HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:51 AM

I would suggest something like Duncan, its got all the amenities and its near Victoria(45 minute drive). My parents moved to near by shawnigan lake last year and i was living with them and commuting to downtown vic for work before moving back to Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 AM

Just came across this thread and thought that I would chime in. After the fact.

Was gonna mention North Nanaimo, Lantzville, Nanoose Bay, Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Courtenay, Comox, Campbell River corridor on the east coast of Van Isle as it seems to be a haven for out-of-province retirees. Especially from Alberta. Even former Nfld. premier Brian Peckford counts as one of those retirees situate there.

Recreation and sport fishing is great. Great ambiance from spring through fall. A posted 120 km per hour speed limit on the connecting freeway provides quick access to Nanaimo and the ferry to Vancouver. IIRC, they will also be constructing new hospitals in both Courtenay and Campbell River area as well.

OTOH, can receive more snow than Metro Vancouver due to the `lake effect` of arctic air crossing the Strait of Georgia and picking up moisture, at times, during the winter.

The Okanagan Valley is great too. Spend a good chunk of my summers in the south Okanagan Valley (Osoyoos and Penticton) every year but one must remember that the temps. can reach 40C+ at times. Even though it is `dry` heat akin to the U.S. SW, with negligible humidity, can be uncomfortable for some elderly folk.

And the eastern Fraser Valley communities of Abbotsford and Chilliwack can receive some quite cold temps. (compared to Vancouver) during the winter when an `arctic airflow` blows from the north and east into the Fraser Valley. Can be cold and snowing in these locales yet be mild and raining in Metro Vancouver. Summer temps. here can also be 10+ higher than coastal temps. in Vancouver due to the `natural air-conditioning effect` provided by the Strait of Georgia.

A couple of other suggestions, even one that ya mentioned right off the bat - White Rock and relatively neighbouring Tsawwassen - the far southern Metro Van suburbs. I live in the former and grew up in the latter. Both are surrounded by beaches, great ambiance, and somewhat laid back compared to Van City itself. And I am in Van City virtually weekly for dining, entertainment, etc., etc. Great freeway and highway links to the Van Isle ferries, YVR, Van City, Seattle, interior BC. Also coach fast bus to subway (Canada Line) connecting into downtown Vancouver.

Temperate summers and winters due to, again, `air-conditioning effect` from the Strait of Georgia. Hell, not even a trace of snow in White Rock this winter. Oddly enough, was disappointed in same. Additionally can be cloudy or raining in Vancouver proper (due to clouds lingering against mountains) while sunny in both Tsawwassen and White Rock. These two locales receive the most sunshine hours in Metro Vancouver along with lowest rainfall.

Also, both are separated by statutory mandated farmland from rest of Metro Vancouver, which provides a certain detachment feel. Furthermore, a condo or rental can still be within most folk`s financial reach.

Would suggest that ya travel and get a good feel for all the locales mentioned herein. Then, and only then, will ya acquaint yourself with a locale that ya will feel personally most comfortable with.

Last edited by Stingray2004; Apr 20, 2015 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:43 AM
BANNED

I'd move into the interior, I think the lack of seasonal variation on the coast would be brutal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:59 PM
of Canada

I'll give Vernon another vote. I also grew up there and would live there again. Can really add to what the others have said but here are a few photos I took a couple of years ago (I've posted them before but seems appropriate for this thread).

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada