with construction of the most technologically advanced and greenest terminal in the world," said Lytle, who made the announcement Thursday at his first State of the Port address at the Long Beach Convention Center.

The agreement, which is expected to go before the Harbor Commission on Monday, validates the city's commitment to infrastructure, said Mayor Bob Foster.

"In order for this port to thrive, in order for it to remain the economic engine that it is, we have to expand and we have to be able to move greater volumes of cargo at greater velocities," Foster said.

Foster added that he had spoken to the president of OOCL at the Long Beach Area Chamber of Commerce event, which brought more than 600 city and business leaders.

"He said it's the largest commitment they've made anywhere in the world," the mayor said. "So it demonstrates that we are right in what we said. We're going to plan for the future. We're going to have a port for the future."

OOCL Chief Executive Officer Philip Chow said in a statement that he is very pleased with reaching an agreement with the port to operate the Middle Harbor project.

"It demonstrates our long-term commitment to the Port of Long Beach as the gateway of choice for North America and solidifies our economic partnership with the region," Chow said. "We look forward to seeing the positive impact that this commitment will have for years to come."

Chow declined requests for an interview after the State of the Port address.

Work is already under way on the $1.2 billion redevelopment project, which seeks to fuse two old shipping terminals encompassing 294 acres into a new 345-acre terminal. Improvements will include upgraded wharfs, water access and storage area and an expanded on-dock rail yard from 10,000 linear feet to 75,000, which means less local truck trips, Lytle said.

When completed in 2019, the Middle Harbor is supposed to help improve cargo movement by more than double, cut air pollution by as much as half and add about 14,000 permanent jobs to the local economy, officials said.

"This terminal will be the crown," Lytle said after the event. "It will be the terminal that will represent the highest efficiency, we think, of any terminal in the country. Customers will want to come to that terminal to have their cargo handled there."

The agreement comes at significant time, officials said.

"It's great, especially now with the down economy," Lytle said. "There's a lot of pessimism in the industry, but OOCL is taking that long-term view and looking ahead and realizing that this continues to be a premiere gateway."

OOCL, a Port of Long Beach customer since 1969, would take up roughly 305 acres, and could move into the new space as early as 2016, Lytle said.

"When they're up to capacity, that terminal would equate to the fourth largest port in the U.S. - that terminal alone, when it's up to 3.1 million TEUs (20-foot equivalent units)," Lytle said.

With the Middle Harbor, Long Beach has the potential to overtake Los Angeles as the nation's busiest seaport.

About 6.1 million 20-foot-equivalent containers were moved in 2011 by Long Beach port shipping terminals, while more than 7.94 million cargo containers passed through the Port of Los Angeles last year. If this trend continues and the Middle Harbor reaches capacity, the Port of Long Beach would top 9 million TEUs.

"This lease, if it gets approved, is really going to shape the Port of Long Beach and Long Beach for the next 40 years," said Susan E. Anderson Wise, president of the Long Beach Harbor Commission. "It secures the future for us."
Read More: http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_19777252

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West