HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
I would be really surprised if Costco would be moving out of there. It has brought a bit more life in the tedious and lifeless western end of the mall - was like that between Eaton's closure and Costco's opening. They opened a few good stores in addition in that area such as Atmosphere and Archambault. Though I'm missing the Chinese buffet restaurant in that same area - seems according the mall's site it's a sushi buffet shop or something like that.

Though I haven't heard about an opening date for Simon's if they do open one in Gatineau. So probably the one planned for St-Laurent would be before that.

Maybe with Simon's possibly setting here, maybe Les Ailes de la Mode could have a second attempt at our market here but in Gatineau instead rather then repeating the Bayshore fiasco which only lasted for 20 months or something like that.

There might a little bit of space in the SE portion of the property, to built a small expansion which could accommodate either a Simon's or Les Ailes. The other one might land in Le Plateau.
If they don't lose Costco (which has been great for breathing more life into Les Promenades as others have said) and get a Simons as well, Les Promenades and even the immediate area would be a killer shopping destination.

I believe Les Promenades does have more than enough space for a new building for a Simons on its property. What they would probably do is sacrifice some surface parking and then build some multi-level parkades like St. Laurent and Bayshore. There is no reason why this could not be done.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Heard on CTV that a Simon's store could be in the works for Gatineau. Now, as far as the location, I would though Les Promenades would be the place, but all large spaces seems to be occupied. Though I find it odd that Urban Planet uses a large space - the former Steinberg/Super C/Metro location just east of the bus terminal. Though maybe it would be too small for Simon's. My fear is that it will land in Le Plateau where there is still tons of space available. I think the last stores are at the corner of Des Grives or about 200-300 meteres to the west. With a new access road to le Plateau open from Highway 148, that could mean an easier access to the big boxes. I see a 50% chance that Simon's will install in Le Plateau.
Although the western part of the city of Gatineau (Plateau, Aylmer) is slightly richer than the more eastern parts, I highly doubt Simons would go for Le Plateau. This is all big boxes and Simons is typically anchored onto an indoor mall. All of the Simons on suburban boulevards are part of malls - not stand-alone stores. The only stand-alone stores it has are on very busy downtown shopping streets like Ste-Catherine in Montreal and in the old part of Quebec City. There are no areas like this in Gatineau so if they come to the Outaouais québécois it would almost certainly be at Les Promenades.

The only other mall option is Les Galeries de Hull but this mall appears to be totally maxed out on its site. It would be a real coup de force to squeeze a Simons somewhere in there.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:40 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If they don't lose Costco (which has been great for breathing more life into Les Promenades as others have said) and get a Simons as well, Les Promenades and even the immediate area would be a killer shopping destination.

I believe Les Promenades does have more than enough space for a new building for a Simons on its property. What they would probably do is sacrifice some surface parking and then build some multi-level parkades like St. Laurent and Bayshore. There is no reason why this could not be done.
Yeah I don't understand why they haven't build parkades, not that I care much about that. Sure some expansion would be great there at les Promenades before the Rapibus gets completed.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

This is the portion I was talking about on building an addition to accomodate a Simon's or Les Ailes. A two-story addition could fit well so to avoid removing too much parking (once again not I care that much about parking space)
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:53 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Marketplace complex getting more and more massive and will get even more with the new Transitway open now in Barrhaven. The whole complex must be approaching Jockvale and Longfields now.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah I don't understand why they haven't build parkades, not that I care much about that. Sure some expansion would be great there at les Promenades before the Rapibus gets completed.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

This is the portion I was talking about on building an addition to accomodate a Simon's or Les Ailes. A two-story addition could fit well so to avoid removing too much parking (once again not I care that much about parking space)
Plus that section of the parking lot is always empty. Except at Christmas time.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Plus that section of the parking lot is always empty. Except at Christmas time.
Good call. If they added parkades this would make sense. Simons stores a generally pretty big so I would expect a 2 story if they were able to move into les Promenades. Prob a re-do of the food court as well as that would prob be the area they would use to link to the new addition.

All speculation of course, but it would be a great addition wherever it goes.

les Galeries de Hull I think is maxed out on space unless they go up, and I cannot see that happening.

There is a huge open space at the corner of St-Joseph and Montclair but as someone mentioned Simons are usually in Malls...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:54 PM
Awesome!

Now with Target acquiring most of the Zellers stores, there is still nothing about the fate of the ones at Place Cartier and at Galeries Aylmer. They might continue as Zellers for some time, but if those two Zellers closed in the long range (although the one in Hull is busy still not sure about the Aylmer one), those two malls could be candidates as well for a Simon's. This would certainly help those two simili-dead malls especially Place Cartier.

Forget about the Galeries de Hull, the only chance a Simons would fit there is that they would built a third story or if Sears moves out which is very unlikely.

The Bay is two floors at les Promenades right?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:17 PM
Busy Beaver

A super long shot, but wouldn't be amazing if Simons went for the Portage area. Maybe on first two floors of 22 Eddy or somehow connected to Place du Centre (maybe in the old convention centre space)? It would really liven up that part of town and give old downtown Hull a defibrillator zap.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:28 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Good call. If they added parkades this would make sense. Simons stores a generally pretty big so I would expect a 2 story if they were able to move into les Promenades. Prob a re-do of the food court as well as that would prob be the area they would use to link to the new addition.

All speculation of course, but it would be a great addition wherever it goes.

les Galeries de Hull I think is maxed out on space unless they go up, and I cannot see that happening.

There is a huge open space at the corner of St-Joseph and Montclair but as someone mentioned Simons are usually in Malls...
I wouldn't rule that scenario out though, if Ivanhoe-Cambridge (same owners as Bayshore) would buy that land on the SE corner, they could built another section and connect both halves with a pedestrian walkway above Montclair. This is a fairly substantial lot. So it could fit a Simon's or maybe dozens more stores in a two-story addition. Maybe they could also integrate the Maxi store with the mall as well. We need to get rid of those disgusting empty lots on St-Joseph. It is getting ridicoulus how this boulevard considered as a Main Street is such in bad shape, it is embarrasing.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...,93.45,,0,4.06

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Now with Target acquiring most of the Zellers stores, there is still nothing about the fate of the ones at Place Cartier and at Galeries Aylmer. They might continue as Zellers for some time, but if those two Zellers closed in the long range (although the one in Hull is busy still not sure about the Aylmer one), those two malls could be candidates as well for a Simon's. This would certainly help those two simili-dead malls especially Place Cartier.
I have heard the several of the non-Target Zellers will become Wal-Marts, but I doubt Place Cartier will - it is too close to Le Plateau. Aylmer? Maybe.

As for Simons, these dying malls are not prestigious enough for them. They'd never go there. Even Les Promenades was not really nice enough until it got spiffied up fairly recently. Now I think it is OK though, certainly as high-end as Le Carrefour de l'Estrie in Sherbrooke, which has a Simons.

Quote:
The Bay is two floors at les Promenades right?
Yes it is.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
A super long shot, but wouldn't be amazing if Simons went for the Portage area. Maybe on first two floors of 22 Eddy or somehow connected to Place du Centre (maybe in the old convention centre space)? It would really liven up that part of town and give old downtown Hull a defibrillator zap.
I think we would all love that but we are not even daring to dream. Too remote a possibility!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I wouldn't rule that scenario out though, if Ivanhoe-Cambridge (same owners as Bayshore) would buy that land on the SE corner, they could built another section and connect both halves with a pedestrian walkway above Montclair. This is a fairly substantial lot. So it could fit a Simon's or maybe dozens more stores in a two-story addition. Maybe they could also integrate the Maxi store with the mall as well. We need to get rid of those disgusting empty lots on St-Joseph. It is getting ridicoulus how this boulevard considered as a Main Street is such in bad shape, it is embarrasing.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...,93.45,,0,4.06
It would be fantastic for the streetscape along St-Joseph but it will never happen. Too imaginative for our people!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
What old convention centre space? Do you mean the Palais des congres? Because it has been recently renovated, and is now under new management, and is a very attractive space compared to the old rundown palais des congres of a couple years ago. If only they would improve their website, it has floor plans, but no pictures, no availability calendar : http://www.congresgatineau.com/ they could at least get some ideas from the new Ottawa Convention Centre website.

I think like most of you, that a first choice for Simons in the Outaouais would be Les Promenades. They could do something similar to what they did at Carrefour Laval, where they basically built a 2 storey standalone store, with one side connected to the mall. This could be done easily and cheaply just South of the foodcourt area as like some of you mentioned, that is a big underutililized chunk of asphalt for the time being.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
National Capital Region

RioCan planning Ottawa outlet mall
http://www.obj.ca/Real%20Estate/Non-...-outlet-mall/1

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 3:48 PM

Talking

I guess we can use an outlet mall. Particularly like that Riocan is doing it because I own units of their REIT. I like shopping at Riocan malls therefore.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 4:13 PM
Citizen-at-large

I particularly like the idea of Ottawa getting an outlet mall because it will be a real boost to the local economy.

Usually with these sorts of developments, there is some announcement of how many new retail jobs will be created, but I treat that with skepticism. Essentially, these are jobs that would exist anyway, just at a different store: the market is there for the retail opportunity in Ottawa, so a specific development does not create jobs that wouldn't otherwise be created.

However, in this case, Ottawa has a market for Outlet stores, but it is a market that is driving to the US to fill the niche. By building an outlet mall in Ottawa, we are actually creating jobs/growing the local economy (or rather, pulling them up to us locally from where they are currently located in upstate New York).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:49 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
What old convention centre space? Do you mean the Palais des congres? Because it has been recently renovated, and is now under new management, and is a very attractive space compared to the old rundown palais des congres of a couple years ago. If only they would improve their website, it has floor plans, but no pictures, no availability calendar : http://www.congresgatineau.com/ they could at least get some ideas from the new Ottawa Convention Centre website.

I think like most of you, that a first choice for Simons in the Outaouais would be Les Promenades. They could do something similar to what they did at Carrefour Laval, where they basically built a 2 storey standalone store, with one side connected to the mall. This could be done easily and cheaply just South of the foodcourt area as like some of you mentioned, that is a big underutililized chunk of asphalt for the time being.
Definitely much better, not sure if there is more space then before after I`ve compared it this April during a meeting regarding the 2011 Census to versus the times I was there for PS exams, the Salon du Livre or my high school graduation back in 2001.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:50 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
It would be fantastic for the streetscape along St-Joseph but it will never happen. Too imaginative for our people!
They would prefer to do fancy stuff in new development but not on St-Joseph. Just sad how this artery is being neglected.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 9:53 PM

Rideau Centre handover complete

With this news hopefully we'll see some expansion plans sooner than later.

Quote:
Rideau Centre handover complete

Cadillac Fairview looking to expand plaza, add new tenants

After gradually increasing its ownership stake in the Rideau Centre during the past decade, Cadillac Fairview Corp. Ltd. assumed full control of the downtown shopping mall Tuesday.

Topics : Cadillac Fairview , Rideau Centre , Ontario Teachers , Ottawa , Vancouver , Calgary
The real estate arm of the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan became the mall's sole owner last year, but only took over full management responsibilities at the start of this November.

A Cadillac Fairview executive said the company intends to move ahead with the mall's long-awaited expansion, but offered no specific timeline.

"The mall is very successful, very high sales performance. We expect to, as we develop and increase the size, see additional new tenants - but I don't expect we'll see (existing tenants) leave. You'll see change as we see additions," said Andrea Stephen, executive vice-president of investment for Cadillac Fairview.

While declining to name potential tenants with whom the firm is in discussions, she said the company is talking with several "who would be new to the market" in Ottawa.

"There's been a fair bit of new leasing that's been done over the past couple of years that increased the sales performance," Ms. Stephen said.

One example is the Apple store, which has brought a lot of new traffic and sales to the 30-year-old mall, she said.

Rideau Centre general manager Cindy VanBuskirk and several other senior managers will remain through the transition, Ms. Stephen added.

The acquisition completes Cadillac Fairview's long road to taking over the centre, which began in the late 1990s.

Cadillac Fairview first garnered a 31-per-cent interest in the shopping centre when Eaton's, the original co-developer, sold out its position, Ms. Stephen said.

In 2008, most of the other owners chose to exit the mall and Cadillac Fairview acquired an additional 38-per-cent interest, as well as control of leasing activity.

Then owned by Viking Rideau Corp., other investors in the shopping mall at the time included Ontrea Inc., 885510 Ontario Ltd. and three minority individual shareholders, according to global credit agency DBRS.

Cadillac Fairview eventually bought out Viking Rideau in 2010.

The Rideau Centre's urban location in a city with an "affluent demographic" attracted Cadillac Fairview, Ms. Stephen said.

"We love urban centres; that fits our strategy as well," she said of the company, which also owns the Toronto Eaton Centre, Vancouver's Pacific Centre and Calgary's Chinook Centre.

"It's centrally located, lots of transportation (and has) lots of attributes that are very appealing."

In an earlier interview, Ms. VanBuskirk said there are several U.S. retailers who should already be in Ottawa, including Crate & Barrel, Victoria's Secret, J.Crew, Anthropologie and H&M, but that are being held back by the city's tight retail market.

"The reason they are not here is either that they are just coming to Canada and just going into the Toronto market, and Ottawa is a year or two away, or - as in the case of H&M - they haven't been able to get the right real estate here. They can't find the right location, with the right size at the right time," she said.

"(H&M) will be in Ottawa sooner rather than later, but probably not at the Rideau Centre because we don't have the space for them."

Other retailers Ms. VanBuskirk would like to see in Ottawa include Juicy Couture, Brooks Brothers, Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn.

"They are retailers that we talk to all the time. We just don't have the real estate for them," said Ms. VanBuskirk.

-With a report by Peter Kovessy

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:
They would prefer to do fancy stuff in new development but not on St-Joseph. Just sad how this artery is being neglected.
Agree this would be fantastic, and a great decision. Too bad we will never see it. Could you imagine? Wow...

Also great news on Rideau Centre. Anxious to see how their expansion plans play out. It will be a big impact on the downtown shopping area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy